• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimm Season 4 |OT| Fridays 9/8c - A Dish Best Served Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

grimm_banner.jpg

Season 4 Preview:

http://youtu.be/eQNg2HRXw_A

What's Grimm about?

Portland detective, Nick Burkhardt, has seen some gruesome crime scenes, but nothing prepares him for the strange visions he begins seeing: seemingly regular people momentarily transforming into hideous monsters. A visit from his only living relative reveals the truth. Nick has inherited the ability to see supernatural creatures, and as a "Grimm," he is tasked with keeping the balance between mankind and the mythological. A reformed "Big Bad Wolf" becomes his greatest (and also reluctant) ally and confidant. It's not long before his work as a policeman leads Nick to the criminals he once thought were only found in fairy tales.

The Cast:

Grimm-Cast.jpg

Grimm Season 4 Artwork:

NUP_165024_0001-700x400.jpg

For more details on Grimm including, cast list, comics, episode details and more, see the Wikipedia page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm_(TV_series)

Spoiler Policy:

Spoilers regarding upcoming episodes must remain tagged until after it airs in the US. Tags-free after the episode airs.

Final Thoughts:

Not the most exciting official thread but let's face it, Grimm isn't exactly the most popular show. While not perfect I do find the show fun to watch and hope to have some conversations with the rest of you in regards to season 4 and it's nice to finally have an official thread in which to do so.

For those who have yet to watch this show, I would definitely at least recommend checking it out. It's a simple fun and sometimes campy ride well worth the price of admission. I would say it combines elements from shows like Buffy and Supernatural. You can catch up on the show on Netflix as well as purchase season 1-3 on DVD and Blu-Ray. Each season consists of 22 episodes.

[Officially Renewed For A Season 5]

wildfire

Banned
Honestly I'm surprised they killed off a main character. Renard should've called someone else to do the job and this entire mess would've been avoided. Will they dare try having Nick not be a Grimm for half the season?

Kevin

Honestly I'm surprised they killed off a main character. Renard should've called someone else to do the job and this entire mess would've been avoided. Will they dare try having Nick not be a Grimm for half the season?

He's almost certainly not dead for good. They hinted at such.

Hope they end this adaline arc soon and kill off juilette in the process.

Yes please!!!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Trouble has been a good addition, but I hope Nick isn't de-Grimmed for too long. Also, when he eventually gets his Grimm powers back, will he be SuperGrimm again? Will they ever touch on that again?

Kevin

They dropped it pretty early last season and never even mentioned it again which I thought was some really bad writing. You probably won't hear anything more about it ever.

They dropped it pretty early last season and never even mentioned it again which I thought was some really bad writing. You probably won't hear anything more about it ever.

What's interesting is that they did bring back his super hearing ability once. But then they ignored that, too.

Trouble has been a good addition, but I hope Nick isn't de-Grimmed for too long. Also, when he eventually gets his Grimm powers back, will he be SuperGrimm again? Will they ever touch on that again?

Who knows WTF they're doing, it was one of the many things that bugged me about last season... I also really want Adalind to die quickly this season, she should've been written out in season 2.

Kevin

Pretty much most regular people want Adalind to die except for those who watch tv for cheap drama. Unfortunately the writers and producers have ALL expressed their affection for Adalind in the interviews they have done. Apparently she is a favorite with the writing team so I don't think she is going anywhere.

When the show was first announced, my hype was pretty high as it looked like the kind of show I wanted to see (I love supernatural dramas that are well done). When it aired, I thought to myself, this show has such an interesting premise and so much potential. Can't wait to see what they do with it. As the show went on I watched as the interesting mythology slowly took a back seat to some of the cheapest drama and writing on tv. Such a huge waste. This show is popcorn tv for me now. I'll keep watching and I do still enjoy some of the creatures and the tiny bits and pieces of Grimm mythology that we do get. Like many shows, I keep watching with the hope that it will get better.

DJ_Lae

I fucking hate Adalind. Her character is annoying and the actress playing her is terrible.

She makes Juliette look amazing in comparison.

However, I will take all the Bree Turner I can get. Yes please.

Show's not great but I still love watching it. It entertains me.

Pretty much most regular people want Adalind to die except for those who watch tv for cheap drama. Unfortunately the writers and producers have ALL expressed their affection for Adalind in the interviews they have done. Apparently she is a favorite with the writing team so I don't think she is going anywhere.

When the show was first announced, my hype was pretty high as it looked like the kind of show I wanted to see (I love supernatural dramas that are well done). When it aired, I thought to myself, this show has such an interesting premise and so much potential. Can't wait to see what they do with it. As the show went on I watched as the interesting mythology slowly took a back seat to some of the cheapest drama and writing on tv. Such a huge waste. This show is popcorn tv for me now. I'll keep watching and I do still enjoy some of the creatures and the tiny bits and pieces of Grimm mythology that we do get. Like many shows, I keep watching with the hope that it will get better.

Pretty much, I've seen their talk of the character and it's like... "Really?!" And yeah the cheap drama really dragged this show down, I thought season was the worst because of it. It goes online with my strong dislike of shipping and especially when the show starts pandering to it.

Kevin

The sad reality? Most people that watch the show PREFER the cheap drama and love stories, etc. Check out the comments of fans on websites, twitter, facebook, etc. Casuals are eating up the bad drama crap. They love it!

The sad reality? Most people that watch the show PREFER the cheap drama and love stories, etc. Check out the comments of fans on websites, twitter, facebook, etc. Casuals are eating up the bad drama crap. They love it!

I know, I've seen it. :( They like, shippers think they make up like 90% of the audience.

Trouble has been a good addition,

Ohh god no. She's been terrible, one of the worst additions to the show. Her character is so cliched, she actively brings down the show with each episode shes in. Shes an awful, awful character and not anything I want out of this show.

wildfire

Banned
Her name is corny but the character isn't. It was necessary to show off a Grimm not being part of Nick's bloodline in the first place.

Last season, she was filling a cliche role of the apprentice who gives the former one a chance of being the master and thus the master learns more about himself. Now though, with the removal of his powers; we can step into possibly new territory.

They could use this time to set up Nick relearning how to solve problems without having his Grimm powers to easily suss out the Wessen so when he does gain his powers he can be given opponents who are much more in control of voguing out.

In addition, this is the best time to have Nick be challenged by a major criminal who is actually human instead of a Wessen in disguise. This way the show can play some mindgames with us when he does get his powers back.

Lastly this would be a good opportunity to explore how being a Grimm is genetical and magical and what are the distinctions between themselves, Wessen and actual human beings.

Her name is corny but the character isn't. It was necessary to show off a Grimm not being part of Nick's bloodline in the first place.

No her character is corny too. She's a walking cliche, her name is Truble, and she's a troubled run away from the wrong side of the tracks. She's got a hard time trusting anyone, but I bet she's got a heart of gold. It's unoriginal, and boring. There are plenty of ways to show off a Grimm that isn't in Nick's bloodline, with out resorting to a boring cliched character that drags the show down.

Last season, she was filling a cliche role of the apprentice who gives the former one a chance of being the master and thus the master learns more about himself. Now though, with the removal of his powers; we can step into possibly new territory.

I don't want to go into that territory. I like Nick, I like Nick as a Grimm. Nick as a Grimm is what made tune into the pilot and kept me watching through 3 seasons. This is not territory I feel like going through.

They could use this time to set up Nick relearning how to solve problems without having his Grimm powers to easily suss out the Wessen so when he does gain his powers he can be given opponents who are much more in control of voguing out.

There are ways they could have accomplished this with out him loosing his powers, and with out introducing a cliched boring character to facilitate it.

In addition, this is the best time to have Nick be challenged by a major criminal who is actually human instead of a Wessen in disguise. This way the show can play some mindgames with us when he does get his powers back.

Lastly this would be a good opportunity to explore how being a Grimm is genetical and magical and what are the distinctions between themselves, Wessen and actual human beings.

All of these things can be accomplished with out Nick loosing his powers, or with out Truble being a part of the cast. Right now Nick loosing his powers feels like Juliette losing her memory 2.0, and this is coming only a season after that.

The show has really begun to turn away from the things that made Season 1 so good, and made myself and I'm sure plenty of others fans of it.

Kevin

Grimm tonight was alright. Not awesome, not bad. About on par with the season 4 premiere. Not much more to say then that. So what did you guys think?

Episode 3 trailer:

http://youtu.be/lqMogs8IR8g

Looks like Nick won't be getting his powers back for awhile. I hope it doesn't take all season.

ganon

*sighs* Too many Truble screen time for me, still not liking her at all, and I hate Juliette even more now, she's acting all bitchy and blaming Nick.

HeySeuss

Yeah I don't like Trubel either. Captains mom is just angling to find the baby to use as a bargaining chip. She'll help Nick get his powers back tho but she's playing the long con.

I hope whatever squidward was after is important enough to come back up again but its prolly not going to. Would be nice if they introduce a second tier villain for the season.

And Juliet's eye drifts a little farther to the side every season.

Grimm S4 Ep2

"Hey guys, we're not sure we want the cure, so you should probably stop looking for it. I mean, we could just not take it if we decide we don't want it. This seems like an incredibly important piece of knowledge that someone in the group should probably have, even if only for the sake of others, regardless of whether we decide we need it or not. But you should definitely stop looking."

I feel like there's absolutely room in the show for the 'spouse of protagonist' and 'student of protagonist' slots, but then the writers keep doing stuff like this.

Trubel is all derp derp derp... But it looks like she got some therapy from Mr. Memory Sucker. I've never been on the Juliette hate bandwagon but that along with her reaction to Nick being basically raped like she did with Hank (though I guess she isn't that mad at Nick but still) might've put me on it. Now Nick has a mental link with Adalind, yippee! Now what's FBI lady up to?

I'm giving them one more episode. The show just isn't going where I want it to, and it looks like we're going to spend an entire season with Nick powerless, no thanks.

HeySeuss

FBI chick trying to recruit a secret army of Grimms? Maybe a fight club or something. It seems like a dumb storyline honestly. I hope Nick gets his powers back soon as this is getting drawn out too long.

Kevin

Episode was alright this week but the "Nick without his powers" storyline is already turning me off of the show and it looks like next episode there will be yet another "delay" with him getting his powers back. Really annoying and lame!

Trailer for next week's episode:

http://youtu.be/I2si-B03RZs

The creature looks pretty cool in this IMO but yeah as you can see it looks like
Adalind will once again mess things up for Nick and Co.
. I hope I'm wrong as this is getting lame.

Ugh more
Adalind

Trubel is Grimm's Poochy and I hope that storyline results in her leaving the show/going back to her home planet.

Kevin

So anyone else really disappointed in the direction this show decided to go in after so much potential early on?

This show when first announced, had me so excited. Early on I thought it wasn't perfect but the mythology was super fun and interesting and most of the MOTW episodes were a lot of fun.

The show never delivered, never went from good to great and I think it's really starting to lower in quality. There is nearly no mythology anymore and so far even the MOTW cases lately have not been very good and lack imagination.

I went from super excited about this show to barely wanting to tune in week after week and that's a damn shame. I just about hate every story direction they are doing these days. I don't expect it to get any better either and yet I'm still watching with the small hope that it will just get better and more interesting.

Such a waste! :/

P.S: Please kill off Adalind and the other annoying "drama" characters.

So anyone else really disappointed in the direction this show decided to go in after so much potential early on?

This show when first announced, had me so excited. Early on I thought it wasn't perfect but the mythology was super fun and interesting and most of the MOTW episodes were a lot of fun.

The show never delivered, never went from good to great and I think it's really starting to lower in quality. There is nearly no mythology anymore and so far even the MOTW cases lately have not been very good and lack imagination.

I went from super excited about this show to barely wanting to tune in week after week and that's a damn shame. I just about hate every story direction they are doing these days. I don't expect it to get any better either and yet I'm still watching with the small hope that it will just get better and more interesting.

Such a waste! :/

P.S: Please kill off Adalind and the other annoying "drama" characters.

Yes.

While I always thought the "key" plot was mediocre (plot coupons are difficult to do well), I liked the worldbuilding they did tons of in the beginning, especially with how Nick himself was largely a mystery. It was a reversal of how these stories often work in that the <monsters> were known, with almost complete bestiaries and everything, but the <monster hunters> were largely a mystery because they're so few and nobody "watches the watchmen" in this universe. There was some exploration of that with the weird supplementary abilities Nick developed, but the writers never followed up on any of it.

Trubel and Juliette don't bother me nearly as much as a lot of people on here. I absolutely think there's room for the <protagonist's spouse> and <protagonist's student> slots on the show, but the writers don't seem to know how to actually handle them well. I wouldn't be too upset if they were killed off, but I'd rather the writing shape up--not that I expect that to ever happen in this area.

Adalind is an awful villain and should have been removed in the first season. I don't know why the writers like her so much.

This show has turned into one of those where I like the premise, dislike most of the execution, and keep watching in the faint hope it shapes up, even though I expect it never will.

Kevin

Your last line summed up things perfectly. I hardly want to even keep watching anymore. In fact going back to early season one episodes, the episodes felt more "atmospheric" and "creepy". Now it's just kind of lacking atmosphere and character. Oh well!

Bessy67

The creature looks pretty cool in this IMO but yeah as you can see it looks like
Adalind will once again mess things up for Nick and Co.
. I hope I'm wrong as this is getting lame.

I think there's a decent chance that's
Rinard's mom after figuring out Adalind's spell, not Adalind
. At least I hope so.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
No her character is corny too. She's a walking cliche, her name is Truble, and she's a troubled run away from the wrong side of the tracks. She's got a hard time trusting anyone, but I bet she's got a heart of gold. It's unoriginal, and boring. There are plenty of ways to show off a Grimm that isn't in Nick's bloodline, with out resorting to a boring cliched character that drags the show down.

I don't want to go into that territory. I like Nick, I like Nick as a Grimm. Nick as a Grimm is what made tune into the pilot and kept me watching through 3 seasons. This is not territory I feel like going through.

There are ways they could have accomplished this with out him loosing his powers, and with out introducing a cliched boring character to facilitate it.

All of these things can be accomplished with out Nick loosing his powers, or with out Truble being a part of the cast. Right now Nick loosing his powers feels like Juliette losing her memory 2.0, and this is coming only a season after that.

The show has really begun to turn away from the things that made Season 1 so good, and made myself and I'm sure plenty of others fans of it.

This guy knows exactly what the fuck is up.

Truble is the most fucking ridiculous character i've seen in almost any new show for the past 3 or 4 years. So cliched and stupid. Those final few episodes - on top of being a fucking slog like 50% of the time - were entirely too predictable almost entirely because of her character. Such a waste of time she is.

And the real sore spot... the absolute WORST fucking decision the show has made - taking away Nick's powers. Why in the FUCK would you do this? You don't have to neuter your main character just to explore "new" ideas. How about you write better and stray from you very formulaic episode design without cutting your own characters to pieces. I watch this show because Nick is a fuckin death dealing ass kicking boogeyman to other fucking boogeymen. I was hyping myself up for Nick to gain a better grasp of his "zombie" powers, start actually utilizing them on purpose instead of almost exclusively on accident and perhaps even open up some deeper and more complicated aspects of his Grimm powers.
Instead I got a shitty replacement Grimm girl who i couldn't stand 10 minutes into her introduction. If they wanted to focus on a different Grimm or a female Grimm they should have stuck to Nick's mom and the baby. That could have been some Lone Wolf and Cub level badass shit and instead we get emo cry about chic who instantly takes to the idea of being a supernatural monster hunter. Just so dumb.

He needs his powers back asap and she needs to decide to break out on her own and go to California or something so she can gtfo of my show. Also kill Juliette and 10x more Monroe.

Bessy67

I figured out the perfect scenario for the show. Trubel dies a horrible death and whoever kills her sends her head to Nick in a box (much like he did with the two reapers in a previous season). Nick then transplants her eyes in order to obtain the mangekyou sharingan grimm powers.

Kevin

I'm going to keep watching but I feel like the showrunners decided to write the stories lighter and more drama filled because of the "housewives" crowd that apparently makes up a lot of the fanbase for this show (judging by facebook, etc comments). I don't expect the show to recover as a result of this.

I was sort of ok with Trubel until I learned that she was brought in to be Nick's crutch. Adalind I hated from day one. I was ok with Juliette but the drama there killed her character.

I just don't care about Adalind, the incredibly slow paced Royals story that is going absolutely nowhere in more then 3 seasons, etc. I cared about the Grimm stuff, Nick's mom, the keys, Grimm mythology, etc. All of which seemingly disappeared without a trace like Nick's zombie powers. Not many shows downright disappoint me but this show has.

Please let Nick get his damn powers back soon and move forward from the Adalind drama so we can focus on something new! Don't waste a whole season on these terrible plots (like Juliette losing her memories from Adalind).

Even the worse seasons of Supernatural have been more compelling...

Yep. I more interested in the Royals and the Keys and such. Like how has all this been existing for so long? These beats? What do the Royals actual control? How did they get and maintain power? What about ghese non European Wessen? What about those who know of their existance? The shine he worn off Juliet's beauty.......

finowns

I don't mind Trubel, but I don't feel she is really adding anything to the show. These really drawn out plots are soo boring. Let Nick be the badass he is!

Kevin

I stopped watching this after season 1, is it still worth picking up again?

Season 2 is probably on par with one but did introduce more mythology. Season 3 started fairly strong and he started to fizzle out in the end as the show refocused on cheap drama and less mythology or scares. Season 4 is continuing this new trend making the show feel cheap and pretty boring. I'm seriously not interested in any of the current story arcs as they all focus on Adalind one way or the other. None on mythology or world building.

Kevin

I liked this week's episode slightly better I guess. They make it look like Nick could get his powers back next episode but I really doubt that he does. Some people are speculating that he may not get his powers back until mid-season break and I really hope that isn't the case.

Trailer for next week's episode makes it look like he could get his powers back next week:

http://youtu.be/HW0JbcBusEg

Let's hope that is actually happens!

I liked this week's episode slightly better I guess. They make it look like Nick could get his powers back next episode but I really doubt that he does. Some people are speculating that he may not get his powers back until mid-season break and I really hope that isn't the case.

Trailer for next week's episode makes it look like he could get his powers back next week:

http://youtu.be/HW0JbcBusEg

Let's hope that is actually happens!

I just want to say thank you for posting the teasers in the thread. The channel I watch on doesn't air them.

Gah, what a waste.

Why in god's name would you take the best thing about the show, the main character Nick, tease you with awesome stuff like his heightened hearing and super Hulked up "Zombie" Grimm mode and take it all away for another random girl to introduced as a crutch "Grimm". They easily could have upped the stakes with Nick's powers introducing more formidable enemies than ever before.

Even if they did take his powers away....the idea Nick might lose his powers seemed interesting as a short obstacle to overcome and a play on how he would fight evil Wessen without them for a bit, but when you realized it was just to introduce some random character as a Grim....ugh.

I think I'm going to hold out this season and just marathon them like the last 2 seasons I did on amazon.

Kevin

Yeah they really are making all of the wrong choices lately in terms of storytelling. Not sure what happened on the writing team but the show went from promising to crap very quick.

In more potentially positive news it sounds like Trubel is leaving in this year's Christmas episode (speculation) which would potentially mean that Nick is cured by then as well. Episode description:

"THE GRIMM WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS"

12/05/2014 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Friday) : CHRISTMAS CHEER COMES TO A HALT WHEN A MENACING THREAT INVADES PORTLAND – JACQUELINE TOBONI GUEST STARS -- Nick (David Giuntoli) and Hank (Russell Hornsby) are called to investigate a bizarre string of home invasions that lead to an even stranger Wesen phenomena. Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) has a very special Christmas surprise in store for Rosalee (Bree Turner). Meanwhile, Truble (guest star Jacqueline Toboni) comes to a life changing realization that will affect everyone. Bitsie Tulloch, Sasha Roiz and Reggie Lee also star.

TV-PG V

I'm guessing by the cryptic words here but my guess is not only is Nick cured but that Trubel learns something that gets her to leave. Certainly sounds like that. Seems like we only need to hold on for just a little longer. :)

HeySeuss

Looks like next week is finally the week he gets his powers back. Plus it looked like they won't abandon the zombie power stuff he was starting to learn.

About time too as I'm losing interest in the show.

Was anyone else hoping that one of the doors Adalind went through lead to a spiked pit? That shit felt even more out of place with the episode than last week.

Yeah it looks like things might be picking up and that Nick will get his powers back next episode. I really hope so. Actually next week's episode looks potentially good:

http://youtu.be/Ku-KWsPgcG4

From the look of it is
zombie strength
coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom