• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Groose is Ganondorf"

This was my thinking all along playing the game. You knew that at the end of it all, something would bind three characters to the triforce and become eternal, it just made sense to have those three characters be the ones you introduce the story with.

He has red hair, he's a bully (initially), his name shares many letter with Ganondorf and he's got a muscular build. Considering his arc towards redeeming himself as a good guy, it would've been pretty tragic but interesting if he became corrupted and altered when trying to save Zelda and Link; connected to the triforce of power, a slave of chaos and evil.

It would've given some gravitas and weight to Ganondorf as a character. More tragic than comically evil.

Zombine

Banned
groose.jpg

Chinbo37

Groose is a great character. Its not often the Zelda series introduces a new character that i actually care about.

richd_3

Could've been a really interesting take, but Ganondorf already has a pretty complete backstory (including SS's own Demise connection).

I thought he could have been at first until he increasingly became more and more stupid as the game progressed.
I'm certainly glad he wasn't Ganondorf though, that's for sure.

Luigi87

Groose isn't Ganondorf, however I have always believed since playing the game that Ganondorf is an unfortunate descendant of Groose corrupted by the curse... Contributed to being a surrogate child to Twinrova.

Nemesis_

I was thinking it too since the characters in Zelda share such similar motifs. Zelda always has elements of white and pink for example.

But yeah I'm glad they didn't. Personally it would've made little sense and made for more of a surprise during that moment in the Imprisoned battle.

I also don't want Nintendo ruining evil characters by making them "tragic"

StayDead

I thought he could have been at first until he increasingly became more and more stupid as the game progressed.
I'm certainly glad he wasn't Ganondorf though, that's for sure.

I'd argue the opposite. Yeah he showed he was actually a coward in the middle of the game, but he really did help near the end and he used his smarts to build that cool as hell catapult while helping out the other character. He did what he could to try and help and that's far from being stupid. If anything he matured as a character.

Forkball

I remember when I first started playing Skyward Sword I thought, "Ugh, I have to put up with this stereotypical bully all game."

Turns out he was the best character.

gaming_noob

Someone on Neogaf said he was Gannondorf before I played the game and during my playthrough i was expecting somethibg to happen. I couldnt trust the player even at the end. Ruined the experience for me...

120v

ha... yeah i thought he may end up being gannon too. but i soon realized he was a comic relief character and the thought left my head

honestly, something like that probably would've been more interesting. having Demise end up being gannon was sort of lame, as you could already deduce ganon originated from some vague DARK POWER with vague motivations of DESTRUCTION, CHAOS, ect

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Thank God this didn't actually happen. Groose is the worst character in the series, and to have that pathetic wretch be the "origin" of Ganondorf would have ruined Ganondorf as a villain.

This was my thinking all along playing the game. You knew that at the end of it all, something would bind three characters to the triforce and become eternal, it just made sense to have those three characters be the ones you introduce the story with.

He has red hair, he's a bully (initially), his name shares many letter with Ganondorf and he's got a muscular build. Considering his arc towards redeeming himself as a good guy, it would've been pretty tragic but interesting if he became corrupted and altered when trying to save Zelda and Link; connected to the triforce of power, a slave of chaos and evil.

It would've given some gravitas and weight to Ganondorf as a character. More tragic than comically evil.
I remember hoping for him to become Ganondorf in a tragic way, like absorbing Demise to save Zelda or things like that. Instead he just shoots things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Groose is loose.

Luigi87

I also don't get why people thought he would turn into Ganondorf. Skyward Sword takes place ages before Ocarina of Time, and Ganondorf grew up in the Gerudo desert, raised by Twinrova (I assume that is what is implied by her being surrogate mother) , etc.

I thought he may be an ancestor of ganondorf, but Ocarina of time literally takes place hundreds, if not thousands of years later and there's only one ganondorf who was born relatively close to when the game began.

Screw that. My pick for an unlikely Ganondorf is the Happy Mask Salesman (the HMS). Obviously, I started off with the red hair, just as the OP did for Groose, but I like to believe that the HMS was a persona adopted by Ganondorf to infiltrate Hyrule and better understand how to take it down. He is of course trapping souls in masks the whole time.

After being sealed away in the Sacred Realm at the end OoT, Majora's Mask -- which possesses, a will of its own, much like the One Ring -- is able to break free of Ganondorf's magic and make its way into Termina to get revenge on him for being imprisoned. Turns out, Termina is the Sacred Realm, much like the Dark World in ALttP is the Sacred Realm, only instead of Ganondorf fucking shit up, this time it's Majora. Ganondorf, in his weakened state, once again assumes the guise of the HMS to avoid Majora's wrath -- HA!

Fortunately for Ganondorf, Link manages to find a way into Termina via the Lost Woods -- because why wouldn't they be a shortcut to the Sacred Realm when they're a shortcut to everything else -- and teaches Link the so-called Song of Healing -- which is really a song of necromancy, because when you play young-people music like Saria's Song backward, it's the sound of Satan -- so that Link will defeat Majora For him.

When you see
the Happy Mask children on the moon, that's because Majora's finally tracked down Ganondorf -- why else would you need a pair of eyes in the sky, steadily zooming in the landscape -- and fractured his power, sealing it with each of the boss masks for some sweet poetic justice.

I like this theory because it also means that Link is a lawful good necromancer, and who doesn't want that? How do I explain away the plot details about the relationship between the Skull Kid and the Giants? Well, I don't. I'm not that good.

Groose is a great character. Its not often the Zelda series introduces a new character that i actually care about.

i dont know the above seem much more memorable than groose
Screw that. My pick for an unlikely Ganondorf is the Happy Mask Salesman (the HMS). Obviously, I started off with the red hair, just as the OP did for Groose, but I like to believe that the HMS was a persona adopted by Ganondorf to infiltrate Hyrule and better understand how to take it down. He is of course trapping souls in masks the whole time.

After being sealed away in the Sacred Realm at the end OoT, Majora's Mask -- which possesses, a will of its own, much like the One Ring -- is able to break free of Ganondorf's magic and make its way into Termina to get revenge on him for being imprisoned. Turns out, Termina is the Sacred Realm, much like the Dark World in ALttP is the Sacred Realm, only instead of Ganondorf fucking shit up, this time it's Majora. Ganondorf, in his weakened state, once again assumes the guise of the HMS to avoid Majora's wrath -- HA!

Fortunately for Ganondorf, Link manages to find a way into Termina via the Lost Woods -- because why wouldn't they be a shortcut to the Sacred Realm when they're a shortcut to everything else -- and teaches Link the so-called Song of Healing -- which is really a song of necromancy, because when you play young-people music like Saria's Song backward, it's the sound of Satan -- so that Link will defeat Majora For him.

When you see
the Happy Mask children on the moon, that's because Majora's finally tracked down Ganondorf -- why else would you need a pair of eyes in the sky, steadily zooming in the landscape -- and fractured his power, sealing it with each of the boss masks for some sweet poetic justice.

I like this theory because it also means that Link is a lawful good necromancer, and who doesn't want that? How do I explain away the plot details about the relationship between the Skull Kid and the Giants? Well, I don't. I'm not that good.
but that guy exists in OoT

Maybe it was initially the plan, but they decided to drop it as development went on and went for demise instead. I mean at the start he resent Link because he is jealous of his relationship with Zelda. He wants Zelda. Pretty easy to go from there into a villain.

Groose could be a distant ancestor of Ganondorf and the Gerudo, whose bloodline bears the brunt of the Demise curse. I did think it was somewhat suspicious that he was one of the three Skylofters to actually get involved with the Triforce plot in Skyward Sword.

The ending already makes Ganondorf tragic. It makes him as much of a pawn in the endless cycle as Zelda and Link are.

Weeeelllll, at the beginning of the game you feel like Groose is going to turn evil. Like from jealous bully to actual villain. I was surprised he ended up being a friendly nice fella that helps you along. He was a funny side-character and I think his role was really nice. If he did become a villain it would be.... eh.. kind cheesy and predictable I guess. I think he was actually designed to always be looked down upon, even during his friendliness mid-game, like you suspect he could turn against you but towards the end his sincerity becomes more obvious.

I guess you could say he was a...

Red HAIRing! Hahahaha

Exactly.

Top Bottom