• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn Kickstarter project by Crate Entertainment [Ended, $537K funded]

Twinduct

$45.000 in less than a day. Kickstarter is providing amazing liquidity to small and niche studios.

Yep! Hopefully this keeps growing at the same pace. Any system that eliminates the publisher as being one of the only ways to fund a medium (to large) game, can only mean good things!

Still wonder how the system will evolve once we get the hit-and-run scams. Then again how does any donation-for-reward thing evolve when you have scammies.

My problem is I still don't have any one of these games in my hands.

No D3, PoE, GD, TL2, nothing. What am I going to do for a month?

Well you can donate to POE and get closed beta access :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't join in on their forum version of a Kickstarter. I liked Titan Quest a lot and this sounds cool, so I'll probably back it at some point.

Twinduct

Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't join in on their forum version of a Kickstarter. I liked Titan Quest a lot and this sounds cool, so I'll probably back it at some point.

Why? You still get the kickstarter rewards if you 'pre-ordered' the game before kickstarter? I mean you can actually donate the difference if you want to 'up' your bid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why? You still get the kickstarter rewards if you 'pre-ordered' the game before kickstarter? I mean you can actually donate the difference if you want to 'up' your bid.

It's just that the whole process of emailing and having things manually adjusted sounds like there's a lot of room for error. I'm glad I waited for the Kickstarter to back them.

Takuan

I bought Titan Quest and wasn't a fan of the setting overall, but I dig Victorian era imagery. Plus, the new engine looks quite a bit nicer, assuming those aren't all mockups. I'm in for $18.

Twinduct

It's just that the whole process of emailing and having things manually adjusted sounds like there's a lot of room for error. I'm glad I waited for the Kickstarter to back them.

heh cool. Was just afraid you missed the part of being eligible for the kickstarter awards =)
For the record, I also kinda waited/ hoped for it to come to kickstarter. Mostly just to see it get a boost in pre-sales.

matmanx1

I'm in for $35. I want to be involved in the beta and that's what motivated me to move up one tier on the donation ladder.

I think some of you who are down on Titan Quest never played the Immortal Throne with the fan patch version and only played the original release. The base game of Titan Quest was fun but flawed but like many games once the fans got it and produced some mods the game became pretty brilliant. I'd encourage anyone who's in the least bit interested in loot games to give it another shot.

And I hope this Kickstarter goes well for Grim Dawn. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They will succeed. Titan Quest has a following not near as large as Diablo 2 but every bit as dedicated. These guys really know their genre.

kyubajin

Pretty pumped by this KS, I've been following this game since the very beginning and can only see major breakthroughs come from such exposure. I'm in with $35 and will just be praying that they go way over their goal and jump into the Mac porting club.

elcranky

Banned
I don't think we are thinking of the same game, I am not a fan of TQ and thought it was hopelessly mediocre and not even in the same league as any of the Diablo games, I even prefer Torchlight over it.

That being said I am tempted to support them because I would like the project to succeed.

Titan Quest stomps all over Diablo 2. I think it is at least 50/50 that Titan Quest will still be better than Diablo 3. The biggest issue with it was probably that the first hour or so was the worst part of the game. That was still fine, probably equal to Diablo, but after that it really hit its stride.

In particular, the skill system, which conceptually has carried over into Grim Dawn, is bar against which all aRPGs should be judged. To date, all others have been found lacking!

The M.O.B

Wait so I bought the Epic edition on their site before this Kickstarter so I'm still guaranteed Beta access and the rest of the Epic benefits right? Without having to add more money?

But if I do add more money I can just get a few extra kickstarter things? I don't particularly want to give them more money as I'm only interested in the game, soundtrack, and beta access which are all given in the epic edition.

erragal

Wait so I bought the Epic edition on their site before this Kickstarter so I'm still guaranteed Beta access and the rest of the Epic benefits right? Without having to add more money?

But if I do add more money I can just get a few extra kickstarter things? I don't particularly want to give them more money as I'm only interested in the game, soundtrack, and beta access which are all given in the epic edition.

The only thing you won't get is their kickstarter in-game medal accessory which doubtless will confer no actual advantages past maybe an early starting boost.

Card Boy

Banned
My prediction for this Kickstarter 400K. I will reevaluate this prediction in 2 weeks time. Good stuff though.

Offering both a Steam and DRM free copy of the game is a good way to do things IMO.

Titan Quest stomps all over Diablo 2. I think it is at least 50/50 that Titan Quest will still be better than Diablo 3. The biggest issue with it was probably that the first hour or so was the worst part of the game. That was still fine, probably equal to Diablo, but after that it really hit its stride.

In particular, the skill system, which conceptually has carried over into Grim Dawn, is bar against which all aRPGs should be judged. To date, all others have been found lacking!
Boring monsters and death animations, mediocre loot system, mediocre sound effects, not nearly as replayable... I fail to see how it stomps over any of the Diablo games at all.

Card Boy

Banned

TQ stomps all over D2 in alot of ways but it fails in 3 ways.

1) No randomized areas
2) Shit loot
3) Way too long (I guess to make up for the no randomized areas)

aznpxdd

Awesome, I'll pick this up one day, spent countless hours on TQ & IT.

After I'm done obsessing over D3 of course...

Fou-Lu

Will back this when I have the cash.

I'm one of those people who liked Titan Quest more than Diablo 2. If it hadn't been so drawn out it would probably be one of my favorite games of all time.

Loved the class system though, glad to see they're going with something similar in GD.

turnbuckle

Titan quest was pretty great. Some dull moments but it scratched an itch better than most games could for me. This will be my first time pledging through kickstarter. I'm in for $50.

Gonna pledge $50 next pay. Been waiting on this game for what feels like years and TQ is one of my favorite arpg's.

Really wish these guys the best of luck.

Stasis

Pledged $50. Huge fan of TQ and I'm more psyched about this than I am about D3. I want me some alpha/beta access and for this to succeed. Been waiting for TQ2 for a while...

Go Grim Dawn!

KKRT00

Boring monsters and death animations, mediocre loot system, mediocre sound effects, not nearly as replayable... I fail to see how it stomps over any of the Diablo games at all.

Yyy? Death Animations were physic based [like in d3 now], playing as overpowered dream class was awesome.

I have never understood argument that loot was mediocre. How exactly? Uniques were great, sets were great, enchanting was great, rares had as many affixes as in Diablo 2.
Replayability ? No randomized arenas, but world was bigger, time of day was dynamic and community made two new worlds that were almost as large as in base game.

I didnt like active skills [double click to activate etc] and setting [and i love ancient Greece], but whole concept of passives and combined classes was great and really added to coop. You could build really awesome skill combos with friends.

painey

I tried to play TQ but it wouldn't work on my PC so I wasn't really excited as I loaded the page, but that video is awesome and they have actual video gameplay which is a LOT more than most KS pages offer, most are just ideas. I will back this just because it looks amazing and the guy in the video said the right things and sounded sincere.

Lothars

I feel the same way, I am not a TQ fan at all and I don't think it even comes close to any of the Diablo games.

Twinduct

I haven't found any info on MP. Does this game have co-op?

From my understanding, the game uses a beefed up version of the original TQ engine, which supported MP/ co-op fine!

I also think I saw two players in one of the Videos. Although that could have been a henchman type thing.

Long and short, pretty sure it will support it!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I really like aesthetics. DIII and TII don't appeal to me with their cartoony style.

Top Bottom