• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Tablet Age - Intuos maintenance/ugprade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers to all the digital artists out there on GAF, been a real pleasure seeing your awesome work around.

Anyways, I'm hoping some long-term Wacom Intuos owners can help me out with some advice. I own a 6x8 Intuos SE (that's right, GD model though at least it's USB) that's definitely seen better days...

1) the nib has been getting really short and now has a pronounced angled edge
2) had to stick some electrical tape on to hold the USB cord in place and keep it from straining the internal wiring
3) the plastic covering's got an area where it's scratched up, causing the stylus to catch or not register strokes occasionally

That said, its pressure sensitivity is still fine and I've gotten used to working around the issues while drawing on it.

My questions arising from these issues are...

1) Has anyone tried the alternative nibs (eg felt and stroke)? I was just going to order some replacement plastic ones since I'm so used to it, but it might be cool to have a different feel/texture once in a while. Are they worth the extra cash?

2) I was thinking of opening it up to reseat the USB cable. The thing is, the entire housing is so thin and it's held together solely by what look like plastic clips, so I'm afraid that if I pry the halves apart it's not going to close together as tightly when I put it back together. Has anyone ever opened up their Intuos for maintenance before?

2) I've heard of people using replacement surfaces such as clear file folders instead of ordering one from Wacom... which seems like a great alternative considering how much they're charging ($40 for a piece of plastic, really?). Any specific materials or brands that I should be looking out for?

That said... perhaps I should consider just upgrading to the Intuos4? My Intuos is sadly 4:3, which means I've had to adjust to working on widescreen monitors with it... would be nice to have a surface that matches my display's aspect ratio. Aside from that, is the side panel with its extra buttons really that useful? I dunno if I really want to spend $300 when my current tablet is still functional and I'm so familiar with keyboard shortcuts anyways.

Thanks in advance, guys.

OatmealMu

Thanks in advance, guys.[/QUOTE]

1) Has anyone tried the alternative nibs (eg felt and stroke)? I was just going to order some replacement plastic ones since I'm so used to it, but it might be cool to have a different feel/texture once in a while. Are they worth the extra cash?

I have an Intuos4, so I'm not sure how much of this will apply to you. Still, I can tell you the differences between nibs.

Felt: Definitely more grippy than the stock nib. I didn't find it appealing on the Intuos4's
Stroke: Quite nice, actually. The spring is noticeable and gives pleasant feedback. Seems more suited for painting rather than drawing.
Flex: Feels damn good on the Intuos4. The soft tip really glides across the surface. I would not be against this being the "standard" nib.

Something to consider is making tips yourself. While I've yet to try it myself, apparently, 1.6mm line for a string trimmer cut to size will fit inside a pen.

C8qlX.jpg

I'm going to try this soon.

2) I've heard of people using replacement surfaces such as clear file folders instead of ordering one from Wacom... which seems like a great alternative considering how much they're charging ($40 for a piece of plastic, really?). Any specific materials or brands that I should be looking out for?

I recently ordered one of these from an Amazon seller. I've also heard that iPad surface covers will fit if you don't mind the hole. A little trimming should make it fit your 4:3 tablet.

That said... perhaps I should consider just upgrading to the Intuos4? My Intuos is sadly 4:3, which means I've had to adjust to working on widescreen monitors with it... would be nice to have a surface that matches my display's aspect ratio. Aside from that, is the side panel with its extra buttons really that useful? I dunno if I really want to spend $300 when my current tablet is still functional and I'm so familiar with keyboard shortcuts anyways.

I went from a 4:3 Graphire4 to a 16:9 Intuos4. Honestly, I didn't have a problem on a widescreen monitor with the Graphire. Something I noticed after switching to the Intuos was that horizontal strokes felt much longer when drawing. As far as the side buttons go, I'm really digging them. They're completely customizable and are application specific. The OLEDs make remembering what button does what a non-issue. The scroll wheel is my favorite feature. For everyday computer use, I stick to the tablet, and the less time I'm reaching over to the keyboard the better. You can cycle through 4 different functions, and with being able to customize the wheel for each application, it's plenty enough for me. Oh, and the scroll wheel is actually a touch pad.

As far as upgrading goes, if you're happy with your tablet and it's still functioning... Well, I'd stick with it. I switched because I wanted more features and functionality. And hey, a $285 Intuos4 was hard to pass up.

LogicStep

While we are on the subject of tablets, does anyone have one of those tablets that are a screen in itself so that you actually work directly on the image? How well does it work, is it worth the money? I've seen the price on those are super steep. Is one better off buying a regular tablet?

zazrx said:
While we are on the subject of tablets, does anyone have one of those tablets that are a screen in itself so that you actually work directly on the image? How well does it work, is it worth the money? I've seen the price on those are super steep. Is one better off buying a regular tablet?

Unless I'm mistaken the separate tablets have a lot more levels of pressure sensitivity compared to laptop tablet.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
ExMachina said:
Anyways, I'm hoping some long-term Wacom Intuos owners can help me out with some advice. I own a 6x8 Intuos SE (that's right, GD model though at least it's USB) that's definitely seen better days...

1) the nib has been getting really short and now has a pronounced angled edge
2) had to stick some electrical tape on to hold the USB cord in place and keep it from straining the internal wiring
3) the plastic covering's got an area where it's scratched up, causing the stylus to catch or not register strokes occasionally

That said, its pressure sensitivity is still fine and I've gotten used to working around the issues while drawing on it.

Buying an Intuos 4 will not resolve any of those problems, sadly. In fact, they are bound to show up far sooner in the new model than they did on your older one. That has been the main concern with the Intuos 4, and there is a large on-going thread on the European Wacom forums: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1438&sid=d6fe73204e7a7e8aa4cc06fe240b2f12 Mainly the problem is that the nibs wear out extremely quickly, and the surface is easily damaged. Many people feel upset about it, and the issue hasn't been formally addressed by Wacom. But the nib wear is most likely due to the new surface having a rougher texture to it.

However - despite these issues, I have a large Intuos 4 and I love it. It comes with several nibs, but I have already destroyed 3 of them (some owners report going through a nib in as quick as a week's time - it has taken me at least 2 months to wear through one nib though). The surface is scratched from use, and the USB port seems a bit wiggly - but still working. Some users have suggested using a plastic sheet, paper, or do-it-yourself replacement nibs. Personally I don't care enough to try any of these things and can deal with the wear and scratches.

The Intuos 4 is a great tablet - no doubt, but be aware of what problems could, or might arise before making a purchase decision. Also be aware that you won't be solving any of the issues from your prior tablet by buying a new one. I bought my tablet with this in mind and I'm still satisfied with it, but I really wish Wacom would offer alternative surface choices. The "paper-texture" thing they are going for is cool, but I much prefer the slicker surface of the Intuos 3. I know that you can buy an over-sized Intuos 3 surface and cut it to fit a smaller Intuos 4, but I like keeping my electronics stock whenever possible.

Cheers and good luck finding a solution that works.

LogicStep

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Unless I'm mistaken the separate tablets have a lot more levels of pressure sensitivity compared to laptop tablet.
Yeah I don't mean a laptop, I mean an actual tablet like the ones being discussed here but they are a screen in itself.

skyfinch

zazrx said:
Yeah I don't mean a laptop, I mean an actual tablet like the ones being discussed here but they are a screen in itself.

Wacom Cintiq. Tons of videos on youtube. I've used it once, while it was on display at a store. There is a bit of lag.

They are expensive. Over a grand.

Considering the price, and the fact that you can create nice artwork on normal tablets, I personally don't think they are worth it. Price needs to drop before I would consider buying one.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to OatmealMu and Extollere for the excellent info!

I've resisted the urge to upgrade before (tried out both the I2 and I3 when friends picked them up), so I'm probably just going to stick with my Intuos SE... as slick as the extra accessories and functionality are (especially the LED buttons and touchpad/wheel), I don't like the sound of having to replace the nibs so often due to the rougher surface. Feeling more like pencil on paper is great and all, but I've gotten so used to the lack of resistance that I'm ok with staying with plastic-on-plastic.

The Intuos4 seems like a great product and I'd love to try out one... but I don't need to own one when my trusty old Intuos is still working fine, especially since I'm just a hobbyist.

I guess I'll go the complete opposite of upgrading and try the DIY options mentioned to save money... Looking into trimmer line and iPad cover to refresh my tablet, hopefully I get the chance to grab the materials some time tomorrow.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
ExMachina said:
Thanks to OatmealMu and Extollere for the excellent info!

I've resisted the urge to upgrade before (tried out both the I2 and I3 when friends picked them up), so I'm probably just going to stick with my Intuos SE... as slick as the extra accessories and functionality are (especially the LED buttons and touchpad/wheel), I don't like the sound of having to replace the nibs so often due to the rougher surface. Feeling more like pencil on paper is great and all, but I've gotten so used to the lack of resistance that I'm ok with staying with plastic-on-plastic.

The Intuos4 seems like a great product and I'd love to try out one... but I don't need to own one when my trusty old Intuos is still working fine, especially since I'm just a hobbyist.

I guess I'll go the complete opposite of upgrading and try the DIY options mentioned to save money... Looking into trimmer line and iPad cover to refresh my tablet, hopefully I get the chance to grab the materials some time tomorrow.

Let us know how it works out. FWIW - I can still recommend the Intuos 4, it's great - despite a few shortcomings.. Also Oatmeal, I didn't know that Wacom sells a surface cover now? I can't seem to find it on their official site, and all that's listed on Amazon is the one for the medium sized Intuos. Please let us know what it's like and how it works after your receive it.

Arcipello

skyfinch said:
Wacom Cintiq. Tons of videos on youtube. I've used it once, while it was on display at a store. There is a bit of lag.

Considering the price, and the fact that you can create nice artwork on normal tablets, I personally don't think they are worth it. Price needs to drop before I would consider buying one.

i use the new 21" cintiq at work and have the 18" version at home, couldnt use a standard tablet anymore, the disconnected feedback is too off putting for me. But yeah i totally agree the price needs to plummet, but that will only happen when Wacom get some serious competition :(

Mik2121

skyfinch said:

The lag was because of the computer you were using.

I've used both Cintiq on many stores (pretty much every time I go to a big electronic store over here, I go to where the Cintiq are and play around with it a bit) and almost every time it works smoothly.

I don't enjoy the smaller one all that much though, but the big one? That thing is just amazing. I still don't have the money to buy one so I have an Intuos 3 (large) to use at home and a Bamboo (the $90 one) to use when I'm outside.

rossonero

I've always wanted to get a Wacom but being a student it isn't economically ppssible right now. I was thinking though maybe getting a Bamboo just to get the feeling for tablets. Good idea or no?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Okay! Here's what I grabbed from Lowes and Walmart... 1.65mm trimmer line ($3), a set of plastic dividers ($4), and an iPad screen protector ($10).

HbgjI.jpg

Pic of the plastic divider cut down to size/applied as the new surface and the trimmer used as a nib. You can see the original Wacom nib off to the side with some extra ones I cut out. The trimmer diameter is a little bit smaller than the actual nib's, but if you cut the line cleanly (this is very important, if the end is irregular it doesn't play nice with the pressure sensor in the stylus), straighten it (otherwise it'll catch on the side and won't return to "neutral"), and seat it properly it works just as well. The texture of the divider is a little bit rougher than the original plastic.

GOua8.jpg

I thought about applying the iPad screen protector to either the original surface or a divider to get a glossier/smoother feel, but I like the new texture and it'll save me some money to return it. :p

A little classic Solid Snake I drew for testing purposes...

rsPD7.jpg

So yeah, these cheap alternative materials for replacement parts do work! Hopefully I get access to a trimmer soon so I can cut out another divider to size but with proper straight edges, heh.

OatmealMu

Extollere said:
Let us know how it works out. FWIW - I can still recommend the Intuos 4, it's great - despite a few shortcomings.. Also Oatmeal, I didn't know that Wacom sells a surface cover now? I can't seem to find it on their official site, and all that's listed on Amazon is the one for the medium sized Intuos. Please let us know what it's like and how it works after your receive it.

Just received the Intuos4 surface protector today.

eXSre.jpg

It's definitely not produced by Wacom, unless the seller took it out of the original packaging and put it in a Ziploc bag. :p In terms of size, it's a little larger than the tablet's drawing area. The surface quality is... I don't know yet. I need to find an area with less animals running about and install it there.

Oh, and it cost me around $15 with shipping.

OatmealMu

ketMb.jpg

Got it installed with little trouble. The side that faces the tablet isn't entirely sticky -- only the parts under the white tape have an adhesive applied. The surface is like that of Graphire4 but softer. It's very smooth and soft now. The instructions say the protector will "last for many months of use" so we'll see how things go. As long as my nibs last a while, I'll be happy.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nice... but... hmmmm why is it that they aren't selling this on their site? And why is it only available in Medium. Is it an official product??

Futureman

This is a random question, but I just got the Intuos 4 Small, and it comes with a little pen stand. If you unscrew the stand, there's like 9 pen nibs in there. Are they all the same and just included as replacements, or do they give you different drawing options??

edit: I read a little in here, and still a bit confused. So there are different tips, but how do I know which are which? What tip comes installed on the pen?

Also, how do you set the buttons to do different things in Photoshop? I NEED to set one of the buttons to "Step Backwards." Ha.

Epcott

Thanks goodness someone made a thread about tablets. Whew. GG ExMachina!

Im waiting for Wacom to have CINTIQ 21UX in stock on their site, since it's $500 cheaper to get it from them than Newegg. But they have yet to get back to me :(

Currently I have a Bamboo Fun. I considered getting the Intuos , but I'd feel more comfortable with the artwork visible on the pad, and I love the tilt sensitivity on the 21UX (I just hope Adobe CS Suite and Corel Painter recognize the extra sensitivity, if not, it'll be a pain finding a program to make use of it). Speaking of which, has anyone tried the Autodesk SketchBook Designer 2011? I wonder if it's worth the price.

To be honest,
I reaaaaally wish Wacom would just release a high sensitivity android tablet that's made specifically for artists on the go, so they wouldn't have to be stuck in front of the pc/laptop/mac. As of yet, I could not find a tablet pc with the right sensitivity or lack of lag, and I don't hear of many people using a Modbook, so that's out of the question. I know Autodesk also has SketchBook Mobile for tablets, but would a slimmed down mobile app be adequate for professional work?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've got Intuos large. Can I rest my hand on the surface, while drawing sometimes? Also I see that my hand smears the surface a bit, is there any way to clean it or it doesn't really matter anyway?

OatmealMu

Futureman said:
This is a random question, but I just got the Intuos 4 Small, and it comes with a little pen stand. If you unscrew the stand, there's like 9 pen nibs in there. Are they all the same and just included as replacements, or do they give you different drawing options??

edit: I read a little in here, and still a bit confused. So there are different tips, but how do I know which are which? What tip comes installed on the pen?

Also, how do you set the buttons to do different things in Photoshop? I NEED to set one of the buttons to "Step Backwards." Ha.

I may have got the names wrong, but...

If they included the same tips I got with my Medium, you should have 3 felt nibs (gray), 5 standard nibs (black), 1 stroke nib (gray with a spring in the middle), and 1 flex nib (black with a zit on the end). Yes, they do feel different. Flex is my favorite. The default tip is the black, nylon nib. Watch for any wear on these, as they tend to go quick despite what Wacom might say.

They key command for multiple undos is Alt-Control-Z on a PC. Open up the tablet properties, click on "Functions" then the "ExpressKeys" tab. Click on the dropdown menu for the button you want to use, and select "Keystroke..." Your keystrokes will now be recorded, so be careful what you type. Hold Alt-Control-Z and click "OK". Now name the shortcut "OatmealMu is sexy", click "OK" again and... Done!

http://imgur.com/MANfx

Hi GAF, I really need advice on which Wacom tablet to get.

Purpose for tablet:
- Sorta serious hobby. Nothing professional.
- Mainly for storyboarding and frame-by-frame Flash animation.
- Get decent at raster drawing.

These are all the tablets they sell:
http://www.villman.com/Category/Tablets
http://www.pcgilmore.com.ph/downloads/pricelist_lettersize.pdf

The cheaper ones cost about ~PhP6,000 (~$133). Now I'm wondering:
a) Should I settle with just 4x6?
b) Should I get a 6x9 instead? Is it worth double the price of a 4x6?
c) Would it be better to go with 6x9 Bamboo, or 4x6 Intuos4? Intuos4 is $50 more.

Gazunta

zazrx said:
I use a 12 inch Cintiq. I adore it to bits. To be honest using it hasn't improved my artwork at all, but MAN does it let me get stuff done faster. I draw a lot quicker and make a lot less mistakes using it.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it as your first digital drawing solution, but it is worth saving up for if you take this stuff seriously.

Those who own a 21 inch model swear by them, too, but I just can't wrap my head around that price tag.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Wolf Akela said:
Hi GAF, I really need advice on which Wacom tablet to get.
For me personally, 4x6 is too small of a working surface to be comfortable, so I would recommend getting the 6x9... However, if you're perfectly comfortable with drawing just from the wrist, the smaller size may work out fine. Hell, some people prefer a smaller dimensions because it requires less movement/effort to use. Try drawing on a postcard sized surface vs a letter-size sheet of paper and determine whether one is significantly more comfortable than the other.

As for Bamboo vs Intuos... For storyboarding and drawing in Flash, the Bamboo should be fine. However, for digital painting/detailed drawing in programs like Photoshop and Painter, the Intuos' extra pressure levels and tilt sensitivity are definitely very useful. My inclination is to save money for the extra functionality of the Intuos instead of getting a Bamboo and later discovering that you want to upgrade.

Buying a tablet will not necessarily result in improvement, but at the very least it may make you a more productive artist... and we all know that simply drawing more is how you get better. :)

skyfinch said:

Same amount of lag as none screen Wacom tablets. You just notice it better on the screen. The lag also depends on software. Photoshop is far worse than Painter.

It depends on what you do. If you do a lot of precision line art, it's advantage over regular Intuos is immense. If you mostly paint, then not so much.

It's really about whether you are use to regular tablet or not. If you are, then you'll feel that your hand just gets in the way (I get this a lot from my students). If you are new to tablets, then you'll think it's the best thing ever.

BTW, those doing do it yourself nib replacement: don't you dare take that pen on a Cintiq. It'll scratch the shit out of it and I'll kill you.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I posted this link in the art thread already, but forgot about this one. Basically, I got tired of scratching my tablet surface and wearing down the nibs, I got tired of the surface feeling as well. So I took the thing apart, Reversed the sensor board and unplugged the cables to the buttons. I mounted it this way, with the LED flipped face side up, and the casing upside down, to the bottom of my desk. It works like a fucking dream. I can use the Wacom pen directly on the smooth surface of my glass desk, and the light gives a little feedback to me through the surface.

http://vimeo.com/24248969

This is awesome, and so much better than drawing on the tablet surface directly.

Zaptruder

Banned
Haven't used my Cintiq much since I got it... but I really appreciate that it lets me draw in a style... unique to the cintiq.

Just working on a piece of art now, that I'd have no capacity to do with in traditional media. And I'm talking only about the line work.

Shogmaster said:
For me personally, 4x6 is too small of a working surface to be comfortable, so I would recommend getting the 6x9... However, if you're perfectly comfortable with drawing just from the wrist, the smaller size may work out fine. Hell, some people prefer a smaller dimensions because it requires less movement/effort to use. Try drawing on a postcard sized surface vs a letter-size sheet of paper and determine whether one is significantly more comfortable than the other.

As for Bamboo vs Intuos... For storyboarding and drawing in Flash, the Bamboo should be fine. However, for digital painting/detailed drawing in programs like Photoshop and Painter, the Intuos' extra pressure levels and tilt sensitivity are definitely very useful. My inclination is to save money for the extra functionality of the Intuos instead of getting a Bamboo and later discovering that you want to upgrade.

Buying a tablet will not necessarily result in improvement, but at the very least it may make you a more productive artist... and we all know that simply drawing more is how you get better. :)

Thanks. I just bit. I got the 4x6 Bamboo P&T. It's used but the condition is quite good and includes everything. I managed to save $50.

I doubt I'll get too serious with paintings. I bought the tablet for now just because I want to speed up storyboarding and FBF animation. I'm not too good at freehand mouse drawing so I stuck with line tools in vector.

edit: first few sketches. I love the tablet and I'm starting to appreciate pressure levels now! Drawn in Pencil (software).
yCple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom