• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Yoboman said:
Yeah it's really strange that they sound so bad. You'd think Yamauchi would fix that considering how much time he actually spends racing cars

From everything I've seen the PD guys record vehicle sounds by just having the car rev while stationary. Which of course won't allow for engine/exhaust notes to be nearly as robust as when the car is moving and there's a load on the engine.

The tire squeal is bad too. It's as if there is no direct relation to the sound and the interaction of an individual tire with the road. It's as if the volume and pitch of the tires is generated by some single general grip level.

saladine1

Valkyr Junkie said:
From everything I've seen the PD guys record vehicle sounds by just having the car rev while stationary. Which of course won't allow for engine/exhaust notes to be nearly as robust as when the car is moving and there's a load on the engine.

That is a very important piece of information there.

Anyway, have a listen to this. Now that is brutal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCqCHzrYGMc

Firewire

Banned
Gek54 said:
Yeah there is this other 'sim' that has permanent active steering that will steer the car for you even in 900 degree mode, its highly offensive to the senses. It is refreshing to see the GT5 Enzo lose that much control.

Didn't know about that.

I hate active steering. It bothers me even that I have to turn it right down in GT5P. For some reason my download of GT5P every once in awhile defaults its settings so I have to check it all the damn time.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Latest videos of the Nurb track looks awesome. Those three track variations would be great to release as a demo.

Though I personally do love the cities. London was beautiful in Prologue, Tokyo looks great, Rome looked fantastic the little glimpse we got of it.

I hope the Rally portion of GT5 is fun... I enjoy Rally a lot.

offshore

I don't think Sony would ever release a public GT demo with the Nurb courses. They're too sought after to just be distributed free in a demo.

Glix

Hey guys, quick questions now that I have a Wheel on the way (Logitech Driving Force GT & pedals)...

1. Is there a clutch of some kind, that you have to use when shifting?

2. How real is the shifting? Do you have to take your foot of the gas? Can you stall out?

Glix said:
Hey guys, quick questions now that I have a Wheel on the way (Logitech Driving Force GT & pedals)...

1. Is there a clutch of some kind, that you have to use when shifting?

2. How real is the shifting? Do you have to take your foot of the gas? Can you stall out?

1. Yes but it's optional. You need to press triangle to activate it.

2. No, iirc it's just faster. Been a while since I played GT5P.

Goldrusher

DFGT doesn't have a clutch.

You can only use paddle shifts (which are some sort of buttons on the DFGT) or the sequential stick. No clutch is needed, nor does it exist in reality. No production car with paddles or sequential stick has a clutch pedal.

Glix

Goldrusher said:
DFGT doesn't have a clutch.

You can only use paddle shifts (which are some sort of buttons on the DFGT) or the sequential stick. No clutch is needed, nor does it exist in reality. No production car with paddles or sequential stick has a clutch pedal.

Gotcha. So racecars and stuff don't use a clutch? Or just don't use a pedal to clutch? (I don't know much about racing and haven't played a GT since 2 so sorry if I'm completely ignorant)

I've driven stick for the last 10 years irl, so there is no way I'm driving a lame ass manual in GT :)

-viper-

Banned
Glix said:
Gotcha. So racecars and stuff don't use a clutch? Or just don't use a pedal to clutch? (I don't know much about racing and haven't played a GT since 2 so sorry if I'm completely ignorant)

I've driven stick for the last 10 years irl, so there is no way I'm driving a lame ass manual in GT :)
all cars have a clutch. but you don't need to depress it in race cars and most modern cars. i.e. new audi cars are semi-automatic or tiptronic.

BeeDog

-viper- said:
For someone who has only played GT in automatic for all my life, tell me why manual is the better choice?

When you drive manually, you change gears more optimally, therefore reaching the top speed faster.

BeeDog said:
When you drive manually, you change gears more optimally, therefore reaching the top speed faster.

That's not the main benefit, there's probably not much in it with most cars for pure acceleration.
The main difference is you know the circuit, so for example when accelerating towards a corner, it can be faster to redline in the gear you're in instead of changing up just before the braking point.

cakefoo

Graphics Horse said:
That's not the main benefit, there's probably not much in it with most cars for pure acceleration.
The main difference is you know the circuit, so for example when accelerating towards a corner, it can be faster to redline in the gear you're in instead of changing up just before the braking point.
Also, you might take a corner in 3rd gear but then the car decides without warning that it wants to go down to 2nd, which could cause oversteer. If you knew you were downshifting, you could let up on the pedal a little.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
-viper- said:
For someone who has only played GT in automatic for all my life, tell me why manual is the better choice?
downshifting. while upshifting is essentially a control intended to provide optimal acceleration, downshifting is largely a tactical control - it's often carried with intentions other than keeping the engine in the optimal RPM wrt speed. for instance, while upshifting you'd normally want to avoid engine revving, while at downshiting you may want to rev the engine on purpose for various reasons, which is hard for an algorithm to guess.

ZR1 on the GP course

29ec13.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnfd64YAFqw

DarkJC

I used to think the GT sounds were pretty bad, but playing the time trial back when it came out it sounds like GT5 will have pretty accurate sounds, just missing the "beef" of the low end. If polyphony can find a way to add in that meat they'd be perfect, but I dont think they will at this point.

The tire squealing really needs changing though, it seems like such a glaring issue it's another thing I'm surprised Kaz hasn't picked up on. He races cars, surely he knows tire squealing isn't one constant pitch and sound no matter what the tires are doing.

Yoboman

PjotrStroganov said:
The tire squeal is bad too. It's as if there is no direct relation to the sound and the interaction of an individual tire with the road. It's as if the volume and pitch of the tires is generated by some single general grip level.
I disagree with that, the tire sounds are quite good now.

DarkJC said:
I used to think the GT sounds were pretty bad, but playing the time trial back when it came out it sounds like GT5 will have pretty accurate sounds, just missing the "beef" of the low end. If polyphony can find a way to add in that meat they'd be perfect, but I dont think they will at this point.

NFS games are still the peak when it comes to sound in racers. I'm not sure what the hell they do to achieve it, but they deserve a lot more credit for the sound than they get.

Baki

SolidSnakex said:
NFS games are still the peak when it comes to sound in racers. I'm not sure what the hell they do to achieve it, but they deserve a lot more credit for the sound than they get.

Whats with the teenage girl in the avvy? :s

Baki

Loudninja said:
Not a teenage girl.

Oh..Ok. Where does he find these images. :lol

PS: For the record, SolidSnakeX is one of my favourite posters on GAF. :lol He's our PD community manager. :lol :lol

KingDizzi

Banned
Baki said:
Oh..Ok. Where does he find these images. :lol

PS: For the record, SolidSnakeX is one of my favourite posters on GAF. :lol He's our PD community manager. :lol :lol

Gosh don't you ever put on MTV or Kerrang? She sang that Twilight song, also watched both movies just a few hours ago and feel pretty suicidal right now but that's for another day.

Have 16 cars on track at once been shown in GT5? Could have sworn 12 has been the highest thus far but would love to be wrong.

Insane Metal said:
What the fuck are you talking about? Gimme a light :lol

6qv96h.jpg

Been reading some posts over at GTplanet about it, they are still convinced it has to do with detailed damage modeling over just scratches and paint loss. Me... i'm not so sure anymore :S

But tbh, stuff doesn't make sense the other way around either.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Metalmurphy said:
6qv96h.jpg

Been reading some posts over at GTplanet about it, they are still convinced it has to do with detailed damage modeling over just scratches and paint loss. Me... i'm not so sure anymore :S

But tbh, stuff doesn't make sense the other way around either.

Doesn't premium relate to the extra accessories a car model might come with. Like full optional or something?

TTP said:
Doesn't premium relates to the extra accessories a car model might come with. Like full optional or something?

In the context of dealerships yeah... But considering what we're talking about here i think that view is a bit too optimistic :p

alba

Little is the new Big
The current take on "Premium" is that the car has interior view as well as interior damage model compared to the rest which just have the cockpit and scratches.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
alba said:
The current take on "Premium" is that the car has interior view as well as interior damage model compared to the rest which just have the cockpit and scratches.
I really don't believe this 'interior damage' claim. External damage (from what's been shown so far) is really simplist, and I don't believe it will be much better than that. Internal damage seems wayyyy distant from reality.

Melfice7

Insane Metal said:
I really don't believe this 'interior damage' claim. External damage (from what's been shown so far) is really simplist, and I don't believe it will be much better than that. Internal damage seems wayyyy distant from reality.

cant wait for the game to come out and everyone getting soooo disappointed with damage :lol

personally i dont give a crap, what i wanted was proper collision physics and thats there and maybe mechanical damage

Niks

Melfice7 said:
cant wait for the game to come out and everyone getting soooo disappointed with damage :lol

personally i dont give a crap, what i wanted was proper collision physics and thats there and maybe mechanical damage

Agreed.

Firewire

Banned
Melfice7 said:

Damage goes against all that is racing. A real driver seeks no contact with anything but tires on pavement. Drive the right lines and pic your spots drivers always end up at the top of the podium.

This is where the real racing in GT5 will be, the rest can bump and crash together all they want they want, I don't really care.

Top Bottom