• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV - Spring 2013, Xbox 360/PS3. Trailer #2 hits on Nov. 14th

Will you work on the second too? If you can't say, no prob. ;)
Anyhow, i renovate my compliments to you man, some fine work you've done (actually too good, as i sometimes watch the trailers and think they're better than the games. :p)

I know, still weird that they cut the seats, even if they didn't want you to run on the thing.
Sad anyway, as the one in GTAIV was a damn tease.

Ha, thanks, but no. I'm making my own indie game now :)

UrbanRats

Any other major examples of Rockstar doing this in the past?
I was a bit in jest, because the game isn't even out yet, though i remember a few things in the GI article of GTA4 that weren't in the game, like the ability to grapple to vehicles (it was only scripted in one mission) or grapple to a helicopter, like in the 2nd trailer.
Also the ability to climb up telephone poles or the infamous fingerless gloves. :p
I think some phone functions were also overhyped in the article and ended up as just a one off in a scripted mission (call people to make them answer their phones, exposing them, for example)
But all GTAs missed some stuff mentioned in GI articles and such, so keep that in mind when you read the GTAV one.
Ha, thanks, but no. I'm making my own indie game now :)
Ah, best wishes then!
Also i hope their trailers won't start to suck from now on.

dreamfall

I can't get over the atmosphere in the Vinewood Hills shot- it really is beautiful. That balcony lookout!

This wait- even for this trailer is getting more difficult! I can't wait to pour over the GI pages to glean any information on characters and mission types. I think we do need much more mission variety- but I loved RDR. Give us more Stranger missions!

UrbanRats

Regarding the disappearing elements, in the trailer there's a stoplight that disappears for (apparently) no reason too, so who knows, maybe the seats in the Ferris shot clip in and out and it's a thing they're still fixing? (but then again, why would you release a bugged screeshot?)
iSWp0drVbd69j.jpg

sytadel

I was a bit in jest, because the game isn't even out yet, though i remember a few things in the GI article of GTA4 that weren't in the game, like the ability to grapple to vehicles (it was only scripted in one mission) or grapple to a helicopter, like in the 2nd trailer.
Also the ability to climb up telephone poles or the infamous fingerless gloves. :p
I think some phone functions were also overhyped in the article and ended up as just a one off in a scripted mission (call people to make them answer their phones, exposing them, for example)
But all GTAs missed some stuff mentioned in GI articles and such, so keep that in mind when you read the GTAV one.
I don't know, I just get the feeling Rockstar were slightly rushed with IV, combined with the fact RAGE was obviously quite new at the time, only having Table Tennis as a warm up - and next-gen itself being only a year or two deep. It's the opposite now, the amount of time they've taken would allow the team to really take a breath and execute every idea thoroughly. I'm so damn curious to see the final product and how much further the RAGE engine has been pushed. I'm well and truly stapled to the hypetrain, but I'm certain V will absolutely bowl us all over - it will be unusual to see a review end with a 9, predicting 10's almost entirely across the board. A perfect swan song for this generation.

UrbanRats

Hey, if i'm dicking around with this stuff on a game we barely know anything about, is because i'm on the hypetrain with you. Front carriage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hmm. Interesting on the FW.

Also as much as I like Bully, it's overrated.
Even if you disagree, it's a last gen game with slightly upgraded graphics.

RDR is an amazing game not to be missed.

Bully is about a hundred times better than RDR
Better characters, better soundtrack, WAY better gameplay

Fjordson

=O I love Bully, but RDR is so amazing.

I can't get over the atmosphere in the Vinewood Hills shot- it really is beautiful. That balcony lookout!

This wait- even for this trailer is getting more difficult! I can't wait to pour over the GI pages to glean any information on characters and mission types. I think we do need much more mission variety- but I loved RDR. Give us more Stranger missions!
I know, oh man. The lighting on that Vinewood Hills picture is great. Love the blimp flying by overhead also.

I'm pretty hyped for the next week. Not only for the Game Informer cover, but I bet we'll also get the second trailer somewhere around the middle of the week.

sytadel

Hey, if i'm dicking around with this stuff on a game we barely know anything about, is because i'm on the hypetrain with you. Front carriage.
Haha totally. I'm actually a tad surprised we aren't seeing much more analyzation in this thread tbh. Moar please.

dreamfall

=O I love Bully, but RDR is so amazing.

I gotta go with Fjordson on this! I love both games a great deal- but Red Dead is infinitely more of a vast expanse to roam about. There is wonderful exploration in the dense map of Bully as well, but I just think Red Dead really took the best bits of Grand Theft Auto and expanded on the gameplay immensely. Bully's story is also amazing- the risks they took to put that in a school setting? Sheesh!

I do really hope that much like Bully and Mafia 2, we'll have seasons in GTA V after we reach milestones in the narrative. I'm not sure how it would apply to L.A. as an urban setting, but I'm hoping for many different types of weather changes.

Fjordson

I gotta go with Fjordson on this! I love both games a great deal- but Red Dead is infinitely more of a vast expanse to roam about. There is wonderful exploration in the dense map of Bully as well, but I just think Red Dead really took the best bits of Grand Theft Auto and expanded on the gameplay immensely. Bully's story is also amazing- the risks they took to put that in a school setting? Sheesh!

I do really hope that much like Bully and Mafia 2, we'll have seasons in GTA V after we reach milestones in the narrative. I'm not sure how it would apply to L.A. as an urban setting, but I'm hoping for many different types of weather changes.
Yeah, RDR is my favourite R* game. Could list a dozen reasons why, but one that really puts it over the top for me is John Marston. I think he's one of my favourite protagonists of recent memory. Takes a special character to be likable and charismatic, despite being a former outlaw who spends a good 30 hours killing people :lol

And I'd also love identifiable seasons. Like you said, it's tough to say how many they could realistically have given it's California, but whatever they can put in there would be cool. Maybe even have holiday decorations on houses in neighborhoods during certain parts of the year and other little touches like that.

Haha totally. I'm actually a tad surprised we aren't seeing much more analyzation in this thread tbh. Moar please.
Here's some random analysis for ya.

I've been thinking about who the main protagonist will be. I wonder if that older guy from the trailer isn't the main character at all. Maybe his appearance and the voice over were just there to throw the fans off a little bit. Maybe it's a younger kid who goes to work with him in his crew (maybe the black guy running from the cops in the trailer).

Or maybe the Housers pull a Kojima. Where we play as that older guy in the beginning of the game (like how Kojima had us play Solid Snake in the beginning of MGS 2) and then switch to a younger guy that starts working with him a ways into the story (like switching to Raiden for the rest of MGS 2).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I doubt GTA will ever do a 'younger' guy again. Too many other games do that. Obviously, someone like mid to late 30s would be okay, but I'm not expecting someone in their 20s.

Fjordson

I'd be fine with a switch but I really like the older guy.

As I said before I want to play as a Neil McCauley type.
Yeah, I agree. I think it'd be an interesting character.

Also, I really like the voice over (presumably from that Ned Luke guy) so hopefully that's him.

UrbanRats

How they'll handle the multiple characters is really a wild card.
I would not like a switch every X missions, because i don't like the idea of the narrative being broken up and being "stuck" with a character (when dicking around the map) until i progress another x number of missions.
I would like a Resident Evil kind of deal, play one side of the story, then play the other and understand all point of views.
Kind of like GTA4, in a way.

GTA is a lot about immersion, so costantly switching character and background (assuming the two characters are the old white guy in the pest control art and the black/latino dude in the dog art) would suck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Police officer, deal w it True Crime.

I really would like to see a DLC or something where you play as an officer, just to see how weird GTA is from that perspective. Not like Sleeping Dogs where it's like 'youre a cop but only in cutscenes', I'd like to see them actually get away with it. You couldn't build an entire game around that though.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I hope we can ride the ferris wheel and rollercoaster on that pier. I'm still disappointed that the amusement park in GTA4 was completely dead. I'm hoping there's a lot more to interact with in GTA5's city.

dreamfall said:
I think it's time for a female gangster- someone with the credibility and bravado of Snoop in The Wire.
Yeah I really want a female protagonist. I feel Rockstar could pull it off. Also, Baltimore would make a great GTA setting.

LQX

Hmm. Interesting on the FW.

Also as much as I like Bully, it's overrated.
Even if you disagree, it's a last gen game with slightly upgraded graphics.

RDR is an amazing game not to be missed.

Overrated? It is underrated and is probably Rockstars most overlooked game next to that table tennis game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
San Andreas was supposed to let you fill gas in your car, wasn't it? The whole garage stuff got scratched.

Pretty sure that was a rumor. The 'oh there's gas in it!' rumor pops up when every new GTA gets announced. I think they do it on purpose to fuck with people.

Skateboards were the only thing that was taken out of SA that I know of, and they didn't work well in the first place.

UrbanRats

If we're mentioning The Wire, better than Snoop would be the two girls with Omar (in season 1, i think).
Though there are not many female gangster and, generally, the various ciminal/gangster tropes involve a very sexist (and misogynistic) idea of the macho.
I don't think R* would have the writing skill to write themselves out of that corner, so i don't see it happening.
RDR had very good female characters though, probably the best i can think of in any recent AAA game.

dreamfall

If we're mentioning The Wire, better than Snoop would be the two girls with Omar (in season 1, i think).
Though there are not many female gangster and, generally, the various ciminal/gangster tropes involve a very sexist (and misogynistic) idea of the macho.
I don't think R* would have the writing skill to write themselves out of that corner, so i don't see it happening.
RDR had very good female characters though, probably the best i can think of in any recent AAA game.

Tosha & Kimmy? I definitely agree with you- it's just that their stick up crew, under the direction of Omar, feels like small time. I think Snoop as a real captain of the gang better suits the character!
(Edit: You know, perhaps it'll be a rags to better rags/death for the rise of a small time criminal to a captain- that could work).

And who knows? I agree with RDR's female characters being strong- Bonnie McFarlane, Luisa (a bit naïve),
Abigail
all were very well developed. I think Rockstar could do it- just defy those gangster tropes, develop a strong character on the rise in a trusted outfit. The criminal/violent actions should be genderless- I think Brubaker's character of Mallory in "Lawless" fits the bill. Someone like her maybe!

I'm considering going to stores and putting down additional pre-orders just so I can take some better pics.

Outside of my Vinewood Hills pic and whoever took that large Vespucci Canals pic, they're all low-res and crappy looking.

Also:

grWDbm.jpg

Cramoss

I really want more goofiness and easter eggs/secrets and shit.

I enjoyed the different myths or secrets of san andreas that people discussed back in the day so I hope some of that community are still interested in that kind of stuff.

Tankshell

For all of the changes in San Andreas:

http://www.grandtheftwiki.com/Content_Changes_in_GTA_San_Andreas

Amongst the most interesting:
- Animals that would roam the rural areas were cut. Their models are still available in the game's files, albeit without AI present.
- Sharks in the water were cut.

But, there was a shark swimming about in the water in San Andreas, it was near some boat house on the docks in an industrial area. I distinctly recall.

UrbanRats

They should import some of the animals from RDR, bobcats roaming the streets

Bobcat-GTASA-rear.jpg

Got you covered (since GTA1).

I never got to try GTA 4 cause I had no console, is the PC version any good?
I used to really like Vice City.
Graphically, yes:

Gameplay-wise, it's dated and clunky, also the missions are boring as fuck.
It has its moments, though.
PC version is fine if you have a quad-core.

Man,

Between GTAV and Bioshock Infinite, I won't need any other games for 2013.

Rockstar really seems hellbent on making V one for the records.

Top Bottom