• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Yoboman

Melfice7 said:
cant wait for the game to come out and everyone getting soooo disappointed with damage :lol

personally i dont give a crap, what i wanted was proper collision physics and thats there and maybe mechanical damage
Seriously? Is anyone really that worried whether your car crumples a little bit or a lot? The important thing is the impact physics are good now, no more bumper cars and using cars to get around corners. Forza has a pretty weak damage model, but there's not a lot of concern there.

alba

Little is the new Big
Insane Metal said:
I really don't believe this 'interior damage' claim. External damage (from what's been shown so far) is really simplist, and I don't believe it will be much better than that. Internal damage seems wayyyy distant from reality.

That's what we were told via interviews and translations (we all know what that means though, we'll never know anything until the day you get to play the game for yourself).

Either way, E3's coming soon and we should have proper informations there (hopefully).

Firewire

Banned
alba said:
That's what we were told via interviews and translations (we all know what that means though, we'll never know anything until the day you get to play the game for yourself).

Either way, E3's coming soon and we should have proper informations there (hopefully).
June 14th better not disappoint. World wide release date and some answers hopefully are given.

saladine1

Why does everyone assume that there is going to be a blowout at E3?
Has something been mentioned in regards to a standalone GT5 presentation?
What are the burning questions everyone wants answered(besides the obvious release date)that will satisfy the hungry?

saladine1 said:
What are the burning questions everyone wants answered(besides the obvious release date)that will satisfy the hungry?

Release date, clarification on the whole locations/tracks confusion, and the premium thingy.

And ofc theres gonna be a blowout at E3. Game is coming out this year.

Firewire

Banned
saladine1 said:

They (Sony) pretty much stated that E3 will be big for GT.

Burning questions you say! How about exact damage details, the exact number of cars, the weather, day night cycles, the amount of tracks, what tracks, night racing....should I list more?

Gek54

Firewire said:
Damage goes against all that is racing. A real driver seeks no contact with anything but tires on pavement. Drive the right lines and pic your spots drivers always end up at the top of the podium.

This is where the real racing in GT5 will be, the rest can bump and crash together all they want they want, I don't really care.

Ive found in most games that there tends to be a huge difference in the driving quality of those who race in simulation damage lobbies versus no mechanical damage.

saladine1

Gek54 said:
Ive found in most games that there tends to be a huge difference in the driving quality of those who race in simulation damage lobbies versus no mechanical damage.
Until the inevitable destruction derby wannabe comes along..

ShapeGSX

Firewire said:
Damage goes against all that is racing. A real driver seeks no contact with anything but tires on pavement. Drive the right lines and pic your spots drivers always end up at the top of the podium.

A real driver seeks no contact? Sure. That doesn't always happen, though. Top drivers crash, too.

In 24 hour races, contact is virtually guaranteed at some point, if a mechanical issue doesn't take you out first. So you go back to the pits and you try and fix it as best you can and get back out there. In WRC, you flip the car back on its wheels and try to drive on. And if that doesn't work, pull out the tool kit and get wrenching.

Damage doesn't "go against all that is racing." Damage is a HUGE part of racing.

Gek54

saladine1 said:
Until the inevitable destruction derby wannabe comes along..

Happens and they usually get kicked out but for most, mechanical damage keeps people honest. That fear of mechanical damage plays a huge part in the simulation experience.

Firewire said:

This is where the real racing in GT5 will be, the rest can bump and crash together all they want they want, I don't really care.

^ no clue.

Firewire

Banned
Gek54 said:

This is true, well from my own personal experience.

ShapeGSX said:
A real driver seeks no contact? Sure. That doesn't always happen, though. Top drivers crash, too.

In 24 hour races, contact is virtually guaranteed at some point, if a mechanical issue doesn't take you out first. So you go back to the pits and you try and fix it as best you can and get back out there. In WRC, you flip the car back on its wheels and try to drive on. And if that doesn't work, pull out the tool kit and get wrenching.

Damage doesn't "go against all that is racing." Damage is a HUGE part of racing.

No race car driver intentionally crashes or looks for contact, that only happens in games where people sometimes act like idiots. This is why I never went online with GT5P till 6 or so months after it released, let the idiots get bored of it. Now for the most part I find online races to have little or no contact at all.

lunlunqq

saladine1 said:

Because if NOT, a massive coordinated suicide will happen... Sony and PD sure do not want that to happen, right?

saladine1

I don't know..I mean, seriously,when you crash in a game,do you really continue driving with limited capacity 'till the end of the race?
Sure, initially it's fun to see crumpled fenders and bonnets coming off, but after a while, it starts to get old if that's your sole reason for wanting damage.
Unless you are really 'hardcore', I bet most people press restart or in some cases rewind, and start again.
This is one big reason, for me anyway, why I don't really care if damage is implemented or not, even if it is part of racing.

ShapeGSX

saladine1 said:
I don't know..I mean, seriously,when you crash in a game,do you really continue driving with limited capacity 'till the end of the race?
Sure, initially it's fun to see crumpled fenders and bonnets coming off, but after a while, it starts to get old if that's your sole reason for wanting damage.
Unless you are really 'hardcore', I bet most people press restart or in some cases rewind, and start again.
This is one big reason, for me anyway, why I don't really care if damage is implemented or not, even if it is part of racing.

Depends on whether you want it to be a "simulation" or a "game."

Firewire said:
June 14th better not disappoint. World wide release date and some answers hopefully are given.

Well if the "floor" is open perhaps on the 14th the release date will be plastered on either a banner there or under wraps at the Sony section of E3...Heh even during setup, sometimes I guess I noticed, people capture pics of stuff yet to be unveiled.

Omiee

but they said the latter like the article says it may be not for all races, its only confirmed for the 24 hour race for now not for the GP circuit, also no dynamic confirmed

“It’s incredibly accurate,” was Owen’s verdict. “And having raced in the real-life event the day before, I can tell you that every bump, crest and dip on the Nürburgring track is replicated. You’ll never recreate the race’s atmosphere in a game, but even the campsites look genuine!”

That´s all fine and dandy, but what about the tree simulation.

Firewire

Banned
shagg_187 said:
"And he even got to try the new night racing feature."

So it's confirmed that night racing is not just a variation but a proper feature, right?
Who knows, we probably won't find out till the game launches.

mclaren777

Firewire said:
I couldn't have said it better myself.

paskowitz

IMO while nothing is obviously confirmed this means that PD at the very least has a night system in place. Technically if it can be done on The Ring it can be done on any track. Doing it one off would be highly inefficient. I do not think we will see night racing on every track though. KY is a stickler for details and since every track has unique lighting I think it would be quite difficult. I think we will see tracks like Le Sarthe that hold endurance races have this night option. However considering this rally circuits usually do not have lighting so given this logic rally at night is a strong possibility. Having this all be dynamic is really up in the air. But honestly if PD has gotten this far and implemented a night feature I see no reason, other than time, why they wouldn't be able to make it dynamic

qirex99

Banned
i dunno, but it seems that racers are going the way of fighting games.

Personally I would rather play a racer with a twist (test drive, pure, blur, split/second) than a another boring sim-racer.

Maybe its just me, but I used to LOVE racing games - now I barely play them....

thefreshjive

Neo Member
qirex99 said:
Personally I would rather play a racer with a twist (test drive, pure, blur, split/second) than a another boring sim-racer.
Seems like you prefer arcade racers which is perfectly fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions and preferences. Just know that many of us here thoroughly enjoy the "boring" sim-racers.

Firewire said:
You serious man?! Of course damage isn't the point of racing, but it happens. It's like saying injuries goes against all that is football :lol

Firewire said:
Oh, the bitterness....

qirex99 said:
i dunno, but it seems that racers are going the way of fighting games.

Maybe its just me, but I used to LOVE racing games - now I barely play them....
There are lots of semi-realistic games to choose from, actually there are much more than sims, so I don't get the complaint.

BeeDog

I'm probably the only one finding the 'Nurb @ Night news unreliable, or? :( Feels like any news about this game is unconfirmed, at least until a proper blowout occurs.

new-avatar.gif

mesmerizing... who is this?

I wonder if we can expect dynamic whether because I remember Kaz said as long as it's there for a reason they would include it, and 24 hour races seem a perfect one.

Omiee said:
but they said the latter like the article says it may be not for all races, its only confirmed for the 24 hour race for now not for the GP circuit, also no dynamic confirmed

It has to be dynamic doesn't it? I mean so what we race with the sun up and then all of a sudden it will switch to darkness? I realllllyyy doubt that.

ghostofsparta said:
It has to be dynamic doesn't it? I mean so what we race with the sun up and then all of a sudden it will switch to darkness? I realllllyyy doubt that.

Doesn't have to be and I don't expect it. GT4 didn't have it either and it did have 24h races. I suspect we get the choice to choose a race during the day or night. I'll be goddamn impressed if the day and night cycle is dynamic.

This pretty much confirms that we're getting a date at E3

And when asked about a release date (again only roughly translated):
"We know exactly that the fans are waiting for it and we want to release it too. I think that it's more painful for us than for the fans that we couldn't hold the last (march) release date ...the next time we will announce a release date we will be 100% sure that we can hold it to not make the mistake we did with the march date. You just have to wait a little longer until we announce a new date, only some days or weeks"

http://www.gamestrust.de/articles,id101,2,gran_turismo_5.html

Credit to zod from GTplanet for the translation.

Goldrusher

It's usually the first place these articles pop up, and there's always someone that speaks a language. Be it German, French or Swahili.

Anyway, the guy they interviewed knows nothing. He only repeated stuff everybody knows.

Goldrusher

deepbrown said:
Who said it?
Sony's German product manager.
He kept dodging questions and/or giving answers everybody already knows.

Crappy interview. Either you interview someone from Polyphony, or you don't do an interview at all.
These marketing people won't answer anything.

Top Bottom