• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 Ships 70 Million Copies

juventino

Banned
Ok. The best of the best ship 70 million copies and are the highest reviewed games of two generations. Opinions are opinions, but quantifiable data showing otherwise is hard to argue with.

The Witcher 3 is a superior game. Just because I sold 70 million chocolate covered turds doesn't mean they're good. Rockstar has financial muscle and great marketing. Yes GTA V is a good game, but the best of all time, get real. Rockstar has the money and resources to put all the bells and whistles they want into a game, but there are many games that are superior in story and gameplay than GTA V

Recreat3

Jeez. Combine this with digital sales and i think it would be close to 85-90million? Or is that way too high of an estimate. I imagine a lot of people double or even triple dipped this game. I know i did, couldnt resis thalf price digital on xb1.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this game's longevity. Is it a Minecraft-esque situation, where people just obsessively tinker around in GTA Online, and there's a whole world in there I don't even know about?

Horns

The Witcher 3 is a superior game. Just because I sold 70 million chocolate covered turds doesn't mean they're good. Rockstar has financial muscle and great marketing. Yes GTA V is a good game, but the best of all time, get real. Rockstar has the money and resources to put all the bells and whistles they want into a game, but there are many games that are superior in story and gameplay than GTA V

Never said it was the best game of all time. I said the best of last generation. You bringing up the Witcher 3 only shows you're not paying attention.

gtj1092

Jeez. Combine this with digital sales and i think it would be close to 85-90million? Or is that way too high of an estimate. I imagine a lot of people double or even triple dipped this game. I know i did, couldnt resis thalf price digital on xb1.

This includes digital sales.

Putty

Its simply the greatest open world game thats ever been imo. R* simply does what no others do. The attention to detail boggles the mind...I am also going to pick it up again...Imagine a Pro version 😮

A few games take most of the money from market, not healthy, not good for diversity.

As well as GTA5 sells, I don;t really think that it takes away sales from other games. Personally I think GTAV is one of those "me too" titles. It is a system seller still for game consoles, and it is a wishlist game on the PC for those who are interesting in buying a gaming PC, upgrading or building. It is one of those games that still makes a great showpiece for new owners. The game on Steam still has incredible legs and shows up in the top 10 sellers all the time.

This game is gonna reach 100 million, isn't it? wow

All of these sales while the game has never really been at a low price. I can only imagine how much the numbers go up once the game reaches below 20.

Possibly, this is how its sales have been tracking

October 2013 - 29m
August 2014 - 34m
December 2014 - 45m
August 2015 - 54m
February 2016 - 60m
May 2016 - 65m
November 2016 - 70m

Have Rockstar said if they're gonna add any PS4Pro/Scorpio enhancements to GTAV? I could see that, in addition to another price drop to sub-$30, push it over.

sw26

Reminds me that I really need to replay the game soon. Absolutely adored it on PS3 as a long time fan of the series and double dipped on PS4 when it came out but have never found the time to replay it.

Well deserved success, and the numbers are truly staggering when you look at reported numbers for the rest of the series.

reKon

Banned
And the game is just starting to consistently hit $20-$30 sales. It's scary that it sold so much at higher prices. I'm currently playing through it on my PS4 and I'm enjoying it. It's just so damn big of a game! I definitely plan on double dipping on steam.

RocknRola

It's insane. When you consider the average retail price (only recently have seen it reach 40€ and 30€ and thats with in-store promotions too!), it's really insane that one game could sell this much.

I mean th only real comparable example is Minecraft and that cost some 20€ during most of it's existance..

Extremely undeserved.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

RocknRola

I want to live in a world where sleeping dogs sales beats the crap outta this game.

Sleeping Dogs doesn't really deserve these sort of sales :p Outside of style, it does everything kinda poorly when compared to GTA, in my opinion.

Played it back on the PS3 (not sure if the PS4 versions makes any gameplay changes).

Has this game made multiple billions in revenue now? I guess it must have.

I think we learnt a while back that they've made 2.5 billion from sales (not sure if that's profit or revenue) and T2 have made 0.5 billion from GTA Online (I assume it has some kind of microtransactions).

A few games take most of the money from market, not healthy, not good for diversity.

I don't buy this argument at all. There is tones of diversity in the industry. They can't all be blockbusters. People want to buy and play this game. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. But they keep buying and playing it.

Bluth54

This game is gonna reach 100 million, isn't it? wow

I doubt it, they've probably pretty much saturated the market at this point.

It will probably sell a few million more on consoles and PC, and a possible Switch port could move some more units but I can't see that many more sales at this point.

Cream rises and prople buy what they like, its pooular because its good and the online pulls people in.

Issue is there are not enough competing products of comparable quality.

wapplew

Sleeping Dogs doesn't really deserve these sort of sales :p Outside of sales, it does everything kinda poorly when compared to GTA, in my opinion.

Played it back on the PS3 (not sure if the PS4 versions makes any gameplay changes).

That's the problem. Games have to be the best of it's genre to take all the money. First place get 70m, second to fifth best get the rest, everything below can't sustain.
Sleeping Dogs doesn't deserve 70m, maybe cut 2m from GTA5 and give it to Sleeping Dogs, we might still have United front games.

RocknRola

That's the problem. Games have to be the best of it's genre to take all the money. First place get 70m, second to fifth best get the rest, everything below can't sustain.
Sleeping Dogs doesn't deserve 70m, maybe cut 2m from GTA5 and give it to Sleeping Dogs, we might still have United front games.

Dang it, wrote sales twice when I meant to write style lol

Anyway, yeah, I didn't mean to say Sleeping Dogs didn't deserve some sales. Hell, the more the better, it could even do 70 million if the market was up for it. I had fun with it, even if I found it somewhat flawed.

What I meant was that reaching 70 million for it would be truly undeserved when compared to a game like GTA5 IMO. No that it can't or shouldn't.

Fdkn

Software sales are not a zero sum game. Sleeping Dogs underperformed because not enough people was interested (specially at high prices) but it's not GTA's fault.

Top Bottom