• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V 360: 2 discs, install from Disc 1 play from Disc 2. PS3: 1 disc, 8GB install

RayMaker

Banned
It will because of the Blu ray read speed which is the same reason there have been PS3 exclusive games with mandatory installs.

MGS4 didn't require an install because the 360 uses DVDs.....

Yeah it will be for the BR speeds, but R* had to do the game on the PS3 as well as the 360. with the game being so massive they needed a solution for the 8.5gb space limited on the the 360's dvd's so instead of just putting the game on 2 discs and not require any sought of install on the 360, they probably thought we might as well have the install mandatory for both platforms so we can use the advantages of having 8gb stored on the HD, the game world being so massive and complex the game may require the install just to make it work..........

I hope the game isn't as muddy and blurry as GTA IV. From what we've seen, so far it looks great, but so did GTA IV before it released...

I hope the game isn't as muddy and blurry as GTA IV. From what we've seen, so far it looks great, but so did GTA IV before it released...

Not exactly.

grand-theft-auto-iv-20070806024246285-2078875.jpg

grand-theft-auto-iv-20070627011923458-2034133.jpg

Sethos

Banned

Screenshots and video was pretty much identical with what we got, unless you had the PS3 version than ran 640p and some horrid PPAA

The ones I posted are also official shots, albeit from an earlier build. Rockstar's games tend to show improvements over time. IV looked fucking awful in the early shots, and while it's arguable that the final game isn't exactly great-looking either, it's an improvement. Which could be the case for V as well. Oh, and the shots you posted are pretty much representative of the final game. They aren't bullshots, they show that nasty-ass blur filter pretty well.

MormaPope

Banned
What carries GTA IV graphically are the human animations and car damage modeling, along with buildings being pretty realistically scaled. Animation are more important to me personally than textures or image quality.

RayMaker

Banned
The ones I posted are also official shots, albeit from an earlier build. Rockstar's games tend to show improvements over time. IV looked fucking awful in the early shots, and while it's arguable that the final game isn't exactly great-looking either, it's an improvement. Which could be the case for V as well. Oh, and the shots you posted are pretty much representative of the final game. They aren't bullshots, they show that nasty-ass blur filter pretty well.

The shots you posted are not on the official site, anyhow this debate started from someone syaing ''GTA4 looked better in screenshots then the actual game'' and since all we had from GTA5, is official shots, the shots of GTA4 on R* websites do look better then the actual game, so yeti could be right and GTA5 could look worse than pictures, infact this has already been confirmed on GTA 5 O clock where they said the game has more jaggies than the pics.

The shots you posted are not on the official site, anyhow this debate started from someone syaing ''GTA4 looked better in screenshots then the actual game'' and since all we had from GTA5, is official shots, the shots of GTA4 on R* websites do look better then the actual game.

It doesn't matter if they're on the official site, they're still shots distributed by Rockstar. Therefore, they're official.

And regarding your main point, apart from possibly the resolution of the screenshots, they look almost identical to the final game, warts and all.

RayMaker

Banned
It doesn't matter if they're on the official site, they're still shots distributed by Rockstar. Therefore, they're official.

And regarding your main point, apart from possibly the resolution of the screenshots, they look almost identical to the final game, warts and all.

that was my point! and your pics look worse then GTA4 to me,

and your opinion falls flat on its face when every shot on R*'s website of GTA4 looks better then gameplay.

you really think GTA5 gameplay will look like this on your tv?

lefantome

Gta IV had fantastic graphics in 2008 despite being ruined by the shittiest iq i have ever seen this gen.

All the screenshot showed these problems but that didn't save me from disappointment on day one. Anyway what the game showed from detail to physics was awesome and still on the top.

MercuryLS

Banned
Some of the footage in the last trailers looks too good to be from the PS3/360. I honestly think R* mixed in some PC/Next-gen footage. I hope we get a next-gen version early-mid 2014.

MercuryLS

Banned

and your opinion falls flat on its face when every shot on R*'s website of GTA4 looks better then gameplay.

Sure it will
on PS4

Alienous

At that resolution, natively?

Why not?

I've always played GTA on a PS platform (dualshock lover), this one will be no different. Debating if i'll hold off this time though...for the PS4 announcement

Isn't the PS3 the lead platform for GTA 5?

No need for a lead platform as there is minimal porting involved. RAGE engine is well established on all platforms based on what we saw with Max Payne 3.

Now the reason why R* is demoing GTA5 on the PS3 is another story. Either it has to do with an agreement with Sony or R* is putting their best foot forward and demoing it on the better system or both.

What I have noticed is:

GTA4 was demoed mostly on 360...which ended up being the better version.
RDR was demoed mostly on 360...which ended up being the better version.
L.A. Noire was demoed mostly on PS3...which ended up being the better version.
Max Payne 3 was demoed mostly on PC (w/ a 360 controller)...which ended up being the better version.

Draw your conclusion for GTA5.

Yerolo

This is great info. I was umm'ing and ahhh'ing about which platform to get it on as I hate the Dualshock 2 and I feared disc swapping during gameplay on the xbox

The xbox version will be superior if previous Rock* games are anything to go by, I think this just cemented my decision to get it for the 360

This is great info. I was umm'ing and ahhh'ing about which platform to get it on as I hate the Dualshock 2 and I feared disc swapping during gameplay on the xbox

The xbox version will be superior if previous Rock* games are anything to go by, I think this just cemented my decision to get it for the 360

Luckily for you its on PS3 with the Dualshock 3. :3

Erasus

Again?

Yes, GTA4 and RDR looks bad on PS3 due to low resolution, but with Max Payne 3 they are both 720p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-max-payne-3-face-off

There are better AA solutions now on PS3, like MLAA that runs on the SPUs to free up that pos RSX to get up to 720p.
Or they might use FXAA3, thats cheap but blurs the image a bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digital-foundry-future-of-anti-aliasing

Official shots look a lot better
If you guys are going to bitch graphics, at least compare screenshots from the same period.
It's not even the same Niko character model!

One was from earlier in production (pre-delay) and the other was from a near release build.
Not surprisingly, the latter looks much better.

GTA IV still looks great in many aspects, imo. The parts that don't are examples of laziness/incompetence/age of engine, the rest is just opportunity cost.

These games don't run on magic.

Demon Ice

Banned
I expect both versions to look the same.

It's nice to have faith, I suppose, but that is literally the most PR-ific answer to a question you could come up with.

I'll be waiting for the PC version for this, or at the very least a Digital Foundry report saying the PS3 version is good, I have no room on my miniscule 360 HDD and the PS3 version of GTA IV was a bit too janky for my tastes.

Rockstar please for the love of god port this game over to PS4/XB1.

I'm happy that they managed to get this game on current gen consoles but seriously just give me a 1080p 60fps PS4 version of this shit and I will be there day one.

On topic though: I assume the game will look better on 360 after my experiences with RDR and GTA4 but I would love to be proven wrong.

Cool for 360 owners. Two things:

-didn't Lords of Shadow try this and MS said no?

-Hope the initial disc 1 install saves the data to the HDD and we don't have two GTAV boxes in the games' list!

jfoul

I'll probably get this on PC, or hopefully on PS4. I think we will hear something about a PS4/XB1 version a couple months after everybody gives Rockstar their money on current consoles.

Bittercup

Max Payne 3 PS3 is 720p but it drops a ton of effects compared to the PC and 360 versions to get there.
Not sure where you get the "drops a ton of effects" from. Foliage is reduced, in one cutscene a water splash is missing and in another the lights were on the wrong side which was a glitch that only happend when you restarted the checkpoint and else worked properly (digital foundry updated the article). The rest seems pretty much on par.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-max-payne-3-face-off

PS3 version it is, then. Hated this shit on Mass Effect 3.

EDIT: Oh, I mean, um...witty first post.

DOUBLE EDIT: OK I probably should have read the OP. This isn't a problem at all.
Biggest fail first post ever? I thought not reading the OP was a bannable offense.

Rockstar please for the love of god port this game over to PS4/XB1.

I'm happy that they managed to get this game on current gen consoles but seriously just give me a 1080p 60fps PS4 version of this shit and I will be there day one.

On topic though: I assume the game will look better on 360 after my experiences with RDR and GTA4 but I would love to be proven wrong.
Like 90% of exclusive 360/PS3 games coming out, this will eventually come to the Xbone/PS4. Late next year would be a good time frame.

I'm going to deliberately buy the worse performing version, then come on gaming age and explain how it's actually the best version.

I'm more concerned about aim and fire being on L2/R2 again.

I'm pretty worried about this, too. Or, rather, for GTA V's shooting controls in general. GTA IV had that awful pressure-sensitive system where you had to hold the left trigger halfway in to free aim and all the way to lock on, and then for some reason you could also pull the right trigger in halfway to aim and all the way to shoot. And don't get me started on shooting from cover, where every time you pulled the right trigger Niko would have to stand up and aim first, so you had to sit down and stand up again between every burst of gunfire.

I know they're just doing Max Payne 3's shooting system this time, but I hope they don't get any bizarre ideas again. Left trigger just needs to be aim/not aim, right trigger shoot/not shoot. Binary actions, like all modern shooting games - no need to reinvent the wheel. Also L1 and R1 on the PS3, plskthnx.

Dabanton

Using Max Payne 3 as a indication of parity would be dangerous. Max Payne 3 is a much more locked off game to what were expecting with GTAV with loading hidden within copious cutscenes.

This is the sort of game where it will come down to controller preferences for most multi console owners.

Dabanton

I'm pretty worried about this, too. Or, rather, for GTA V's shooting controls in general. GTA IV had that awful pressure-sensitive system where you had to hold the left trigger halfway in to free aim and all the way to lock on, and then for some reason you could also pull the right trigger in halfway to aim and all the way to shoot. And don't get me started on shooting from cover, where every time you pulled the right trigger Niko would have to stand up and aim first, so you had to sit down and stand up again between every burst of gunfire.

I know they're just doing Max Payne 3's shooting system this time, but I hope they don't get any bizarre ideas again. Left trigger just needs to be aim/not aim, right trigger shoot/not shoot. Binary actions, like all modern shooting games - no need to reinvent the wheel. Also L1 and R1 on the PS3, plskthnx.

That was a learning experience for them.

Think back to how GTA games used to handle shooting it was a damm mess. practically broken in most cases.

GTA:IV was better,RDR was fantastic and Max Payne 3 is still the best third person shooting system out imo.

Sethos

Banned
Using Max Payne 3 as a indication of parity would be dangerous. Max Payne 3 is a much more locked off game to what were expecting with GTAV with loading hidden within copious cutscenes.

This is the sort of game where it will come down to controller preferences for most multi console owners.

Plus Max Payne 3 was made by a Rockstar studio that had nothing to do with GTA or RDR, so optimization wise you can't compare them like that either. However I do expect them them to be close.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That was a learning experience for them.

Think back to how GTA games used to handle shooting it was a damm mess. practically broken in most cases.

GTA:IV was better,RDR was fantastic and Max Payne 3 is still the best third person shooting system out imo.

Amen.gif

Plus Max Payne 3 was made by a Rockstar studio that had nothing to do with GTA or RDR, so optimization wise you can't compare them like that either. However I do expect them them to be close.

I always thought they brought in staff from other studios as well? I'm sure they brought in a few R* North dudes to help out/advise on some parts of RDR.

Screenshots and video was pretty much identical with what we got, unless you had the PS3 version than ran 640p and some horrid PPAA

Dude, I've read this whole thread and in my opinion you wouldn't know jack shit if it wasn't for some outside party pointing out the differences. The ps3 version of rdr was not exact to the 360, who gives a flying fuck!!!!!! Try telling me some other differences that may have popped up that didn't get posted in that DF article, can you? I have both versions because I thought one would be better, and the ps3 may not be as sharp, but it is not as harsh either. Can you afford to put the two side by side and say to the best of your ability that the 360 version is head and shoulders above the ps3? Or do you just jump on message boards trying to show off your internet dick by quoting other peoples articles......

Looking forward to this game as well DO NOT CARE WHAT PLATFORM!!!!

Top Bottom