• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grasshopper Manufacture remaking The Silver Case for PC in Unity 5

Golnei

The voice synth/vocoder really reminds me of the way Whisper was used in No More Heroes (and the distorted spirit voices in Killer7, to a lesser extent). Was it a part of the original release as well?

cj_iwakura

The voice synth/vocoder really reminds me of the way Whisper was used in No More Heroes (and the distorted spirit voices in Killer7, to a lesser extent). Was it a part of the original release as well?

Yes. A lot of little audio touches in the game go on to appear in NMH. (And FSR)

Have a bad feeling there's a new OP... but I guess we'll see.

The Original

cj_iwakura

Man I want this...

CnZQIdCUsAADyaB.jpg

CnZQMY7UEAAg6oE.jpg

Saw it at Nakano in Tokyo. It's a publicity pamphlet, sold for around 3000Y.

Drain You

Holy shit a demo out of nowhere!? Wish I wasn't at works.

Edit: After playing the demo, I'm not sure how I feel. It's got that old school Suda feel to it so I do like that. Gameplay seems very limited which I knew, but besides being limited it's confusing, maybe I'll try it a few more times but I didn't seem to understand the controls that well. Regardless I'll probably pick this up and play through it.

cj_iwakura

Kind of brief, but a new TSC devlog went live today, from the translator:
http://playism-games.com/article/the-silver-case-devlog-2

The Silver Case was originally released way back in the halcyon days of 1999, and with this latest iteration of the game scheduled to be released this year (2016), a bit of simple geometry tells us that it took approximately a bunch of years for the game to receive an English localization. Why did it take so long for this to happen? Apart from any possible behind-the-scenes troubles or legal problems which may have occurred and of which I would not be aware, I would like to submit my own professional opinion that the delay was due to the fact that “this shit was hella hard”.

big fake

The demo captivated me from the get go, the Suda touch was all there and it seemed like it would lend it self to a really fresh experience. It kinda reminds me of Boogie pop Phantom if some of you have seen that anime. I do get the gameplay might be odd but I assume it will grow on us and for me Suda's games aren't played for their gameplay foremost.

We haven't had much word about the LRG release. I guess it's safe to assume the physical version is not coming out at the same time as the digital release?

Wh-who . . . who's with me on double dipping? :p

cj_iwakura

We haven't had much word about the LRG release. I guess it's safe to assume the physical version is not coming out at the same time as the digital release?

Wh-who . . . who's with me on double dipping? :p

You won't need to? The physical one will come with a steam code... and they'd be kind of crazy to wait until after release to announce it. :p But if they don't... yeah, I'm with you.

Really really candid Suda interview here.

http://www.gamesradar.com/before-there-was-suda51-there-was-the-silver-case/

He's also reminded of the relative ease with which even a game as strange as The Silver Case could've been made 18 years ago. "I want to think that the real core of game development hasn't changed," Suda51 tells me, "but put simply, what's changed the most in the past 20 years or so is, back in the day, if you wanted to make a game, you had a meeting, and you talked about what kind of game you wanted to make, then you made the game.

Nowadays, to be blunt about it, there's all these pointless-ass meetings, where you've got to report every single thing to a bunch of people, and all these people who don't even need to be there have to be in the meeting, and constantly talking about stuff. There's not really the opportunity to just talk about a game and make it any more; you gotta set up everything and get everything worked out, get it cleared by a bunch of people. It's a real bitch to have to go through this whole entire process for every single little thing."

"As far as games are concerned," he says, "people talk about indie games, AAA games - personally, I don't give a shit about either of those. I want to make the kind of games that game-players play, and that people find interesting... I became Suda51 with Killer7, and since then, I haven't made an adventure game yet. So, as Suda51, I'd like to make an adventure game and see how it turns out."

Eusis

Might explain how the stuff we saw from the likes of SE or Nintendo hasn't been quite the same since then. Nintendo seems to be REALLY safe with how Mario's presented for example while they were more fast and loose in the 90s and 80s. I can see a lot of Brand Management going on now that wasn't there in the past. Nevermind how SE used to just do whatever with RPGs and now it's usually more reserved. Just greenlighting SO5 and Setsuna is bold compared to most of last gen on consoles.

Saw this tweet from the Japanese twitter account, which (roughly) says, "A limited pacakge edition has started going on sale overseas. Our apologies, but please wait for more details about a domestic version".

I guess this implies there might be a Japanese physical version, as well! If so, would anybody double dip?

Saw this tweet from the Japanese twitter account, which (roughly) says, "A limited pacakge edition has started going on sale overseas. Our apologies, but please wait for more details about a domestic version".

I guess this implies there might be a Japanese physical version, as well! If so, would anybody double dip?

I have already double dipped, so that would be triple or quadruple dipping...

Top Bottom