• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grid 2 announced for PC, PS3 and 360 - debut trailer, preview and screens [2013]

I'm pumped for the new GRID... ok, pumped for Arcade Racing Games in general. But Most Wanted from Criterion wasn't for me. In truth, i am a little bit upset about EA giving the entire NFS franchise in Criterions hands and turned the Black Box Studio into a digital-only social game Studio. I loved their NFS Games and hate Criterions 90 degree bullcrap power drifts in their NFS Versions.

I like what i see in GRID2, without a ridiculous handling.

So yeah, found a bunch of "new" (december 26th) Screenshots from GRID2.

127837_800.jpg

127838_800.jpg

127839_800.jpg

127840_800.jpg

127841_800.jpg

127842_800.jpg

127843_800.jpg
http://www.looki.de/race_driver_grid_2_screenshots_26122012_screenshots_ss127843.html

They're really going all out on the special effects. Maybe a little too much.

True.

Thats why we can't have a Cockpit in GRID 2. Criterion did also implement a whole bunch of special effects in Most Wanted, which we then had to deal with the frame stuttering and 30FPS instead of 60FPS.

Decado

Easily my most anticipated racer. GRID is my favourite single player racing game this gen, I think.

I can't wait to get the sequel on PC :D

Dead Man

I actually don't care about the cockpit view, I never use it anyway since it doesn't actually feel anything like what you really experience driving a car. It always feels like you are driving a tank with no peripheral vision.

What they should have is a camera located inside the car, but with a wider field of view.

They're really going all out on the special effects. Maybe a little too much.
WAAAAY too much.

1-D_FTW

I actually don't care about the cockpit view, I never use it anyway since it doesn't actually feel anything like what you really experience driving a car. It always feels like you are driving a tank with no peripheral vision.

What they should have is a camera located inside the car, but with a wider field of view.

WAAAAY too much.

Probably a performance issue with consoles. The smaller the FOV, the less taxing to render. PC racers always give you this option to change to your liking.

Grid was truly awful though. If you have the PC version, you can download all the cars with greatly improved FOVs. Actually makes them playable.

Sigh, the visuals look like yet another overly post-processed, shit smeared on the screen extravaganza that we've come to associate with 'next-gen'. The original GRID still looks pretty great on PC once you take away the piss filter - why can't they just take the conservative realism route?

amar212

So not bought (aren't those old videos?).

I would love to see the both pitch and actual project documentation with internal forecasts for this project.

I absolutely love the idea with random courses in real time, something clearly inspired by idea what would work great in game as Gotham and by far most interesting detail about G2. But everything else is just mess.

I really can't comprehend about focus target for this game. Which type of scores do they expect? Which amount of sales? Who is the main customer for this game? Of all driving games seen in last 3 years I have to admit how GRID2 remains my personal logic-mistery in any mean imaginable.

Codemasters gets the prize from me as "developer who took the biggest nosedive this gen".

Colin McRae and Toca Race Driver were two of my favorite games, an then they took them and transformed into two half-assed arcade games in a period where there isn't much of a market for them.

They fail as arcade games, and they still have some simulation stuff in it, like "licensed circuits" that in the end produce games that are just tanking real hard on the market, selling horribly.

I'm just glad the market is smarter filtering out the crap and the good titles.

As you can see i'm very "hyped" for this game.

Sigh, the visuals look like yet another overly post-processed, shit smeared on the screen extravaganza that we've come to associate with 'next-gen'. The original GRID still looks pretty great on PC once you take away the piss filter - why can't they just take the conservative realism route?

Pretty much, this doesn't look good at all.

"No one uses cockpit view, so we got rid of it." (Paraphrasing but whatever.)

Yeah, and because of that I won't even consider buying it, which is a damn shame because I loved the first one.

DD

Codemasters gets the prize from me as "developer who took the biggest nosedive this gen".

Colin McRae and Toca Race Driver were two of my favorite games, an then they took them and transformed into two half-assed arcade games in a period where there isn't much of a market for them.

They fail as arcade games, and they still have some simulation stuff in it, like "licensed circuits" that in the end produce games that are just tanking real hard on the market, selling horribly.

I'm just glad the market is smarter filtering out the crap and the good titles.

As you can see i'm very "hyped" for this game.

The problem with Codemasters is that their modern games are really short on content. I can't look at Dirt 2 and 3 and think that's a full game. Great graphics, great gameplay, but where the f*ck are the tracks? Where the hell are the long points based championships?

They look like glorified demos beeing sold at full price.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
videos are new to me and they look fantastic - especially the california coast :O

that said, i'll be waiting for a demo and keeping my expectations in check. i really disliked grid 1 (based on the demo), and while looking better, something still looked a bit funky in how the cars were driving in these videos (floaty and tail happy)

schuey7

The more I see the less I like the game.Grid had good visuals for its time and this doesnt look like a step up. In fact it looks like "piss filter 2.0" has been liberally applied. The only hope is that it plays well. I also wish CM would spend less money on these videos and more on the game.

amar212

Can't find a new thread for it but I've been playing some Grid 2 and here's the first of a few new videos I'll be putting up in the coming days.

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Grid-2-Paris-Elimination-hands-on-gameplay-video

Thank you for this Alan!

Can you comment on the following:

- how would you describe wheel support?
- have you seen the career structure? Any comments?
- is the catch-up still strong as in first game?
- have you seen the Live Routes system? How does it work?

Thank you in advance!

ReaperXL7

Dident the first game allow you to choose your name ingame, and race announcers would actually call it out during their commentary? If this is that game, I always thought that was pretty damn awesome.

saladine1

I'm looking forward to the spectacle. Not many games concentrate on the motorsport spectacle. Hopefully Grid 2 delivers.

VVV Mars VG

Can you say how many tracks the game has?

Not at the moment, we've seen six locations so far.

- how would you describe wheel support?
- have you seen the career structure? Any comments?
- is the catch-up still strong as in first game?
- have you seen the Live Routes system? How does it work?

Wheel is harder to play with than the pad, overly sensitive at this stage but then it really depends on the car.
Career content will begin to be revealed on May 1st.
No idea.
Live routes is a good leveller, makes for more unpredictable races though I'm more of a circuit guy. You'll see a live route in one of my upcoming vids.

Top Bottom