• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn Kickstarter project by Crate Entertainment [Ended, $537K funded]

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Did I miss something (I've been off GAF a few days)? Why are you asking why now? Did something happen with a kickstarter or just so many in general or...?

I think he is just complaining about too many.

For "hype" projects recently there has been Double Fine, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga has seen a lot of hype to it, and Shadowrun. (Edit: Forgot about Larry, how could I? Although it is moving fairly slow... much slower than I thought it would at least)

Although if you pledge 15 for each that is only the cost of 1 new game for 4 titles I suppose, but I will admit they are coming out at a pretty accelerated pace...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Considering their circumstances, I don't really think it's surprising that it's taking so long to release the game. It's more surprising that they've actually gotten this far. Hopefully the kickstarter is successful and they finish the game by their late 2013 estimation.

Lothars

Actual fans of the genre know this comment couldn't be further from the truth. TQ as of this point is the best loot based RPG available. Unlike the endlessly overrated Torchlight they actually progressed the genre in meaningful ways with detailed attention paid to all aspects of the core game design.
I don't think we are thinking of the same game, I am not a fan of TQ and thought it was hopelessly mediocre and not even in the same league as any of the Diablo games, I even prefer Torchlight over it.

That being said I am tempted to support them because I would like the project to succeed.

KKRT00

I love TQ and its community [those mods!], but i'm poor now and really want to get into 50$ pledge range to get access to alpha. At least i still have 30 days for that :)

People who complain about TQ should try it out again with Immortal Throne and community patch. I really hope that if Kickstarter do well, they'll implement closed server architecture even if that means only private servers - they've already talked about that in interview with Rock Paper and Shotgun.
They said that they love the idea of battlenet, but havent got funds for that from THQ in Titan Quest and now they dont have almost any at all ;\
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/titanic-quest-crate-speak-about-grim-dawn/

Ps. 24k already ;]

frequency

I liked Titan Quest but I don't think I'll support this.

$100 for physical disk is really steep.
Especially when you see the $18 tier.

$82 is too much of a difference.

MDSLKTR

I will kickstart this, even tough I never finished it, TQ was highly enjoyable and this seems to correct the only flaw that bothered me (art). Hell it already looks better than D3 in that regard.

Chris R

Was wondering why the game was taking so damn long to come out. Guess they need investors.

Will wait and see what the trend is like before I put my cash down though. No point in getting my hype up if this doesn't get the 280k.

Vamphuntr

Hmmm weren't they asking people to fully buy/preorder the game last year? Doesn't seem right to still ask for money. It seems they aren't great at managing their cash. It doesn't seem like kickstarting a project either since they've been working on it and even selling keys before! More like we ran out of cash please pay more.

DaBuddaDa

A mismanaged and desperate team unable to produce anything in three years of dev time asking for a bailout? No thanks, I'll pass.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A mismanaged and desperate team unable to produce anything in three years of dev time asking for a bailout? No thanks, I'll pass.

That's... not what the page says at all. They have two dedicated developers. Everyone else is working on it in their free time, unpaid, and that's why it's going so slow. They even explicitly say they're going to finish the game with or without the successful kickstarter, this is just for a last push in the right direction and getting more fulltime paid employees on board.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I really like everything I've read about the developers and their design philosophy. I hope they're successful with their funding.

Will keep an eye on it. Goal is relativly low but I fear that the timing is bad, with Diablo 3 looming.

I would assume they have made quite a bit of money since the game was first unveiled... they have been taking money from fans for some time now

I am slightly confused by the "esitmated release of Aug 2013" I thought on their website they had expected this game to be finished this year.

nubbe

They have more to show for their time and effort than most KS projects.
Since they have a functional concept... engine, assets, mechanics...

Durante

That's stupid.

It's a team of 2 working full-time on the project, and they have a lot more to show than most kickstarters.

Minsc

Gold Member

The newest footage they released looked pretty good... but if you look at it that way, there's reason to be skeptical of course - of any project that goes on for years and years with minimal/slow progress. It doesn't seem like the project ground to a halt entirely though, like some others, just that it's got a very long road ahead of it still. Which might be shortened if other people want to back it and give them more money.

Hmmm weren't they asking people to fully buy/preorder the game last year? Doesn't seem right to still ask for money. It seems they aren't great at managing their cash. It doesn't seem like kickstarting a project either since they've been working on it and even selling keys before! More like we ran out of cash please pay more.

Yeah, but the only people who knew about it were the loyal fans who'd have visited the website on their own initiative. So I don't think they raised a ton of cash in the first place. The point of pursuing Kickstarter is it will probably raise a lot more money and awareness, and allow them to make the progress faster and make the game better, like they say. The good thing is the people who did pre-order directly can upgrade their pre-order to a KS, without having to buy in to it a second time.

Worst case scenario, just don't donate anything and hope the project is heavily backed so you can buy a fun aRPG down the road when it's released.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That's... not what the page says at all. They have two dedicated developers. Everyone else is working on it in their free time, unpaid, and that's why it's going so slow.

And even the dedicated developers have day jobs to pay the bills. No wonder it takes longer to finish a game this way. In fact, it shows how much these guys care to work their butts off in their spare time.

KKRT00

Yeah, but the only people who knew about it were the loyal fans who'd have visited the website on their own initiative. So I don't think they raised a ton of cash in the first place.

This and also because paypal froze their account for 6 months! Thats why they wont it use anymore.

GJS

Looks great considering how the team developing it is formed. Two devs working off of personal savings from past jobs and others working on it whilst they have a full time job.

Videos had me impressed too, might actually think about pledging this one.

Kalnos

Banned
It's no different than asking for donations on their own site, other than Kickstarter giving them more exposure. I might be opposed if they weren't giving people who already bought the game the Kickstarter rewards.

With that said, I don't have much faith.

I don't really like everything about Diablo 3's art style but it's certainly superior to this boring style. I think what I would want lies somewhere between the two.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hope it does well, and gets done in a timely manner. I don't wish anyone like this ill will.

That being said with Diablo III, Torchlight II, and Path of Exile all due out this year it's hard to get hyped about this coming out probably Fall 2013. It also doesn't help that this has been in dev for like forever it seems and now they need another influx of cash to get it done but that'll still take a year and a half.

I could just be cynical though!

The $18 tier makes a lot more sense than $15 for a game.

That said, as I mentioned when I first read about this.

TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY!!!

I thought the purpose of kickstarters was to fund creativity

The purpose of Kickstarter is to fundraise, period.

and not to give developers money to make a project that they were going to make/were already making anyways.

I've seen way too many posts like this. It's rather sad that we turn on devs that are making what they want.

nubbe

Double Fine made a kickstart out of desperation
InXile wanted to make Wasteland 2, a game 25 years in the making... with nothing to show.

and this a functional game :p

Empty words and broken promises is what people love.

garath

InXile wanted to make Wasteland 2, a game 25 years in the making... with nothing to show.

Exactly. They're basically just looking for money to finish an already well fleshed out game with a solid engine.

This is probably going to be the first kickstarter I get behind.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
watched the video.

well, I like what I see. I personally like art style and atmosphere. I think I'll pull out funds from Shadowrun and invest in this.

Vamphuntr

Yeah, but the only people who knew about it were the loyal fans who'd have visited the website on their own initiative. So I don't think they raised a ton of cash in the first place. The point of pursuing Kickstarter is it will probably raise a lot more money and awareness, and allow them to make the progress faster and make the game better, like they say. The good thing is the people who did pre-order directly can upgrade their pre-order to a KS, without having to buy in to it a second time.

Worst case scenario, just don't donate anything and hope the project is heavily backed so you can buy a fun aRPG down the road when it's released.

I can understand that fairly well but from my point of view it doesn't seem like you really "kickstart" a project since they were already working on it and already had taken money for it. I'm just trying to discuss the ethical limit on the whole thing both from Kickstarter itself and from people submitting projects.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kickstarters like this just rub me the wrong way. Especially when they acknowledge they're perfectly capable of finishing the game without the Kickstarter help.

Kickstarters like this just rub me the wrong way. Especially when they acknowledge they're perfectly capable of finishing the game without the Kickstarter help.

I guess if you look at it from a donation angle.

But if you actually want a copy of the game, all you are doing is pre-buying at a cheaper price.

For me, I grew bored with Titan Quest pretty fast, so I think I'll pass.

Maybe as a 4 pack in a couple of years during a Steam sale.

ZoddGutts

Except the game wouldn't be as good and would also take much longer to finish, that's because they don't have the money to pay people full time to work on this game. Only two people are working full time on this game, the rest are only helping during their free time.

BiggNife

I'm not even a big fan of hack-and-loot style games but this looks really neat. Also I really appreciate the fact that the KS video comes off as really honest and does a good job of explaining the game, instead of ten minutes of someone failing miserably at doing a Tim Schafer impression like most video game KS videos these days. Backed.

Dineren

Banned
I had already preordered with them, but went ahead and kicked in an extra $52 to get the physical release. I loved Titan Quest and like what I've seen of Grim Dawn so far. Hope they do well with this!

poisonelf

Let me once again say that I loved Titan Quest and consider it to be an incredibly polished game with exactly the right amount of attention to detail for it to be the perfect Diablo clone, set in a beautiful world.
These guys closing down was one of the saddest gaming related news I ever read.

However, unfortunately, this type of game has no meaning for me as far as multiplayer goes without dedicated servers support.

Judging by Titan Quest's quality and Grim Dawn's videos this would be my Diablo 3 as well if it was based on closed servers.
I understand after reading on their forums that maintenance, development and especially costs are too much for a small company, but I think multiplayer is going to be a pointless hack-fest.

I do intend to buy it once it's released since I loved Titan Quest, and wish them all the luck with raising money.

so cynical.

DFA/TS can deliver n will

BF+inxile+avellone will deliver.

in either instance; you only paid $15 for the game anyhow.

i have no issues with all the KS projects i chose to back because of the pedigree and expertise of the guys working o it

erragal

I can understand that fairly well but from my point of view it doesn't seem like you really "kickstart" a project since they were already working on it and already had taken money for it. I'm just trying to discuss the ethical limit on the whole thing both from Kickstarter itself and from people submitting projects.

People would understand except you're confusing semantics for ethics. Many of the projects submitted to kickstarter are in fact in some stage of pre-completion and are in need of funding to 'finish the job' as it were. DoubleFine and Wasteland 2 are unusual in that the pedigree of the people involved allowed for massive funding to be raised based on virtually zero groundwork being done.

Just look at the other games on Kickstarter; much of the initial design has been already been done by people in their spare time/as a hobby and they feel their project is promising enough that getting the funding to go at it full time would result in a profitable venture. (I'll link this one because I'm actually supporting it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1432779589/aura-tactics?ref=live)

As for the individuals saying "Herp derp 3 years and you aren't done, you suck". If you really examine the progress of Grim Dawn they have the vast majority of the work done that the full-time staff actually has the skills to complete. They have zero people producing art full-time for them and that's often the part of modern games that most of the manpower is thrown at; just look at the artist credits in games once in awhile. It still amazes me how few people, especially on this forum, understand the process of developing games.

Vamphuntr

People would understand except you're confusing semantics for ethics. Many of the projects submitted to kickstarter are in fact in some stage of pre-completion and are in need of funding to 'finish the job' as it were. DoubleFine and Wasteland 2 are unusual in that the pedigree of the people involved allowed for massive funding to be raised based on virtually zero groundwork being done.

I won't derail the thread but I'm not confusing both at all. You could say many projects are at the conceptual/prototype stage too. Especially outside of gaming Kickstarters. Anyway that was my point and instead of having the same circular arguments I'll stop derailing the thread.

My problem is I still don't have any one of these games in my hands.

No D3, PoE, GD, TL2, nothing. What am I going to do for a month?

Top Bottom