• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee 2 - PSX Panel

JP

header.png

A 17 minute panel from PSX. This game looks fantastic and seeing this has reminded me that I still haven't completed the first game.

Guacamelee 2 - PSX 2017: Gameplay Demo | PS4

Description
Guacamelee! 2 picks up seven years after the original game. Juan Aguacate is living a happy life with his family, when his friend and trainer Uay Chivo discovers a new evil menace that threatens to destroy not only Mexico, but time and space itself.

History
Guacamelee! 2 is the sequel to the award-winning, Mexican-themed co-op-multiplayer Metroidvania action game, Guacamelee!. The studio took the time needed after finishing Guacamelee! to change gears with their following title Severed, all the while perculating new ideas for a Guacamelee! 2. Now, DrinkBox has happily returned to their much loved franchise.

Features
  • Non-Stop fighting action featuring an extensive move list
  • Multi-dimensional Platforming
  • Combat moves double as player movement mechanics, uniting platforming and fighting
  • Amazing new player abilities: Eagle Boost, Chicken Glide, and many more non-bird-themed powers!
  • A colorfully vibrant world containing dingy swamps, abandoned temples, arid deserts, and many other fun locations
  • New rendering engine: Normal mapped characters and environments significantly enhance the game's visuals
  • Drop-in/out 4-player local co-operative play
  • 300% more chickens
  • 99% less memes

Guacamelee! 2 – Announce Trailer | PS4

Official Webite

EDIT:
Only listed as PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro but I imagine it will hit other platforms at some point after launch.

JP

So hyped for this. The first was easily my favorite Indie Metroidvania.
I really enjoy both games but my favourite is Axiom Verge, I don't say that as my "recent" favourite but my all time favourite.

I am very happy to see that another one of these is happening though.

I really enjoy both games but my favourite is Axiom Verge, I don't say that as my "recent" favourite but my all time favourite.

I am very happy to see that another one of these is happening though.

Axiom Verge was a bit disappointing to me. It was good, but the last couple areas were obviously very rushed, and the final boss just awful. It also tried to hard to be just like Metroid, from visuals to music to mechanics. Guacamelee is much more unique in it's presentation, and did a good job differentiating itself from it's inspirations.

But ya know, opinions and all.

JP

But ya know, opinions and all.
Definitely, I'd much rather there was multiple choices of those type of game than only one.

Out of interest, has anybody here played Rocketbirds 2: Evolution? I was watching a video of it last night and it looked like it may be interesting but I don't know a lot about it.

Aonuma

I'd love to get this for the Switch, but it looks like even if it will inevitably make it to other platforms that they're not allowed to mention them for the time being.

tkscz

Love the game, so much fun in co-op mode, but I still consider this more Zelda II like than a Metroidvania.

amdb00mer

The first game was a lot of fun. Very challenging, but in a fair way. Hopefully, it is multiplatform again like the first one was.

Pey.

Gameplay I recorded from the PC version:

There's also some 4K shots in the video's description.

dirthead

Banned
I love Guacamelee 1, but really, the developers kind of soured me on them when they tried to sucker Steam owners into just rebuying the game when they came out with that championship whatever edition and only did a loyalty discount for owners of the original after everyone bitched. Really, that edition did not justify a rebuy or even an upgrade fee for that matter. It should have been a freebie for existing owners.

Because of that, I'm going to wait for the inevitable "complete" edition of this one.

Nymphae

Banned
This is one of those rare title for me where the aesthetics completely destroy my desire to play it. I love a good Metroidvania, but I absolutely HATE luchadors and the general look of everything in this game. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one.

dirthead

Banned
This is one of those rare title for me where the aesthetics completely destroy my desire to play it. I love a good Metroidvania, but I absolutely HATE luchadors and the general look of everything in this game. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one.

I know what you mean. Not a fan of what essentially looks like Flash game art. The game was good though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay I recorded from the PC version:

There's also some 4K shots in the video's description.

its an indie title that isn't that demanding

this should run on the ps4 pro /x easy no?

Nymphae

Banned
I know what you mean. Not a fan of what essentially looks like Flash game art. The game was good though.

Yeah I stayed away from Alien Homnid a while back, and Castle Crashers, because they look like damn flash games. I'm pretty sure Alien Homnid actually was.

As for luchadors though, I will never understand the appeal. Mexican wrestlers in gimp masks. Right.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Yeah I stayed away from Alien Homnid a while back, and Castle Crashers, because they look like damn flash games. I'm pretty sure Alien Homnid actually was.

As for luchadors though, I will never understand the appeal. Mexican wrestlers in gimp masks. Right.

Drinkbox is like the contemporary Treasure where I basically put up with their art because I like the gameplay. Almost laughably ugly games that somehow play amazingly.

iu

trikster40

Definitely, I'd much rather there was multiple choices of those type of game than only one.

Out of interest, has anybody here played Rocketbirds 2: Evolution? I was watching a video of it last night and it looked like it may be interesting but I don't know a lot about it.

I have. It’s not a Metroidvania, I liked the first better.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Loved the first one. One of the best Metroidvanias I´ve played. Great humor, tight controls and swift gameplay and some very fun bosses. Even grabbed the platinum for it. And the best of all, was that I got it for free on PS+.

Top Bottom