• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

Enco said:
gtaiv2011-07-0519-37-47jzb.jpg

:O

Second mod after S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s one that does NIGHT time right.

Van Buren

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
So did anyone manage to get AA to work? When trying to enable it in the ini it keeps giving me some very blurry image.
I just turned it on in the config and removed the FXAA file.

For reference, this is what the first mission looks like with supersampling -
9c5cfc7f67c2134eed455665ee3e39e1d4dc5f68.jpg

Not flawless as far as aliasing is concerned, but is a significant step-up from FXAA, let alone the unmodded game.

Coldsnap

Sethos said:
Here's a quick guide, quote it for people, now the questions are getting out of hand :p

Get the retail version.

Install patch 1.0.4.0:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/13914788/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-PC-Patch-v.-1.0.4.0/

Download Xliveless:

http://public.sannybuilder.com/GTA4/xliveless-0.999b7.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/392993489/xliveless-0.999b7.rar

Place only the "Xlive.dll" in your root GTA IV folder, where the .exe is placed.

Download iCEhanced 1.2:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/icenhancer-12---enb-graphic-mod-f9236

Keep the folder structure and copy them into your root folder and just replace any files when it asks. ( Remember to back up if you want to restore )

Open the newly copied "iceconfig" and find the [TREE] section. Replace the numbers below with the following;

[TREE]
LeavesReflectionAmount=0.0
LeavesSpecularPower=0.0
LeavesAmbientAmount=0.95
LeavesColorMultiplier=1.0
LeavesColorPow=1.8
LeavesColorFilterR=1.0
LeavesColorFilterG=1.0
LeavesColorFilterB=1.2

It gives you some better looking trees, the default are overly green and very ugly.

Now you can, alternatively, download a texture mod of your desire. I suggest "Better City Textures" that clock in at over 7GB unpacked.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=5906

Another Copy & Paste job, copy over to the root folder, keep the structure and replace when it asks ( Remember to back up ).

Start the game, enjoy. That's the basics. Plenty of more modding to do, cars, in-game trainers, skins etc. but you can toy around with that yourself.

Thank you, this thread needed this so so bad.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks for the links Sethos.

Might take me a while to grab those 7GB texture packs. Guess this will be a weekend job :D

BatmanBatmanBatman said:

Can't believe all it takes is terrific lighting that elevates a game from "gamey" look to "real-life photo" look.

I wish there was some magical way to incorporate this lighting into old games like Morrowind, Quake 2, GTA: San Andreas etc. or just all games out there akin to forcing AA in the drivers control panel. Just leave the textures, polys the same but have this unbelievably real looking lighting there.

Can you imagine Fallout 3 with this?

Some of these screenshots look really over-sharpened. Does the game look like that or is there some post-processing going on with the screenshots?

BFIB

Van Buren, please keep the photos coming!

Also, I'm not sure if you haven't yet, but could you also post your specs?

Satchel

Banned
I'm sorry, but the graphics whore in me has to say this...

If GTA4 on consoles looked like that, I'd play it more. Bought it launch day in 2008 (LE too), played it for a week, and haven't touched it since. Literally.

Really need to go back to it. Especially since I picked up Lost and the Damned for like 400 points.

Loxley

That's some near-Battlefield 3 looking shit right there o_O Shame the PC port of GTAIV wasn't great, in addition to Rockstar's apparent ignorance towards modding.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Can't believe all it takes is terrific lighting that elevates a game from "gamey" look to "real-life photo" look.

I wish there was some magical way to incorporate this lighting into old games like Morrowind, Quake 2, GTA: San Andreas etc. or just all games out there akin to forcing AA in the drivers control panel. Just leave the textures, polys the same but have this unbelievably real looking lighting there.

Lighting and color composition. Yeah, it is kind of amazing to see how much of a difference it makes when they get those things right.

Enco

If the next GTA doesn't look like this I'm going to die a little bit on the inside.

If it's remotely similar, it'll be a day 0 buy with no questions asked.

No it wasn't. Just because you might have had a smooth experience doesn't mean everyone with perfectly capable machines did too.

Suairyu

Banned
Van Buren - what is with all your screenshots looking like photographs taken on really cheap film roll? Everything has a blue/pink haze about it like the old disposable cameras performed in bright light. It doesn't reflect how eyes perceive light and seems very different from the earlier shots in the thread.

edit - BatmanBatmanBatman's shots as well. Hrm. Are these customisations of the iCE mod or does it just not do bright and sunny well yet?

Glad that this thread has recovered from the butthurt explosion a few pages back. Some amazing screens in here, I reckon I'll grab GTAIV and the mod the shit out of it when I get my 570GTX in the next month or two.

Eiji

Satchel said:
I'm sorry, but the graphics whore in me has to say this...

If GTA4 on consoles looked like that, I'd play it more.

Pity none of these mods make GTA4 more fun like say, Saints Row 2.

Zombie James said:
Some of these screenshots look really over-sharpened. Does the game look like that or is there some post-processing going on with the screenshots?

In options.txt you edit "float SharpeningAmount=20;"

Gram Negative Cocci said:

I think it's a testament to Rockstar's creation more than anything else. If you applied this lighting to other games it would not have the same impact. Liberty City was under appreciated I think. It's been more than 3 years and it's still by far the best representation of a living city. This mod is just highlighting what an amazing technical and artistic achievement GTAIV was.

Van Buren

nemss said:
Van Buren, please keep the photos coming!

Also, I'm not sure if you haven't yet, but could you also post your specs?

Here are the last few shots I snapped for now -
fd6365320dfcbd4f8baf7cd5910724ee65fb5d83.jpg

The links for the other two - Link 1, Link 2.

My relevant specs are i7 920 @ 4.5 and 580 SLIs @ 932/1864/2100. Unfortunately, the game does not benefit much from SLI, which is my biggest issue when it comes to the PC port.

Suairyu said:
what is with all your screenshots looking like photographs taken on really cheap film roll?
I believe the intent of the mod is to mimic a "dirty lens"; there are other mods which favor a more realistic, if bland, approach.

Loxley

BlackDove said:
The port was fantastic.

You not having a computer that can run it isn't really their problem.

Oh get over yourself.

Just Cause 2, that is an example of a fantastic PC port. The GTAIV PC port was what I would qualify as "good enough" for what it needed to be. The optimization was lazy (the game's ability - or lack thereof - to successfully auto-calculate the best settings for your system is laughable), and for a game that was released back in 2008, it had ridiculous system requirements to run at steady framerate.

How you managed to interpret my statement that the PC version simply "wasn't great" into "Fuck Rockstar why can't my Macintosh from 1995 run GTAIV at max settings!?" is beyond me. The only thing I blamed Rockstar for was their complete disinterest in acknowledging the mod community.

Juniors, ugh...

It's pretty hard to argue against GTAIV being a lazy port when it ran substantially worse than the 360 version on systems which were considerably more powerful.

-viper-

Banned
GTA5 needs an original soundtrack which is played during missions. The game feels too boring otherwise. It has some nice music during loading but its never played during missions, no?

Dabanton

Proelite said:
Can we expect this kind of upgrades for titles ported to the Wii-U?

Hmm i don't think so this is various mods which are giving the game different looks anything going to Wii U would be locked to a specific 'look'.

iNvid02

ok i found my problem, msi afterburner interferes with icenhancer somehow and gives the gta iv has stopped working message. turning it off and everything is fine.

problem is, i use afterburner for all the screenshots as well as fan control, guess i'll prnt screen for now

Eiji said:

Is there any chance this stuff + the stuff in the OP works with the steam version?

Does it also work with episodes from Liberty City?

Red

iNvidious01 said:
ok i found my problem, msi afterburner interferes with icenhancer somehow and gives the gta iv has stopped working message. turning it off and everything is fine.

problem is, i use afterburner for all the screenshots as well as fan control, guess i'll prnt screen for now
FRAPS?

Dabanton

-viper- said:
GTA5 needs an original soundtrack which is played during missions. The game feels too boring otherwise. It has some nice music during loading but its never played during missions, no?

You change the tone of the game then. It works in something like RDR because it was a western so having music playing every now and then, usually during a high action scene works in that context when i get out of the car i like to hear the bustle of the city the splashing of the waves near the river. The roar of the planes above me.

I would implore anyone who has a surround system to play GTA:IV like that it's an amazing experience

EDIT: In an earlier version of GTA:IV Niko was given a MP3 player that he could use while walking about or getting into battles. But R* took it out.

Top Bottom