• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Starting Episode 11.

This is... I mean, what a strange, fascinating game this is. I'm finding myself utterly frustrated with some elements of the game, but every time I'm at my breaking point, something surprisingly interesting happens in the story or something cool is introduced in the gameplay that brings me back in. This has happened a few times now.

I always hoped the first game would wind up being an Assassin's Creed 1 kind of deal, and I'm not sure that GR2 is the equivalent of AC2 (so far, at least), but man do I hope they somehow get to do a third someday to see if they can make it there.

Edit: This damn combat, man. Everything else in the transition from 1 to 2 got the bump I was hoping it would, but the combat is still punishingly lackluster. They added some things that make it more manageable, but it's just band-aids on a problem they really needed to address at the source.
Edit Edit: Yeah, now that I'm actually fighting the boss in ep11 and I'm two Game Overs deep I'm very quickly sliding back down to "actually, this is just kind of awful and not remotely fun."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just rolled through Episode 6 and still having a really good time though I keep getting distracted over and over again by trying to pick up gems scattered around the world. I'm generally enjoying the missions overall though I enjoy fighting Nevi and the like more than some of the more tedious ones like just flying from place to place. Still the game is absolutely charming in the best possible way even if there are some mechanical frustrations like the camera freaking out at times.

Oh and the music is great through out. Really love the jazzy theme playing in the rich people districft.

Is it me or is this the most overlooked game of 2017? I predict it will remain that way. I haven't really played much yet, but what I played was incredible.

I also love the first person mode.

If it wasn't for the occasional camera/positional glitches, this game would be perfect. But those are easily overlooked considering just how much is happening (and the scale of everything) at certain points.
I don't know how this ends (and I don't need to know just yet), but I am sad that we probably will never see a Gravity Rush 3.

Man, Military Kat would be awesome, if not for that stupid nazi-esque armband she's got going on. No idea who thought that would be a good idea.

The other costumes are on point though. Mostly using Work Kat, Catsuit (for the stealth missions) or Maid Kat.

Man, Military Kat would be awesome, if not for that stupid nazi-esque armband she's got going on. No idea who thought that would be a good idea.

The other costumes are on point though. Mostly using Work Kat, Catsuit (for the stealth missions) or Maid Kat.

Yeah, I don't like that costume either. It kinda looks cool, but it doesn't fit her personality at all. And it looks too Nazi.

I have a weakness for the PSO2 costume though. Pfhwoar.

Starting Episode 11.

This is... I mean, what a strange, fascinating game this is. I'm finding myself utterly frustrated with some elements of the game, but every time I'm at my breaking point, something surprisingly interesting happens in the story or something cool is introduced in the gameplay that brings me back in. This has happened a few times now.

I always hoped the first game would wind up being an Assassin's Creed 1 kind of deal, and I'm not sure that GR2 is the equivalent of AC2 (so far, at least), but man do I hope they somehow get to do a third someday to see if they can make it there.

Edit: This damn combat, man. Everything else in the transition from 1 to 2 got the bump I was hoping it would, but the combat is still punishingly lackluster. They added some things that make it more manageable, but it's just band-aids on a problem they really needed to address at the source.
Edit Edit: Yeah, now that I'm actually fighting the boss in ep11 and I'm two Game Overs deep I'm very quickly sliding back down to "actually, this is just kind of awful and not remotely fun."
I don't remember much about the episode 11 boss, because, well, I hung back when my health got low and then the boss died without me doing anything else. I never saw a game over during a story mission until episode 14 or 15.

In any case, episode 11 is too early to pass judgement on the combat because you don't even have every Gravity style at that point in the game.

SlickVic

Finished chapter 8 so don't think I've reached the frustrating parts people have talked about, but so far I'm really liking the verticality of the game's world. Almost feels like you're traveling between mini-planets, with the high in the sky affluent mansions and the slums all the way on the bottom. Really enjoying the traversal and reminds me a bit of Saints Row IV and Sunset Overdrive where I'd spend time just flying or gliding around the game world because it felt so satisfying. Looking forward to playing more.

The more I think back on it, the more I remember this game fondly.

It truly was a massive improvement over the first, and felt so polished in so many ways.

(Can't wait for the full soundtrack in March)

LotusHD

Banned
The more I think back on it, the more I remember this game fondly.

It truly was a massive improvement over the first, and felt so polished in so many ways.

(Can't wait for the full soundtrack in March)

I'm already going through withdrawal. I wish I could just erase my memory and do it all again. Atm, I'm settling for attempting to coerce my friend into playing it.

maouvin

Preview:

lCVQ5Ks.jpg

http://ameblo.jp/figma/entry-12248352564.html

late edit: derp forgot to rehost

Few gifs I forgot to post while I was wrapping the game up. So many hours of messing around with the mechanics, and I never got bored of them. Best traversal method ever.

mNBLxUV.gif

pJbUeBV.gif

I miss it already :(

Few gifs I forgot to post while I was wrapping the game up. So many hours of messing around with the mechanics, and I never got bored of them. Best traversal method ever.

When I turn the game on to do some treasure hunts and check pictures and stuff, I usually end up mostly doing the things that are happening in these gifs. It feels so good.

Roubjon

I just platinumed the game! I think I might actually go for 100% completion because I don't want to leave this awesome world. I only need 1 gesture, 3 pieces of furniture, and 6000 Dusty tokens....

Are doing the challenges important in this game as far as leveling up goes?
Or can I just pretty much stick to the story and a few side missions?

LotusHD

Banned
Are doing the challenges important in this game as far as leveling up goes?
Or can I just pretty much stick to the story and a few side missions?

They're not hard to, so I'd do them. But all the same, yea, you can just stick to doing the story and side missions.

mNBLxUV.gif

pJbUeBV.gif

Nice gifs. I haven't really had the opportunity to progress through the story much but I did manage to jump off this poor dude's head lol.
I'm also thinking of making a video compilation of just moving around when I finish the game. It is indeed the best traversal method ever. I've spent about 15 hours total doing just that.

LotusHD

Banned
There better be a way to get Raven's....raven to sit on her arm for that figma.

It's a crow actually.
Yea I know, such a troll lol

『Inaba Resident』;230510547 said:
Nice gifs. I haven't really had the opportunity to progress through the story much but I did manage to jump off this poor dude's head lol.

I'm also thinking of making a video compilation of just moving around. It is indeed the best traversal method ever

Now I gotta go from this game to Nier and BoTW. They seem not so bad (2B's running animation is nice for example), but nothing beats being able to "fly" lol

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just got to
Hekesville.

I wish they hadn't shown that off in any of the marketing material, it would have been a great surprise, and you can tell it was supposed to be.

Still, hearing that music, so good.

Just need the big Nevi trophy and the plat is mine.

I guess I have to just wait a bit every day and check in to see if there are any disturbances in the areas I need...

Oh, and if there has been one benefit to grinding for the gems to get the Power Kat and 60K gems trophies, it is that it helped me master the Lunar Dive move lol.

SlickVic

I've been getting a bit disoriented in some of these missions; losing track of what's up and what's down.
Getting through the labyrinth of Chapter 12 in some of those narrow spaces got a bit confusing.

Finished up Chapter 13. Been a few frustrating moments in story missions here and there, but overall I am enjoying it. I've only done 3 or 4 side missions up to this point, but I was mainly trying to advance the story to open up the side missions to get some new costumes. Once I get some more of those, think I'll go back and start clearing out more side missions.

Just need the big Nevi trophy and the plat is mine.

I guess I have to just wait a bit every day and check in to see if there are any disturbances in the areas I need...
When I was gunning for this one, I'd check before I went to work and after I got home. I think I only had to look 3 (maybe 4?) times to get the trophy. If the rotation is the same now as it was a few weeks ago, it should go really fast.

I woke up this morning so see that I'd broken the 6K Dusty Token mark, so I have officially 100%ed the game!

When I was gunning for this one, I'd check before I went to work and after I got home. I think I only had to look 3 (maybe 4?) times to get the trophy. If the rotation is the same now as it was a few weeks ago, it should go really fast.

I woke up this morning so see that I'd broken the 6K Dusty Token mark, so I have officially 100%ed the game!
Thanks for the info and congrats!

Blackthorn

mNBLxUV.gif

pJbUeBV.gif

Any tips for making the most of Lunar Mode? I really enjoy using it, but it feel very clumsy when I do.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have ended up going back and chippinga way at side quests I skipped. Some are definitely pretty decent, and they're less grating when you're just doing one or two here or there and not trying to finish them as they pop up and delaying progressing the story.

Don't know that I'll finish them all, but they're ok enough I'll keep chipping away at them as I'm killing gaming time until Horizon releases. :D

DylanEno

At least Raven's figma joints will be covered... rip Kat ;_;

『Inaba Resident』;230510547 said:

I'm also thinking of making a video compilation of just moving around when I finish the game. It is indeed the best traversal method ever. I've spent about 15 hours total doing just that.

HOW

Like, I manage to do some pretty sick stuff, but jumping off that dude's head like that?? How is that even possible and how did you manage to shoot up into the air like his head was a damn trampoline?

Blackthorn

How are you with doing the Lunar dive?
It's like a 50/50 chance I actually pull it off, and if I attempt to string some together it looks pretty sad.

I enjoy using the lunar jump though, especially for gem collecting, or just launching myself to get a better vantage point or clear the rooftops before shifting in normal style.

What messes me up a bit is because I like to use the gyro controls, the controller moves about when I reach my thumb to change stances. I'd have to disable gyro to keep my view steady, but after two games of using the gyro it's in my muscle memory.

Really not enjoying the lunar style, super frustrating to use at times.

Edit: Camera problems are also significantly worse on a console. Why it feels the need to change the default camera after doing a gravity kick I'll never know. I don't need my new centered camera to be sideways or upside down... At least on vita I could twist the console and the screen to push through it but instead it just make battle needlessly frustrating at times.

damn! finally started this, & are the first couple hours painfully slow/dull, or what? finally made it to the first real town so we'll see if things improve, but that whole mining section? imo, just miserable :( ...

It's like a 50/50 chance I actually pull it off, and if I attempt to string some together it looks pretty sad.

I enjoy using the lunar jump though, especially for gem collecting, or just launching myself to get a better vantage point or clear the rooftops before shifting in normal style.

What messes me up a bit is because I like to use the gyro controls, the controller moves about when I reach my thumb to change stances. I'd have to disable gyro to keep my view steady, but after two games of using the gyro it's in my muscle memory.
Mmm, I don't use the gyro controls so I am not sure if I could help.

Really not enjoying the lunar style, super frustrating to use at times.

Edit: Camera problems are also significantly worse on a console. Why it feels the need to change the default camera after doing a gravity kick I'll never know. I don't need my new centered camera to be sideways or upside down... At least on vita I could twist the console and the screen to push through it but instead it just make battle needlessly frustrating at times.
Yeah, the camera is bothersome.

What is frustrating about lunar style?

damn! finally started this, & are the first couple hours painfully slow/dull, or what? finally made it to the first real town so we'll see if things improve, but that whole mining section? imo, just miserable :( ...
Just an unnecessarily lengthy introduction to get you familiar with the mechanics. It is also for tone purposes.

Mmm, I don't use the gyro controls so I am not sure if I could help.

Yeah, the camera is bothersome.

What is frustrating about lunar style?

Just an unnecessarily lengthy introduction to get you familiar with the mechanics. It is also for tone purposes.

I can't seem to always get the moves to work and the tutorial mission for it, it seems to have the same sensitivity as the normal style for collecting the gems you use to power Kat up so he kept hoping over them or too far away where I would have to like hop away and then line up again because just pushing left wouldn't do it. The floatiness just felt difficult to control in general. I'll probably get used to it but it just felt hard to get her to move how I wanted her to. Might just be more amplified because of the camera, not sure. That section was bothering me camera wise too.

Finally crossed over the 5,000 mark with the Dusty Coins so I think I'll momentarily retire from the journey until the DLC drops presumably next month. Just like the first installment, it was such a wonderfully fantastic flight with memorable charisma and presentation that it's undeniably a top contender for both this gaming year and the entire console generation. I was faintly worried that I would be spoiled from the excellent remaster work from Bluepoint Games that I almost immediately wished that it was already being reworked for the PS5, but I ultimately didn't care for the cinematic frame-rate at all and I mostly lament the possibility of the Raven episode being lost to the ages. Regardless, I hope it'll be see a re-release further down the line, whether next-gen or whatever, with the downloadable stuff bundled on-disc because it's another great addition to the Sony library and I'll be there day-one for any sort of reprisal of the property! Still can't believe I nearly crossed the sixty-hour mark as someone who simply tackled the side-missions ad treasure hunts without heading after the platinum trophy at all!

if you say so. i distinctly remember the environment being gorgeous, & the tone being enchanting, from the very get-go in the first game. & 'unnecessarily lengthy', i'd say, is an understatement. it's just awful, period (with the 'humor' falling flat, as well) :) ...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just beat Episode 8 plus all of the side missions so far. I have to say the only real complaints I have so far is that the camera can be a pain in the ass at times, especially when you land on a surface after flying and it tries to swing around in some weird ways. Its not a constant but it does happen often enough and can make some of the missions where you have to be exacting with your flying and have things like a time constraint a lot more frustrating.

Some other random thoughts:

- I actually really enjoy the controls and movement gameplay as someone linked some gifs above but finally figuring out how to get the movement down and you are bouncing around with enemies barely keeping up is great.
- Once again the soundtrack is excellent. I really love the moody jazzy tracks playing for the rich and poor districts especially. Really matches the imagery and art style of each section and does a great job helping set the tone.
- The stasis throw seems incredibly overpowered. In most fights with humans I just spam it picking them up and tossing them off into space or into each other, or just grab a bunch of random objects and blast them. This goes for some of the tougher but slower Nevi as well as you can just stay away from them and blast them till they are nearly dead.
- The game does have some issues like the camera that I mentioned, some awkward clipping and it can get disorienting. There are also some control issues but nothing that really makes the game that much harder or frustrating, at least so far.
- And I'm sure this has been said a hundred times already but the game is beautiful, from the arty style, to colorful graphics, locations dense with all kinds of objects and items, and the unique setting of the game really does a great job of selling it.
- Of course Kat is great and I enjoy just seeing her interact with people.

Top Bottom