• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 will use addaptive tesselation

Graphics coder here. Tessellation let's us break up a mesh into a more complex mesh for use in something like displacement mapping. The question is how much we breakup the mesh. Adaptive tessellation let's us break up the mesh using dynamic factors such as distance, occlusion, and size.

Tessellation wasn't originally supported on the PS3 so it's likely they're doing this as an SPE job. PS4 has tessellation support from the get go.

Thank You!

No - tesselation is creating new polygons from existing ones - regardless of the size or position of objects on the screen.

It's one of the things SPEs pretty much excel at (as did PS2 VUs for that matter).

Graphics coder here. Tessellation let's us break up a mesh into a more complex mesh for use in something like displacement mapping. The question is how much we breakup the mesh. Adaptive tessellation let's us break up the mesh using dynamic factors such as distance, occlusion, and size.

Tessellation wasn't originally supported on the PS3 so it's likely they're doing this as an SPE job. PS4 has tessellation support from the get go.

The difference between this and the traditional way of doing LODs is memory. With traditional LODs, you need to store a separate mesh for each model's level of detail. With adaptive tessellation, you can potentially just store a base model and let the tessellation shaders handle how many primitives are produced.

Thank you both for the explanations.

Perkel

Banned
I believe OP does know nothing about "adaptive tessellation" as the technique which is (a)essentially computing an indicator or potential function to adaptively coarsen/refine mesh for the objective functional(lighting, fluid, elastic deformation), or (b)performing mesh refining automatically where the mean curvature is large.

What you posted are just meshes with different LODs. They seem to have nothing to do with adaptive tessellation that is widely used in the scientific community to solve the electromagnetic wave propagation numerical simulation problem (for e.g. ray tracing).

I posted those meshes as tesselation because those screens were used at presentation when kaz mentioned tesselation

there is full presentation already which i am trying to watch but i can't (video doesn't load)

that's cool. use whatever tricks you need to use to get the game to run at a smooth 60fps. that's all that matters... that and the hope of a ps4 version since i have no ps3 :p

Perkel

Banned
here is confirmation of using adaptive tesselation on that models which i posted:
taken from conference video

iQDUMD3aVbQkT.png

here is exact moment

KKRT00

here :

dataudiquattrotsurc.gif

look at the trunk under wing at the end of gif. Self shadows are simply much much much smoother than they were in GT5 (low res and hard)

they fixed them

I didnt write that there are no self-shadowing, but that it lack it n many instances.

====
http://gematsu.com/gallery/gran-turismo-6/may-15-2013/Gran-Turismo-6_2013_05-15-13_017.jpg.php

Going by the pics in the gallery, this just looks precalculated models at various resolutions, which GT5 did not have. (It snapped between full detail and cardboard box car)

Where did they get that? o_0

===
Shaders are definitely worse in GT 6.

Perkel

Banned
I didnt write that there are no self-shadowing, but that it lacks them in many instances.

===
Shaders are definitely worse in GT 6.

1. I think it is to early to say that GT6 has problem with self shadowing. GT5 had terrible self shadows and GT6 looks like improved them a lot. We need to see some more footage to say that there are problems with it. Self shadowing really is hard to find depending on light condition and that is why in overcast setting there was no problem with self shadows in GT5 because you could hardly see them.

2. Source of this statement ? To me shaders looks the same if not better.

Didn't Ridge Racer 4 hit around the same time as GT2? They serve completely different niches. I would imagine Driveclub would be the "arcade" racer for PS4, while GT would be the simulation racer.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
tesselation at this point is just one of those buzz words that people associate with awesome when results are always garbage.

LoD transitions in GT5 were already good and imperceivable. However if they are going to even scale up to the highest LoD model ingame then it would be a good thing.

tesselation at this point is just one of those buzz words that people associate with awesome when results are always garbage.

LoD transitions in GT5 were already good and imperceivable. However if they are going to even scale up to the highest LoD model ingame then it would be a good thing.

Fuck get some glasses dude. They are extremely noticeable.

It's interesting, because Xbox has a tessellation unit in it's GPU, but it doesn't employ any forms of tessellation in game, (I think it does in replays though, but it 100% does in screenshots), and GT6 does it in game for LOD.

Perkel

Banned
I wonder what sacrifices they are making to get this in?

That depend what you mean by sacrifices. Using one model not 4 (lod) is upgrade not sacrifice. They had ton of time to upgrade their engine but they did it from scratch. They increased HDR quality by 50 times (where GT had already terrific HDR) by moving it to SPUs (from presentation).

From my look they upgraded a lot engine

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
The difference between this and the traditional way of doing LODs is memory. With traditional LODs, you need to store a separate mesh for each model's level of detail. With adaptive tessellation, you can potentially just store a base model and let the tessellation shaders handle how many primitives are produced.

Interesting, I didn't know this.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry article that goes into further detail on this. Can't wait for GT6.

Didn't Ridge Racer 4 hit around the same time as GT2? They serve completely different niches. I would imagine Driveclub would be the "arcade" racer for PS4, while GT would be the simulation racer.

Didnd't you watch the painful tryhard 'speech' at the ps4 unveiling, he was trying so fucking hard to pretend to be passionate about cars and anal about details, basically PD's schtick but in a very insincere way.

Driverclub is definitely aiming for the same audience.

I called it!

I knew GT6 would use Adaptive tessellation, I just had a hunch. I predicted this long time ago on gaf! Someone find my post and confirm it

The cars look next gen for sure, the can probably add adaptive tessellation to give them even more detail while still maintaining 60 FPS (it might take PD sometime to research and implement it, they could save it for GT7)

With the tracks, they could add real time cloud shadows, add weather effects, reflections, wind among other things to make them feel next gen.

They can use simple tricks to make the tracks look good:

8338322571_d97ee834688rkzl.jpg

8297081752_288e463ec2uaj11.jpg

as6uvl.gif

bkxu4x.gif

PD's got this in the bag.

OH HELL YEA!!!! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=55139304 Posted on April 23, 2013

charsace

That depend what you mean by sacrifices. Using one model not 4 (lod) is upgrade not sacrifice. They had ton of time to upgrade their engine but they did it from scratch. They increased HDR quality by 50 times (where GT had already terrific HDR) by moving it to SPUs (from presentation).

From my look they upgraded a lot engine

Tessellation has been around for years, but hasn't been done because its expensive to do. They are going to be sacrificing in places to get this running on the PS3.

Top Bottom