• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great advice for those who suck at fighting games

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you want to guarantee some wins against weak players, pick characters with projectile attacks. Half the time the opposing player won't even block or jump over it.

zenspider

Yeah, it’s pretty crazy. There are people who actually study frame data religiously and use that to translate into which moves are punishable and safe with characters. Honestly, I never studied it even though I had gamers ask me if I did. I’m like, I just play and experiment with moves.

Some players just fly-by-wire and feel it out. It's really more about that there is turns by way of safe and unsafe moves.

Combos are fundamentally just frame data as well (plus knockback) but these are much easier to just experiment with, or wait for the lab monsters to post videos.

Knowing frame data (which isn't difficult at all, just download an app) helps when you want to know how to frame trap - fooling an opponent into thinking it's his turn to press a button or interrupt your pressure, or knowing if you can interrupt a chain.

If you ever ask how do I get out of that situation? The best answer is don't get in it. After that, there's always frame data.

FMXVII

Number of moves is a bit misleading in Tekken.
You can think of lot of them as being first part of a string or an extension to another move. Like Kazuya's 1,2,4: (left punch, right punch, right kick) but you can stop it at any time so technically that is 3 moves:
Maybe not the best example but it should illustrate the point.

That's kind of why what follows that, in my post, follows [that].

The sheer number of moves isn't the worst, most intimidating thing in the game.

The huge roster is a worse thing, for having to remember all the nuances and setups.

And movement is the biggest obstacle in getting good at Tekken.

But, coming full circle, nonetheless a lot of moves simply never get used.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
If you suck at fighting it’s my opinion that you can only do so much to get better. You’re going to get creamed no matter.

not referring to myself, I’m a champ

Last edited:

zenspider

Before Step 1 - which fighting game is best for a complete newb?

I've never been good at fighting games, mostly because I couldn't remember the combos. Now it's that plus I'm older and my reaction time is slowing down noticeably.

I always wanted to get into fighters (2d or 3d) but would like something casual with a relatively easy learning curve and a decent single-player game. Is there such a thing?

Have you taken a look at Fantasy Strike?

From the site:
We’ve streamlined the genre to get you to the fun decision-making part as soon as possible. All moves are just a single button press, combos are easy, move lists are so concise that they fit on one screen. We’ve cut out the chaff to focus on the heart of the genre so we can show you why fighting games are awesome.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
zenspider zenspider - Nice, haven't heard about this one. Looks like it's my level! Bummer that there's no physical release, but I might have to check it out next time it goes on sale. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
That's kind of why what follows that, in my post, follows [that].

The sheer number of moves isn't the worst, most intimidating thing in the game.

The huge roster is a worse thing, for having to remember all the nuances and setups.

And movement is the biggest obstacle in getting good at Tekken.

But, coming full circle, nonetheless a lot of moves simply never get used.
I don't really know what the moves of every character are but you kinda pick up on it as you play the match.

If a move is really annoying I might go and see what it's properties are and how to deal with it but otherwise just keeping your head cool and not mashing after getting hit by stuff you don't know. Block and backdash and be ready if your opponent's attack misses.

I might start to test if I can punish it by starting with jabs and moving on to bigger moves. Eventually the match up knowledge just accumulates and you remember stuff.

Top Bottom