• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grid 2 announced for PC, PS3 and 360 - debut trailer, preview and screens [2013]

Cuddler

I just want this again

iYUaM.jpg

I would be ok whit this too but please Codemasters go back to the psx days! I want my TOCA and Colin McRae back! :(

All this time waiting for GRID 2 and we get no cockpit view? This is not happening to me right now.

I am dreaming, and will wake up to find out CM did indeed include cockpit view.

Yeah, but lets be honest, nobody used the interior view. And do you have any idea how much time, money and performance those highly detailed interiors cost? You could get at least two more filters on the screen by dropping interiors. I'm glad they did that.
I used it. Almost exclusively.

WE ARE THE 5% #occupycodemasters

jlevel13

Also dropping in to say w/o a cockpit view, I won't buy.

I'm sad to see another codemasters racing game moving backwards. Obviously somebody in management over there is looking for ways to cut costs more than ways to make better games. That 95% stat is complete bullshit.

In any case, developers should be working on making BETTER cockpit views, so more people use them (for more immersive racing).

KageMaru

Say goodbye to driver's eye
However, we mustn't allow the spectacle to gloss over the first big omission from the game: There's no helmet cam (Insert dramatic chipmunk here in your mind). Now, chances are you don't care. It's said that 95% of GRID players use bonnet or chase cam. But we care. The reason for its absence is simple – the exquisitely detailed interior shots used too much processing power to justify including them when nobody was using them, and the team would rather use that power elsewhere on the things that people are looking at. Fair enough, but we're still sad to see it go. So are the developers - they said so.

from: http://www.gamesradar.com/grid-2-we...ing-it-racing-games-will-never-be-same-again/

Welp, seems F1 2012 is the one i'm buying from CM this year.

The bolded line makes no sense. It's not like the interiors are rendered at that level when people use the outside views, at least they shouldn't be. If anything, I would imagine it should just be a LOD swap and have a very simplified cockpit for the times you can see through one of the windows.

No cockpit = no buy for me. A shame considering I thought the cockpit view in the first Grid was very cool.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Now I wonder if Turn 10 and PD will remove cockpit view from their games too..ya know since Codemaster's research said no on use it, no one will waste resources for the 5%.

Jamesways

Now I wonder if Turn 10 and PD will remove cockpit view from their games too..ya know since Codemaster's research said no on use it, no one will waste resources for the 5%.

Well, Che DID say in the fm2 days that true sim racers only need the views they provided and they shouldn't waste all those resources on a view that no one ever wants or uses.

I'm glad Dan and the rest of Turn 10 didn't listen to him.

Apparently racing fans don't want to waste time with silly things like assists in their games either.

Jamesways

Also, besides the omission of the cockpit view I really don't see how anything they've said so far should come as a surprise. This game doesn't look like it's aiming for a broader market than the first GRID to me. There is nothing analogous to Gymkhana being added to DiRT.

The one handling model and removal of the option of assists says they're going for an even broader audience to me.

But I do agree with you on the focus on racing part. I really enjoyed that in Grid and that Shift games too.

Mascot

Fuck, there's a whole load of overreaction going on in this thread. Who are we to argue with the developers of their own game?

You can mock up a cockpit in ten minutes flat by fixing cardboard to your screen, and if you use grey duct tape you can add a roll cage without breaking sweat. Codemasters know this. It's the rest of us who are stupid.

The fact that some people aren't even sure if this is a joke or not shows pretty well what they seem to think about Codemasters these days.

I love the cockpit.

Heartbreaker if true about the cockpit view. I've seriously enjoyed the immersion of, and usually prefer the feel of, cockpit view since RalliSport Challenge, and Dirt+Forza+F1 have made great strides in immersion.

I'm totally oblivious sometimes--is the no-cockpit thing a joke?

I love the cockpit.

Heartbreaker if true about the cockpit view. I've seriously enjoyed the immersion of, and usually prefer the feel of, cockpit view since RalliSport Challenge, and Dirt+Forza+F1 have made great strides in immersion.

I'm totally oblivious sometimes--is the no-cockpit thing a joke?

In-car view is out, after Codemasters' research discovered that 95 per cent of players use chase or bonnet cameras to play.

DD

The bolded line makes no sense. It's not like the interiors are rendered at that level when people use the outside views, at least they shouldn't be. If anything, I would imagine it should just be a LOD swap and have a very simplified cockpit for the times you can see through one of the windows.

No cockpit = no buy for me. A shame considering I thought the cockpit view in the first Grid was very cool.
But it impacts in the RAM usage.

As I said, I can tolerate the lack of internal camera IF they put some effort to deliver 30+ different locations and some serious (not 2~3 races, two laps) championships. But since Codemasters went to my favorite studio to just some randon studio that makes dude bro games with 6 tracks each (except for F1), I'll keep some distance and wait til the reviews to pop up.

1-D_FTW

Man, the only competent driving simulators are F1 racers on PC or Forza 4/Gran Turismo 5.

What?! The PC sim racing genre is overflowing with amazing titles. If you've got a fetish for something, there's a high quality title serving that audience.

Rally is the one exception. But Richard Burns Rally has an entire cottage industry of mods around it. So even though it's old, it's still the Rally racer out there (on any platform).

Goldrusher

Man, the only competent driving simulators are F1 racers on PC or Forza 4/Gran Turismo 5.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437476

But again, nobody wants GRID to be a sim.
All it needs to have is realistic physics and controls. Cars with weight and proper steering. Though DiRT3 was pretty good, much better than the original DiRT and GRID.

However, even with decent handling, there's still the problematic visuals with the excessive use of camera filters.
Why not restrict that to replays? You know, when you're supposed to be looking at camera footage? Just leave them out of the actual gameplay. It's a race driver game, not a camera man game.

Is the trailer realtime running on a PC? It looks a lot like Frostbite 2 even tho i know
Codemasters has their own engine.

I really hope they release this on next gen systems next year. If they say its coming to consoles in the summer I cant see why they cant why they wouldnt re-release it for the holidays on newer systems. Codemasters is know for pushing DX11 so why not show off on a new system.

If not i might just break down and buy a gaming PC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes. I'm in the no buy due to no cockpit view. I play all of my racing games like that.

Arucardo

No cockpit view? the fuuuuuuck?

That's honestly going to make me think twice about whether to get this or not...

EDIT: Also, no cockpit view is totally going to add to this "Total Race Day Immersion". Can't wait for them to take the cockpit out of Dirt and F1.

Branson

No cockpit view? Ew. I can't drive from any other view, especially since ID be using a wheel. No buy for me.

It's one of the reasons I didn't try showdown either. I don't like roof, 3rd person cam.

Arucardo

No cockpit view? Ew. I can't drive from any other view, especially since ID be using a wheel. No buy for me.

It's one of the reasons I didn't try showdown either. I don't like roof, 3rd person cam.

Oh yeah, they already did that for Dirt, though it's not as bad for Showdown since the extra awareness of 3rd person is useful in most of the game modes.

Dilly

Banned

Exactly.

No. No. This is as wrong as it gets.

From their forum:

We've heard a lot of your thoughts and opinions regarding the lack of cockpit view in GRID 2. To better explain our decision Executive Producer Clive Moody has this to say.

"First of all, it's important to say that every design decision we make is done with a lot of careful consideration and not taken lightly. We're acutely aware of the love there is for GRID in our community and we want to deliver the best possible experience for everyone.

There seems to be some confusion about where we get our data from to help us make these decisions. While we do use research and focus groups, the most important data source for us is the enormous amount of telemetry data we can obtain from our servers that tells us exactly how and what our players are doing across all our games. So it's not a case of just a sample of people we've spoken to in research, it's a fact that only 5% of Codemasters Racing game players ever used the in-car view.

We certainly don't want to alienate any of our fans we want to deliver truly exciting features that 100% of our players will enjoy. Videogame development is always about trade-offs and in this case, taking the hard decision to lose the in-car views for 5% of our players (and remember we still have bonnet cam and bumper cam, which many people with racing wheels use), is something we felt was more beneficial to everyone. They are expensive to run due to the requirement for high-resolution interior textures which are seen close-up and require a considerable amount of in-game memory (to store) and processing (to render).

What this means in practice is that the benefit to our vehicle models, environment models and the hundreds of other things in the environment sapping memory, is huge. By making this educated call, we can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience.

For example, we can author and run higher resolution vehicle models with more detailed geometry. We can feature higher resolution external vehicle textures and work further detail into our environment textures. We can dedicate more processing power to our improved physics systems, integral to the GRID 2 experience, and push other systems to the next level, such as particles and real-time lighting. And there are many more benefits.

One final point to make is that we’re at the tail-end of the current console generation. We’re now incredibly familiar with the current hardware and have reached the point that we’re getting EVERYTHING possible from it. We’re dedicated to pushing GRID 2 to the next level, making it the definitive racing game on this generation of hardware. Dropping a lesser-used feature such as interior cam frees up the memory and processing power to push the more prominent systems to the next level is a tough decision but it's one we felt had to be made, for the benefit of the majority of players.

If you’re still not convinced, all I ask is that you wait and see what we've got to show you. We've only scratched the surface of what we've got to show you on GRID 2 - there's lots more to coming in the months to follow and I genuinely think that you'll really enjoy it. Come and see for yourself at Eurogamer Expo.

Executive Producer Clive Moody
http://community.codemasters.com/t5/GRID-2-General-Discussion/With-regards-to-cockpit-view-a-statement-from-Executive-Producer/m-p/17778/message-uid/17778#U17778

I find it kind of hard to blame them if the statements about how much it helps in terms of memory allocation are true. If the game will be better because of it and at least 95% of the fans won't care then I think the decision makes sense.

Still, I feel bad for you guys who really love the cockpit view, especially if that's enough to keep you from enjoying the game at all.

Dilly

Banned
Don't care about the reasons or what's left to show, won't buy. I wonder what they really are going to do with that extra processing power then.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I find it kind of hard to blame them if the statements about how much it helps in terms of memory allocation are true. If the game will be better because of it and at least 95% of the fans won't care then I think the decision makes sense.

Still, I feel bad for you guys who really love the cockpit view, especially if that's enough to keep you from enjoying the game at all.

I only play real racing games with cockpit view(and racing wheel if available)nowadays,so they just completely lost my money and respect with this decision.

Goldrusher

What this means in practice is that the benefit to our vehicle models, environment models and the hundreds of other things in the environment sapping memory, is huge. By making this educated call, we can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience.

For example, we can author and run higher resolution vehicle models with more detailed geometry. We can feature higher resolution external vehicle textures and work further detail into our environment textures. We can dedicate more processing power to our improved physics systems, integral to the GRID 2 experience, and push other systems to the next level, such as particles and real-time lighting. And there are many more benefits.
0244ee12_larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

How about you ignore all that, ditch the filters and make the game run at 60fps.

You know...

We’re dedicated to pushing GRID 2 to the next level, making it the definitive racing game on this generation of hardware.

KageMaru

But it impacts in the RAM usage.

Yeah that's true, I didn't consider that. The dev post above also does a good job explaining their decision and I can't really argue against it.

I'll be curious to see how it looks graphically on these consoles, but I still don't think I'll buy without a cockpit view.

Top Bottom