• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest cavalry charge in film/TV history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

Waterloo or Lawrence of Arabia.

CGI just makes it too easy for me despite how well LOTR used it.

Gotta give it to the real deal.

Big Wazu

The French charge from the Battle of Waterloo is a classic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

There's absolutely no CGI here - the movie is from 1970. They simply used upwards of 15,000 extras and tons of practical effects, it's probably the closest a movie has ever come to recreating the battle it's trying to portray.

Came to post this. Without a doubt the best. If you haven't seen it, Waterloo (1970) is without a doubt one of the best war movies ever made and it's pretty hard to top. Still amazing to this day. One of my absolute favorite films.

MZllja8.jpg

Excalibur (1981)

Xe4

Banned
Return of the King, breh. DEATH!

Return of the King.

Ride of the Rohirrim, easily.

Most epic one for sure

How is this not Return of the King?

Ride of the Rohirrim

This. In the theater seeing the movie for the first time it was emotionally overwhelming.

Yup. The things I felt in the cinema watching it, no movie or medium has rivalled it to date.
Incredible.

Edit: ^ poster above read my mind.

I still get goosebumps everytime I watch that scene. The acting, the writing, the music and the visuals. Just perfect.

I can't not get misty eyed during this scene

Yep. Goosebumps just thinking about it

Yep. Should have been first post.

GOAT.

Yeah, it's totally this. That shit is going to be impossible to top. Definitely the best cavalry charge I've seen.

we are done here...

no we're not

what's important to note is one of the biggest factors of suspense in that scene (where the King on horseback would clack his sword against the front line) was not originally part of the script, it was actually proposed by the actor himself during the filming of the movie.

JDHarbs

ctrl+f "glory"

0 results.

Screw Return of the King. This was the single most emotionally wrenching cavalry charge in cinema history.

denzel.gif

Skux

Nothing beats the intensity of RotK.

By the end of the trilogy I felt like I had accomplished something.

Herne

Charge of the Rohirrim is amazing - nothing gave me so much goosebumps in the cinema as that scene. But, I have to give it to Ney's charge in Waterloo - thousands and thousands of extras, no CGI, mind-boggling numbers of men and horses charging and it's still barely a fraction of the real numbers involved.

Also, the charge of the Scots Greys in the film is exactly as it is in the famous painting -

1200px-Scotland_Forever!.jpg

Scots_Greys.jpg

tpxl26kv0rpiqh2zpfif.gif

Ney's doomed charge -

pvx2szmrdyomqtxgli00.gif

hgf42vrwveevwix2jpvt.gif

Absolutely nothing comes close to the ride of the Rohirrim in Return of the King. Nothing.

It's still to this day my favourite memory in a cinema. The special edition made it even better though with a more focused editing.

F!ReW!Re

Wow that waterloo one is really impressive.
Although my personal favorite is still the RotK Rohirrim charge. Just because of the perfect imagery, music and battle speech/cry.

Off-topic;
I'm always reminded of what Dan Carlin often brings up in his Hardcore History podcasts:
Can anyone nowadays even imagine being part of such a battle?
I love his bit on Punic Nightmares where he goes: Ok, how about you round up some friends, neighbors and family members. I'll give you all some swords, spears, shields and bows. You set up on one end of the street and at the other I'll drop an Elephant with a guy on it's back and you guys go kill eachother.

It's just insane to think that for most of human history these kind of battles were common (not fighting elephants but let's say being on a receiving end of a cavalry charge).
I think most of us nowadays would be absolutely terrified if we had to partake in some massive hand-to-hand brawl where you savagely murder/mutilate anyone that comes near you.
Heck the reason that it's so haunting is that there's a tiny chance you make it through unscathed.

Came to post Ney's cavalry charge from Waterloo, but nice to see that's already been shared!

I wish there are better cinematic portrayals of Murat's cavalry charge at the Battle of Eylau that aim for a more epic scale, given the context of it, but this one, from an obscure French film, Le Colonel Chabert, is fairly haunting and poetic: https://www.facebook.com/FranzPeterSchubert/videos/1875282886963/ (can't seem to find a good and full version on youtube)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom