• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport will likely not feature traditional offline events

I was focused on the weather part when linking that thread

OP:

I don't believe there will be any rain effects.
We also learn that the inclusion of weather is planned, but this time around Polyphony Digital isn’t going to implement dynamic weather, and we’ll be able to select it at the start of the race. This decision was taken because dynamic weather involves a trade off in terms of quality, and the development team decided to prioritize quality this time around.
from a banned site (sounds like dualrockers) so I can't link it but it sounds solid

Rellik

I'll wait for confirmation on this, but if this proves to be true then they've lost a sale from me. I have no interest in repeating races in Arcade Mode or playing bumper cars online.

JP

Isn't this because the whole purpose of the game is online championship and the FiA license? I'd understood from what they were saying at the event that everything that isn't that is solely to help you get better at the online stuff.

Thats the way that I understood it anyway, perhaps they should have called the game Gran Turismo Online to make it more obvious.

theWB27

Man you all about everything. It isn't any worse, it's just different. I love how everyone was making a call for change and now that it's different, you all are bitching.

Holy crap. If you think people are "bitching" because things are just "different" then you're intentionally ignoring what the biggest calls for change were.

Not everyone wants to get the most out of a game by being online. There is no getting around it. That's not bitching. It's also not revolutionary.

benzy

Isn't this because the whole purpose of the game is online championship and the FiA license? I'd understood from what they were saying at the event that everything that isn't that is solely to help you get better at the online stuff.

Thats the way that I understood it anyway, perhaps they should have called the game Gran Turismo Online to make it more obvious.

Doesn't help when Kaz went on to say this could be seen as GT7.

bombshell

Holy crap. If you think people are "bitching" because things are just "different" then you're intentionally ignoring what the biggest calls for change were.

Not everyone wants to get the most out of a game by being online. There is no getting around it. That's not bitching. It's also not revolutionary.

The online feature set of GT Sport is absolutely revolutionary, especially in the console space.

Unknown?

I love how much crow people have had to eat with this game. With the original reveal everyone pointed out 2D trees and disappointing graphics. They were proven wrong when the clip in the trailer was revealed to be old and all trees are 3D and beautiful while graphics in later clips show huge improvements. Then we had people saying how there'd be no weather or different times of day because they hadn't announced it, we quickly learned afterwards that it will be in there but not dynamic.

Then you have people here singling out one mode trying to make it sound bad when all it is, is different. Holy hell dudes! Most of the people complaining here don't have the slightest clue about anything of this game and their lack of knowledge shows by not even knowing if weather will be in it...

Granted this game isnt going to be perfect and there might be things needing to be addressed but so far all I see is a lack of knowledge. That's mostly due to PD focusing on one aspect of the game though and not talking about the whole thing.

I kind of tuned out when I learned GT Sport axes the primary appeal of Gran Turismo to me, and it's essentially all about professional racing leagues with professional racing cars driven by professional drivers in professional helmets covering professional po-faces.

So I can't really be disappointed if this is true; that the single player "campaign" is basically a tutorial for the multiplayer. At this point I'm just being fascinated with what the hell they're doing and how weird this game is.

Dame

Basically, there is no offline career and what does exist offline is just a big tutorial with tiny sprints and videos on racing etiquette.

How does Sony make fun of microsoft's incompitence at E3 and allow an in-house studio to pull the same type of shenanigans as an always-online game?
I hope this isn't a %100 absolute and that they've snuck an offline career in there somewhere.

from a banned site (sounds like dualrockers) so I can't link it but it sounds solid

Dualshockers is solid so I buy it. Thanks for finding it.

How does Sony make fun of microsoft's incompitence at E3 and allow an in-house studio to pull the same type of shenanigans as an always-online game?
I hope this isn't a %100 absolute and that they've snuck an offline career in there somewhere.

It isn't always online. It has an offline Arcade mode and their own version of a "campaign", except so far it seems the campaign are tutorials and short events.

The online feature set of GT Sport is absolutely revolutionary, especially in the console space.

I agree, MAYBE people don't know what they are missing out on, if they want offline a.i. racing and the idea is radical and fresh on consoles.

The problem is, that the game needs to find its audience (and it's neither the iRacing crowd nor the NFS people) and then some word of mouth on top of that... kinda like Dark Souls.

etta

my hard graphic balls
117 (Hey, John!) sounds kinda light, too. If I recall correctly FH2 had 250 events, what was the number for FM6?

GHG

To be honest, I'm not sure how they could ever have allowed games like overwatch and Evolve to ever release on the PS4...

Mathezar

The appeal of GT for me was always the ability to collect and drive relatively normal, everyday type cars that you would find on the street. What happened? This is has been getting less and less so with every release to the point the focus is only on supercars and concept cars. Cars no normal person would ever get a chance to drive in reality, thus in my eyes it's just a racer like all the others out there. If GTS = GT7, I fear GT has lost me...

AmuroChan

It's not always online. There are offline modes, but the focus of GT Sport is online competition.

DavidDesu

I love how much crow people have had to eat with this game. With the original reveal everyone pointed out 2D trees and disappointing graphics. They were proven wrong when the clip in the trailer was revealed to be old and all trees are 3D and beautiful while graphics in later clips show huge improvements. Then we had people saying how there'd be no weather or different times of day because they hadn't announced it, we quickly learned afterwards that it will be in there but not dynamic.

Then you have people here singling out one mode trying to make it sound bad when all it is, is different. Holy hell dudes! Most of the people complaining here don't have the slightest clue about anything of this game and their lack of knowledge shows by not even knowing if weather will be in it...

Granted this game isnt going to be perfect and there might be things needing to be addressed but so far all I see is a lack of knowledge. That's mostly due to PD focusing on one aspect of the game though and not talking about the whole thing.

When PD announce a big reveal event and their trailer shows those terrible track graphics.... what do you expect people to make of it?! Seriously you're just excusing them for being an utterly hopeless developer and fucking around with the fanbase something awful. Terrible drip feeding of information even though they had a big reveal that should have told us what this game even is. Drip feed of bad news that dynamic time and weather is no longer a feature after having been in the past two games.... Stop making excuses for them, they've fucked up the GT brand and seem intent on continuing to do so chasing after some very particular idea Kaz seems to have that everyone else is scratching their heads over.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Who the hell is this game for? Who asked for a mostly online GT polyphony? I love you guys, I love GT, but this is too much for even me. I would have followed you guys with even a remastered GT6, but not like this.

The appeal of GT for me was always the ability to collect and drive relatively normal, everyday type cars that you would find on the street. What happened? This is has been getting less and less so with every release to the point the focus is only on supercars and concept cars. Cars no normal person would ever get a chance to drive in reality, thus in my eyes it's just a racer like all the others out there. If GTS = GT7, I fear GT has lost me...

He said in the Q+A session he doesn't see a market for that game anymore.

DavidDesu

IF the online racing works as well as a game like say, Rocket League, and IF the matchmaking is as fast and as well matched as Rocket League's can be and IF there's a good damage model so your racing has consequences and IF they can regulate it so if you want to race semi-professionally you won't be up against idiots going in reverse... then it might not be too bad an experience.

So let's wait 5 years until they get all that stuff sorted out and working well then..

farisr

The thing is, you just read really superficial stuff about the handling and it's coming from GT fans (some of which surely have a valid and balanced perspective, but others won't).
What I've seen from how the car behaves after losing traction, the handling still looks a lot like GT. The tire squeal and when it sets in, suggests the same imo.
In terms of physic-authenticity this game can't compete with Assetto Corsa, iRacing or the ISI-based sims. Which is not good, if you want to attract the best racers out there.
Oh I know, it looks like I didn't get my meaning across clearly (could've worded it better). I meant that the only positive things that I've seen from the impressions were about the gameplay, Didn't mean to make it sound like there have only been positive impressions about the gameplay.

Vex_

Banned
With all this negative talk about Gt sport, I wouldnt be surprised if they pull a "Well this isnt a REAL GT game" and release the true GT7 on PSNEO. Then they'll just sit back and go, now buy THIS.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
With all this negative talk about Gt sport, I wouldnt be surprised if they pull a "Well this isnt a REAL GT game" and release the true GT7 on PSNEO. Then they'll just sit back and go, now buy THIS.
I dunno..if GT7 still happens is has to be what..at least 2 years away, probably 3. That's mid 2019, PS5 might be out or very close by then. At this point I'm just gonna hope for a legit Forza 7 on Scorpio.

When PD announce a big reveal event and their trailer shows those terrible track graphics.... what do you expect people to make of it?! Seriously you're just excusing them for being an utterly hopeless developer and fucking around with the fanbase something awful. Terrible drip feeding of information even though they had a big reveal that should have told us what this game even is. Drip feed of bad news that dynamic time and weather is no longer a feature after having been in the past two games.... Stop making excuses for them, they've fucked up the GT brand and seem intent on continuing to do so chasing after some very particular idea Kaz seems to have that everyone else is scratching their heads over.
Ya don't try to make your opinion sound as fact.

dubc35

If true I think we have finally reached the point where I am actively hoping this game sells and reviews poorly.

He doesn't see a market for games that have sold 10M+ each except for GT^ (for obvious reason)? This is horse shit thinking on their part.

They're probably considering a longer-term direction for the franchise. But I don't think you can argue that, looking at the current games market, a racing game where you purchase a second-hand Nissan Micra to race at the weekend cup for credits to purchase parts for your car until you can afford something better, is a really popular style of game?

No career mode? Very disappointed, probably going to skip this GT, it's why I buy the games. I dropped GT PSP almost immediately because there wasn't any meat, seem this game will be the same.

eso76

Heartbreaking.
I don't want to derail the thread, but they couldn't pick a better time to port Forza Motorport to PC.

Top Bottom