• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V on PS4/X1 Review Thread

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
So if I go mountain biking, and I go tumbling down hill. Will FPS stay or switch to third? Cause first person tumbling, while a bit disorienting, sounds hilarious.

Examples that prove that it doesn't automatically switch to third person:

EDIT: And then there's this NOPE.gif

yaLpDD.gif

I've had gta 5 since friday on Xbox one. Single player was fine until the day one patch released last night! Now can't even load the game!!! Crashes to dashboard right after launching. Another broken game. I'm not the only one having these issues!!

Raptomex

I've had gta 5 since friday on Xbox one. Single player was fine until the day one patch released last night! Now can't even load the game!!! Crashes to dashboard right after launching. Another broken game. I'm not the only one having these issues!!
I don't know if I can feel bad. You played the game before it was out, even before the patch. Can this really be a valid complaint?

I don't know if I can feel bad. You played the game before it was out, even before the patch. Can this really be a valid complaint?

Not asking for anyone to feel bad. Just giving a heads up seems to be an Xbox one issue. Can't get online or singleplayer due to crashes.

If you can't start a game you paid money for (regardless of when it was purchased), Id say that was a very valid complaint.

Raptomex

Of course. He can't play it now! It's broken.

Not asking for anyone to feel bad. Just giving a heads up seems to be an Xbox one issue. Can't get online or singleplayer due to crashes.
Can you delete any save files and restart without an issue?
If you can't start a game you paid money for (regardless of when it was purchased), Id say that was a very valid complaint.
The game was played before the day one patch. The patch broke the save I'm guessing. So if you are able to delete any saved GTA V games on your console, relaunch the game, is there still a problem? Then maybe there could be a serious issue.

Pagusas

Elden Member
One of the reviews brought up a good point, GTA can't go back to 3rd person only without feeling inadequate now. I wonder how this will affect the designing of GTA6

That makes no sense. Not using the highest score on the scale would just turn the next score down, in this case a 9, into the new "perfect score."

A 10/10 simply means its the best game doing what it does at that particular moment in time, in that particular reviewer's opinion.

Agreed. Especially bold.

Raptomex

One of the reviews brought up a good point, GTA can't go back to 3rd person only without feeling inadequate now. I wonder how this will affect the designing of GTA6
I agree with this. But I get the feeling they may do this with future games. People will complain, and Rockstar will blow us away again anyway.

Ishan

what the heck does Imba mean?

imbalanced its from dota. Essentially its used the same way as sick is when saying something is going to be great if used for praise or sometimes just in the general sense of imbalanced from a gameplay perspective.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone saying a 10 does not mean perfection... what are you on about?

A 9.9 doesn't mean perfection, a 10 DOES.
No discussion possible, that's how it is.

Reviews can be such a joke.

that isn't 10/10, thats basically 100/100 just using fractions. I think the Metro uses simple 1-10 whole numbers and a 10 is completely fine to represent a fantastic game. It can also still get a 10 with a few niggles, especially subjective ones like the characters not having any redeeming features or a meandering plot - ymmv etc.

BigDug13

Hopefully they just look at this version where they got both perspectives right as far as gameplay, and just go from there.

Can you lock on target in first person mode?

Yes, they've got 3 targeting modes for FPS. Lock on, assisted, and free aim.

I'm going to try playing with Free Aim... but the problem is that there's always times in Rockstar games when free aim just doesn't work well. In RDR, it was when you were on a horse and had 8 guys coming from every direction. In GTA, it's because the enemy firepower is deadly and your guy goes down with just a couple shots... also mixing in motorcycle or car gunplay against people standing, and it becomes very difficult... Especially because being in a car is a major handicap.

Though I may be jaded by GTA Online's gunplay, where NPCs had ridiculously strong bullets and deadly precise aim from any distance.

I guess I'll have to wait on the DF article to see the differences between PS4 & X1. I bought it for PS4 but I'd rather have it on X1 since I could snap tv while I played.

Disagree about bolded. GTA:SA main storyline was good. Sure, it was a cliche of "inner city hood story" from the 90s in every hip hop song or movie, but it was better than what they did with IV and V. It had a beginning, middle, and end. It had a bad guy that you cared about and a logical reason for doing the things that you did (mostly). The side stuff was silly and over the top, but that's fine for side stuff.

I agree that the GTAV storyline is mostly crap.

The middle of SA had no direction though. I'll give you the opening Los Santos as being the best of GTA's stories if we cut it up. But everything after that is all of over the place, and they only link it back to the main plot thread at bit part moments and at the very end.

You're right about the bad guy though. Tenpenny, theme tune to go with it, GTAIV and V never gave such a vibe as that.

hbkdx12

The middle of SA had no direction though. I'll give you the opening Los Santos as being the best of GTA's stories if we cut it up. But everything after that is all of over the place, and they only link it back to the main plot thread at bit part moments and at the very end.

And to think i was the only one who felt this way. The story pretty much shits the bed once CJ leaves Los Santos. The things he was doing in San Fierro and Las Venturras didn't fit with the character at all. I feel like they did it to appeal to a wider audience so that the story wasn't just 10 hrs of boyz in the hood. It's the main reason i don't really care for San Andreas and prefer Vice City

PrinceKee

I'm really interested in the differences between the PS4 and X1 version to help make my decision in which version to get. Looks like most media outlets only received the PS4 version...

And to think i was the only one who felt this way. The story pretty much shits the bed once CJ leaves Los Santos. The things he was doing in San Fierro and Las Venturras didn't fit with the character at all. I feel like they did it to appeal to a wider audience so that the story wasn't just 10 hrs of boyz in the hood. It's the main reason i don't really care for San Andreas and prefer Vice City

Despite my criticism of the story losing its head, I actually like the weird missions that come during that chunk of the game, especially the Toreno arc. It adds to the "scope" of the game feeling so large, you're going all over different cities and environments doing quite a variety of missions.

A Rockstar dev just read this and said "Doh! Why didn't we what the hell we missed this!!!"

Hahaha patch incoming?

I think this game will be my first full price double dip.

That's what R* does to us man.

dork

Banned
Yes, it is. If you have to create a new character you'll be grinding for money again.

I have never played the online in GTAV, is it just races or is there deathmatch? Or is it just freeroam. I dont know if its worth jumping in if everyone gets to move there character over and im a year behind

I'm actually really interested in this since I hardly played the xbox 360 version. I wonder if I can hold out for for the PC version or if I'll just cave and buy the PS4 bundle. Hopefully there aren't too big of differences between the xbox one and ps4 version so I can just get the Xbox one version since I already own it.

RamBoleyn

Banned
Anyone saying a 10 does not mean perfection... what are you on about?

A 9.9 doesn't mean perfection, a 10 DOES.
No discussion possible, that's how it is.

Reviews can be such a joke.
Give your favourite game a "perfect" 10 and watch the disagreements roll in.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think its safe to say the PS4 one will be bit better

hmm I dont know, was destiny, COD AW, Unity runs significantly better on PS4? Even with the higher PS4 resolution, fps are consistent on both version for those games.

frizby

I'm really interested in the differences between the PS4 and X1 version to help make my decision in which version to get. Looks like most media outlets only received the PS4 version...

I guess I'll have to wait on the DF article to see the differences between PS4 & X1. I bought it for PS4 but I'd rather have it on X1 since I could snap tv while I played.

What exactly are you expecting to happen here?

Don't you think the outlets would be given the better version for review?

Absent an Xbox marketing arrangement, the PS4 version of any multiplat being slightly better is basically a given, and even with an Xbox marketing agreement, it's still quite likely.

Top Bottom