• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn Kickstarter project by Crate Entertainment [Ended, $537K funded]

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
On the brink of 445k. Got about 10k in 5-6 hours today. Could definitely see it coming close to 480k. If it does I wonder if they'll have any sort of last minute surprise/push for 500k?

Card Boy

Banned
3 new milestones added

$490k - 2 additional monster types (models and animations) and another 25 extra pieces of unique item art
$500k - A new dungeon art-set with a choice of catacombs or sewers that you'll get to vote on.
$520 - SURVIVAL MODE! We'll create a new gameplay mode that will be free for all backers (KS or Website Pre-order). In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
500k sounds good, more unique art, models, animations, and dungeon themes would be nice and help keep things fresh. But I doubt I'd put much time into survival mode, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't hit 520k.

Kind of seems backwards, but it's how I feel.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's gotten 30k over the last 14 hours? Another 35k in the last 10 for 500k seems plenty possible.

Wouldn't have thought it would hit 520k a few days ago, but now I think it has a realistic chance. Will probably be close though.

mclem

500k any minute now (2.5k to go).

KnWyZ.jpg

I think we're gonna need a bigger stretch goal.

Edit: Thar she blows!

Xavien

Up to 511k already, they've added a new stretch goal

$535k - A new faction and story-line! This stretch goal was determined by a fan poll thanks to William Potash for having the idea to run that!

i just want to mention that if you're not too occupied with D3 and haven't tried titan quest yet, do it. stat.

they maintained rights to the engine when their studio was shut down, so imagine the upgrade over TQ. not just graphics wise but design too. I'm in the process of playing through it right now and it's weird thinking that this game came out before this gen started.

i hope they comment on a target release window soon. with all these new goals being piled on im getting worried.

Teknoman

At some point? You have 1.5 hours left.

Heh, I totally missed the mark on that one then...

i just want to mention that if you're not too occupied with D3 and haven't tried titan quest yet, do it. stat.

they maintained rights to the engine when their studio was shut down, so imagine the upgrade over TQ. not just graphics wise but design too. I'm in the process of playing through it right now and it's weird thinking that this game came out before this gen started.

i hope they comment on a target release window soon. with all these new goals being piled on im getting worried.

I'm just glad the attacks in Grim Dawn actually look like they have weight to them. That is the only thing I didnt like about Titan Quest. Well that and there werent really any defined classes.

Final total: $537,515

[UNLOCKED] $535k - A new faction and story-line! This stretch goal was determined by a fan poll thanks to William Potash for having the idea to run that!

All stretch goals reached, never underestimate the power if the final 48-hour (or hell, in this case final 2-hour) push.

mclem

A lot of things are ones they can add incrimentally; if they handled it something like WoW with periodic dumps of additional content, that'd be fine by me.

... although that said, they'd better do it faster than WoW does!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One donor pledged 7k with about 10 minutes to go to hit final stretch goal

Kind of wonder if they actually went through with that, or if they just did it to hit the stretch goal and then prevent the charge from going through.

I guess I'm just leery of big pledges toward the very end, especially when stretch goals and rewards are involved.

Grim Dawn is Now Available on Steam Early Access and is 10% off!*

Classic action role-playing from the lead gameplay designer of Titan Quest! Grim Dawn features satisfying combat, strategic character development, frenzied loot collection and quests with choice and consequence.

Grim Dawn is developed by a small indie team of experienced developers, led by the lead gameplay designer of Titan Quest, using an enhanced version of the Titan Quest engine and tools. Please note that this game is still in development.
source

So it seems it's finally hit Steam. I only purchased the $18 tier so i can't play until it's fully released. Can't wait to play it, though. I found myself playing Titan Quest again the other day, and it's still my favorite ARPG.

It was on sale for $26 yesterday (might still be) so I picked it up. I've played an hour and it seems fun. Not sure if I should go Soldier or Demolitionist!

oneils

source

So it seems it's finally hit Steam. I only purchased the $18 tier so i can't play until it's fully released. Can't wait to play it, though. I found myself playing Titan Quest again the other day, and it's still my favorite ARPG.

It says "early access." Does that mean that the game is still in beta? I'm having a hard time figuring that out. Their website doesn't really explain it.

edit: er saw the "what the developers say" write up on Steam. I thought that was just marketing babble so skipped over it. Here is what they say:

Crate Entertainment said:
We're still working on expanding content and features for Grim Dawn but it is already very playable and the core gameplay is fun and relatively polished. The first "Act" is currently available and most players have reported their first run taking between 8-16 hours and some have already logged over 100 hours with replays and item farming. We still have significant content to develop and some features, such as multiplayer, are not yet online. Join us as we roll out new content, features and continue to refine the gameplay experience based on your feedback.

Grim Dawn is a passion project by a small team of experienced developers. Please be aware that we do our best to maintain a stable, enjoyable experience but because the game is in active development and things are constantly changing, problems do sometimes arise. You may also find that our pace of development is not as fast as larger teams. If you're looking for a polished gameplay experience right now and / or would be upset by delayed releases or slow updates, then you'd probably be happier waiting for the final release.

Look below for more detailed information on the current state of Grim Dawn and what's to come.

Not sure about spending 27 bucks for one act. I think I'll wait until there is more content. They must be having a tough go of it or else they are a much smaller team than I thought. Surprised to see that only one act has been completed.

Anyone know if that one act has multiple difficulties (like normal, hell, nightmare - whatever)? That would make it a little more interesting. NG+++ system would be good if they only have one act.

GECK

It says "early access." Does that mean that the game is still in beta? I'm having a hard time figuring that out. Their website doesn't really explain it.

Still Alpha.

Not sure about spending 27 bucks for one act. I think I'll wait until there is more content. They must be having a tough go of it or else they are a much smaller team than I thought. Surprised to see that only one act has been completed.

The act is surprisingly repayable and was more enjoyable than the entirety of vanilla Diablo 3.

Lain

I'm guessing every back has now received an Alpha Key. I've played a bit and the game is shaping up really well.
You won't find me saying it's better than Diablo 3 so far though gameplay wise (I still think D3 plays the best of all), but as a starting point it's got a promising future.

Top Bottom