• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grid 2 announced for PC, PS3 and 360 - debut trailer, preview and screens [2013]

Get hyped.

Trailer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-grid-2-announced-with-debut-trailer-and-screenshots

ap01_ca_shot_02_small.jpg.jpg

ap01_cali_screen_01.jpg.jpg

ap01_cali_screen_05.jpg.jpg

ap01_cali_screen_06.jpg.jpg

ap01_cali_screen_13.jpg.jpg

ap01_chi_screen_04.jpg.jpg

ap01_chi_screen_05.jpg.jpg

ap01_chi_screen_06.jpg.jpg

Codemasters has announced Grid 2, for release on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2013 - and it will be playable first at Eurogamer Expo 2012.

In the debut trailer we get a glimpse of Chicago and Paris, the first of the game's new locations.

Grid 2 has been in development for two years, and is built using the latest version of Codemasters Racing's Ego engine.

"Grid's back and we're going to make street, track and road racing exciting again," said executive producer Clive Moody.

"The core design philosophy for Grid 2 is that we treat the race as a character, not a consequence of simply putting cars on tracks. Everything that goes into the game impacts on that second-to-second, in the moment, blockbuster drama - the feel and personality of the race."

He added: "We're pushing boundaries once again with what can be accomplished in the genre via new tools, technology and innovations. In single-player, split-screen and online, the next-generation of the Ego Game Technology Platform will power graphics, AI, handling and damage advancements that will immerse players in the racing experience like never before. Like its predecessor, Grid 2 will put the sheer thrill and adrenaline rush of the race at the heart of the experience. It's what we call Total Race Day Immersion."

Grid 2 builds on the handling model from Grid using the new TrueFeel Handling System. This uses real physics to "hit a sweetspot" between accessibility and simulation.

The game spans three continents: USA, Europe and Asia, and takes in cities including Paris, Abu Dhabi and Miami (as well as the California coast). Expect licensed circuits, fancy city streets and mountain roads.

On the multiplayer side there's a new progression system that features customisation and integration with Codemasters Racing's online community portal RaceNet.

The world's first Grid 2 hands-on opportunity will be at Eurogamer Expo 2012, which runs at London's Earls Court from 27th-30th September.

It will be playable throughout the four days of the show, and its developers will dish the dirt on the racer during an exclusive developer session, called Grid 2: Total Race Day Immersion, on Saturday afternoon at 3pm.

Eurogamer operations director Tom Bramwell said: "We got a chance to check out Grid 2 at Codemasters' offices last week ahead of today's announcement and it looks amazing. We can't wait for people to play it.

"It's also going to be fantastic to hear from the developers about what they're attempting with the game and see some of their work in progress during the developer session."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-grid-2-preview-no-assists-please-were-british

Driving games usually sell themselves either on the dream or the reality - and in the eyes of many racing fans, never the twain shall meet. You're either in the blue corner with Need for Speed, tyres howling and sparks flying as you bend the laws of physics to your will in the service of thrillingly implausible drifts; or you're in the red corner with Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport, resting the wish-fulfilling promise of virtual car ownership on the granite pedestal of simulation authenticity.

But there is a happy middle ground between simulation and arcade racing - the one occupied for years by the graceful power slides of the sadly departed Project Gotham Racing. Codemasters made a stab for it with 2008's Race Driver: Grid, a lively, grippy and credible motorsport fantasy that won as many fans with its dramatic intensity and trailblazing features (including the first appearance of a rewind button in a racer) as it alienated with its departure from the real-world circuit racing of its TOCA lineage.

It's now taking a second stab with Grid 2, due in summer 2013 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Despite the long gap, it's an unapologetic sequel with a very similar style: race-tuned road cars in fake racing liveries going at it wheel-to-wheel on city streets and racing circuits, all shot in a smoky, cinematic style. In pure gameplay terms, the only major change - or at least, the only one Codemasters is currently willing to discuss - is the addition of high-speed point-to-point races on the open road. But perhaps it's an omission that's more interesting.

The problem that Codemasters has faced ever since it attempted to broaden its appeal with Grid and Dirt is that its motorsport games need the support of a hobbyist hardcore to succeed, but the majority of players like the idea of simulation racing more than they like the reality. It's not a problem unique to the Midlands developer, of course, and games like Forza have ended up offering a plethora of driving assists and difficulty settings that dial the experience to your ability, but often end up deadening it in the process. Codemasters has set itself a stiffer challenge: deliver a handling model that's accessible and deep, credible and exciting, without any assists or difficulty settings at all.

There's a silly trademarked name for what car handling designer Tim Dearing is doing: TrueFeel. Really, though, it's just a process of hard work and good judgement that starts with raw simulation data for each car, processed by a new physics engine that runs at 1000 Hz. The designers then carefully prune back the cars' more demanding behaviours and ladle in some progressive, controllable drifting "because people find it fun", while attempting to preserve the feel and basic handling characteristics of a particular car. The end result, Dearing says, should be easy for most players to master within a couple of laps, but offer plenty of depth beyond that.

Long-term challenge will mostly come from ascending through Grid 2's four tiers of cars. Although missing the most expensive licences - Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari - it looks like a well-curated selection of muscular exotics. You'll start in classics like the 1970s Mach 1 Mustang and BMW E30 M3, then progress through Skylines and modern muscle cars to supercars like the McLaren MP4-12C, track day specials like the wild BAC Mono, and finally outré hypercars like the Pagani Huayra and Koenigsegg Agrea R.

Sitting down with the game - running, extremely handsomely, on high-end PCs - we get the chance to try a Mercedes SL65 AMG in a two-lap street race through the glass canyons of downtown Chicago. Trash blows across the track in the wind, sparks scatter from the L trains above, and a soaring jet etches its contrails across the sky. Art director Nathan Fisher says that Michael Mann is an influence, and it certainly has a hint of the film director's gritty gloss.

As promised, the beastly AMG is very easy to get along with, and within a lap I'm scraping its nose on the barriers in the middle of long drifts that are easy to provoke and recover and don't scrub off too much speed. Grid 2 instantly makes you feel like a Top Gear test driver. But it's not all slick showboating. Study the way the car reacts as you take a bite of kerb, body-roll shifting weight and grip to the outside tyres, and you begin to appreciate that Grid 2's physics engine has serious chops and there may be something to the team's promise of depth within accessibility. Certainly, the goal of a handling model that's consistent and pure as well as approachable for all players is a laudable one.

Taking a modern-day Shelby Mustang for a spin along the winding, forested clifftops of California Coast, we also get to try Grid 2's new discipline, road races. Although it's a one-on-one race, this high-speed point-to-point is more reminiscent of a stage from one of Codemasters' rally games than anything else as you hook your inside wheel in the gutter to slingshot around corners. The Mustang feels appreciably beefier than the Merc, understeering into corners and then snapping into shorter slides.

One of Grid's virtues was its pacing and variety - its single-player campaign was a delight, especially compared to the tedious lap grind of some of its rivals - and Codemasters is promising the same for Grid 2. Unfortunately the developers won't talk structure yet, so we'll have to take it on trust, and on the promise of confirmed locations Chicgao, California Coast, Paris (with its wide boulevards and rat-runs of narrow, cobbled streets) and the dramatic new Yas Marina racing circuit in Abu Dhabi. (It's easy to guess that the roster of motorsport venues will be influenced by the F1 calendar, given Codemasters' licence.)

There is one facet of the game's structure that the team is willing to share though, and it's another interesting bit of risk-taking. While most driving games aim to provide integrated and seamless online and offline racing, Grid 2's online multiplayer will be completely segregated. It will have its own separate progression system and you won't be able to take cars between the two; the focus will be on customisation and strategic choice, rather than the completism of single-player.

That's as detailed as Codemasters gets, but it's easy to see that the new direction is inspired by Call of Duty's wildly popular model for online multiplayer. It'll be backed up by RaceNet, a community portal accessible through the web and phones; plans for this are vague at best, but I detect hints that it may involve some kind of meta-game elements as well as simple profiles and stat-tracking.

It will be when Codemasters fully reveals its plans for Grid 2's multiplayer that we'll get a clearer sense of the game's prospects. It's clearly a fine sequel that preserves the spirit of a respected game, and it seems to be toeing that delicate line between simulation and arcade racing with as much grace as anything since PGR's demise. But arriving at the very end of a hardware generation and after the extremely promising Forza Horizon and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, it will have its work cut out to woo racers. If it can do what most rivals have failed to and lock players into a compelling, long-term online racing world, though, it could be a different story. Either way, Grid 2 will be a decisive play for Codemasters Racing.

Yellow :(

Blue skies! :D

yellow :(

Not much I can say about a trailer like that, it has cars and they race, if codemasters can make blue skies why throw in a yellow hue on random daytime tracks?

YES YES YES YES

the game that took over when PGR went to crap is back......i hope they have not tweaked it too much as it was perfect to begin with

BlackArrow

Neo Member
Details and Features:

- There will be a mix of street, track and road races, with licensed circuits.
- Features an expansive, deep Career mode
- Will span three continents and feature iconic automobiles selected from over four decades of racing history
- Events will take place across the US, Europe and Asia with new cities Paris and Chicago joining locales such as Miami and Abu Dhabi.
- Uses the next-generation of Codemasters in-house EGO engine
- GRID 2 has been in development for 2 years.
- Advanced AI and damage calculations
- New TrueFeel handling system, which combines authenticity with intuitive feedback.
- Split screen two-player
- More online modes, all supporting RaceNet, which offers a social framework for online competition and challenges.
- Will feature a distinct and extensive online gameplay component
- There will be a "unique" progression system that features deep customisation options.

JebusF

Neo Member
No in-car mode is a weird choice.

Only 5% play that way? Sure, that's fine, but that's 5% that probably won't buy it now!

Also, do people really play racing games with a wheel in bumber/chase cam? Seriously?

saladine1

Can someone quote the no interior view shit?

Hopefully they haven't done away with the hood view or I'm truly fucked!

deim0s

YES YES YES YES

the game that took over when PGR went to crap is back......i hope they have not tweaked it too much as it was perfect to begin with

Really?

The car felt like it's pivoting from the center -> insta-turn. But everything else is ok. (Well, except from the piss-filter of course.)

XDDX

Screens look nice. Can't really say much at this point I guess. Looking forward to some more info.

Codemasters made a stab for it with 2008's Race Driver: Grid, a lively, grippy and credible motorsport fantasy that won as many fans with its dramatic intensity and trailblazing features (including the first appearance of a rewind button in a racer)

THAT. IS. WROOOOOONG!

The first racer to have a rewind button was a Milestone's "Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano" (known as "Squadra Corse Alfa Romeo" or "SCAR" in Europe). It was called the "Tiger Effect", but basically it was a rewind. From Wikipedia:

During a race, the game's unique Tiger Effect allows players to go back in time a few seconds and try again in the style of a butterfly effect

It also appeared in Milestone's next game, Corvette Evolution GT (know as just Evolution GT in Europe). And both those games were released YEARS before GRID.

no in-car view?

sorry codies, i'm out. Guess I was one of those 5% who always used the cockpit and always do.

This style of game needs one, shit like gymkana can deal without it, but actual racing? f u

deim0s

Say goodbye to driver's eye
However, we mustn't allow the spectacle to gloss over the first big omission from the game: There's no helmet cam (Insert dramatic chipmunk here in your mind). Now, chances are you don't care. It's said that 95% of GRID players use bonnet or chase cam. But we care. The reason for its absence is simple – the exquisitely detailed interior shots used too much processing power to justify including them when nobody was using them, and the team would rather use that power elsewhere on the things that people are looking at. Fair enough, but we're still sad to see it go. So are the developers - they said so.

from: http://www.gamesradar.com/grid-2-we...ing-it-racing-games-will-never-be-same-again/

Welp, seems F1 2012 is the one i'm buying from CM this year.

If forza 4 can give you 400 unique interiors, pretty visuals and 60fps why the fudge can't grid 2 so 1/8th of that? if it's a ram issue make it a toggle in the options, i'd prefer an interior view then a few more trees or that yellow filter, that should be the first thing to go not the interior.

That's a lot of 90 degree corners.

The lack of a cockpit view is strange. But in the end I only use it once or twice before switching to bonnet cam.

The woodland and city tracks look great, but can't they just drop the real-life circuits. Feels off to play them in a semi-realistic racer anyhow. We have Forza4/GT5 for them.

Dilly

Banned
No cockpit camera is no buy from me.

Concept seems a bit different than the previous Race Drivers, can't see any professional racing.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Fuck yes, favourite racing game this gen!

No interior view? WHAT THE FUCK.

They left us waiting for 4 years and then try to serve bullshit like this?!

What a great fuck up. It's not like the interiors in the first game were that detailed or great looking.

Watch the entire 5% of in-car cam users be on GAF :lol

I'm a chase cam guy for life, so I'm not affected. Would like real footage though.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Was so hyped until I saw no Cockpit cam. Although to be honest I mostly used bonnet cam in the first one because I could see better. But I'll miss the option.

meppi

Sign me up to the 5% then. :(
What have they based this on anyway? Showdown?
I think I'll hold off till it hits the £15 mark.

Poor Helios. This is not going to be easy for him to deal with this (hopefully) very vocal minority.

Good luck!

6ygii.jpg

Sign me up to the 5% then. :(
What have they based this on anyway? Showdown?
I think I'll hold off till it hits the £15 mark.

Make it 5 bucks at the 2014 Steam summer sale for me.

Jamesways

No cockpit view is probably no sale for me either. Plus it seems this is going a different direction than the first. They did say EU is a region, and I assume that means the bulk of the licensed circuits, but no mention of a licensed racing series yet.
I loved the 2006 LMS series in the first, and if this is missing a lot of those cars and tracks to make room for more point to point fictional courses and drifting? Yeah, not so much for me.

Man, what a bummer, no cockpit view. I think that's a BS stat that only 5% used that view. And only one handling model, no assists? Hmmm. So it's NFS like.

1-D_FTW

I really can't believe that they took the cockpit view out. Their reasoning is even stranger.

Sounds like it's following the Dirt: Showdown model. I may be more lenient that a lot of people on these forums with regards to some things, but even I draw my limits. No optimistic at all anymore.

Shaneus

They namechecked PGR. I stopped reading there and put down my money. Wonder how it'll fare (Bizarre-wise) compared to Forza Horizon, which is basically created from the ashes of Bizarre and ex-Codies guys.
YES YES YES YES

You mean, when Bizarre closed? Because PGR never went to crap until they went under. Never.

Edit: Actually read, now not so sure. I think name-dropping PGR is a ploy to sucker people like me in when it was already used w/ Horizon.

from: http://www.gamesradar.com/grid-2-we...ing-it-racing-games-will-never-be-same-again/

Welp, seems F1 2012 is the one i'm buying from CM this year.
Yeah, that's a shit excuse. At least include it on PC or something for those that *do* have the processing guts. And I'm still on the fence about F1 2012... after being shafted by Codies with their woeful patching practise, I'm incredibly cautious about *anything* they do.

Hackbert

okay i admit i am one of the 95% behind the car view players mostly cause of the controller. Sounds a bit like they wanted to cut the costs. If i had a wheel for racing, i would be underwhelmed and "angry".

Hopefully the Tourenwagen (DTM) cars are back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7TRlB5uLM
was the main joy for me in the game. please Codemasters! ( we know you are reading this thread )

They namechecked PGR. I stopped reading there and put down my money. Wonder how it'll fare (Bizarre-wise) compared to Forza Horizon, which is basically created from the ashes of Bizarre and ex-Codies guys.

You mean, when Bizarre closed? Because PGR never went to crap until they went under. Never.

I still think 2 was their best game but 3 was really the game that introduced you to next gen

4 had allot of great ideas but nobody bought it

You cant say bizzare did not listen to the fanbase as 4 pretty much had everything they asked for....but nobody came to the party once it was released

Hopefully Forza Horizon fills that void

Top Bottom