• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn Kickstarter project by Crate Entertainment [Ended, $537K funded]

panty

I've visited this thread a couple of times before but this is the first time I read their story and what they're planning to do. That said, this sounds very interesting. I'm definitely pledging at least $35, possibly even more.

Hopefully they succeed.

Just pledged $50. I've had such a blast with TQ+IT. I was kind of sad when Iron Lore closed their doors. Wish them best of luck and looking forward to Grim Dawn!

luoapp

There is a guys who want to donate 100k$ for the project.
First post here :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/crateentertainment

It kinda makes sense to wire that amount of money outside the Kickstart to avoid the cut of KS (and credit card companies, probably). I've seen quite some large donations towards the kickstart projects I've tracked. It would be interesting if someone can do an interview of these guys to find out the reason, do they just like the project/game that much? or they have some special memories with dev's previous games? or they just feel generous at the moment?

This Kickstarter campaign now has sponsorship from Logitech. This is a very interesting development for Kickstarter campaigns, and I wonder if it might become a trend. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

936911-GFDDP6V.png

Oh wow, this is gonna make it for sure. I hope it reaches the target soon so they can announce what they're going to do with more money.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
$2000 to go or so, this will probably be funded by the end of the day or early tomorrow.

Hopefully they push further incentives quickly, I know they already mentioned some higher funding incentives but they need to redouble that.

ArjanN

$2000 to go or so, this will probably be funded by the end of the day or early tomorrow.

Hopefully they push further incentives quickly, I know they already mentioned some higher funding incentives but they need to redouble that.

It's funded now. With 11 days to go.

The M.O.B

This is from a little while ago but nice to see this thread contributed a lot of people to kickstart this.

pledges.jpg

80 pledges from NeoGaf, and probably more now. We beat 4chan.

panty

Yay, new stuff. I'm going to up my pledge, so hyped for this.
Wow, I can't believe almost an entire month has gone by since we started the Grim Dawn Kickstarter! It's been such a whirlwind of constant activity and work that time has just flown by. I don't know about you but I'm certain this is an experience I'll remember all of my life. This last month especially but also the past few years that I've been struggling to get Crate off the ground and make Grim Dawn a reality.

When I look back at my years at Iron Lore and other prior jobs, I remember some unique experiences but so many of the days just sort of blend together in my head. I was just going through a daily routine and living out my life in a safe, comfortable but rather uninspired manner. The past few years have been incredibly challenging but I feel like I've really lived them and each month has been an adventure. I feel like things are moving in a very good direction now, thanks to everyone who backed us here and the all the early supporters of Grim Dawn. Wherever this road takes me, I'm glad I decided to embark upon this journey.

For a long time I've personally been a little afraid to fully pull back the curtain and let people see more of the modest reality of our situation. It can be intimidating working in the same arena with giants like Blizzard and legendary guys like Max Schaefer when you're just some guys working out of offices in your homes. It has been an amazing experience though to be able to share this epic adventure with all of you and to see how incredibly positive and encouraging you have all been. I really have a renewed sense of confidence as a result.

The Kickstarter leg of the journey is coming to an end though. We're heading into the final week and I know we all want to do our best to make sure we have a strong showing before the clock runs out. There is still so much we could do with extra funding and you've all been asking to see some more clearly defined stretchy goals. Below are some specific things we can commit to delivering at various levels. Along with these specific goals, we'd also be incrementally expanding the general content. While you look through them, here's some new music for you too. ; )
$350k
Dual wielding pistols (feature tech and new animation set)
$360k
25 extra pieces of unique item art
$375k
Additional end-game boss monster (total of 2) lurking somewhere out there in the darkness for you to find...
$385k
25 more pieces of unique item art
$400k
A new environment set that you'll get to decide on. We'll create a thread on the Grim Dawn forums to discuss ideas with fans, then select the best ideas and create a poll for you to vote the one you want most.
$412k
2 additional monster types (models and animations)
$425k
Three large, high-level dungeons, each with its own theme and named hero monster. The dungeon entrances will randomly appear in the world.
$450k
Savage two-handed melee weapons (includes animations and all the art required to create an entirely new item type)
$465
Additional end-game boss (total of 3) to encounter in some dark and dangerous corner of the world.
$480k
New survivor town hidden in the remote wilderness for you to discover. Will include a new faction group and new quest-lines to unlock once you've gained their trust.

Fou-Lu

Just looked at this again, after listening to the couple of songs they've posted up I am so fucking hyped. I already wanted this game as a HUGE Titan Quest fan. And then I watched the new bit of gameplay and was reminded how beautiful this game is. I really wish I could pledge more than I am able to.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It will probably start hitting the stretch goals tomorrow. Little over $7000 to 350k, doesn't seem like they really increased interest or donations though.

Maybe they'll start pouring in over the last couple days, but 480k doesn't seem likely to me. I'm guessing it will easily break 400k though, probably around 450k.

They're already planning to follow it up with an expansion IIRC, so I kind of wonder if anything in the stretch goals they don't hit will end up in the expansion anyway.

Draft

Am I crazy, or did the setting of this game change considerably since it was first announced? I remember Grim Dawn having a sort of Hellgate: London post apocalyptic demonic invasion thing going on when it was first announced. Now it looks like the dark ages or something.

guess they get their extra 100k from that guy now huh? :)

i pledged $50 a long time ago before they even did the kickstarter thing. just wanted boxed + dlc + name in credits. might give them more just for funsies. the gameplay videos look sooooo gooooood.

i do have a small fear that it's going to take longer to finish now because they have money + lofty goals that they may not have had prior to being kickstarted.

Am I crazy, or did the setting of this game change considerably since it was first announced? I remember Grim Dawn having a sort of Hellgate: London post apocalyptic demonic invasion thing going on when it was first announced. Now it looks like the dark ages or something.

Since it was announced it was always very much a bunch of marsh-lands.

ZoddGutts

New update has new tiers and new gameplay melee vid:

$45 Early Access Edition + Expansion is everything from the $35 tier, including beta access, plus our first expansion (which will be developed after release).

$58 Digital Collector's + Expansion is everything from the $50 tier, including alpha / beta access, plus our first expansion (which will be developed after release).

Hopefully that should satisfy a lot of people who only wanted a single, early-access copy but also wanted the expansion. While I'm sure there are still more combinations people might want, we really have to stop here as the rewards are going off the page and people are getting confused. I think this is as close as we're going to get on Kickstarter to making most everyone happy. ; )

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn/posts

Bebpo

Banned

Yeah, I was under the impression the game was Fallout Diablo when it was announced.

Videos look a bit different than what I expected. Still looks good, but I thought the idea of a post-apocayptic wasteland gun based diablo would have been pretty cool.

Yeah, I was under the impression the game was Fallout Diablo when it was announced.

Videos look a bit different than what I expected. Still looks good, but I thought the idea of a post-apocayptic wasteland gun based diablo would have been pretty cool.

Man, I didn't even bother watching the newer vids, I'm just learning of this now.

I'm actually disappointed :(

ZoddGutts

They've sad they have gone with a gritty Victorian art style. Path of Exile has more of a Fallout look, though it isn't exactly a great looker.

Game was never Fallout style. Post apocalypse doesn't mean post nuclear war, desert wasteland.

Grim Dawn is and was planned as a fantasy setting with a Victorian inspired look and level of tech. There are guns, but Victorian era ones, not miniguns or rocket launchers.

There was an apocalypse, an invasion of demons/dark magic nasty things, and most of humanity has been wiped out, with just some pockets left holding out.

The "medieval" looking character was a melee focused one. The other characters shown were clearly wearing Victorian era inspired clothing. The melee guy is armored up, because to go into close quarters combat with demons and zombies, you will probably want to have on more sturdy armor than a powdered wig and top coat.

Card Boy

Banned
422k with 36hrs left. I say 450k is possible with the last minute rush. Not sure about 480K it's doable but cutting it very fine.

Patryn

Finally cracked and backed the KS. I had been holding off because I pre-ordered the legendary edition on their web site last year, but I decided to just say screw it and went with the tier that included access to the expansion. So I now have two copies, I guess?

matmanx1

I'm still at the $35 tier but may increase that tomorrow if they are close to the 450k goal because I really want 2h weapons in the game. And access to the Alpha wouldn't hurt either, actually. Glad to see this one doing well.

Top Bottom