• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

STG

I was just grabbing a Car at the side of the road, few seconds later I got this

amanda9wj8g.jpg

this is so random, I love it

Muffdraul

Trevor's Rampage mission against the hipsters takes place in Mirror Park, i.e. parody of Echo Park. As someone who has lived in that area for close to 20 years now and has often fantasized about going on a hipster killing spree, I really, really, REALLY appreciated this touch.

Beaulieu

Trevor's Rampage mission against the hipsters takes place in Mirror Park, i.e. parody of Echo Park. As someone who has lived in that area for close to 20 years now and has often fantasized about going on a hipster killing spree, I really, really, REALLY appreciated this touch.

you seem like a stable person.

My favorite small details so far (sorry if already mentioned!)

1. Rumble strips / sleeper lines at the side of the highway make a great controller rumble!

2. The bridge to the Santa Monica pier has these high curbs that always annoy me when I'm there, because there are so many tourists walking on the sidewalk that I constantly hop from sidewalk to the road and back. The bridge to del perro pier has the same sharp, high curbs!

3. Thermoclines when underwater. So good! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline

Con_Smith

Banned
Bought mike some blue suede shoes. They squeak until he breaks them in.

Have Franklin talk to random blonde npc before switching to another character. Switch back and same npc leaves his house in a taxi.

Aesius

I just love how getting away from the cops is logical and based on how well you can hide.

Doesn't matter if you have one star or four stars, if you can get out of their sight for just a minute and find a great hiding spot, you're good to go.

demolitio

I love the transitions when you switch characters and this one cracked me up: I switched to Michael and he was dropping his son off at a place where he said he was going to get high or something so I was curious as to where he was actually going and got out and followed him on foot. I kept my distance and then hear him yell, "Damn, stalker much?" when I thought for sure he wouldn't notice. I kept following him and he continued to insult me until he started walking faster to get away from me.

It's the little shit that counts. Just like if you talk to a girl at the boardwalk too many times, she'll start to panic and all of a sudden her sexy, confident walk turns into a panicked speed-walk to get away from you as she kind of shakes and looks over from time to time.

There's plenty more of course but those little details and extra dialog are still amazing to me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The fact that there are bird strikes, granted it doesnt take down your aircraft is still pretty cool that its in there.

Wiped out half a flock with the rotors on my heli by accident when I was trying to land at trevors air strip.

shaolinx1

Banned
So after I first got the game, I didn't do any story missions for a good 4 or 5 hours. Just went exploring, all over the map, wanted to see how close everything was to the real thing.

Having lived in LA, Longbeach and Venice for a good portion of my life, and now living in Norcal - I have to say, they got things pretty f'ing close. Honestly, the city feels and looks just like it. The rural part SERIOUSLY reminds me of the rural sections of Norcal with the ponderosa pine trees and tractors riding on the road and such. Even the way the road wraps around the hills as you go further out into the 'boonies' I seriously geek out a little at how close they got everything.

Some of the smaller things I've really noticed, and some fun memorable moments:

Pavement, the way it changes on the highways in the city, from black to grey, to construction zone, and same for in the rural areas, they really got this. Even the way the ambient sound of the tires hitting the different pavement is noticeable.

Construction zones, large number of them when you travel around. Very realistic for LA.

When I first found my house (only had Franklin at the time), some of the gangsters across the street waved and said 'hey Frainklin' so I walked over and listened into their conversation. After a minute, a couple girls standing nearby started cussing at me, and their 'dealer' started pushing me around. I beat him down and the entire gang shanked me. Now whenever I pass by they flip me off or say some random rude comment lol.

I played chicken with a train on a rail road track riding a streetbike, and the train kept blaring its horn over as I barely dodged to the side. Franklin started hooting "Woooo yeah!" lol. It was very realistic in a thrilling way.

I boosted a souped up VW Beetle when I was out in the rural countryside, and a fat lady came running yelling "Don't take my baby!" lol I think she was saying the car was her baby.

The strippers I ended up dating started getting angry when they found out I was cheating on them. This made me laugh for a bit.

When looking for the best cars in town, I had the random Idea to go to the rich neighborhood and looked around in the parking lots. Found a great spot where Dodge Vipers, Audis, Lamborginis and Ferraris (or the game version of them) spawn consistently. When driving home with my prize, all the neighbors started making snide comments to me like I was too good for the hood, or I was in over my head. This made my day.

Hystzen

The dialogue about past GTA games and how they flow

e.g Lamar during the bike repo talking about going to one boss doing jobs for him, falling out then going to another boss for work.

Certinty

When I was flying a jet near the water I accidentally touched the surface and water went into the turbines and they started smoking and after a while the plane died on me. Amazing!

Jb

Going into Michael's room to change clothes and finding the wife with a vibrating dildo. She says something like "Every couple must have boundaries" and throws it on the ground.

I'm doing the 10 day Epsylon costume thing, and every. single. npc says "Kifflom" when going into stores or just pressing right on the D-pad to random people. I guess everyone's in the cult.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I did a prostitute and when she got out of the car she went on her phone and was talking to someone. She said she's almost got enough money for her rent but she's not quite there yet. She said she'd have to come up with some other sort of arrangement.

This prostitute wasn't just some random whore made for the game purely for the player to have sex with. She has a life. She did what she did with me because she's struggling right now. She needs to pay her bills and this is the only way she can. I felt bad for her. I was actually going to kill her and get my money back before I heard that phone conversation. But that phone call made me realise this isn't her fault. Who am I to just murder some girl struggling her way through life who's only doing what she has to to get by? The game made me feel for a random prostitute and made me feel like this random prostitute has a life when I'm gone. That's a little detail that caught me attention.

Trevor brought a golf cart to pick up Lamar.
"Oh snap, of course. What else would yo crazy ass be driving? You fucking weirdo."
:D

Didn't compliment Trevor on his dress though.

Qwell

Some of my favorites...

1/ Two strippers run out of a strip club, Trevor follows a few seconds behind in his underwear.

2/ Trevor throwing a random Lost member off the side of a bridge.

3/ Trevor waking up drunk, on a small island to the east of the main land-mass, in his underwear again, with a bunch of dead bodies around him.

4/ Trevor eating out of a dumpster

5/ Trevor looking for something in the dumpster like above, but then proceeding to snatch a taco/hot dog thing from a passing by pedestrian before shooing him away.
So I just switched to Trevor who was in his trailer jerking off in his toilet, finishes and wipes his hand on the wall.

Wow... I started the game up just a moment ago and loaded up as Franklin walking with Lamar. He wasn't on my radar, so I veered toward's Franklin's place. As I passed a group of gangsters one of them shoved me, at which point they all turned around and started saying stuff.

I ran about 10 feet before turning around and having Franklin respond (he said something like "Hey, how you doin'?". They all turned to face me and more started yelling. This was going to be trouble, because I don't think I had more than just a pistol and they were maybe 8 of them.

Just then, a cop car pulls up from the alley, flashing it's lights and siren for just a moment, which actually scared me because I hadn't seen it creep it. It silently flashed it's red and blues for a moment and then just sat there, sharing the silence with the gangsters. The sirens then blared and the police car took off.

Wanted to chase after it but by the time I got to Franklin's car it was too late. Still, was freakishly awesome. I'm only disappointed that my capture card wasn't recording.

doby

Dunno if its been mentioned, but there's a scottish, english and american flag on the hotel at the beach. Nice homage to the countries the game was developed in.

The bodybuilders working out on the beach. You walk up to them, they threaten you. But if you punch them, they go down in one hit.

Sometimes you will have bruises and scars on your face after leaving the hospital

From what I can tell, cars stopped at stop signs follow the procedure of whoever stopped first get right of way.

MauroNL

I love how they actually made an effort to make every real life car brand knock off car in the game sound like their real life counter part. I grabbed the Viper knock off car, and it exactly sounded like a real Dodge Viper. Same goes for the Corvette like car in GTAV. Can't remember them sounding so life like in GTA IV

joe2187

Banned
When driving through the country side or the towards the city, certain radio stations will cut out with static and switch to a new one. Some radio stations are only available in certain areas. Like the Ultra conservative NPR station in sandy shores.

Wow

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm so tempted to restart this, I feel like I've missed loads of stuff

So I was playing as Trevor and was on the beach when a fat guy walked passed me. I pushed right on the d-pad and Trevor said to him “You’re so fat”. Fat guy: “Oh dear.” I pushed the d-pad again: “No I mean really, you’re HUGE!” He then started to run away screaming as I ran up behind him and killed him with my hammer. It doesn’t seem like a big deal but I was still really impressed and completely engrossed when he actually recognized that he was overweight......the word unbelievable gets thrown around a lot here, but this game truly is unbelievable! O_O

BigDug13

I love how they actually made an effort to make every real life car brand knock off car in the game sound like their real life counter part. I grabbed the Viper knock off car, and it exactly sounded like a real Dodge Viper. Same goes for the Corvette like car in GTAV. Can't remember them sounding so life like in GTA IV

The Prius starting out in battery "silent" mode then switching to engine as your speed increased just like the actual car really impressed me.

satriales

I hit a bird while driving in a car and I can't recall the actual line but Trevor made a comment about it. I was impressed they had specific dialogue for such an unlikely situation.

saunderez

One of my favourites is how a damaged chopper will essentially stall, making flying it a terrifying nightmare. I did 2 return trips from Trevor's airfield to the city in one and every couple of minutes the rotors would stop turning and the chopper would plummet until they finally started up again and I got a bit of lift. Quickly learned to keep a bit more altitude than I normally would when flying a chopper.

saunderez

I hit a bird while driving in a car and I can't recall the actual line but Trevor made a comment about it. I was impressed they had specific dialogue for such an unlikely situation.

I hit a deer and Trevor proclaimed "VENISON FOR EVERYONE!".....Good times.

I nearly cried laughing at the news report about the citys trams project being years over budget and behind schedule. R* are clearly part of the anti-tram movement here in Edinburgh.
With good reason though, the city did dig up the road outside their office for 5 years. The noise and disruption must have been awful.

Top Bottom