• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA5 Heist Update is out now on PS4+XBO

Rembrandt

Banned
To people that have completed the heists, are they worth renewing my xbl for right now? It just expired and I'm trying decide if I should just do it now instead of this weekend.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Server issues as expected. Had a great time with a friend and some randoms when everything was going smooth. It's so tense doing the heists when one death ends it all.

Oh well hopefully it's smoothed out tomorrow.

Oni Jazar

Sucks to hear people having issues. I logged in right when the patch came out and played the first heist. It was a lot of fun! I was the wheelman. B)

JNA

Banned
Oh man I haven't played GTA V in a while nor have I gotten the PS4 version yet.

For anybody that has atually completed a Hiest online, how is it? Is it as fun as it was in single player?

RdN

I'm getting "The files needed to play GTA Online could not be downloaded from the Rockstar Online Servers".

Sigh...

Did they roll back the servers when things went down? I purchased an apartment, got a haircut and bought some new clothes before they went offline and now that I'm back online all of that apparently never occurred.

JT0h9Mg.jpg

"Play now!" Lol

I'm getting "The files needed to play GTA Online could not be downloaded from the Rockstar Online Servers".

Sigh...

Same here. Don't think the servers will be working properly for a couple of days.

16BitNova

Millions of dollars. This company made millions of dollars and they can't pay for more/better servers. You think they would learn.

JNA

Banned
Millions of dollars. This company made millions of dollars and they can't pay for more/better servers. You think they would learn.

This applies to pretty much any company also.

Has there ever been any game company that actually knew how to handle a launch for a big game or big game update? Even companies like Blizzard have trouble.

Is it just not possible to get it right the first time?

Tigress

*sigh* This happens anytime something popular is launched. Everyone wants to play at the same time and it overwhelms the servers. Unfortunately, that is the one time they are going to have that many people wanting to play at once. It isn't really feasable to get enough servers for a one time event (or something that happens very occasionally). Yes, they are going to have a lot of people trying to play at once. Eventually some people are going to get bored or decide it wasn't all that and leave. Now then they are left with way more servers to maintain than they really need.

So they get the amount of servers for what they predict will be the usual load rather than pay for a lot of stuff that will only matter at the start. That's why every time an online game launches you have these kind of pains. Because it does not make business sense to spend that kind of money for something that will not be used for most the game life.

Companies budget for this stuff way in advance, too. You'd think they'd have an INKLING on the demand during launch, given the shitstorm that was the original launch of GTA:O, and the staggering sales of the current-gen versions of the games.

Having said that, it's not like our lives depend on being able to play. Patience is a virtue.

MisterHero

Sorry for jumping into the thread and only skimming the front page, but what is the progress for heists on PS3?

thx R*

MXRider

Oh man I haven't played GTA V in a while nor have I gotten the PS4 version yet.

For anybody that has atually completed a Hiest online, how is it? Is it as fun as it was in single player?
The first two player one is basic. But it's really fun.

16BitNova

This applies to pretty much any company also.

Has there ever been any game company that actually knew how to handle a launch for a big game or big game update? Even companies like Blizzard have trouble.

Is it just not possible to get it right the first time?

Destiny handled it well, also every COD (which many people play at launch) holds up well too. Idk, it is just very frustrating when you set up to play with friends and you waste an hour or so just trying to join each other. Yes patience is a virtue, I'm just annoyed, I play video games for fun and when things like this happen it's the complete opposite of fun.

dEvAnGeL

it would have been smart to put the game on sale this week, im not paying 60 for this since i already finished the game last gen

dEvAnGeL

It's still highly in demand, why would they do that?
to increase sales, everyone is talking about it but many people like me are not ready to jump cause we dont feel like paying 60 for the same game twice, even tho improved on every level it still a hard buy to swallow

DTU

Banned
*sigh* This happens anytime something popular is launched. Everyone wants to play at the same time and it overwhelms the servers. Unfortunately, that is the one time they are going to have that many people wanting to play at once. Because it does not make business sense to spend that kind of money for something that will not be used for most the game life.

Obviously I don't know the specifics of GTA Online, but this ability exists today with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services. Essentially you set a threshold for the server capacity, and once it exceeds that a new instance is created and load-balanced, which theoretically reduces the per instance strain, allowing for more connections and less bottlenecks. It's more complicated than that, and maybe that's the ROI decision that they've made, but it's certainly possible. You're not spending money for servers for the lifetime of the server; you're instantiating it when necessary and discarding when you're done.

Kalamari

I think it just boils down to poor planning on the part of R*. Given enough notice I would expect it's possible for temporary servers to be implemented for expected jumps of online users.

I wonder if it would be better for GTAO servers to have some sort of a queue, in order to allow some people to play at least, than to fuck everyone over all at the same time.

MJLord

*sigh* This happens anytime something popular is launched. Everyone wants to play at the same time and it overwhelms the servers. Unfortunately, that is the one time they are going to have that many people wanting to play at once. It isn't really feasable to get enough servers for a one time event (or something that happens very occasionally). Yes, they are going to have a lot of people trying to play at once. Eventually some people are going to get bored or decide it wasn't all that and leave. Now then they are left with way more servers to maintain than they really need.

So they get the amount of servers for what they predict will be the usual load rather than pay for a lot of stuff that will only matter at the start. That's why every time an online game launches you have these kind of pains. Because it does not make business sense to spend that kind of money for something that will not be used for most the game life.

This doesn't carry much weight with me tbh. We have scalable solutions to this problem. Look at the way Wildstar handled their networking. In high population times the service they use just boots up more VMs and off we go.

Top Bottom