• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Iknos

Goldrusher said:
Do know that Forza 3 took some serious "artistic liberties" when recreating real tracks. From adding stuff, to changing walls to widen the asphalt of the infamous Nordschleife. So even though they might look prettier, they're far from authentic.

Can you PM me details? Don't post it here or you'll get banned.

spwolf said:
so... tree that you will not notice, unless you pause the game and glue your eyes to tv set, are more important than... cars... in... car game... where... cars... take up 50-80% of the screen?

interesting. I am glad PD has different priorities than you... and it seems millions others are too.

Can't speak for him but I think he is talking about track detail in general. Maybe when he says "Tracks>Sounds>Car detail" he is talking about tracks and not trees.

We know real life tracks are plain but when you play Supercar Challenge and these other new sims you see a lot more detail on these real life tracks.

I can see that there's an imbalance when it comes to the details on the cars compared to many tracks.

Tokyo looks great and the detail on that track complement the cars well. We saw Fuji getting an upgrade graphically and it suits the game better.

After all your eyes are on the track more than anything else in this game. Trees are another issue and you don't want to be staring at them when racing.

I was really happy to see Fuji Speedway get that visual update and it would be great if all other tracks looked better like it.

Tsukuba looked hot too.

Iknos

chubigans said:
Whoa, almost missed this quote. My response is BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA.

That is all.

Don't think he cares what your response is. Don't know why I should care either.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Iknos said:
Don't think he cares what your response is. Don't know why I should care either.
The idea of sacrificing visual fidelity on the cars just to add more branches to the trees in a CAR DRIVING SIMULATION is absolutely nuts.

Better looking tracks, sure, I'd like that. And from what we've seen, Polyphony has done just that (the textures in particular). But better looking trees instead of amazing looking cars. Man. I don't know how to respond to that. Hence the laughter.

edit: though they are flimsy looking trees. Not denying that. :p

A look at the garage scene

28wjc5d.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsqLkfXq_0Y

spwolf

Iknos said:
We know real life tracks are plain but when you play Supercar Challenge and these other new sims you see a lot more detail on these real life tracks.

I can see that there's an imbalance when it comes to the details on the cars compared to many tracks.

i understand what you are saying, however i doubt that he meant the same thing... he just wanted to say which game he preferred better, in what he thought was smart way.

otherwise, it is hard to argue that cars should not be higher fidelity than tracks, who are often quite boring in real life, not to mention that they are quite faithfully reproduced in GT5 demos we saw.

it really does not matter though, no need to argue about it... we all just want GT5 to come out, and I am sure we will be blown away regardless of how trees look like.

Iknos

I thought you were laughing at his comment but it seems you misunderstood it.

chubigans said:
The idea of sacrificing visual fidelity on the cars just to add more branches to the trees in a CAR DRIVING SIMULATION is absolutely nuts.

I agree but he's talking about tracks.

Better looking tracks, sure, I'd like that. And from what we've seen, Polyphony has done just that (the textures in particular).

Yeah they have and it has me excited. You have to admit that the cars look so good that the track detail doesn't match it in fidelity for most tracks.

Tokyo/Fuji/Tsukuba shows us that we can have our 16 highly detailed cars and our detailed tracks at the same time.

But I can't argue with his logic. Say PD toned down the detail on the cars and the tracks looked more impressive...more people would notice that because most people are looking at the track while racing. I didn't think his priorities were something to scoff at. Feel free to disagree but I thought it was rude to laugh at them when they are perfectly fine standards to have.

Still it looks like we can have both. Have to bring up Fuji again because it is a plain looking track in RL. But the latest stuff we saw looks very good.

So if a plain track can look that good in GT5 we have nothing to worry about.

Metalmurphy said:
Why would I care if you care about what he cares.

Why wouldn't you.

Gek54

Goldrusher said:
Do know that Forza 3 took some serious "artistic liberties" when recreating real tracks. From adding stuff, to changing walls to widen the asphalt of the infamous Nordschleife. So even though they might look prettier, they're far from authentic.

Not arguing that FM3 did a perfect job, nothing about adding stuff that shouldnt be there or getting the dimensions wrong in a "sim" is praiseworthy.

Metalmurphy said:
You could have just downloaded the GT Time Trial.

I did and I very much enjoyed having full car control, cant wait for the 'full' game.

spwolf said:
so... tree that you will not notice, unless you pause the game and glue your eyes to tv set, are more important than... cars... in... car game... where... cars... take up 50-80% of the screen?

interesting. I am glad PD has different priorities than you... and it seems millions others are too.

50-80% of gameplay or did you mean photomode? And no I dont need to pause to see the difference during the race. 3D trees add to the immersion and longevity of the track. GT5's cardboard cutout shimmer shrubs become more noticeable after every lap and begin to grate on me a little after a while. Not too worried about it but a valid complaint.

amar212

Gek54 said:
Id much rather have better looking tracks than 16 ridiculously detailed cars.

Have you ever actually saw the tracks in any GT game and compared them with same tracks on same generation in the same moment of time?

I guess you have not.

spwolf

Gek54 said:
3D trees add to the immersion and longevity of the track.

if thats your opinion, then you would certainly not ever track for more than few laps.... in real life, those trees do not look like ones in botanical garden.

how the heck do you even focus on trees while driving on track?

spwolf

Iknos said:
I talked about the reflections on the helmet before but its great to see a closeup of them.

So what the deal with these demos? Are they planning to send any our way for our patience? :)

that demo is quite big... i doubt we will ever get it ;-)

Iknos said:
So what the deal with these demos? Are they planning to send any our way for our patience? :)

Doubtful as this just seems to be a demo compilation. The screen I posted is from the CES demo. I'd guess the same would be for the FT-86 video because it has that updated camera view. I don't think that we'll get a demo until a month or so away from the final games release date.

WTF is up with the annoying ass music in those videos.

other than that it looks good, not much you could say since they have been showing the same shit since TGS.

Firewire

Banned
Goldrusher said:
From left to right: Arcade, Online, Dealer, GT mode, Status, Theatre, Options, Manual

Thanks.

SolidSnakex said:
It's just licensed music that the video creator used. GT5's menu music should be in line with Prologue's so you should expect stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-A-BXzGIeU

I have been getting a bit tired of the music in GT5P, but as long as they mix up some different tracks into the options I'll be fine for GT5. Custom music I guess is another option, but I'd probably stick with Jazz as it just seems to fit GT.

Firewire said:
Thanks.

I have been getting a bit tired of the music in GT5P, but as long as they mix up some different tracks into the options I'll be fine for GT5. Custom music I guess is another option, but I'd probably stick with Jazz as it just seems to fit GT.

i always turn the music off in racing games. i rather hear the cars or my own music.

Firewire said:

I'm not saying that it'll use the exact same music. But that should be the style you should expect. The racing music is going to have the usual rock, rap and drum and bass tracks while the menu style will be completely different.

Gek54

brotkasten said:
If you can recognize the details of trees while racing, then you're doing it wrong.

Lots of repetition in circuit racing, if you spend more than 2 laps on a track and become familiar with a track then you start to notice and appreciate the details. GT isnt all F1 cars nor is it 30fps blurred to hell, there is a fair amount of time to take in the detail in most of the production cars.

SolidSnakex said:
Interesting, here's a video of the FT-86 with the bumper nearly falling off and the door jarred loose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3z7h3HruU

http://i40.tinypic.com/141v19u.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/4hxe2x.png
http://i42.tinypic.com/2lubfb.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/1562uty.jpg

Credit to Coiler from GTplanet for finding the vid.

All the "lol only on race cars" haters just got told.

It's like I said. Damage on ALL cars, but race cars can have parts flying off.

Thats a great find SolidSnakex

Is that a broken tail light too?

Konosuke

It looks very similar to the kind of damage of the WRC Impreza, i hope there's much more to it. Can't judge the scratches very well. So far so good for GT5 :D

Konosuke said:
It looks very similar to the kind of damage of the WRC Impreza, i hope there's much more to it. Can't judge the scratches very well. So far so good for GT5 :D

It's because they haven't implemented deformation damage into the builds we've seen yet. Kaz said that the team that's doing the damage is making a deformation system that's based on the speed and angle that you hit a car or object rather than a predetermined model.

Firewire

Banned
Konosuke said:

Add one or two more laps to that and the car would be dead on the track. I wish we had a way to measure mechanical failure with destruction, but we wont get an idea till we get the game I suppose.

SolidSnakex said:
It's because they haven't implemented deformation damage into the builds we've seen yet. Kaz said that the team that's doing the damage is making a deformation system that's based on the speed and angle that you hit a car or object rather than a predetermined model.

I'd REALLY like to believe that, but I don't think it'll ever see the light of day. Maybe for GT6 :p

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:

Bullshit, that won't happen until at least GT6.

EDIT: Metalmurphy beat me to it. :lol

Top Bottom