• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn Kickstarter project by Crate Entertainment [Ended, $537K funded]

Update #1 is up: Answers to questions - Do you have a publisher? How big is Crate? How far along is Grim Dawn?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn/posts/210357
I completely sympathize with their point about being criticized for having worked on the game unpaid until now, but they sound a bit salty here:

So, I don't think it is fair for people to say a project that isn't started, because no one was willing to put in any work on it without full funding first, is more worthy than a project that people had the dedication to start themselves without money. I'm not knocking on any of the other projects, I can appreciate that those other studios have employees to support and maybe can't afford to invest free time into a new project but I also don't think we should be penalized because we did.
For the record, The Banner Saga was already being made by three guys in a garage who poured their life savings into the project. So they shouldn't act like they're alone, nor should people single them out for criticism.

how about cooking a pie?

portal-cake.jpg

But let's be real here, you think this will hit $840,000 after doing less than $90,000 on day one? Pretty sure that would be unprecedented outside of Double Fine. It would also set a new record for a low profile developer.

Looks like the odds are good that they'll make their goal.

It doesn't really matter whether they hit their goal or not though, right? The game was being made anyway, and will continue to be made regardless of what happens in this Kickstarter.

I do think they'll cross 280k though.

It doesn't really matter whether they hit their goal or not though, right? The game was being made anyway, and will continue to be made regardless of what happens in this Kickstarter.

Without funding it'll continue to be made at the same pitifully slow rate it's been produced over the past couple years.

I'm not into the lootwhore genre but I wish them luck given how hard they've had to work on this with no pay.

Yeah I'm not sure if they will hit the markt too, but I hope they will.
The goal is pretty modest so it'll absolutely hit that, it's just unclear how much higher they can go.

stuminus3

I put some money down, I'm on an ARPG kick these days and I figure these guys are good for it. I was already interested thanks to Titan Quest.

Misguided

Banned
What do you mean? It is a veritable archetype of an aRPG. Maybe you are confusing those japanese action games as RPGs?

They're both RPG's, just made in different countries where a few things about them tend to be a bit different, NOT different genres entirely. We don't call Vanquish a JTPS and Gears an ATPS; I've never understood why people felt the need to make the distinction for RPG's, and I feel like it shows that we're getting too far down the whole "genre" line of tradition for our own good. If that makes any sense.

KKRT00

TQ only really failed spectacularly in one way: No equivalent of Battle.net.

Blame THQ ;\

RPS: Were you happy with Titan Quest? Was there anything about it you wished you could have done but couldn’t?

[...]
I could go on and on but the last, most significant thing to me was the lack of secure multiplayer. THQ just didn’t want to invest the money for that. The previous two issues are things we’ve greatly improved upon for Grim Dawn but secure multiplayer is still something that eludes us due to the cost – for now… If the game is successful enough, this is something we will be keen to develop in the future.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/titanic-quest-crate-speak-about-grim-dawn/

Anno

Count me in for fifty, and amongst the people that enjoyed TQ as much a D2, if for different reasons. Only similar game that has ever really brought me in as much. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

kyubajin

Pledged $35 and it was just a bit short of 100 grand, I'm glad it's going this fast! I really really hope they go way beyond their goal and promise a Mac port.

Bebpo

Banned
Really really looking forward to playing this someday. Like the setting a lot. But not really a fan of the genre, and so don't want to chip into the kickstart. It's more like the $5 steam sale kind of game for me. If it was struggling to hit 280k I might chip in more, but it looks like it'll get made, so I'll pick it up down the line for less. I still haven't played TQ+Exp.

Card Boy

Banned
1: This is a huge plus
2: Loot was fine
3: Length was good

1) No it isn't, why would you even think this? Ramdomized areas give heaps of replayability to games in this genre. Do you think Diablo would be as popular as it is if it had the same fixed dungeons each time? Another reason why Dungeon Siege 3 doesn't get a replay from me.

2) Loot wasn't fine, 99% of the items where white and yellows. All the armour looked the same. All of it. Funny enough another reason why Dungeon Siege 3 fails aswell.

3) Lets agree to disagree.

Again i don't hate TQ, i'm just pointing out its major flaws. I am very excited for Grim Dawn.

ZoddGutts

Well the good thing is that they plan on fixing those flaws that Titan Quest had in this game. The developers know that TQ had flaws, so it's good that they have acknowledge it.

matmanx1

Loved the video! It looks like Titan Quest with updated graphics (even in that pre-Alpha state) which is just fine by me! Good to see them cruising past 100k already. I hope it keeps going well for them.

What is shady is that they dont have a publisher and are just a handful of dudes and they have tiers for boxed AMD collector's boxed editions. What the fuck kind of Indie dev promises that sort of thing and how do they plan on delivering when they end up only getting a few hundred people wanting boxed versions?

I believe Fargo and Schaefer have the volume and connections to pull off a small vanity press style runs of boxed editions. I do not at all believe that these guys do. The whole idea for boxed edition of a small indie game like this not only seems improbable, it seems like a huge waste of money.

luoapp

What is shady is that they dont have a publisher and are just a handful of dudes and they have tiers for boxed AMD collector's boxed editions. What the fuck kind of Indie dev promises that sort of thing and how do they plan on delivering when they end up only getting a few hundred people wanting boxed versions?

Everyone can get hundred of game boxes, manuals and maps printed for a rather low price. Add in a writable DVD disk, and you have a boxed version of the game. Really not a big deal. They didn't say it will be on the shelves of Gamespot or Walmart.

elcranky

Banned
1) No it isn't, why would you even think this? Ramdomized areas give heaps of replayability to games in this genre. Do you think Diablo would be as popular as it is if it had the same fixed dungeons each time? Another reason why Dungeon Siege 3 doesn't get a replay from me.

2) Loot wasn't fine, 99% of the items where white and yellows. All the armour looked the same. All of it. Funny enough another reason why Dungeon Siege 3 fails aswell.

3) Lets agree to disagree.

Again i don't hate TQ, i'm just pointing out its major flaws. I am very excited for Grim Dawn.

Non-randomized levels led to better level design. Randomized levels are not inherently good. Diablo did a good job with them. TQ did a much better job without them. The replayability in TQ came from its incredible skill system not patchwork level design.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
by the way

can you buy the game now through their site and get access to the alpha?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
by the way

can you buy the game now through their site and get access to the alpha?

Yes, you can still buy the game via the website; however, the alpha still hasn't been released yet, if that's what you're after.

Edit: Beaten.

Card Boy

Banned
Non-randomized levels led to better level design. Randomized levels are not inherently good. Diablo did a good job with them. TQ did a much better job without them. The replayability in TQ came from its incredible skill system not patchwork level design.

Disagree.

99%

120k, seems to have slown down a lot. I haven't pledged a cent, but I hope they make it none the less.

120k, seems to have slown down a lot. I haven't pledged a cent, but I hope they make it none the less.

They've hit the dead zone phase. Most Kickstarters get the majority of their funding in the first and last few days. It's normal. They'll make their goal.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware

I didn't love Torchlight nearly as much as most of GAF did, but I did appreciate their approach of using hand-designed levels for the story stuff, and randomly generated levels for those maps you could uncover and utilize.

ZoddGutts

It's slowed down. But one of the dev said they plan on doing a AMA (Ask Me Anything) reddit sometime next week. Should help like it did with Leisure Suit, when they did an AMA.

It's slowed down. But one of the dev said they plan on doing a AMA (Ask Me Anything) reddit sometime next week. Should help like it did with Leisure Suit, when they did an AMA.

If they do some more video updates and keep the communication flowing, I think they could end up with 400k.

ZoddGutts

There halfway there now to meet their funding goal. Though there aiming for it to end pass 450k as mention in the latest updates.

However, most of content development can be laterally expanded with the help of more developers and art outsourcing, without impact the release date. At $450k, we could bring on an additional designer, an artist and increase our outsourcing budget for equipment

Top Bottom