• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered |OT| Kat's out of the Vita

Def Jukie

My copy is being delivered tomorrow. Really excited for this. I'm really happy Sony went ahead with a physical release. This looks like one of the best remasters yet.

PaulloDEC

My favourite Vita game gets a second chance. Can't wait to pick this up on release tomorrow.

Shame about the hideous AU artwork, though:

IJGb.jpg

Super jealous of the US cover.

Shin-Ra

Gravity Rush is a wonderful game. Fun to play, the soundtrack is excellent; every Vita owner should play it. And there's a bonus: for those of us who like to go after the really hidden treasures, they even invented a somewhat-French-like language, and a writing system to go with it.

Here's an interview with Keiichiro Toyama in which he talks about this. At one point, when asked about the lettering on the signs, he answers that while the number of letters is consistent with an alphabet, 「解読できないように変換しています」 ("We've changed things around so that (people) can't read it.")

Well, Mr. Toyama, the enjoyment I got from this game and the admiration I have for you, the creators, virtually compel me to answer with two words: Challenge. Accepted.

Now rather than how the value of each letter became clear, I'm instead going to give all of them in advance and then do some of the words seen while playing the game and flying around, and then do the words seen on the map. I'll start with the words that are definite and then, after those, move on to the more uncertain ones where I'm trying to reverse-engineer the language converter that they used when making the game.

I had figured out just about all the letters with the exception of J (turns out it's barely distinguishable from H) and Q, but thanks to the Gravity Rush artbook, we now know those for certain. The book also gives us the numerals, whose values wouldn't have been clear at all. And here are all the letters and numbers:

gravity-rush-alphabet_zpsbb84dba6.png

So let's start: (Photos are hosted on Dropbox; someone tell me if that's a problem.)

This vaguely hotel-looking building in Pleajeune has a sign that says MOTEL:

2012-07-26-041152_zpsa25f5960.jpg

And the solar power company is called ENE HEX:

2012-07-24-021934_zpse65b1b06.jpg

And there's an elevator that says ELEVATOR:

2012-07-24-064057_zpsccc37170.jpg

Over in the factory district there are some TV screens with plenty of words on them. Here's an ad for MARKET PORK:

2012-07-26-042004_zps4d263866.jpg

Back in Auldnoir, there are some shops with signs. Do you like the Foo Fighters? The proprietor of the FOO FIGHTER sure does:

2012-07-31-022927_zpsa753bf42.jpg

Those are pretty straightforward. But then they start making things really complicated, and I'm going to show some of those in the next post.

More advanced translations by Dunan here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46135833&postcount=2442

Unknown?

My favourite Vita game gets a second chance. Can't wait to pick this up on release tomorrow.

Shame about the hideous AU artwork, though:

Super jealous of the US cover.

That's more like the Vita cover and it's way better! The US artwork is just Kat on a plain white background.

PaulloDEC

That's more like the Vita cover and it's way better! The US artwork is just Kat on a plain white background.

It's more like an uncomfortable middle-ground between the Vita cover and the US PS4 cover for me, mashing up the beautiful painted artwork of the former and the falling characters of the latter. Then there's the crappy little "Now on PS4!" badge. Ick.

Flandy

Bah Amazon declined my card so I had to enter a new one which delayed my shipping. Not getting it till Thursday now -_-

Koobion

This is easily one of my favorite games of all time! Can't wait to play through it again. Gravity Rush was probably the first handheld game that I felt was truly impressive - felt next gen, etc.

Should have this tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it again, was great on Vita. The basic traversal mechanics are among the best of any game I've played.

Nice OP.

yall better buy this!! also don't worry about the countless people you'll accidently murder when using your gravity power

mine will be coming next week; same time N: UNS4

Shin-Ra

There are a couple of areas you can't return to but they were nice enough not to put any unique collectables there.

Grisby

sn00zer

Dumb question

In the Vita version you couldnt just fly from one island to the other. Are you still forced to use the tram lines to get to other areas?

Carl

This is really cool, good work that man

Dumb question

In the Vita version you couldnt just fly from one island to the other. Are you still forced to use the tram lines to get to other areas?

No you can fly from one island to another now (although if you try and go to one that's too far away without going to a closer island first, it will cockblock you)

klee123

I didn't bother with the Vita version all that much due to RL commitments at the time despite really enjoying what I played, but I'll make sure that I'll play the shit out of the PS4 version lol.

nicolajNN

Debating whether to get the digital version for the pre-order theme or physical to actually have the box, just a shame EU doesn't get the awesome simple cover like Asia and US.

Regardless I am really looking forward to getting into this game again

Loved the shit out of this game on Vita. Been holding off replaying it all this time in hopes a PS4 port would be announced, so I can't wait to get stuck back in. Picking it up alongside Digimon this week.

And it's been said in this thread already, but... GOAT-tier soundtrack.

A good game on Vita that dragged a bit. Its controls weren't fantastic on that handheld, but hopefully they'll be a lot better here.

Arondight

I might pick this game up for PS4. I remember the vita version, loved a lot of things about it but got stuck at a certain section because I couldn't get used to controls and gave up but hear the ps4 version is much easier to get a handle off.

Amazed by the vast differences between the visuals for PS4 and Vita.

Shin-Ra

Dumb question

You could fly between cities on Vita too. Not sure if it's right after you use the public transport link for the first time or later in the story, but you definitely could eventually.

The streaming hiccups are gone on PS4 though. Smooth flying between cities.

Carl

IVE BOUGHT IT THRICE

Vita, Digital HK PS4 version, Amazon NA Physical arriving tomorrow. I love this game, and that sweet NA boxart.

I also forgot to cancel my Amazon order before it shipped

I've done the same - Vita version, digital Asia version, and EU phsyical coming this week. I just love this game, gotta support it :)

ChuckNyce

I've done the same - Vita version, digital Asia version, and EU phsyical coming next week. I just love this game, gotta support it :)

Heck yea, there's certainly room for pretty much everything to be expanded on (cannot wait for GR2), but this game is just so damn beautiful and refreshing to play.

Roommate preordered the physical version for me so I should be getting that within the next few days, extremely hyped!

The Vita version was one of my first platinum trophies, very excited to revisit this wonderful game!

Carl

Heck yea, there's certainly room for pretty much everything to be expanded on (cannot wait for GR2), but this game is just so damn beautiful and refreshing to play.

For sure, was so good to play it through again. It was just such a great new IP with a wonderful main character and i just love the world. I hope 2 makes some big improvements (especially combat)

gus-gus

Banned
Didn't realize this was unlocking tonight. I just pre-ordered. Now I have to make the decision stay up and play at 12 or go to bed and just play after work tomorrow. Excited to play this, tried this on the vita for a very short time. This PS4 version looks so good though.

mine should be here tomorrow, i haven't pre-ordered a game in ages but a $30 price tag and 20% off from amazon is too good to pass up, also been wanting to play this game since i first saw it a few years ago, should be fun to play something more lighthearted after playing bloodborne and demon's souls

Zekes!

Really wish Amazon.ca had the physical.

Might look into getting a physical from America, but will probably just settle for the digital

Agent X

Gold Member
I preordered the disc release from Amazon, and it's on its way to my house!

I played the Vita game extensively, and even got the platinum trophy. This looks like an adventure worth taking again, considering all of the improvements Bluepoint has managed to squeeze into the PS4 version. It will also be a great "refresher" in advance of the future release of Gravity Rush 2.

PepperedHam

Super excited to play more of this! I decided to finally boot up my Vita version after owning it for awhile and after 45 minutes of playing it I was immediately convinced to put that version down and preorder this remaster. Loved what I played on Vita, can't wait to experience that and the rest of the game in 60 fps.

Top Bottom