• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenpeace co-founder: ‘no scientific proof’ humans dominant cause of climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
Still warming, still melting, just that most of the melt might not be caused by rising temperature.

Erm. The melting was the lowest ever recorded. There wasn't a high level of melting.

Well, it's not that there hasn't been a large amount of melting in Antartica it's just that a recent study stated that global warming wasn't causing it.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0...ded_just_not_much_affected_by_global_warming/

Didn't deny there wasn't any melting anyway.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Are you kidding me? A whole area is uninhabitable for the next 40,000 years. The ocean around Fukushima is also contaminated, until today nobody knows anything about the three molten cores.

What is with the radioactive waste? You must find a final depot for 100.000 years.

Nuclear power is a loss.

Not all types of nuclear power. Thorium molten salt reactors are way safer.

leadbelly

Banned
So what's your point then?

Well,,, it had been viewed that global warming was causing rapid melting in Antarctica, (at least west Antarctic, Pine islands), where as recent research claims that actually, no, it hadn't been caused by AGW. And in fact melting there has for the last few years been the lowest ever recorded.

My point is simply that, along with other things I mentioned, I wonder if effects caused by AGW aren't going to be quite as dramatic as some scenarios that have been reported through the years. :p

KHarvey16

Well,,, it had been viewed that global warming was causing rapid melting in Antarctica, (at least west Antarctic, Pine islands), where as recent research claims that actually, no, it hadn't been caused by AGW. And in fact melting there has for the last few years been the lowest ever recorded.

My point is simply that, along with other things I mentioned, I wonder if effects caused by AGW aren't going to be quite as dramatic as some scenarios that have been reported through the years. :p

Global warming is causing melting in antarctica, just not of every piece of ice there. Land ice is losing mass and has been for quite awhile. It still has not been shown that climate scientists attributed melting at one particular location to global warming only to have it turn out to be other factors, as well as what this has to say about anything regarding global warming.

It is exceedingly difficult to predict specific consequences of specific regions in specific and narrow spans of time. Climate is general trends over large areas over many decades.

Journalists, specially non science journalists, tend to write in all or nothing type tones. The failure of a few predictions shouldn't preclude the entirety of the climate models.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

leadbelly

Banned
Global warming is causing melting in antarctica, just not of every piece of ice there. Land ice is losing mass and has been for quite awhile. It still has not been shown that climate scientists attributed melting at one particular location to global warming only to have it turn out to be other factors, as well as what this has to say about anything regarding global warming.

The location we're talking about is one that is stated to be the most effected. That being West Antarctica.

leadbelly

Banned
It is exceedingly difficult to predict specific consequences of specific regions in specific and narrow spans of time. Climate is general trends over large areas over many decades.

Journalists, specially non science journalists, tend to write in all or nothing type tones. The failure of a few predictions shouldn't preclude the entirety of the climate models.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

Well, I guess only time will tell...

He's an ecologist, not a climatologist. And probably not a very good ecologist if he thinks global warming will be good for people. It doesn't take much more heat for droughts to affect crops and drinking water that could have disastrous effects on human populations, particularly those in the third world where resources are scarce to begin with. This wouldn't even be a story if not for his association with Greenpeace, which I'm guessing may be up for review shortly.

Chumly

It's a shame that websites will post fraudlantly titled headlines with this guy. It's amazing what low levels they have to stoop too try and disprove global warming.

leadbelly

Banned

lol

What exactly am I saying?

I don't even know what your point is now. I will reiterate: What I am wondering, is not whether there has been warming over a specific period, I am wondering if the effects of AGW will be as great as some models seem to predict. Or how it has been sensationalised in the press.

Chumly

Nothing you have posted disproves anything about global warming. You posted something we found out about a glacier and are trotting it around like we should now be skeptical of global warming.

Damaniel

Banned
If the Washington Times (that esteemed publication) is reporting it, then it's settled. Climate change is a myth! I'm gonna go spray all those cans of CFC laden aerosols that I've been saving up for the day that someone finally stuck it to those silly libs. Then I'll probably go shoot my gun and shout 'MURICA at the top of my lungs for a while.

(Sorry, GOP - no matter how desperately you don't want climate change to be real and man-made, it is. And yes, it will eventually cost you your poor, precious money to fix. Better to hand it over and fix it now than have it taken from you by force to help fix the problem later...)

leadbelly

Banned
Hardly although I am worried for you though if you think what you've posted is enough to think global warming won't be as bad as they say.

I am wondering if it will. And the reason I wonder isn't based simply on this, it is actually a continuation of things that have come out in recent times. People who have debated with me about this would know this, you obviously would not.

What I contest about your original post is that I was trying to 'disprove' global warming. I haven't argued that there hasn't been global warming within a specific time period. I say specific time period because clearly there has been both warming and cooling in the past.

Climate slowdown means extreme rates of warming 'not as likely'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567023
Global warming pause 'central' to IPCC climate report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24173504
Global warming slowdown linked to cooler Pacific waters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23854904

I was wondering, just wondering, if we will see the kind of warming some have predicted, okay? It doesn't mean we won't. So you can kindly just fuck off,

I read it. And I said, "I guess only time will tell". By that I mean the extent of it.
Any attempt to side step the science or taking a wait and see approach (which you clearly are) is just as bad as the out right deniers that want to stick their heads in the sand. You're on the wrong side of history.

Sensationalist press? We aren't making nearly as big of a deal about this as we should be. We're still burning our coal, driving our cars, drilling for our oil. Despite this over reactionary press you're referring to, we've done very little in the way of real change.

Spaghetti

on nuclear power: waste is probably the biggest worry. something you have to store for 100,000 years really just kills the idea of using it in the long-term in a very proliferated manor. it's not such much where you put it, but how you make sure nobody gets to it after it's stored.

i saw a snippet of a documentary around drawing up safety procedures for disposing and storing nuclear waste, and there was a lot of back and forth over whether you would need to mark the site or not, and if people in 100,000 years or longer/less would even speak the same languages as us or use the same symbols. most interestingly was the idea of not putting a marker at all, to avoid drawing attention to the site, but how that still poses a risk of accidental drilling.

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

See also Theory of Evolution.

I believe there is still a debate how much external factors contribute, but very few credible scientists believe human activity is not a major factor.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Man-made climate change is a theory, meaning we should accept it as present and do something about it. But it's not technically a fact. If scientists were to suddenly to call it a fact, it might negatively alter the path of future research.

Chumly

I am wondering if it will. And the reason I wonder isn't based simply on this, it is actually a continuation of things that have come out in recent times. People who have debated with me about this would know this, you obviously would not.

What I contest about your original post is that I was trying to 'disprove' global warming. I haven't argued that there hasn't been global warming within a specific time period. I say specific time period because clearly there has been both warming and cooling in the past.

Climate slowdown means extreme rates of warming 'not as likely'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567023
Global warming pause 'central' to IPCC climate report
Global warming slowdown linked to cooler Pacific waters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23854904

I was wondering, just wondering, if we will see the kind of warming some have predicted, okay? It doesn't mean we won't. So you can kindly just fuck off,
How to abuse statistics and claim global warming slowed or stopped since 1998.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2374

That should be right up your alley

leadbelly

Banned
Any attempt to side step the science or taking a wait and see approach (which you clearly are) is just as bad as the out right deniers that want to stick their heads in the sand. You're on the wrong side of history.

Sensationalist press? We aren't making nearly as big of a deal about this as we should be. We're still burning our coal, driving our cars, drilling for our oil. Despite this over reactionary press you're referring to, we've done very little in the way of real change.

So what? Nothing I say or do will ultimately effect the decisions of governments or climate panels on this.

I am just commenting on recent studies and wondering if it will be quite as dramatic as people have predicted. Or that we will see the temperature increases some models have predicted.

leadbelly

Banned

Ironically, I posted an article from skeptical science about this in a previous thread,

See the links I posted? That's the BBC. It is not the Daily Mail.

Do you know what they were reporting? It was reportiing actual studies by climate scientists, Not some amateur climate denier.

This report here:

This is about the IPCC discussing it. It was taken seriously enough for it to be properly discussed by the IPCC.

Chumly

So what? Nothing I say or do will ultimately effect the decisions of governments or climate panels on this.

I am just commenting on recent studies and wondering if it will be quite as dramatic as people have predicted. Or that we will see the temperature increases some models have predicted.
I hope your still holding back all these recent studies because I just posted why those three links you have have are inflammatory and mean nothing.

Chumly

Ironically, I posted an article from skeptical science about this in a previous thread,

See the links I posted? That's the BBC. It is not the Daily Mail.

Do you know what they were reporting? It was reportiing actual studies by climate scientists, Not some amateur climate denier.

This report here:

This is about the IPCC discussing it. It was taken seriously enough for it to be properly discussed by the IPCC.
Did you even read what I linked?

leadbelly

Banned
Did you even read what I linked?

I don't need to. This is the same thing skeptical science debunked, which ironically I posted in another thread.

What you're failing to see though, is that there has been a 'pause' or at least a 'slowdown'

This slowdown, or hiatus as the IPCC refers to it, has been leapt upon by climate sceptics to argue that the scientific belief that emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere increases the temperature of the planet, is wrong.

Scientists have attempted to explain the pause in a number of ways, with many arguing that the Earth has continued to warm but that the heat has gone into oceans.

The most recent report suggested that a periodic cooling of the Pacific ocean was counteracting the impact of the extra carbon in the atmosphere.

But there is no certainty and little agreement among scientists on the mechanisms involved.

As the IPCC refers to it. There is no body higher than the IPCC. So naturally I took it that there was a pause.

Chumly

I don't need to. This is the same thing skeptical science debunked, which ironically I posted in another thread.

What you're failing to see though, is that there has been a 'pause' or at least a 'slowdown'

As the IPCC refers to it. There is no body higher than the IPCC. So naturally I took it that there was a pause.
You realize that the IPCC addressed it because it's been misconstrued by people like you and climate deniers right?

Here us another article discussing the actual findings.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2535

The pause is natural variability with the incredibly powerful El Niño of 1998 which skewed the data making some people misinterpret a pause

leadbelly

Banned
You realize that the IPCC addressed it because it's been misconstrued by people like you and climate deniers right?

Here us another article discussing the actual findings.

The pause is natural variability with the incredibly powerful El Niño of 1998 which skewed the data making some people misinterpret a pause

You're not reading the damn links or reading what I am saying.

Taken from the quote in my last post:
The most recent report suggested that a periodic cooling of the Pacific ocean was counteracting the impact of the extra carbon in the atmosphere.

They were taking the 'pause' seriously. What this is trying to say is that there isn't really a pause it is skewed by the powerful El Nino in 1998. If that was the only reason they wouldn't still be trying to explain away the pause.

In fact I am being a bit disingenuous here because there was a more recent study trying to explain away the pause. They claimed it was due to the lack of data from certain regions.

Chumly

You're not reading the damn links or reading what I am saying.

Taken from the quote in my last post:

They were taking the 'pause' seriously. What this is trying to say is that there isn't really a pause it is skewed by the powerful El Nino in 1998. If that was the only reason they wouldn't still be trying to explain away the pause.

In fact I am being a bit disingenuous here because there was a more recent study trying to explain away the pause. They claimed it was due to the lack of data from certain regions.
Are you serious? I've read your links and you keep quoting stuff that has nothing to do with the IPCC. Those articles were written by a reporter and seem to have you confused. Meanwhile I posted information that actually discusses information that came out of the dam conference not just "what they were going to talk about". Yes they took the "pause" seriously because of climate change deniers and climate change skeptics like you. If you want to inform yourself be my guest. If you want to quote attention getting headlines then you can continue to live in denial.
Much attention has been given in the press to the fact that the rate of surface warming over the past fifteen years has been slower than during previous decades. The report notes that due to natural variability, trends based on short records are very sensitive to the beginning and end dates and do not in general reflect long-term climate trends. As one example, the rate of warming over the past 15 years (1998–2012) of 0.05 °C per decade, which begins with a strong El Niño, is smaller than the rate calculated since 1951 of 0.12 °C per decade. However, the recent slow-down in surface warming is likely to be a mere "speed bump" on the highway of global warming, caused by natural variability. We have seen such "speed bumps" before, as well as short, sharp downhill stretches where surface warming speeds up. For example, climate scientist Stefan Rahmstorf writes at realclimate.org that "the warming trend of the 15-year period up to 2006 was almost twice as fast as expected (0.3°C per decade), and (rightly) nobody cared. We published a paper in Science in 2007 where we noted this large trend, and as the first explanation for it we named “intrinsic variability within the climate system”. Which it turned out to be." Physics demands that the massive amounts of heat-trapping carbon dioxide humans have dumped into the atmosphere must cause significant warming, but the chaotic complexity of the system is expected to obscure the magnitude of the long-term trend on time scales of a few years to a decade. The attention being to this latest "speed bump" on the highway of global warming is a direct result of a well-funded PR effort by the fossil fuel industry. One has to look at the total warming of the atmosphere, oceans, land, and ice to judge the true progress of global warming, not just the surface temperature. There has been no slowdown in total global warming when we regard this entire system, as I argued in a post earlier this year. More than 90% of the energy of global warming goes into the oceans, and the reason for the relative lack of surface warming this decade is that more heat than usual is being stored in the oceans. That heat will be released to the atmosphere at some point, removing the "speed bump".
The new IPCC report says that there is medium confidence that the "speed bump" in surface warming is due in roughly equal measure to natural multi-year unpredictable variability in the weather, and to changes in the amount of sunlight reaching the surface due to volcanic eruptions and the downward phase of the current solar cycle. Most of the climate models do not reproduce this lower surface warming rate during the past 10 - 15 years. There is medium confidence that this difference between models and observations is due to natural climate variability that is impossible to predict (for example, the El Niño/La Niña cycle), with possible contributions from the models' inadequate handling of volcanic eruptions, changes in solar output, and changes in light-reflecting aerosol particles, and, in some models, a too-strong response to heat-trapping gases. For an explanation of why arguments about the global warming “slowdown” are misleading and should not offer any consolation, see this explainer from Skeptical Science and this one from the Union for Concerned Scientists.
From my links discussing this bump.

I gained thirty pounds last year, but this year I only gained 5. I guess my eating habits had nothing to do with my weight gain.

danwarb

escalator.gif

Heheheh.

Today, we live in an unusually cold period in the history of life on earth and there is no reason to believe that a warmer climate would be anything but beneficial for humans and the majority of other species.

Is he talking about a time after the millions of people either die or are displaced by climate change?

Fnord

Okay, I can't help but say that, just as every time some meteorologist or biologist comes out and says something about Global Warming (Climate Change) is "settled science," I have to also call BS on this dude, who is also not a climatologist. He's a public relations consultant, ffs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Okay, I can't help but say that, just as every time some meteorologist or biologist comes out and says something about Global Warming (Climate Change) is "settled science," I have to also call BS on this dude, who is also not a climatologist. He's a public relations consultant, ffs.

he's a paid spokesperson for polluters.

it's absurd we're talking about him at all.

Could you explain?

So who's going to be telling Africa and Asia that they'll be fucked over and say "lol not my problem". It's nice to see people here are willing to sacrifice billions. As long as it's not us right?

I see somebody graduated from the college of "The Day after Tomorrow".

Buzzman

Banned

By 2050, between 350 million and 600 million people are projected to experience increased water stress due to climate change.
Climate variability and change is projected to severely compromise agricultural production, including access to food, in many African countries and regions.
Toward the end of the 21st century, projected sea level rise will likely affect low-lying coastal areas with large populations.

Climate change is projected to decrease freshwater availability in central, south, east and southeast Asia, particularly in large river basins. With population growth and increasing demand from higher standards of living, this decrease could adversely affect more than a billion people by the 2050s.
Increased flooding from the sea and, in some cases, from rivers, threatens coastal areas, especially heavily populated delta regions in south, east, and southeast Asia.

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/impacts-adaptation/international.html

Was this also in the movie? I don't remember.

Most of the world's population lives on coastal plains and is reliant on massive amounts of food grown in relatively smallish regions.

CroplandsMap_WaterRisk.jpg

That is a cartogram of where crops are grown.

USPrecipMaps-large.jpg

This is an image of projected rainfall patterns in the US. Notice any overlap?

The war for water will make WWII look like a couple of kids slap fighting if we don't do anything about ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom