• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V on PS4/X1 Review Thread

Seik

Banned
Sounds like a solid job, my copy shipped yesterday and I can't freaking wait to do the game all over again! :D

I was thinking the same thing about the first-person driving mode... similar to most interior modes, even Driveclub. I never use the interior cam in Driveclub when I actually care about racing. But for having fun and immersion, it's incredible. GTAV maybe will be the same way... I mean there's a lot of lost FOV. It's hard to see inside. But I don't think that's the point. Hood cam (is there still hood cam even?) is for control and third-person driving is for view -- interior cams are always a bit of a gameplay-for-immersion sort of thing. I mean, that's a bit of the point... it's a tough balance to want to show as much FOV of the road as possible but still show the interior.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wonder if this PS4 reviews only thing is going to be a thing for most multi-plat outlets this gen.

I reckon so, yes. It's interesting that the only new IP (for MS) that they've had exclusive promotional deals for as we run up to Christmas, is ACU and that turned out to be terrible. And yet the two titles that Sony have marketing deals for FC4 and GTA5, turned out to be brilliant. That says a lot to me.

Kotaku was having a blast with those review gifs

vxosfufj1ybczffh4mlp.gif

tuna_love

Banned
I reckon so, yes. It's interesting that the only new IP (for MS) that they've had exclusive promotional deals for as we run up to Christmas, is ACU and that turned out to be terrible. And yet the two titles that Sony have marketing deals for FC4 and GTA5, turned out to be brilliant. That says a lot to me.
Dragon Age

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Err, I need some advice, GAFfers :

What should I get :

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC/PS4) or GTA V (PS4) ? I can't get both (sorry, whynotboth.gif).

If you've already played GTA5 then LBP3, Dragon Age, Farcry 4 and then GTA5
If you haven't played GTA5 then GTA5, LBP3, Dragon Age and then Farcry 4.

That was the best gamespot review I have seen in years!

I am watching the video review right now. I like this little bit of information they dropped:

"The game remembers your personal preference (first person and third person camera) on foot and in vehicles"

Sounds great. The game can automatically shift to third person in car and first person while on foot if you want it to. I can definitely see some of the issues with first person in car mode though, and I don;t see it as being a fault of the game. Just a limitation of the first person view. But it seems like something that could easily be resolved with an Oculus Rift headset. The game looks like it could be the ultimate VR experience.

Auctopus

Gamespot: "The best writing and VA in any video game"

So was the VA and writing upgraded for next-gen too? I love GTA V but saying it has the best writing and VA in any video game just shows a lack of knowledge.

Gamespot: "The best writing and VA in any video game"

So was the VA and writing upgraded for next-gen too? I love GTA V but saying it has the best writing and VA in any video game just shows a lack of knowledge.

I guess people can disagree about the writing, but what game has better VA? It's outstanding.

oneils

Is any site using the Xbone version for a review or will even update with Xbone impressions?

if you are really looking for a comparison or understanding in whether or not the x1 version is as good as the ps4 version, I would wait fir the eurogamer face off. They should have their initial impressions up pretty quickly.

sense

Jesus wept.

A 10/10 is a perfect score though. Honestly, I prefer the way Kotaku reviews games "Should you buy this?" list the good things and bad things and be done with it.

Jesus wept indeed

Anyways can't wait to play this again and try out the heists a different way this time around for my second play through. held off on that coz i knew it would eventually come to ps4.

I guess people can disagree about the writing, but what game has better VA? It's outstanding.
I wouldn't agree about the story but I think it has by far some of the best pure banter, writing and acting. Franklin and Lamar are straight out of the film Friday, and Michael and Trevor had some amazing body language/facial expression scenes. Very aware, subtle, and sharp dry wit, too.

Some of the best since Final Fantasy XII (again, subpar story but incredible facial expressions, acting, dialogue).

I am watching the video review right now. I like this little bit of information they dropped:

"The game remembers your personal preference (first person and third person camera) on foot and in vehicles"

Sounds great. The game can automatically shift to third person in car and first person while on foot if you want it to. I can definitely see some of the issues with first person in car mode though, and I don;t see it as being a fault of the game. Just a limitation of the first person view. But it seems like something that could easily be resolved with an Oculus Rift headset. The game looks like it could be the ultimate VR experience.

But there's an FoV slider for FP view, no? I imagine increasing the FoV would really help with driving in FP.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Occasionally, when things got a bit crazy in game. Otherwise, it's a solid performer on PS4.

c'mon man this is gta...define "a bit crazy"

are we talking driving through the city at high speeds

or

exploding an entire road worth of vehicles with RPG's, mini gun and grenades then getting into a fight with police on 5 star level?

Cavalier

Banned
I wish there was a way for the game to automatically use 3rd person camera whenever you enter the vehicle. And when you exit, it returns to 1st person view.

Also, it's a bit hard to believe some of the reviews when they claim it as the best GTA. It's not. The story was very forgettable.

I'm trying to think what sales will be.

Sales will def. be split between a ton of titles so I don't think they will be as high as they would be if this game released on its own, but it will have legs.

Thinking maybe 3m or so on the PS4 over the holidays? I'm sure most owners will buy this at some point or another. I mean GTAV did sell nearly 40,000,000 copies just a year ago so who knows lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wish there was a way for the game to automatically use 3rd person camera whenever you enter the vehicle. And when you exit, it returns to 1st person view.

Also, it's a bit hard to believe some of the reviews when they claim it as the best GTA. It's not. The story was very forgettable.

you can. i saw a stream where they driving a motor bike in first person then when they crashed it switched to third person.

Top Bottom