• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT:HD will be playable at TGS, NOT GT5

Graphics Horse said:
Remember that GT3: A-spec was originally going to be called GT2: A-spec. That's all I'm saying...

GT2000 but that was actually going to be a game, this has never been intended to be one. It was similar though but GT2000 had improved car models while everything else was basically like running GT2 through the PS2's texture smoothing. Here's a comparison

GT2000
ps2_granturismo2000_screen029.jpg

GT3
gt3_0125_screen003.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Zenith said:
did they not realise how poorly received this was at E3?

The poor reception had less to do with the graphic quality of the vehicles/tracks, and more to do with how mind numblingly BORING the presentation was(i.e. how it was put together and what was said). It's not that GT:HD looked BAD... it's that it was a boring ass presentation.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DarienA said:
The poor reception had less to do with the graphic quality of the vehicles/tracks, and more to do with how mind numblingly BORING the presentation was(i.e. how it was put together and what was said). It's not that GT:HD looked BAD... it's that it was a boring ass presentation.

no, it looked bad. the fact that they demoed it for 15 min was boring. underwhelmaton total

The Famitsu article that Gamesport refers to specifically lists the game as "E3-only Demo." It's still not officially planned as an actual release.

_leech_ said:
Maybe it'll be pre-installed on the hard drive, free with every PS3.

Wouldn't that be nice?

If it were a full game wouldn't it take up alot of the harddrive space? GT4 was already like 4+gigs.

SolidSnakex said:
If it were a full game wouldn't it take up alot of the harddrive space? GT4 was already like 4+gigs.

Not if it's the same thing they showed at E3 (four tracks and a handful of cars and bikes).

Raistlin

Guns N' Poops said:
It boggles my mind, that Bizzare Creations made such a gorgeous and almost complete package known as PGR3 in a pretty short time, yet Polyphony waste their time with a GT4 port with some slight to non-existant enhancements und full HD.

I'm guessing it will also have full online as well.

Polyphony is not wasting time at all ... on new HW ... they build a test-engine first, and then use that info to create a new engine for their actual release. Basically, they end up with a 2nd gen engine, but don't usually release an actual game with the first one. Remember GT 2000?

The only difference is they may actually release this one.

BTW - I'm going to guess GT5 will make PGR3 look like a turd (that isn't meant as a dis to Bizzare)

Raistlin

That reminds me ... as before, I'm still calling that Polyphony will release an HD port of GT4 with online.

Sirolf

menu1.jpg

The more i look at this picture the more i think these are real-time 3d models..
Just look at the bike,very impressive but not enough to be a render.
If it's indeed realtime,:O at the Ford GT!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156575.html

Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi spoke about the next Gran Turismo title in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu. There were two points of interest in the article. First, the parenthetical "working title" has been dropped from the name, implying that Gran Turismo HD is indeed the final title. Second, while Yamauchi lavished praise on the game's high-definition graphics, he stated that the game was not the true next-gen heir to the popular racing series' crown.

In the article, Yamauchi called Gran Turismo HD a "port" of the data from Gran Turismo 4, upgraded to take advantage of the PlayStation 3's graphical capabilities. He also said it is "a step in the process of developing a next-generation GT game."

Yamauchi also implied that development on that next-gen game is already underway, albeit at an early stage. "We are working on a version of GT that supports the full PS3 specification," Yamauchi said, adding, "but in this transitional version, I think you'll get a taste of the potential that next generation games hold."

Yamauchi said the idea for the game actually came from an unlikely source, the Photo Mode in GT4, which allowed players to take high resolution stills. "I thought it would be incredible to see these stills animated in real time," he said. Running at 60 frames per second in 1920x1080p resolution, Gran Turismo HD supports the very highest resolutions available to Japan's newest HD televisions, according to Famitsu.

---------

Now shut the hell up already.

GTHD is a port of GT4, as stated from the horse's mouth right to your asshole.

Raistlin

AlphaSnake said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156575.html

In the article, Yamauchi called Gran Turismo HD a "port" of the data from Gran Turismo 4, upgraded to take advantage of the PlayStation 3's graphical capabilities. He also said it is "a step in the process of developing a next-generation GT game."

Ahh ... so it is exactly what I thought it was.

An engine test, just like GT 2000 ... only they will actually release it.

The only remaining question ... and to find out if everything I predicted is correct ... is whether they will use this as an online test as well. I have no doubt that they will do this internally, the question is whether that will actually be one of the features in the released version.

gogogow

gamespot said:
Yamauchi also implied that development on that next-gen game is already underway, albeit at an early stage. "We are working on a version of GT that supports the full PS3 specification," Yamauchi said, adding, "but in this transitional version, I think you'll get a taste of the potential that next generation games hold."

I think this implies that GTHD will indeed be released as a game.

At E3 Kaz said that a GT game will be released shortly after the PS3 is released.
In Famitsu he says that GT5 is at an early stage.
He kinda confirmed it.

All the things he said at the E3 presentation always had lead me to believe that GTHD will be released as a game.

Expect to see this GT again at TGS.

Still, even if they release this GTHD game, at least give it some shader effects: HDR lighting, per pixel lighting, shadowmaps, bumpmaps and more than 12 cars plz and it needs some highres textures.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
so... based on Gamespot's article, does that mean GTHD is indeed coming out in 2007? :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I posted that article just earlier on this page. As I said there I at first read it as a release, but I don't think it's crystal clear, particularly just looking at Yamauchi's comments (none of them are any different from what he's said before about it).

And AndriaSang posted just after that the same Famitsu article lists it specifically as a 'E3-only demo'.

Luckyman

Banned
chespace said:
so... based on Gamespot's article, does that mean GTHD is indeed coming out in 2007? :)

I guess GT2000 was supposed to come out but it never happened. This could be a product just for tradeshows to show a GT-game on PS3.

If it looks like GT4 photomode + online + more cars + 1080p/60FPS then great.

I'd buy it.

But from those (albeit early screens) it doesn't look much like photomode.

I'm not trying to sound like an xbot or anything...but this is basically the same kind of enhanced port that exists for every game on the 360's backwards compatibility list, right? The ones that are all free for owners of the original games?

gogogow

gofreak said:
just looking at Yamauchi's comments (none of them are any different from what he's said before about it).
There are differences.

After E3, (probably after the many were dissapointed seeing GTHD instead of GT5), he wrote an article in Famitsu, saying that he created that GTHD demo ONLY for the E3 show, because Ken personally asked him to show some GT at the pressconference.

Now he's saying that GTHD came from the Photomode in GT4.

artist

Banned
If GT:HD will indeed be released as a game, then it only makes sense as Sony positioning it as 1080p game until a next gen game at 1080p comes out in 200_.

I wonder how many people will buy this tech demo. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gogogow said:
Now he's saying that GTHD came from the Photomode in GT4.

That doesn't say anything about its status though. And the Fami article apparently labels it as a E3-only demo.

I could see them releasing it (and it doing well, even, at launch), but I think we're getting a pretty confusing message right now.

gogogow

He talks too much about this GTHD for it not to be a game. Why doesn't he talk some more about a real game, GT5?

Seriously though, no one interviewed Kaz after E3? (cos I don't remember any interviews with Kaz.)

jett

D-Member
chaostrophy said:
I'm not trying to sound like an xbot or anything...but this is basically the same kind of enhanced port that exists for every game on the 360's backwards compatibility list, right? The ones that are all free for owners of the original games?

Not exactly, there's a few differences from GT4: You can race with bikes now, and the number of cars on-screen is 12 instead of 6(although in the GT:Vision videos they showed 20...). I might be seeing things but I think some of the textures were kinda improved, and there's more people on the tracks.

It still is a lame-ass GT4 port that shouldn't even exist in the first place, though.

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:
That doesn't say anything about its status though. And the Fami article apparently labels it as a E3-only demo.

I could see them releasing it (and it doing well, even, at launch), but I think we're getting a pretty confusing message right now.

I still think they are working on the next-gen GT and this is basically just a playable E3 progress report and won't show up as a retail product, and they have never officially announced it as a retail product, and this is supported to their updated site info.

jett

D-Member
Kittonwy said:
I still think they are working on the next-gen GT and this is basically just a playable E3 progress report and won't show up as a retail product, and they have never officially announced it as a retail product, and this is supported to their updated site info.

I think it's pretty obvious GTHD will be released, much like GT4:prologue(doesn't mean it's going to replace GT5, of course not :p). If it weren't they wouldn't keep talking about it and releasing new pictures of this garbage.

gogogow

I posted this shortly after E3 in a GTHD thread:

Why was the E3 demonstration 20 minutes?
Why was it playable at the showfloor when it won't turn into a game?
Why did he specifically say: Notice the short loading times. I don't think this comment is relevant to GT5 since the cars and tracks would take longer to load then PS2/GT4 graphics.

Also Kaz said, the next GT will be released shortly after the PS3 launch, he didn't say GT5.

Now in Famitsu he says that GT5 is in it's early stages, then how could you release it shortly after the PS3 launch?
Makes you wonder.

Prove me wrong Kaz, give us a clear answer.

gogogow said:
I posted this shortly after E3 in a GTHD thread:

Why was the E3 demonstration 20 minutes?
Why was it playable at the showfloor when it won't turn into a game?
Why did he specifically say: Notice the short loading times. I don't think this comment is relevant to GT5 since the cars and tracks would take longer to load then PS2/GT4 graphics.

Which all can be summed up with this

In the Famitsu's column Kazunori Yamauchi said he actually didn't want to show nothing about upcoming GT on E3 2006. That was also communicated to all important Sony departments.

However, three weeks before the E3 Yamauchi received the message that Ken Kutaragi from Sony wants to visit Polyphony Digital. Yamauchi was oppressed, because he knew that it could be a bad indication of Sony's intetntions about GT showing. When Kutaragi arrived, he asked Yamauchi: “Can you show Gran Turismo to the E3? Show it simply to the E3!”

Yamauchi sighed, but had a plan: From Gran Turismo 4 he possessed Hi-Res data from vehicle models, which - thus could not be used in the PS2 play - were used in the photo mode. He decided to use that models for making a demo in only three weeks. So Yamauchi assured Kutaragi that to Polyphony digital will develop a GT demo in only 3 weeks for the E3.

Mrbob

Soo GT HD is a real game?

Hey what happened to GT4 online for PS2? Did it get axed in favor of adding this to GT HD PS3 game? I guess that would help sell what is a PS2 port to the public easier.

_leech_ said:
And what's your source on that?

Absolutely nothing. Apparently Kaz and Polyphony have been doing nothing since they showed off the actual car models at TGS. If you believe what some people are saying.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Doom_Bringer said:
lack of next gen Gran Turismo at E3. And now GT5 won't be at TGS either (mark my words right now!!)

i'll take that bet.

SolidSnakex said:
Absolutely nothing. Apparently Kaz and Polyphony have been doing nothing since they showed off the actual car models at TGS. If you believe what some people are saying.

They have been busy working on GTHD while a bunch of programmers are probably doing some R&D work on PS3. But I really doubt they have created any more assets since the TGS showing

Doom_Bringer said:
But I really doubt they have created any more assets since the TGS showing

:lol Good grief. It's been nearly a year since TGS and you honestly believe they have nothing else done with GT5 other than those 2 cars models?

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
:lol Good grief. It's been nearly a year since TGS and you honestly believe they have nothing else done with GT5 other than those 2 cars models?

Easy there with the tough questions,
we don't want another meltdown
.:lol

SolidSnakex said:

these GT4 picture models look pretty sharp! They are probably using those.
My bet is: art is probably progressing nicely especially the track art!

A good chunk of programmers are probably playing around with the PS3 dev kits to see what things they can squeeze out of it and then balancing things like damage, polygons, numbers of cars etc. This takes a lot of time.

The audio team is probably re-recording the engine sounds to the full extent now that they have blue ray

The rest of team with some tech people are probably driving and testing cars daily for physics calculations.

Now it will take a lot of time for the game to come together so to shut up the fans they will launch GT HD this year :D

Top Bottom