• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 will use addaptive tesselation

This whole scenario reminds me when EA sports said polygons can't be done on the PS1 for a football game, when Sony 989 studios announced they were using polygons. The speculation began saying it they pull it off, it would be lacking in other areas they would have to sacrifice something. Not only did they not sacrifice anything they added more features. Here we are again same type of announcement with "adaptive Tess" and here come the detractors doubting them. Let's take a wait and see approach for this one.

Angst

the lambo is now premium

i1sabhtacft2k8cb6o2k.jpg

Hopefully the Veyron stays standard.

Out of all the screenshots this one seems the most "videogame" looking for anything GT6 release so far.The other screens are more believable.
The lighting in that shot is the same as all the other 'studio' shots. It is also is identical to all GT5 'studio' shots.

So I can only assume you have a problem with the model?

Zaventem

The lighting in that shot is the same as all the other 'studio' shots. It is also is identical to all GT5 'studio' shots.

So I can only assume you have a problem with the model?

I think it has something to do with the tires that are making it look less real.

iGAHSyOKZMxGo.jpg

I don't have a problem with this car,this one looks perfectly fine to me.

pottuvoi

Banned
Tessellation has been around for years, but hasn't been done because its expensive to do. They are going to be sacrificing in places to get this running on the PS3.
It can be expensive, but in some cases it can be cheaper than the alternative.
Some ps2 games used tesselation to get good quality surfaces with smaller memory amount. (IE. SSX for ground)

Some ps2 games used tesselation to get good quality surfaces with smaller memory amount. (IE. SSX for ground)
Yeah. Nintendo also used tessellation for the ocean in Wind Waker. Blew my mind reading about it.

Man

A ton of late-generation PSOne titles used 'tesselation'. You remember textures on those games warping/'swimming' when coming close to the screen? That's due to the pseudo 3D nature of the system. Later in the generation the developers made routines for splitting up the polygons into several smaller polygons the closer they got to the screen to prevent texture warping (less noticeable on smaller surfaces).

With respect, is there any information out there to what, specifically, "adaptive tessellation" is in GT6? I see this thread, and people excited for it as a feature, and no one able to answer what it actually is. It strikes me as exactly why people make fun of the excitement for GDDR5 with no basis in what fast ram actually achieves.

I'm not clear, if it's actually tessellation, why it wouldn't be called that. And what detail we have describes precalculated LOD variation, which is a different process.
Its been explained just like GDDR5 has been explained its dumbass fanboys with their heads shoved up their asses choose to ingore it so they can troll

With respect, is there any information out there to what, specifically, "adaptive tessellation" is in GT6? I see this thread, and people excited for it as a feature, and no one able to answer what it actually is. It strikes me as exactly why people make fun of the excitement for GDDR5 with no basis in what fast ram actually achieves.

I'm not clear, if it's actually tessellation, why it wouldn't be called that. And what detail we have describes precalculated LOD variation, which is a different process.

It's very much Tessellation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57765768&postcount=84

Look at the highest LOD. Their photomode before didn't have that much "detail" (smoothness) because they couldn't tessellate it.

It had a single switch to a terrible quality model.

It had several. Photomode has proof of this. Open up in track photo mode when a lot of cars are in your relative area (and even a bit farther off). If you pan to the cars near you, their LOD's are higher than the ones farther off. Example. The ones with the absolute garbage dash boards are the ones with lower LODs. You can even see more "edges."

Holy shit those load times are amazingly short! I hope they're not cheating by using SDD's in the preview.

It's not much different from GT5 considering there is only 1 car.

It had a single switch to a terrible quality model.

I'm not sure if this is a joke on standard cars or not, but pretty sure it had more. You can see simple changes during gameplay when getting closer to cars, (most noticable in the license plates) just a few meters away, and more further away.

Just like self-shadowing went? I'll wait for some direct feed over zoomed offscreen before jumping to conclusions.

Top Bottom