• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V on PS4/X1 Review Thread

Dark_castle

1368113726727fcutw.gif

Anyone saying a 10 does not mean perfection... what are you on about?

A 9.9 doesn't mean perfection, a 10 DOES.
No discussion possible, that's how it is.

Reviews can be such a joke.

No game could ever possibly be "perfect". There will always be room for improvement.

But whatever, it doesn't matter.

bj00rn_

Banned
If the somewhat pat dialogue, misogynistic leads, poor representations of women and frequent hard violence didn't appeal before, they won't now.

This is presented as a negative. But just because the world should be perfect doesn't mean that reality is always so.. And there's no rule that says that fiction has to be politically correct, nor that you have to like or see the appeal in what fictional character do in a story to enjoy the experience. I enjoy watching WWII documentaries but that doesn't mean that I find the holocaust "appealing".. So I'm not sure what the point is here.

"...misogynistic leads, poor representations of women..."

Well, thank God only one gender suffered this fate...

lol, yeah, sometimes people go into these traps without even noticing it.

What's with this new 'review in progress' trend? I think the first time I saw it was a few weeks ago and it seems to be catching on.

What's up with the "review in-progress" that's been popping up lately?

Anyway, can't say I'm surprised with the positive feedback. A little interested to see how bad the frame drops are.

Google search stuff. You get your review-in-progress up, people read it and share it, but you don't have to worry about giving it a final score. Then when you finish the review, you just add your final thoughts and the score. Same article.

Essentially, the business stuff means people at least want something up on embargo.

Metro 10/10, then names faults.

Then how the hell is it a perfect game??

10/10 doesn't mean perfect. You think every 5-star movie is perfect?
Anyone saying a 10 does not mean perfection... what are you on about?

A 9.9 doesn't mean perfection, a 10 DOES.
No discussion possible, that's how it is.

Reviews can be such a joke.

Joke post? Metro doesn't do decimal points, so it's safe to assume they've rounded up the score to 10 from anywhere between 9.5-9.9. Happy now?

Wil348

IGN mentioned an install, is that just installing the disc version like every other PS4 game? If so, then nevermind, I've gone digital.

Percy

Banned
That last gen framerate. I think I'll keep waiting for the PC version thanks.

Can't help but laugh at the glowing reviews from sites like Metro and Gamespot who seemed to be going out of their way in recent times to give more "critical" reviews to games though. Guess when it really comes down to it the advertiser's dollar is the most critical consideration of them all.

Eidan

Can't help but laugh at the glowing reviews from sites like Metro and Gamespot who seemed to be going out of their way in recent times to give more "critical" reviews to games though. Guess when it really comes down to it the advertiser's dollar is the most critical consideration of them all.

GTAV is a great game. Were you hoping for lower scores?

Even so, a 10 is a perfect score on a rating of 10.

I don't want to argue or piss people off, GTA is the best in the genre, but if it has problems its not a 10/10 game.

There is no such thing as a perfect game, you can pick flaws in anything if you try hard enough. That doesn't mean that all critics should avoid awarding games a 10 and just use a 1-9 scale instead. 10 means a masterpiece, and a masterpiece can still have its imperfections.

So is an 11/10 a perfect game?

It is one higher than perfection.

I don't want to argue or piss people off, GTA is the best in the genre, but if it has problems its not a 10/10 game.

What does the scoring scale of the website state (who gave GTA 10/10)? I am sure they do not state 10/10 is perfection. It can still have faults.

bj00rn_

Banned
There is no such thing as a perfect game, you can pick flaws in anything if you try hard enough. That doesn't mean that all critics should avoid awarding games a 10 and just use a 1-9 scale instead. 10 means a masterpiece, and a masterpiece can still have its imperfections.

Yeah, we've had this discussion many times, and the consensus is always the same (perfect score does not mean perfect game (flawless)). Don't know why people want to regurgitate this here, it's a bland discussion.

leadbelly

Banned

From the videos I've seen, it really doesn't seem like last gen framerate. Last gen GTA V had a lot of framerate drops. It seems solid for most of the time on PS4. The first review seems to indicate that as well

I know the one big question many GTA fans are waiting for me to answer right now: is GTA 5 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One worth buying again, for a full $60, if you already own it on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360? Sadly, that’s not a question any reviewer can answer for you. If you already own GTA 5, you’re the only one who can decide whether a prettier, better-performing version of the same game is worth paying for twice, and whether you even have enough HDMI ports on your TV to support keeping your old-gen console plugged in to go back and play the old version. You have to ask yourself if that experience is one you’d want to repeat, or if you’d rather move onto one of the many new games that’ve come out since.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

So you're saying that if a game was, in your opinion, the best ever out of the tens of thousands of games out there, that you wouldn't give it a 10? Even on a no-decimal scale? I'm pretty sure you are. I just want to be clear on this.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People think a 10 is a perfect game? The fuck is wrong with y'all, that is not how subjective reviews work.

You rate your overall playing experience on a ten or five point scale. That's it. A perfect game is impossible.

Top Bottom