• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V on PS4/X1 Review Thread

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
from people playing the game (not reviewers from gaming sites) they said the frame rate was pretty smooth and only slightly dipped when there were lots of explosions. one guy also said he never seen any noticeable drop in about 20 hours of playing.

if it's smooth 99% of the time i'm happy. i don't mind it dropping during explosions/blowing loads of cars up. i just dont want it dropping when driving fast or through the city.

Memnoch

Kotaku "review" with a lot of gifs.

http://kotaku.com/yes-you-should-play-the-new-version-of-gta-v-1659433742

arlbtvsdjeyqdo5ove0g.gif
Man this review just convinced me to get it on ps4, but oh my back log!

IGN Italia: 10/10

+ Graphics up to date
+ More music, more animation, more content
+ Great work on the first person perspective

- First person is well implemented, but not always perfect

The best version of one of the best games of the past generation. With lots of added details, new content, updated graphics and an interesting (albeit not perfect) first-person view, this is hands down the GTA V we'll give to the history books.

I am so envious of people who get to play this for the first time tomorrow. I have to wait until January but I wish I could have my memory wiped of the game. Experiencing all of GTA V again would be a gaming dream; the multiple characters and heists were/are a stroke of genius.

I am still wowed at how it was running on old hardware. I know the frame rate was poor but I was able to play it without feeling too bothered.

I couldn't stand the story in V, but will probably dip into this again solely for the promise of future single-player DLCs.

Maybe online heists will be fun also.

KainXVIII

from people playing the game (not reviewers from gaming sites) they said the frame rate was pretty smooth and only slightly dipped when there were lots of explosions. one guy also said he never seen any noticeable drop in about 20 hours of playing.

if it's smooth 99% of the time i'm happy. i don't mind it dropping during explosions/blowing loads of cars up. i just dont want it dropping when driving fast or through the city.

But will you be happy if one console perfoming better than another (and you don't have that one)?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jesus wept.

A 10/10 is a perfect score though. Honestly, I prefer the way Kotaku reviews games "Should you buy this?" list the good things and bad things and be done with it.

"120fps is nice, but 144fps would be better. 9.8."

Eurogamer Spain: 10/10

Grand Theft Auto V is still playing in another league, light years ahead of the vast majority of games that you can find on the market today. The version for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is more of the same, of course, even better. Much better. Part of a very solid foundation - one of the best titles of the last generation, which is not bad - but it is full of small changes that round out the experience.

leadbelly

Banned

This review also mentions the framerate.

I haven't played the Xbox One version yet, but the PS4 version of the game runs at what feels to me like a solid 30fps frame-rate. There are probably some dips when things get wild on screen, but by and large it feels responsive and satisfying to play, more Destiny than Assassin's Creed Unity.

It seems to confirm that it is solid for most of the time with the occasional dip when things get more hectic on screen.

Toparaman

Banned
Jesus wept.

A 10/10 is a perfect score though. Honestly, I prefer the way Kotaku reviews games "Should you buy this?" list the good things and bad things and be done with it.

When you get a 100 percent on an exam, it doesn't mean you did a perfect job. It just means that you did well enough that to detract points for flaws would be nitpicking.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But will you be happy if one console perfoming better than another (and you don't have that one)?

When did console gamers get so pedantic over minor frame rate drops. There's are pc gamers out there that who can play games at higher setting resolution and sometimes frame rate out there to my current rig. You don't see me and many others have their happiness in the game diminished because such systems exist.

Lutherian

Err, I need some advice, GAFfers :

What should I get :

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC/PS4) or GTA V (PS4) ? I can't get both (sorry, whynotboth.gif).

First off, purely mathematically the meaning of a 10 out of 10 depends on the precision of the scale. With the assumption that the scale starts at 1, a 10 means...

• 1.0 precision: Top 10%
  • 0.5 precision: Top 5%
  • 0.1 precision: Top 1%
Second, that top x% is a pretty undefined term. It is obviously subjective because a game that used to rate a 10 years ago won't do so today. Tastes and the average technical proficiency of games change over time.

All this boils down to the fact that a 10/10 can have many different meanings. For me it means that a game marks a significant milestone in gaming. It is a best-in-class game that other games will be compared to.

This is the case. Honestly, I felt it ran about as well as the previous version.

I'm going to judge it on what driving really fast feels like, the most common activity in the game. Last gen, when speeding the framerate was definitely in the low 20s and at times perhaps even lower. It was ridiculously bad, felt sluggish.

This time around I'm expecting it to stay a solid 30fps when driving fast.

Raptomex

Are we really discussing the "perfect" nonesense again? It's expected for GTA games at this point. You can't really trust reviews.

The gifs look like Sega CD FMVs.

They are terrible even by .gif standards.

But anyway. The wait for the PC version is going to be so painful. The complaints for this version seem like minor nagging points at best or just holdovers from the PS360 version's (polarizing characters and story).

Top Bottom