• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest main menu music of all time...

FireCloud

I used to let White Knight Chronicles sit at the main menu just to hear/see the opening cinematic...Is it the greatest? No, probably not....but there was something about it that got its hooks in me.

Last edited:
I AM ANNOYED THAT PPL IN THIS TOPIC DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "TITLE MUSIC" AND "MENU MUSIC."

For example, "Suicide Mission" is a theme song, not a menu song. Yes, the best songs in Halo and MGS and StarCraft play at the "main menu," but that's not what folks mean by "menu music."

Here's a good example. Someone listed the Metroid Prime main menu music. Perfect! There's an entirely different track that plays after you hit the start button to leave the main screen to the "main menu." Now that's the music the OP is asking about!

Because if this was about theme music, I would be listing Crysis 2 and Wolfenstein/2.

Other examples:
(DMC Upgrade screen)

(Bayonetta chapter select)

(Bayonetta 2 chapter select)

Osukaa

Finally !! I can spread the love for this track. Gothic and dreary but I love it so much. Its actually the name entry screen so it sorta counts I guess lol but yeah give it a listen especially with headphones. When the high vocal comes in around 0:33 I get legit chills and goosebumps. I love this game and I bought the soundtrack which still gets the occasional play a couple times a month lol.

Wulfram

I think menu music should hit hard quickly, because I don't really linger on the menu screen

Last edited:

Shifty

Killer Instinct '13 is the one that's stuck with me the most I think. That main guitar riff is something else, and is programmed to kick in when you press start. Mmm.

Last edited:

God Enel

I liked Metal Gear Solid 4's theme a lot

Forgot about that one. I remember putting this on my phone and listening to it the whole day because it was so good. Nice to hear it again after so many years :)

KI is another great one!! Shifty Shifty

Last edited:

Flappe

Neo Member
Dark souls 3 for me. I dont think i've ever heard a tune better suited for a game. Its haunting and epic at the same time. (and suppressive if thats even a word =P)

I mean there are a lot of cool menu themes but this is one of the few I could actually put in a music playlist. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it upon booting up the SFV beta.

Codes 208

Dark souls 3 for me. I dont think i've ever heard a tune better suited for a game. Its haunting and epic at the same time. (and suppressive if thats even a word =P)

Came to post this. I loved Dark Souls (pretty much the whole franchise)'s music

Wonko_C

So mad they didn't include this theme and menu style in the Omega Collection:

Original theme was good too:

The new menu music is so generic I can't even remember it.

I actually like the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes main menu theme even better than Prime's. It suits the game's creepy "dark middle chapter" vibe.

Last edited:

For me, it will always be Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne. This game affected me as an adolescent. My mom had bought it for me in the days of the original Xbox, but withheld giving it to me for about a year bc I was probably 15 and the game was rated M. When she eventually did give it to me, my hype had been built to oblivion. Luckily, I was not disappointed. I've beaten this game so many times, and I'm ready to go back to it again after 10 years. Nothing will probably ever come close for me.

Last edited:
Don't know if it has already been posted and it's not console but vanilla world of warcraft takes the cake for me. The best music ever to start a game. Waiting to load into the game with the music in the background got me so jacked to play.

RVIDXR

The hum sound gets me every time. It was a simpler time then.

Edit: This was too turnt back in the day!

Last edited:
Top Bottom