• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great. Trippy. Movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipopo

Banned
Shout some names at me. I'm looking mainly for visually arresting movies, but mental mind fuckers are also warmly recieved.

Stuff like Spirited Away is just about the perfect example I can give, although I'm not really focused on anime and I'm not going to be going to any import shops to get them.

Basically, picture (or experience) a movie high and let me know how it goes.

nomoment

0783229526.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

fart

Savant
not too long ago i watched basically every movie ON DRUGS. name one and if i've seen it i'll tell you how fucked up i was.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bad santa.

so funny it breaks your brain.

Chipopo

Banned
fart said:
not too long ago i watched basically every movie ON DRUGS. name one and if i've seen it i'll tell you how fucked up i was.

Great!

Dark City?
Donnie Darko?

See, the problem is I'm looking for movies I haven't seen or maybe haven't even heard of. So can you possibly just spew out a few that you remember really screwing around with you?

DCharlie

Banned
'not too long ago i watched basically every movie ON DRUGS"

the thing is, in that state - everything becomes f*cked up.

The Magic Roundabout especially.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Several months ago I saw a movie on cable, and I really wish I knew what the fuck it was.

Maybe someone can help me out?

It was animated, and looked like it was done in the 60s.....maybe it was, or maybe it was just done that way intentionally. I'm pretty sure there was no dialogue, but I don't think that mattered as (I think) it took place on a different planet, or some kind of alternate reality. The setting was some kind of alien, surreal landscape, and I think it involved some weird creatures....probably aliens....who kept, I think, people as pets, and they were quite a bit bigger than the people (like people to hamster ratio I think). I watched maybe an hour of it.

Anyone know what the hell movie I'm talking about?

fart

Savant
i saw blade like five times because my friend really liked it. i fucking hate that movie. this dealer friend of mine really liked fifth element. it took me years to get to the point where i could watch it again.

i never saw dark city and donnie darko is too recent, plus i've never seen it.

the only troma films i've seen i've seen ON DRUGS. don't do that.

my own private idaho: another bad one.

brazil? not cool.

evil dead marathons are a ton of fun.

i made it a point to watch half baked completely sober. that movie is fucking hilarious.

tried watching 2001 once, fell asleep.

think late 90s though.

'not too long ago i watched basically every movie ON DRUGS"

the thing is, in that state - everything becomes f*cked up.

The Magic Roundabout especially.
i just googled magic roundabout and what the fuck

Panic Room

It's not trippy at all, but I just watched it again and I realised that no one ever pimps it around here. So just watch it anyway, it rules.

way more

Just to clarify, Koyaanisqatsi is about an hour and a half of mostly time lapse photography of nature and city footage complemented by a score from Philip Glass. The title means "life out of balance," and the film does its best to show how wacked out the world is. And just to clarify, what kind of drugs are we talking about?
homephotos.gif

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
DUDE MAN THE MATRIX IS A TOTAL FUCKING HEADFUCK MAN. POP SOME SHROOMS AND GO SEE THE MATRIX AND MAN YOU ARE SET.

Chipopo

Banned
mac said:
Just to clarify, Koyaanisqatsi is about an hour and a half of mostly time lapse photography of nature and city footage complemented by a score from Philip Glass. The title means "life out of balance," and the film does its best to show how wacked out the world is. And just to clarify, what kind of drugs are we talking about?
homephotos.gif

This movie looks like Honey Buttered perfection.

weed.jpg

thom

I second "Eraserhead"

also throw in some Aronofsky and Gilliam flicks like "Pi" and "12 monkeys".

I recently watched "Josie and the Pussycats" beginning to end.

Don't know why I'm mentioning that now.

Chony

mac said:
homephotos.gif

I own that and Powaquatsi on DVD. Havent seen the thirds, heard it wasnt all that great. The first one is incredible, the second one I cant get anyone to watch it more than ten minutes, the images just arnt as interesting. Deffinetly would reccomend the first one. The music is top notch.

DCharlie

Banned
"i just googled magic roundabout and what the fuck"

there is one film called "Dougal and the blue cat"...

... it's f*cked up

there are a lot of little moments where teh characters just look at each other,
and maybe one of their eyes will roll
the other one will stare back
then one will twitch
all to very very strange sound fx/music

It made no sense straight
it made even less sense on acid.

I image that PeeWees playhouse would be similarly crazy in a monged state.

Also :
Jamie and the Magic Tourch
Sports Billy (to some extent)
The Young Ones
Vic Reeves Big Night out :
"Rocky 5 attending wakefield TEC, and if you look round the back EMF are knicking his BMX"
"A spoilt child throwing jugged hair at Toilet Duck"
... i guess you have to see it.

The League of Gentlemen - quite scary.

OH, and TETSUO.
Total mind feck.

bjork

There's a short animated film called Cat Soup... 34 minutes of pure "wtf-ness"

Got it last weekend for $19 at Suncoast, I assume it's widely available. In the anime section.

donnie darko? pfffffffffttttttttttt

what you SHOULD watch is:

Altered States (make sure you out of your mind)
the Parallax View (you may be brainwashed)
Ichii the Killer (for the wtf reaction)

demon

demon said:
Several months ago I saw a movie on cable, and I really wish I knew what the fuck it was.

Maybe someone can help me out?

It was animated, and looked like it was done in the 60s.....maybe it was, or maybe it was just done that way intentionally. I'm pretty sure there was no dialogue, but I don't think that mattered as (I think) it took place on a different planet, or some kind of alternate reality. The setting was some kind of alien, surreal landscape, and I think it involved some weird creatures....probably aliens....who kept, I think, people as pets, and they were quite a bit bigger than the people (like people to hamster ratio I think). I watched maybe an hour of it.

Anyone know what the hell movie I'm talking about?
aaaaaanyone?

Btw, thanks for recommending Cat Soup. That looks awesome...just ordered it.

demon

Some dude on another forum knew what I was talking about.

6305307156.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I gotta at least rent this.

fart

Savant
DCharlie said:
"i just googled magic roundabout and what the fuck"

there is one film called "Dougal and the blue cat"...

... it's f*cked up

there are a lot of little moments where teh characters just look at each other,
and maybe one of their eyes will roll
the other one will stare back
then one will twitch
all to very very strange sound fx/music

It made no sense straight
it made even less sense on acid.

I image that PeeWees playhouse would be similarly crazy in a monged state.

Also :
Jamie and the Magic Tourch
Sports Billy (to some extent)
The Young Ones
Vic Reeves Big Night out :
"Rocky 5 attending wakefield TEC, and if you look round the back EMF are knicking his BMX"
"A spoilt child throwing jugged hair at Toilet Duck"
... i guess you have to see it.

The League of Gentlemen - quite scary.

OH, and TETSUO.
Total mind feck.
yah i remember tetsuo. that was an unpleasant night.

that magic roundabout shit is too crazy for me though dude.

B0000542DH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The most visually exciting film of the 1990's. From the synchronized rear-projections, to the color themes, multiple film stocks, and eclectic soundtrack/score, Natural Born Killers is truly a mindfuck to behold. It's a great satirical look at the voyeuristic society we've become and is a great tongue-in-cheek tribute to Hollywood and mass media. It's also a revised treatment of an early Tarantino script.

demon

Well, I just finished Mulholland drive, and I'll gladly add that to the list of "total mindfuck movies".

W.......T............F?

demon

Session 9 wasn't a total mindfuck. It was a really creepy movie, though. I've got it on DVD. I just LOVE slow-paced, creepy movies with tons of atmosphere like this.

B0000541WJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you can find it it's definitely worth a watch. You don't know "weird" until you've seen this.

B00004R999.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It can be totally trippy in the right situation... cough, cough.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I too was going to suggest the stunning Baraka.

Here are some seriously twisted films that go well with any high:

mcca1.jpg

Probably the most insane coming of age story ever made. Literally dozens of WHAT THE FUCK moments.

6304178360.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Great Dark Comedy Horror about a man who tends a cursed graveyard. 7 days after being buried, the cemetery's residents raise from the dead. Zombie blasting fun, hot sex, and Gnagi!

6305133131.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Classic stoner Sci-Fi about Hurt discovering his primal self. Several filmic acid trips in this one.

FnordChan

Another plug for Koyaanisqatsi:

52.jpg

39.jpg

03.jpg

Highest possible recommendation.

FnordChan

Edit: I thought Ten was a great flick, but I can't say I think of it as trippy. However, I saw this last night and it's just the thing:

B00014NE6M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's a 70s Italian parody of Fantasia and it's completely insane. Bizzare live-action sequences featuring a sorely abused animator and an orchestra of little old Italian ladies are combined with animation that cranks up the eroticism and black humor. If nothing else, watch it for the "Bolero" sequence. Wow.

Gantz

Banned
catfish said:
bad santa.

so funny it breaks your brain.

I laughed once the entire movie. It was when the midget got kicked in the nuts. Other than that the movie was hardly trippy.

Another vote for Fear & Loathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom