• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grubb/EvilBoris: Xbox Auto HDR is one of nextgen's coolest features

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The real question is if the tech will work with next-gen titles? It's cool for current-gen BC games that didn't have it implemented, so the whole majority, but what about the upcoming games? I think it's naive to think that from this generation onward all of a sudden every title will have implemented (proper) HDR...

Id have to assume it's at an OS level meaning any game that doesn't have HDR will use the technique. I have a feeling part of the inspiration, but I will stress very small, of this was to lure some smaller games/devs to their platform by taking out having to adapt your engine and games to HDR.

Mmnow

Id have to assume it's at an OS level meaning any game that doesn't have HDR will use the technique. I have a feeling part of the inspiration, but I will stress very small, of this was to lure some smaller games/devs to their platform by taking out having to adapt your engine and games to HDR.
I hadn't thought of this, and it's a great idea.

I guess the cynical flipside of that is that bigger developers could just not bother to do their own HDR properly if they knew they had this to fall back on, but I can't imagine that being a big problem.

Pantz

This is rad. When they first announced this it sounded like it would only be for select titles, now it's only select that won't use it.

MarkMe2525

Too bad it won't fix HDR for the game that needs it the most as in RDR2.

I wonder how it compares with some of the HDR conversion modes in recent TVs. I know Samsung has some low latency processing.
I was hoping (wishing) you could apply autoHDR to RDR2 SDR output. 100% it will not let us, but a man can dream right?

Kydd BlaZe

I got an HDR high end tv to see what the fuss about HDR was about. I don't even see the difference.

Or at least I don't know what I'm looking for.
What TV do you have and what games are you playing?

Because HDR makes an entire world of a difference, IMO. You should be able to instantly see the difference.

Not all games are HDR enabled, and some TVs don’t have proper HDR capabilities. It could also come down to the settings/mode you’re using on your TV. There are a ton of factors, and there is no standard for HDR unfortunately. So the experience is going to vary from game to game/tv to tv.

HarryKS

What TV do you have and what games are you playing?

Because HDR makes an entire world of a difference, IMO. You should be able to instantly see the difference.

Not all games are HDR enabled, and some TVs don’t have proper HDR capabilities. It could also come down to the settings/mode you’re using on your TV. There are a ton of factors, and there is no standard for HDR unfortunately. So the experience is going to vary from game to game/tv to tv.

The new Bravia 950 and currently finishing Borderlands 3. I tried HDR on Netflix and Amazon and I have a non-hdr 4k set in the other room and I genuinely can't tell. Then again, I don't have them next to each other.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
XSX definitely stands out as a great machine to play current/previous gen games, but MS will have to up their game and include some next gen gameplay in these previews, cause so far they are lacking.
For me this is the best thing MS are doing. I bought most my 360/PS3 games on PS3, bit now I'm all digital I've been gradually rebuying a lot of the classics on Xbox because of their excellent BC support.

At launch the thing I'm most excited about is checking out if I can play games like Bully at 4K/60fps.

This is an awesome feature, no ifs or buts.

Currently playing MGS4 through PS Now and it's painful. Shocking resolution. I'd kill to play it with these kinds of enhancements.

Can't wait to experiment with it next month.

"Huh, let's see what's on Neogaf today. Oh, a Xbox thread. That pisses me off, but at least the good ol' boys will be putting those xbots in their pl-

"No, this is a positive thread. NO GAMES. XBOX HAS NO GAMES.

"Phew. Another thread improved!"
Rememeber, it's Xbox fans that need to stop bullying Neogaf users.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just about everything post 2017, this is more for games that fall before that timeframe. Imagine bloodborne with HDR for example.

Dont give me Hopes man.
One has to admit, MS have gone above and beyond as far as system features and backwards compatibility are concerned. HDR makes everything much better looking and this is an amazing feature.
Sony, on the other hand, the less said the better.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The new Bravia 950 and currently finishing Borderlands 3. I tried HDR on Netflix and Amazon and I have a non-hdr 4k set in the other room and I genuinely can't tell. Then again, I don't have them next to each other.
Are your HDR settings calibrated properly? I've always found that HDR is far more impressive than 4K, but it can be an utter annoyance to properly calibrate and have talked to a few people who were unimpressed, only to realize that they hadn't tweaked the settings.

Kydd BlaZe

The HDR in Borderlands is kinda mediocre. Not really the best example of what great HDR looks like. Something like Ghosts of Tsushima, Gears 5, Horizon Zero Dawn are some true standouts IMO.

GloveSlap

I was skeptical at first, so i'm glad to see its actual HDR...or at least the closest thing possible when something wasn't developed with HDR in mind from the start.

BabyYoda

Banned
Nuts & Bolts looks amazing, still don't understand why BK hasn't been revived yet
I don't care what people said about that game, I loved it and I'd love to see a sequel. A more traditional sequel would be cool as well mind. Although Microsoft are improving, they have really wasted their ip's for the most part.

KAL2006

Banned
But will it work on gtav? That game has been seriously needing a one x enhancement patch for ages now. No 4k or higher res textures no HDR, for a game that makes them so much money they neglect the ever living hell out of it.

Rockstar already confirmed GTAV coming to next gen systems. Most likely a separate SKU and not just a free patch. Why would they do this simple, people will pay so why not.

FeldMonster

Are your HDR settings calibrated properly? I've always found that HDR is far more impressive than 4K, but it can be an utter annoyance to properly calibrate and have talked to a few people who were unimpressed, only to realize that they hadn't tweaked the settings.
I read the sentiment about HDR being more important than 4K all the time on this site and others, and I have to say, it is a pet peeve of mine. While you can have HDR on a 1080p TV, they are far less common. 4K and HDR are complementary technologies. 4K allows greater pixel precision for the highest brightness objects without washing out large adjacent regions. I think a 1080p HDR TV would suffer in inage quality if placed side by side with a 4K HDR set.

imbrock

Banned
Rockstar already confirmed GTAV coming to next gen systems. Most likely a separate SKU and not just a free patch. Why would they do this simple, people will pay so why not.
Yeah from their presentation, and some comments to investors, it sounds like GTAO is getting a stand alone next gen release and a promise of another ten years of updates. This has me expecting the next gen version to be updated to the GTA6 engine, and will likely come with a bit of a reset for players.

reptilex

Banned
Wow this is amazing and unexpected. While Sony has nothing to show for their future failure, Microsoft is bad at branding and communication so that we don't even know about these incredible features

Warablo

I don't think this is limited to BC games. I think its a setting you can turn on and it uses its auto HDR if the game doesn't have it. BC or next-gen.

Fake

Is this like HDR simulation from Samsung TVs?

I guess will vary between games. IDK if some artistics game will get better.

Rippa

Will this add HDR to Control?

Since the fucks over at Remedy/505 don't believe in updating their game with HDR this would be a cool work-around.

This is fine and all but if they can't get those lower res games fixed up HDR isn't going to make them look any better. Fable 2 looks like crap in motion on the One X, it becomes a blurry mess as do many of the BC titles because they are sub 720p games being upscaled to 4K.

Top Bottom