• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn has an expansion, Ashes of Malmouth. Launches Oct 11

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
just started a melee necromancer :D

image.php

Been playing for hours. This is a really solid expansion and I highly recommend it to anyone who was disappointed with Diablo 3 and loved Titan Quest.

Neith

Banned
Damn, just started this game for the first time, and I can honesty say it's right where I want this type of game to be.

I like Titan Quest, but it was always a bit too clean for my tastes.

It's so damn polished right now. I waited a long time, and it honestly seems fantastic. I hear they just balanced the Shaman too.

I kind of like the two handed builds.

Can someone please explain to me what classes might be the most fun. I do enjoy playing with my controller, but I also do the hybrid controller movement and mouse for most everything else too.

What classes are the coolest to use? Is there more blood with generally fighters? Are the magic guys fun to use with cool effects? What are some classes I might want to try out?

It's so hard to choose here. I was thinking more of a shaman build with eldritch stuff, but I have no idea what anything does. I want to be able to play the harder bosses at some point. Does it even matter what build I choose for first veteran playthrough?

Can I just change it up for new games? Does anything follow over from the previous game? I'm just kinda wanting to know any super relevant details about builds, legendary bosses, and new playthroughs. Thanks.

Cracklox

Questions

Alright. I'll try my best to help. Not yet been able to tuck into the new content properly so, the below is based on the base game

- Coolest to use classes? That depends on what you like. Arcanist has alot of pretty cool flashy powers. Demolitionist as well. In fact combing those two into a sorceror can make for some really strong, fun builds. Soldier isn't really my cup of tea, but it's undeniably strong, especially from a defensive perspective. I have quite a few builds where I basically just use a lot of their defensive skills, and pick up most of my damage from the other. Combining with a nightblade into a blademaster, for a long time was the strongest build in the game. They've since been brought back a little, but still good fun and pretty damn effective. However, a lot of my builds tend to end up with an occultist in it, largely because how good one of its early powers, curse of frailty is. Shaman is prob my least used tbh, but the recent buffs should help, and they're a good starting point for 2 hand builds at least, as well as lightening based builds. Primal strike is pretty rad to be fair

- Don't worry too much about your first playthrough. Most stuff works. Veteran doesn't change much from normal except the amount of hero spawns. It also has the age old design of beating 3 difficulties to 'beat' the game. Around the mid point of elite (second difficulty) is where what you're doing will need to make some sense to progress. If you haven't really thought it out, and ignored resists, damage mitigation etc, the game will start to get real hard around that point, and near impossible in ultimate
first hand experience here
. Also respeccing is easy and was just made even better with the expansion that now lets you refund attribute points, and points invested in your mastery bar. Previously it was just points in skills, and devotion points.

- Changing it up for new games? Sure. Do it. I've got 18 max level characters, and constantly thinking of new ways to build around skills I haven't used, or building around a shiny new piece of loot I might find. In terms of what carries over, there is a shared stash for all your characters, where you can store gear, crafting components etc, that can make subsequent playthroughs that much easier. I'll say it again, re-rolling is the real endgame

- The expansion is obviously going to change up the meta some when it comes to toughest bosses in the game, but in the base game a semi hidden boss (the mad queen) is often used as a yard stick for how good your build is. She's pretty damn tough in Ultimate, especially for melee and I've had more then a few characters where I had cleared Ultimate ok, but had all kinds of trouble against her. Then there's one or two optional bosses that are, well, forkin ridiculous. One of them I've never beaten and unlikely ever will (it's basically a God you fight.). There are also nemesis, which are faction bosses that can spawn in certain points when you have beaten up enough of their faction. One in particular, the Iron Maiden, is amongst the toughest enemies in the game and can be real tricky to deal with. Another, Fabius, was pretty much the yard stick before mad queen was added. He can be a real asshole too, but not at the same level as Maiden. The other nemesis, range from annoying for certain builds, to pushovers

I hope that helps :)

Neith

Banned
Alright. I'll try my best to help. Not yet been able to tuck into the new content properly so, the below is based on the base game

- Coolest to use classes? That depends on what you like. Arcanist has alot of pretty cool flashy powers. Demolitionist as well. In fact combing those two into a sorceror can make for some really strong, fun builds. Soldier isn't really my cup of tea, but it's undeniably strong, especially from a defensive perspective. I have quite a few builds where I basically just use a lot of their defensive skills, and pick up most of my damage from the other. Combining with a nightblade into a blademaster, for a long time was the strongest build in the game. They've since been brought back a little, but still good fun and pretty damn effective. However, a lot of my builds tend to end up with an occultist in it, largely because how good one of its early powers, curse of frailty is. Shaman is prob my least used tbh, but the recent buffs should help, and they're a good starting point for 2 hand builds at least, as well as lightening based builds. Primal strike is pretty rad to be fair

- Don't worry too much about your first playthrough. Most stuff works. Veteran doesn't change much from normal except the amount of hero spawns. It also has the age old design of beating 3 difficulties to 'beat' the game. Around the mid point of elite (second difficulty) is where what you're doing will need to make some sense to progress. If you haven't really thought it out, and ignored resists, damage mitigation etc, the game will start to get real hard around that point, and near impossible in ultimate
first hand experience here
. Also respeccing is easy and was just made even better with the expansion that now lets you refund attribute points, and points invested in your mastery bar. Previously it was just points in skills, and devotion points.

- Changing it up for new games? Sure. Do it. I've got 18 max level characters, and constantly thinking of new ways to build around skills I haven't used, or building around a shiny new piece of loot I might find. In terms of what carries over, there is a shared stash for all your characters, where you can store gear, crafting components etc, that can make subsequent playthroughs that much easier. I'll say it again, re-rolling is the real endgame

- The expansion is obviously going to change up the meta some when it comes to toughest bosses in the game, but in the base game a semi hidden boss (the mad queen) is often used as a yard stick for how good your build is. She's pretty damn tough in Ultimate, especially for melee and I've had more then a few characters where I had cleared Ultimate ok, but had all kinds of trouble against her. Then there's one or two optional bosses that are, well, forkin ridiculous. One of them I've never beaten and unlikely ever will (it's basically a God you fight.). There are also nemesis, which are faction bosses that can spawn in certain points when you have beaten up enough of their faction. One in particular, the Iron Maiden, is amongst the toughest enemies in the game and can be real tricky to deal with. Another, Fabius, was pretty much the yard stick before mad queen was added. He can be a real asshole too, but not at the same level as Maiden. The other nemesis, range from annoying for certain builds, to pushovers

I hope that helps :)

Yes, thank you very much. I have one more question. When I reroll on a new game do I reroll completely and not take anything with me but some equipment? So I am free to do whatever I want again? Or do I need to carry over stuff?

And you mention a decent amount of combos. How many different classes can I pick for one build? And what about those skills devotion stuff? Thanks.

I've got to say I really love this game.

Backlogger

Double post but screw it, not editing again.

To those wondering about controller support, its in game at the moment but from what I hear it's not great.

However in a recent dev stream, they mentioned they have been refining it, and it should be a lot better soon. They're working on an xbox one version, so they want it improved before that releases

I’ve been using the Steam Controller and love it. It’s one of the few games I actually use the Steam Controller on

Just started the new act with a buddy. I'm a Nightblade/Inquisitor cold pistols build, and he's a Necromancer/Shaman summoner melee build.

I don't have enough HP LOL. I got too aggressive with damage on this guy, hopefully I can iron it out before elite. I'm having a blast though.

Cracklox

Yes, thank you very much. I have one more question. When I reroll on a new game do I reroll completely and not take anything with me but some equipment? So I am free to do whatever I want again? Or do I need to carry over stuff?

And you mention a decent amount of combos. How many different classes can I pick for one build? And what about those skills devotion stuff? Thanks.

I've got to say I really love this game.

Yah. There's a shared stash (back left in devils crossing) that i'd recommend storing all your components and crafting gear in as well as any gear that you find that you think may be useful later. That stash can be accessed by all characters you make from there (except hardcore, who share a seperate stash). Other then that go crazy with new characters. They're all a blank slate essentially. I'm pretty sure there's no limit on how many you can make too.

As for classes there are 8 total, and you can choose a combination of two per character. Makes for a total of 28 different combinations. See here that explains it better

Devotion and how to get the best out of it, can be a bit of a rabbit-hole, but also one of the best layers of customization for builds in the game. I'd suggest starting here. Prob the most important thing to remember is once you unlock a new devotion power, to assign it to one of your active skills, so it a) actually works and b) gains ranks and gets more powerful. Look at constellations that fit what you are doing. Dealing fire damage? Find some that buff fire damage and they will often have a fire based skill to unlock at the end. And so on, for each damage type. There also alot of important defensive skills and options in there, which shouldn't be ignored.

At the end of the day though, trial and error is the best way to do it. You can refund points in there easily enough

Just started the new act with a buddy. I'm a Nightblade/Inquisitor cold pistols build, and he's a Necromancer/Shaman summoner melee build.

I don't have enough HP LOL. I got too aggressive with damage on this guy, hopefully I can iron it out before elite. I'm having a blast though.

Haha. I'm running an Infiltrator as well. Just starting the second of the new acts at level 58. But holy crap at the difficulty ramp up. I've even died a few times. It's only veteran too, so can't wait for Ultimate with hopefully some better gear to handle it. Need some of that new Inquisitor gear, even some of the blues, but the games being stingy at the moment

Mulgrok

running pure necromancer and going full pet boosting gear is allowing me to steamroll through veteran difficulty, including all optional bosses 10+ levels higher than me. Every boss dies in under 5 seconds. The trade-off is that I die instantly any time I stop giving the game my full attention, because stupid low defensive stats. My pre-expansion conjurer took forever to kill stuff and had a lot of difficulty with some bosses.

matmanx1

I'm ashamed to say I backed this game via KS because of how much I enjoyed Titan Quest but never got around to playing it. This thread has reminded me of the error of my ways and I am now downloading and installing.

Haha. I'm running an Infiltrator as well. Just starting the second of the new acts at level 58. But holy crap at the difficulty ramp up. I've even died a few times. It's only veteran too, so can't wait for Ultimate with hopefully some better gear to handle it. Need some of that new Inquisitor gear, even some of the blues, but the games being stingy at the moment
How are you liking Infiltrator and what build did you go with? I just hit 60 myself and my pistol cold build is wrapping up finely. Still kinda squishy though, at least in multiplayer.

And I know that feeling. I NEVER get cool/good gear drops. As I mentioned I am a cold/pistols build, and only ever see fire pistols drop. :| 60 levels of fire pistols, not even kidding. No good armor either. I have had to leech off my friend's drops, lol.

Unicorn

I'm ashamed to say I backed this game via KS because of how much I enjoyed Titan Quest but never got around to playing it. This thread has reminded me of the error of my ways and I am now downloading and installing.

You're in for a treat.

Love the way this game has the constellations augment your skills.

If anything I wish it had Path of Exile styles slotting system for further skill augmentation.

Also, I feel most skills have too many levels so I end up really only using 2-3 active skills and maybe a couple passive... Then again, it also forces me to really build a specific character and leads to more playthroughs and builds.

Cracklox

How are you liking Infiltrator and what build did you go with? I just hit 60 myself and my pistol cold build is wrapping up finely. Still kinda squishy though, at least in multiplayer.

And I know that feeling. I NEVER get cool/good gear drops. As I mentioned I am a cold/pistols build, and only ever see fire pistols drop. :| 60 levels of fire pistols, not even kidding. No good armor either. I have had to leech off my friend's drops, lol.

I'm just making it up as I go really. Focused on the ice traps, which wreck house. Using inquisitor seal as well and word of renewal. From night blade, just the cold aura and pneaumatic burst. Have 1 pointed SS as well, more for mobility purposes. Using greater ice spike for now till I can find a decent ranged weapon and I'll likely switch to a beronath shard, with some weapon procs.

Also using 3 tier 3 devotions, whirlpool, spectral sage, and the new one between them, along with elemental storm. Oh and can't forget nemesis relic, which is a nice placeholder till I find something more inquis focused.

So far so good. Up to act 3 elite, level 70 and it's clearing faster then pretty much any other character I've built

I'm just making it up as I go really. Focused on the ice traps, which wreck house. Using inquisitor seal as well and word of renewal. From night blade, just the cold aura and pneaumatic burst. Have 1 pointed SS as well, more for mobility purposes. Using greater ice spike for now till I can find a decent ranged weapon and I'll likely switch to a beronath shard, with some weapon procs.

Also using 3 tier 3 devotions, whirlpool, spectral sage, and the new one between them, along with elemental storm. Oh and can't forget nemesis relic, which is a nice placeholder till I find something more inquis focused.

So far so good. Up to act 3 elite, level 70 and it's clearing faster then pretty much any other character I've built
Funny enough, we have a very similar build I'm just more focused on guns. :p That's awesome.

I'm currently 84 right now and in the final act of Ultimate. Things are hard as hell now. I die a lot. It's mostly due to gear though and not the build. I have less HP than I should (still) and like no defenses either. My buddy is carrying me really, haha. In my defense though... we get about 10 legendaries that fit his build every session whereas I get none. I have one purple on my character right now.

Cracklox

Funny enough, we have a very similar build I'm just more focused on guns. :p That's awesome.

I'm currently 84 right now and in the final act of Ultimate. Things are hard as hell now. I die a lot. It's mostly due to gear though and not the build. I have less HP than I should (still) and like no defenses either. My buddy is carrying me really, haha. In my defense though... we get about 10 legendaries that fit his build every session whereas I get none. I have one purple on my character right now.

So I've changed a few things around and its working pretty well. Just dropped Ultimate Log without coming close to dying in about a minute or so. Have had an occasional death in ultimate, but its been pretty sturdy all in all, and the damage is pretty crazy

This is how he looks skill wise now.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKQBAEV

I haven't done all the components, augements etc on that, but here's how he currently looks

GPsq4TYN.jpg

That OA goes even higher with deadly aim up too. Its all still very much a wip though. More health would be nice and I want to dual wield, but tome of arcane wastes is otherwise pretty perfect (even without using the skill on it, which is awesome but an energy guzzler), so I'm going to need a pretty good replacement. Also I have pants to replace those, but can't equip them to 94

Keeping word of renewal and PB burst up will add massively to your survivabilty. Also drop a seal, and stand and tank in it. Ideally you want enemies close to shoot them in the face to capitalize on the debuff from nights chill, which has a small range. Devotion wise, arcane seal on inquisitor seal, elemental seekers on beronaths fury and whirlpool on traps, and elemental storm on blade spirit. I managed to fit in wayward soul for a little help defensively too

I keep a blade spirit out to proc elemental storms, stand in the seal and chuck traps when they're off cooldown and pew-pew away. Shit explodes, collect loots, move on

Top Bottom