• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

I had saved my game in my house (mike)

never had seen my actual family members in the house

loaded game

daughter is doing exercises in front of the TV, which shows a hilarious exercise video about losing fat

man, how many scenes are gonna be missed by people rushing through the story missions I wonder

Fjordson

Was walking Chop around Franklin's neighborhood when a car zoomed past me down the street being chased by two cops. He smashed into a car at the intersection and then smashed into a wall. The guy jumped out and ran down an alley, with the four cops chasing him on foot. I ran over to where he had crashed and you could hear his car beeping because the door had been left open with the keys still in.

I love all the random events like that that happen in the world. There's a much larger variety of them in V than in IV.

Is it me or do you tan when running around barebacked in the desert. I had an incident happen which left trevor naked in his underpants in the desert and after trekking around that desert for a day or two trevor seems to have tanned significantly.

Spat_triate

loaded game

daughter is doing exercises in front of the TV, which shows a hilarious exercise video about losing fat

man, how many scenes are gonna be missed by people rushing through the story missions I wonder

I spent 35 hours just getting to the halfway point and my house was always empty :(

Weapon attachments needed more love. No NVG's/Thermal scopes/Acogs?

I followed some hikers up Mount Chiliad on foot. They actually walked the whole trail, then stopped to take pictures like in the first trailer.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I took Trevor's truck to Los Santos Customs and tricked it out. Off-road wheels, massive engine upgrade and turbo, rollcage, the business.

After that, I end up in a mission for
Mendrazo
where i'm forced to switch to Michael and Trevor goes off on his own, taking his own (now tricked out) truck.

It was then hilarious to see him pull out, completely smash the throttle and crash into nearly everything in the environment, he was knocking down trees, poles and other cars and it looked like he simply couldn't get the car under control. After watching him scream obscenities out of his truck for a minute or two, he finally got going and blasted off into the sunset.

Crazy glitch, maybe, but it was perfect.

Saw this on reddit yesterday

oPMe7Ev.jpg

Fucking LOL.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I love looking around all the cribs and buildings you get access to.
For example, that guy in a wheelchair (forgot his name. Lesley or something?) has action figures everywhere and a carboard box with "Bigfoot" scribbled on it, the latter of which I really loved because of that Bigfoot rumor in GTA SAN andreas. :D

There are almost too many details to list them all. R* really did an awesome job with this one.

A lot of the stuff I've seen's already been mentioned, but one other thing I liked was how when you take out your phone you're not pausing your game. Even if you go on the internet where it's full screen you can hear your radio in the car, or pedestrians walking by or whatever. The clock continues as usual too.

It's just a shame all of these awesome details came at the expense of interiors. That's what I want in GTA 6; I don't care about a giant city because, honestly, Los Santos is already more than big enough for me. I just hope they use all the extra memory to make an accessible city with a ton of buildings you can enter at any time. That's the missing piece to me that prevents the game from feeling like a real city. If you could interact with all these stores, visit/rob people in their home, rampage through office buildings, that would really make it an open world. Just imagine the police shoot outs...

todahawk

Contrails on jets.
Heat shimmers behind the engines on jets.
Appropriate engine noise on jets and prop planes as you dive towards the ground.

Another Trevor touch...
Turn the radio to Vinewood Blvd and the song Cocaine comes on... a few seconds in and Trevor starts to stammer... "I need some cocaine!!!"

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I posted this in the other thread. But I went outside as Michael the other day and this was happening.

The video didn't really capture the sound but Tracey was cursing about her car not acting right or something. I stood there laughing for several minutes. Just so random.

I discovered last night that with the motorcycles, you can turn the handlebars, and while holding them in the desired position, get off the bike, and they'll stay in place. No snapping back to center. Extremely desirable for photographing parked bikes realistically.

Unfortunately, all the cars' steering still snaps back to center immediately upon exiting the vehicle. Not ideal for car photography.

I had the classic rock station on and I was surprised to hear Don Johnson (Miami Vice) singing "Heartbeat". I didn't think anyone else remembered that little gem from the '80s.

UrbanRats

Not sure of it, but i was on the beach at sunset, and as the night came along, i noticed the level of the water rising.
Are there tides in the game?

Recoil

I love when you're driving in the rain first person view, you go under an overpass and it's dry!! Nice touch.

Not just overpasses, but any building/structure with an overhang. (Gas stations too, for instance.)

Granted, this has been done in games before, but absolutely not to this scale, to my knowledge.

Vally

There was a shootout in the desert between the police and some robbers, I decided to take part in it and helped the cops kill the other dudes... the police are all like 'hey good job, you helped us out here' until I grab a bag of cash from the robbers and all of a sudden I got 3 stars, 'THAT IS A PIECE OF EVIDENCE, STOP RIGHT NOW!!' and they shot me down before I could escape

Yep, this is a fantastic touch. Similarly, watching the LS house dilapidate over time.

Trevor reminds me of 'Frank' from US Shameless a great deal, particularly when he is delivering self-aggrandising speeches and covering himself in glory, despite being clothed in shit and bringing down everyone around him. It's magnificent.

Disappointed that you lose safehouses, though. I really liked Franklin's first one, feels realistic and more lived in. Also Trevor's house upon moving to Los Santos.

Hindle

Banned
The voice actor for Leicester, (the guy who plans the heists) is the same guy who voices Bentley (also the character who plans the heists) from the Sly Cooper franchise.

The way the heists play out remind me of Sly Cooper as well. Someone at Rockstar is a fan of the Sly series lol.

todahawk

Jesus christ this thread!

I still can't get over how gorgeous this game is... take off in a jet and fly around, sunsets are so good.

Oh, and Trevor blowing snot rockets is just so perfectly disgusting.

There was a shootout in the desert between the police and some robbers, I decided to take part in it and helped the cops kill the other dudes... the police are all like 'hey good job, you helped us out here' until I grab a bag of cash from the robbers and all of a sudden I got 3 stars, 'THAT IS A PIECE OF EVIDENCE, STOP RIGHT NOW!!' and they shot me down before I could escape

lucky you, I shot some bad guys (no where near the cops) and the cops start yelling FREEZE. I bailed and lost the ungrateful assholes.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I know there's a motor in each, my question is, am I imagining that they actually coded stereo vibration?

the call to do it probably already takes 2 numbers. vibrateController(%left_vibrate, %right_vibrate). it's a nice touch, but not any kind of amazing coding feat.

Spat_triate

While hunting, I sent a photo of a dead animal to one of my contacts (not Cletus) and they actually replied "Really Trevor? WTF?!"

GavinGT

Banned
I can think of a couple details that aren't exactly good things. Like the fact that crashing into other cars is like slamming into a brick wall. You can't push them out of the way for shit. Also, it seems like 80% of the traffic lights are red when I come up to them. Maybe this is some commentary on LA traffic, but it makes getting around less fun when I'm always dealing with cross-traffic at intersections.

Jal

The various damaged state of vehicles, tried to get away from the random gang shootout, got in a truck, back tire was flat. Got in another truck, drove about 500 metres and the engine cuts out. Also at the trailer park stood by two bikes for a quick getaway (not realising i was supposed to go back to Wade), chose one of the bikes, started to drive off in the rain, get to the road and the back end slides out and im going sideways, realise there's no tire on the back wheel.

Hit a lampost and came off my bike in the triathlon with Franklin and he has a huge graze down his arm and on the back of his hand.

I can think of a couple details that aren't exactly good things. Like the fact that crashing into other cars is like slamming into a brick wall. You can't push them out of the way for shit. Also, it seems like 80% of the traffic lights are red when I come up to them. Maybe this is some commentary on LA traffic, but it makes getting around less fun when I'm always dealing with cross-traffic at intersections.
You don't like narrowly avoiding cross traffic at high speeds? Seriously, that's a lot of fun IMO

not sure if this has been mentioned, but EVERY single conversation that happens in a car has full animation, including gestures and body language from each character. If you switch to first person perspective and hold right stick to look backwards, the characters are appropriately animated to the discussion. This even happens with folks you pick up during random encounters and side missions. COMPLETELY INSANE attention to detail.

GavinGT

Banned
You don't like narrowly avoiding cross traffic at high speeds? Seriously, that's a lot of fun IMO

Sure, but it's frustrating as hell when it doesn't work out like that. And combining that with my first point makes it even worse, since you can't really ram anyone out of the way unless you're going full speed.

Sure, but it's frustrating as hell when it doesn't work out like that. And combining that with my first point makes it even worse, since you can't really ram anyone out of the way unless you're going full speed.

I pushed cars away with my SUV like it was nothing. You can not expect to push other cars away with a sportscar.

The varied terrain. Its got hills, trains, varied road layouts and NPCs that just make the city seem alive. You can look into the distance and you can imagine there are NPCs that are living and moving in the most distant part of Los Santos. If they can get this kind of detail on PS3 I'm looking for to what they can do with the PS4.

abundant

When I switched over to Trevor and he was walking down the Vinewood Walk of Fame, bugging a tourist who was taking pictures.

Also, as Franklin, I entered a store and had a brief conversation with the clerk. He asked about how hard was it to live in the hood. Franklin was pissed off.

MechaZain

Banned
Not sure if it's new but every game with a weapon wheel should use slow motion. Walked up to a car unarmed and did quick draw of my handgun as I jacked it. The animation was some seamless Jason Bourne shit.

Not sure if it's new but every game with a weapon wheel should use slow motion. Walked up to a car unarmed and did quick draw of my handgun as I jacked it. The animation was some seamless Jason Bourne shit.
So you drew the gun mid car-jack? Usually I have the gun out already, have to try this

DJMicLuv

A couple more things that made me chuckle...

If you press jump and then punch while in the air you 'rag doll'. Last night I kept throwing myself from the top of hills and rolling head over heals down. Stupid fun.

I walked into Michael's house and went upstairs. His daughter was making out with some dude and when she saw me she said "What are you like a wannabe pedo?!?"

The TV in Michael's son's room was great for watching TV. I made Michael take a hit on his son's bong and he went on a rant about how shitty his kids were and then how shitty a father he was.

During the Italian subtitled movie there are scenes of the statue of Liberty's chained heart from GTA4.

So many moments, I should make notes.

eek5

That shitty rumbling noise when your drive over those drainage grates on the road is pretty cool. It doesn't sound very realistic but hey at least it makes a noise lol

Darklord

Banned
After climbing up one of the hills I was impressed at how realistic the walking is. It actually looks like he's going up hill.

PHOTOSHOP

after having sex with a hooker. Quit the game and change the console date 9 months in the future. The hooker will call you or text you that the baby is yours.

jk

Do you get towed for parking in a red zone? I parked in one, walked around a bit and then came back and my car was gone. I guess it could've got stolen but if they actually row you for parking in red zones then that's a cool detail.

Ranger X

Personally I am just floored by this game. This is the most detailed and most polished open world game EVER. Not even a doubt there. AMAZING world.

And God love that we actually "draw" the map. Makes me want to explore more.

Rizsparky

Personally I am just floored by this game. This is the most detailed and most polished open world game EVER. Not even a doubt there. AMAZING world.

And God love that we actually "draw" the map. Makes me want to explore more.
Yeah I get a little OCD trying to fill in certain spots in the map that I haven't explored.

Mr. Robot

Can you pick up stones, thrash or bottles in this game? i can't seem to do it.
That was the best detail that i liked about GTA IV

Giving people the finger when on a bike or jet ski. Reflections on the hub caps of vehicles, echo when talking in staircases/corridors and NPCs responding to your beating someone up.

It's pretty incredible just how much attention to detail there is....

amnesiac

(roughly 20% mission spoilers, Michael)
On the "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" mission: While in the car, Jimmy changes the radio station. If you change it back, Michael will go, "Nice Try." Jimmy calls him a tyrant. Thought it was cool since it was unscripted.

When (60% or some such)
Michael returns home after his desert exile
, there's flies circling the fruit in the kitchen. The oranges are moldy and the apples are brown and icky.

The evolution of Trevor's home is pretty funny.

Can you pick up stones, thrash or bottles in this game? i can't seem to do it.
That was the best detail that i liked about GTA IV
No. :(
You also can't buy hot dogs and whatnot from vendors. :(

Don't know why they didn't bring this back. Not priorities I guess.

giapel

loaded game

That's why I like the character swapping mechanism. Every time I swap, the character I get is in some interesting location or in the middle of some weird conversation.

CSX

I caught one

The cars in this game actually have the correct drivetrains which you can see when you just spin the wheels in place (hold accelerate and brake at same time)

So the slow family cars and priuses = front wheel drive so when you spin the wheels you see the front tires spinning

the sports car are rear wheel drive so you see the rear wheels spinning

Top Bottom