• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great GAF Art Challenge # 10 - "Resurrection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsmjYAE.gif

Inspired by the new Art Self-Study |OT| by DEATH™ (super in-depth art info he's collected, drop by!) and my own rise from the juniored grave (a thousand thank you's, you based Mod you); ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Great GAF Art Challenge, revamped and reborn.

Make your piece.

Theme - "Resurrection & Revival"

What is dead may never die
But rises again harder and stronger
- GOTye​

Optional Secondary Objective: Black & white line-art

And now, for the rules:
⁽ᵇʳᵃᶻᵉᶰᶫʸ ᵖᶫᵃᵍᶦᵃʳᶦˢᵉᵈ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵂʳᶦᵗᶦᶰᵍ⁻ᴳᴬᶠ'ˢ ᶜʳᵉᵃᵗᶦᵛᵉ ᵂʳᶦᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶜʰᵃᶫᶫᵉᶰᵍᵉ⁾ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
---

THE RULES

Submission Deadline: Saturday, March 28 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

edit: EXTENDED DEADLINE
3 entries, not a bad turn-out for this tentative re-opening! :eek: Thanks for participating, you three ;)

Pulling my OP power - I've chosen to extend the deadline up until Monday, Mr. Bones demands more riders

ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT
t1427784900z4.png

Blitz out a quickie, go go go!

Voting begins Sunday, March 29, and goes until Tuesday, March 31 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

EXTENSION: Voting begins Tuesday, March 31, and goes until Wednesday, April 1 at 11:59 PM Pacific:

t1427957700z4.png

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

EXTENSION: No grace period for the extension! :eek:

Submission Guidelines:

1) Submissions can be 2D or 3D, any traditional or digital medium. But, no photos or photo manipulations. No paint-overs/tracing of photos either. Original works should be made specifically for each challenge; no re-using old images that might fit the theme.

2) One entry/submission per person. You can change your submission by editing your post, as long as it's before the deadline! To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images when sensible/post in proximity. Keep pieces to a reasonable size. Link to larger ones if you must.

3) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but totes keep in mind your street cred.

4) Have fun! It's not about winning or making your masterpiece every week. All skill levels welcome! Dust off your sketchbooks and let's rock!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please consider all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- You cannot vote for your own submission.
- Non-participants are also welcome to vote.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective back-rub, and starts/makes the new challenge thread (decide the theme and optional secondary objective, if any).
- If the winner can't make a thread, feel free to PM me the details and I'll make it for you.

---

Previous challenges:
Great GAF Art Challenge # 1 - "An Unlikely Pair"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 2 - "The Other Side"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 3 - "The Line"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 4 - "War"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 5 - "Religion"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 6 - "Fear"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 7 - "Wishing"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 8 - "Punk"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 9 - "Extraterrestrial"

Will you neglect the call, and let this glorious phoenix crumble into ash & dust so soon? Participate! ;)

Mailbox

count me in (though i do suck at original works :S )

This is gonna be fun. Haven't drawn something in weeks, just the thing to get me out of my slump :D

Awesome, I had hoped there was an art equivalent to the writing challenges. I'm definitely jumpin in this.

Yep, I was wondering why there wasn't! I did a quick search and it turns out there was, but it seems like interest died out ~5 years ago :eek:

Different times now, though? Hopefully this won't suffer the same fate again, and GAF can keep it going like the Creative Writing and Poetry Challenge threads *fingers crossed*

Long before my time too, but we're gunna make the art challenge better than ever!
You timed the revival perfectly for me, since this year is the first that I'm really hunkering down and focusing on improving. Fun times await.

Gotta give this thread a sketch-bump.

Going for 'Revival' because nothing says renewal and rebirth like a goofy animal rain doodle.

Will be adding a lot more and cleaning it up. Just roughing it out right now.

3 entries, not a bad turn-out for this tentative re-opening! :eek: Thanks for participating, you three ;)

Pulling my OP power - I've chosen to extend the deadline up until Monday, Mr. Bones demands more riders

t1427784900z4.png

t1427784900z4.png

Yes! Bump! Get some more entries in here right meeeeow!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Didn't see this thread til yesterday. Topic immediately put this motherfucker in my head:

tumblr_nm1r2jrfYJ1s6xgdho1_540.jpg

Apologies, Jipan and others, but time's up!
PSFndDV.png

LET THE VOTING COMMENCE

The Entries~

Respectively-

H.Protagonist
PfantzyPantz
OrlanisWorks
highrider
Henkka
Shig
The Purple Pill
triplestation

Voting rules as stated in the OP! :eek:
And remember, winner gets to come up with the new, next theme/thread ;o

Voting ends in-
t1427957700z4.png

Cyan

Banned
I'm totally unqualified to judge, here, but I'm going to vote on what feels like it captures the theme for me.

1. OrlanisWorks
2. Hennka
3. H.Protagonist

My votes go to.

vote 1. OrlanisWorks
vote 2. Hennka
vote 3. triplestation

These made me realize my own submission's shortcomings, oh well learn from it, I shall. :D

This thread must have not gotten much attention. I don't know why otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I wouldn't have been able to participate in this anyway because I need a least a month to complete a drawing.

This thread must have not gotten much attention. I don't know why otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I wouldn't have been able to participate in this anyway because I need a least a month to complete a drawing.
Nah, you could easily have done it, did it within the grace period myself, it was also just black and white themed line art, I suck at pure line art myself, so whatever works for you, use it.

All it takes, is to just jump in. :)

Dammit, Blargonaut. I thought this was totally abandoned or I'd have inked and colored. -_-

Whoever wins, I request the next theme be "Animal Weather"!

1. triplestation
2. Henkka
3. PfantzyPantz

I'm totally unqualified to judge, here, but I'm going to vote on what feels like it captures the theme for me.

1. OrlanisWorks
2. Hennka
3. H.Protagonist

Aww, thanks, Cyan. Even though it's just a doodle. <3

Early days yet; but I've rebuilt it, they will come :p

I've learned to take a step back from excessive self-bumping and simply allow people to frolic to-and-fro the threadow freely, especially since I did it so much in that *cough* &#7491;&#7496;&#7515;&#7497;&#7600;&#7511;&#7512;&#691;&#7497; &#7511;&#688;&#691;&#7497;&#7491;&#7496;

Dammit, Blargonaut. I thought this was totally abandoned or I'd have inked and colored. -_-

q7Gfuxi.gif

What can I say, my milkshake brings yard, etc. etc. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

3phemeral

Great work, everyone! I'm always afraid of coming in here because on one hand, it makes me feel behind but on the other, I can't help but feel inspired.

Looking forward to the next one. Was hoping to participate in this one but didn't have time!

Thank you to all the contestants!

FINAL SCORE

1. Henkka (13 pts., didn't vote)
  2. OrlanisWorks (9 pts., voted)
  3. triplestation (7 pts., voted)
  4. Shig (6 pts., didn't vote)
  5. The Purple Pill (3 pts., voted)
  6. highrider (2 pts., voted)
  7. H.Protagonist (1 pts., voted)
  8. PfantzyPantz (1 pts., voted)

Oo...

My apologies, Henkka—house rules :eek:
Thus~
IM8kXB2.gif
OrlanisWorks wins!

You have the con, skipper; new thread & theme is up to you ;)

Hopefully, we'll have an endless chain-combo of these Art Challenges now, just like the Creative Writing Challenge threads :eek:

For your quote->copypasta convenience (thread template, fluff at your discretion):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jsmjYAE.gif

Great GAF Art Challenge # ??? - "___________"

Theme - ___________

*insert flavour text here*

Optional Secondary Objective: ___________

---

THE RULES

Submission Deadline: ___________ by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins ___________, and goes until ___________ at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Submission Guidelines:

1) Submissions can be 2D or 3D, any traditional or digital medium. But, no photos or photo manipulations. No paint-overs/tracing of photos either. Original works should be made specifically for each challenge; no re-using old images that might fit the theme.

2) One entry/submission per person. You can change your submission by editing your post, as long as it's before the deadline! To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images when sensible/post in proximity. Keep pieces to a reasonable size. Link to larger ones if you must.

3) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but totes keep in mind your street cred.

4) Have fun! It's not about winning or making your masterpiece every week. All skill levels welcome! Dust off your sketchbooks and let's rock!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please consider all submissions before voting.
- You cannot vote for your own submission.
- Non-participants are also welcome to vote.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective back-rub, and starts/makes the new challenge thread (decide the theme and optional secondary objective, if any).
- If the winner can't make a thread, feel free to PM me the details and I'll make it for you.

---

Previous challenges:
Great GAF Art Challenge # 1 - "An Unlikely Pair"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 2 - "The Other Side"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 3 - "The Line"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 4 - "War"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 5 - "Religion"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 6 - "Fear"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 7 - "Wishing"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 8 - "Punk"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 9 - "Extraterrestrial"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 10 - "Resurrection"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 11 - "Blithe Spirits"

Sweeeet! Happy to get second place yet still get to make a new theme.

I'll get started on the new thread and should be ready tomorrow when I've got a good, juicy theme for us to conquer. Friday's a good day to start anew, right? :)

e: Thanks all! I got the thread all set up and will post it just after midnight tonight because I can't wait much longer than that. :D

Shall post the link to it in the thread when the time comes!

highrider

Banned
Sweeeet! Happy to get second place yet still get to make a new theme.

I'll get started on the new thread and should be ready tomorrow when I've got a good, juicy theme for us to conquer. Friday's a good day to start anew, right? :)

Congrats, I will look forward to a dope theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom