• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case [PS4] Review Thread

cj_iwakura

Cv9W5ENVYAA3WlD.jpg

Reviews are slowly coming in.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-silver-case

Digitally Downloaded (80/100)
The Silver Case adopts a similar spartan approach to storytelling as L.A. Confidential. It’s a visual novel that covers a lot of ground by keeping embellishments to a minimum, emphasising the key moments with vivid, often shocking, imagery. The mastery of the storytelling lies in that, despite the minimalist approach to the text, the characterisation is superb, and each and every character has their own distinct personality. You won’t like all of them; this is a noir tale, after all, but you’ll be left with no sense that any of the game’s characters are dry.

Dualshockers (80/100)
Exclusive to the PlayStation 4 version are two extra chapters that I refrain from going into detail with for fans who are planning on returning to the game after playing the PC version. What I will say: it must have been fun and exciting for the developers to go back and create these extra chapters. Both chapters feel very real and authentic to a game that released almost 20 years ago. I imagined what it would be like to play the game without these chapters and I could honestly feel like something is missing.

Playstation Lifestyle
(70/100)
The Silver Case is definitely not for everyone. While it’s visuals and presentation may prove interesting to some, the issues with its gameplay and some of its storytelling could turn off others. Those unfamiliar with Suda’s style may find the themes and pacing of the game remarkably slow. But fans of Suda’s work will definitely enjoy The Silver Case as it showcases his unique style incredibly well. Regardless of its setbacks, the PS4 release of The Silver Case is a unique and complex experience that could easily draw in those who are open to playing something undeniably strange and different.

Keengamer
(6.8/10)
If, like us, you're rabid Suda51 fans, then consider The Silver Case a must-buy. The influence of it on later titles like Killer7 are visible almost immediately, and the story is yet another example of how Suda51's versatility is unmatched. If, however, you've only ever played the lovably wonky No More Heroes series, but think the idea of a visual novel sounds dreadful, then you may have to pass on this one. Unless, of course, you'd like Grasshopper Manufacture's other quirky titles to get re-releases (or better yet, sequels!)--then you ought to do yourself a favor and give The Silver Case a try.
The PC version, to compare:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-silver-case
(67)

nynt9

Wait, I don't get it. Is it a bad port? Otherwise why are the scores so low? The game is good and well received on Steam. Is this a case of disconnect between the audience and reviewers?

i-Jest

I trust DualShockers, so that 80 is fine for me. I was gonna get it regardless of what others said anyway.

cj_iwakura

Wait, I don't get it. Is it a bad port? Otherwise why are the scores so low? The game is good and well received on Steam. Is this a case of disconnect between the audience and reviewers?
It's very much not for everyone. The game is obtuse and is almost 90% reading. It rewards insight and contemplation.

JPS Kai

My current thoughts aren't too far from that aggregate score. The pacing is much slower than it rightfully should be and trying to do the second scenario in one sitting is among the worst moments in gaming I've played this year.
And I loved Flower, Sun and Rain.

I'm withholding my review for the time being until I can play the two new chapters which I've been having some unique issues with.

My current thoughts aren't too far from that aggregate score. The pacing is much slower than it rightfully should be and trying to do the second scenario in one sitting is among the worst moments in gaming I've played this year.

I'm withholding my review for the time being until I can play the two new chapters which I've been having some unique issues with.

It has the worst typewriter sound effect in the history of gaming.

cj_iwakura

Are you doing the Placebo chapters after each Transmitter case?

i preordered the LE but can you access the new content without playing the game? already went through it once on pc. is the translation any different also?

JPS Kai

Oh. Well, it made things needlessly difficult on you.

Yeah, the feedback loop with Tokio is really not fun given the archaic controls.

On a weird note, my final Transmitter
chapter is called Danwa, not Tamura. Was this changed with the latest version or did I miss something and get an alternate ending?

cj_iwakura

Yeah, the feedback loop with Tokio is really not fun given the archaic controls.

On a weird note, my final Transmitter
chapter is called Danwa, not Tamura. Was this changed with the latest version or did I miss something and get an alternate ending?
There are no alternate endings.

randomkid

the reviews are totally fair, this is just a case where you need to read the text instead of just thinking the score tells you everything you need to know. every one of the reviews lavishes praise on the story and atmosphere and says that the game is a must-play if you have any fondness whatsoever for killer 7 suda.

voodew

Neo Member
is this like ace attorney? i just picked up killer 7 for ps2 but haven't played it yet.
Not at all like Ace Attorney. Just straight up reading, not much interaction besides walking from door to door, talking to people, and entering codes. Story is super unique, but definetly not as straight forward as AA. I'd still say it's worth it for a phonomenal experience full of mindfuckery that will stay in your head for days.

Gacha-pin

is this like ace attorney? i just picked up killer 7 for ps2 but haven't played it yet.

1999 the end of the century decadent-ish cyber thriller sound novel.

I quite enjoyed the story back in the days. I don't know if it works in 2017 though. I can't wait to play it again. I'm glad I didn't jump to the pc version. I want to play it on vita.

Dascu

Well this is certainly disappointing :(

It's been out for a few months on PC already. There's nothing 'new' here: it's a stylish and off-beat visual novel. If you liked Flower, Sun and Rain or want a version of Killer7 that's only story, then this is your game. Personally I loved it.

It's been out for a few months on PC already. There's nothing 'new' here: it's a stylish and off-beat visual novel. If you liked Flower, Sun and Rain or want a version of Killer7 that's only story, then this is your game. Personally I loved it.

Actually, you're wrong there. Two brand new scenarios in the PS4 version with one written by Suda himself, the other scenario written by his co-writer, supposedly they will tie into the sequel, Ward 25.

AHA-Lambda

The scores weren't massively high on PC either.

Not at all like Ace Attorney. Just straight up reading, not much interaction besides walking from door to door, talking to people, and entering codes. Story is super unique, but definetly not as straight forward as AA. I'd still say it's worth it for a phonomenal experience full of mindfuckery that will stay in your head for days.

1999 the end of the century decadent-ish cyber thriller sound novel.

I quite enjoyed the story back in the days. I don't know if it works in 2017 though. I can't wait to play it again. I'm glad I didn't jump to the pc version. I want to play it on vita.
thanks guys

Top Bottom