• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

longdi

Banned
So just the guardians are enough to defeat a celestial, a god of sort. What is Thanos power levels?

Chuckie

So just the guardians are enough to defeat a celestial, a god of sort. What is Thanos power levels?

Well in the comics he is all-powerful while wearing the Infinity Gauntlet.

Saw the movie last Saturday and I loved it SO much. So funny, so colourful. A true treat.

Great action, beautiful visuals, compelling character arcs, hilarious dialogue, heartfelt emotional moments and overall an improvement over the original. Top 10 CBM, easily. Will make truckloads of money and already has a sequel announced.

Gunn, Feige and the MCU stay winning.

WHEW

Thanos isn't as powerful as a Celestial but they didn't straight up beat Ego, Peter had the same powers. Thanos on his own is strong enough to beat the Avengers and Guardians at the same time. With the Infinity Gauntlet though Thanos was attacked by all the Celestials (and Galactus etc) simultaneously and he defeated them easily, the Infinity Gauntlet's power is universal. It will be interesting how they present it's power on film.

vaderise

Saw the IMAX screening on saturday and i absolutely LOVED it. Yondu and Ego were standouts in a all around amazing cast. I think seperating the group for two seperate storylines merging into one worked well. Ravagers stuff got my interest and for me Ego is one of the greatest villains out there. Kurt Russel was just so fucking cool. The fact that the guy is a planet makes him a very unique villain. And i liked how they went much deeper on Yondu's character.
A lot of people are saying that this movie is not connecting into the larger MCU Cosmic storyline but for me it is the exact opposite. Vol2 was filled with fan service moments with Watchers, Celestials, Universal Church of Truth, OG Guardians etc. I can't count how many times i cheered on a well placed easter egg.
My only gripe; Humour. Some of it felt forced. Many jokes didn't land for me. But Baby Groot was not overdone at all. He was adorable. Gamora was a lot better on this too.
Top 5 MCU for me. Great, great, great stuff.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Killing the mother and telling Peter about it is a very stupid move, not unempathic, not monstruous, but stupid. There was no need. He could have simply removed his human form and forget about love. Or take her to his planet. It's a nice way of incorporating plot from the first movie but a little bit clumsy.

Also, that Ego's core is a big human brain makes no fucking sense.

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot! I don't really care about that stuff. I'm in for the laughs and shit. Also loved the Yondu story.

On the contrary, I think having a brain as a symbol of Ego was perfect.

With Yondu telling Peter to use his heart and not his head, it shows a stark contrast between Peter and his father. Ego was ultimately, like many have said here, a celestial pretending to be mortal. He does not have a "heart", so to speak.

On the contrary, I think having a brain as a symbol of Ego was perfect.

With Yondu telling Peter to use his heart and not his head, it shows a stark contrast between Peter and his father. Ego was ultimately, like many have said here, a celestial pretending to be mortal. He does not have a "heart", so to speak.
You can't pretend to be mortal and then be killed off. Ego was a mortal being, he was just ageless.
Peter doesn't have a "heart" either since that's a dumb concept. Ego was self aware and with a personality, he didn't adhere to a program. By all accounts he'd have a "heart".
Maybe it's just me, but I'll cut them some slack on the 'generic locations' considering that Ego probably took up most of the resources to pull off.
I would too if Ego had made for a good villain but I found that whole part of the movie dull.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You can't pretend to be mortal and then be killed off. Ego was a mortal being, he was just ageless.
Peter doesn't have a "heart" either since that's a dumb concept. Ego was self aware and with a personality, he didn't adhere to a program. By all accounts he'd have a "heart".

I think you're getting really confused and muddled here.

Firstly, Ego is immortal. Not mortal.

Secondly, Ego is a celestial brain. He literally has no heart.

Thirdly,. Peter does have a heart. He's human. It's kinda hard to be human if you have no heart. Hence how he's still alive at the end of the film - his celestial side is now gone, but he was half-human so he's good.

Fourthly... look, I'm sorry if you thought the film was dumb. And boring. That's a personal opinion. But you can just say that. You don't have to keep digging into ludicrous justification theory, because the more you're digging the more ridiculous your complaints sound and suggest that you haven't really followed what was actually happening on screen.

Like the time they showed us Ego's true form, and it was a brain. Not a heart, a brain.

I think you're getting really confused and muddled here.

Firstly, Ego is immortal. Not mortal.

Secondly, Ego is a celestial brain. He literally has no heart.

Thirdly,. Peter does have a heart. He's human. It's kinda hard to be human if you have no heart. Hence how he's still alive at the end of the film - his celestial side is now gone, but he was half-human so he's good.

Fourthly... look, I'm sorry if you thought the film was dumb. And boring. That's a personal opinion. But you can just say that. You don't have to keep digging into ludicrous justification theory, because the more you're digging the more ridiculous your complaints sound and suggest that you haven't really followed what was actually happening on screen.

Like the time they showed us Ego's true form, and it was a brain. Not a heart, a brain.
Come on are you really gonna make me quote a dictionary. Well here goes.
wiktionary said:
Adjective
mortal (comparative more mortal, superlative most mortal)
Susceptible to death by aging, sickness, injury, or wound; not immortal.
They blew him up, he's dead, thereby mortal.

So what you're saying is Yondu uses the muscle that pumps blood through his veins to move his needle? Because that's a heart.
There's a striking difference between the heart and the concept of "heart".
When people say "Have a heart!" they don't mean to literally give them an in the flesh heart.

I didn't think the movie was dumb, that particular scene was dumb because it perpetuates the myth that our personality and being is detached from our brain.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Come on are you really gonna make me quote a dictionary. Well here goes.

They blew him up, he's dead, thereby mortal.

So what you're saying is Yondu uses the muscle that pumps blood through his veins to move his needle? Because that's a heart.
There's a striking difference between the heart and the concept of "heart".
When people say "Have a heart!" they don't speak literally.

I didn't think the movie was dumb, that particular scene was dumb because it perpetuates the myth that our personality and being is detached from our brain.

We're not talking about a literal heart but a metaphorical one. It just happens that Ego's brain works for me, both literally and metaphorically.

Renpatsu

I dunno man, there are some animals on earth that are effectively biologically immortal, but that doesn't mean they can't die through other means such as predation or disease.

From what we know Ego, as a Celestial, is physiologically immortal, but that doesn't make him inherently invincible and incapable of death as evident by the climax of the film.

cebri.one

Great movie. I think it could have been better if they had avoided some unnecessary action scenes and some cringy dialogue.

The Kree

Banned
I dunno man, there are some animals on earth that are effectively biologically immortal, but that doesn't mean they can't die through other means such as predation or disease.

From what we know Ego, as a Celestial, is physiologically immortal, but that doesn't make him inherently invincible and incapable of death as evident by the climax of the film.

Lobsters are immortal.

We're not talking about a literal heart but a metaphorical one. It just happens that Ego's brain works for me, both literally and metaphorically.
I was talking about a metaphorical one too, I even used quotation marks to make it clear, Not sure why the opposite meaning of that was taken.

Ego's brain works, except for being in a form that's confined to a skull and connected to a spine. IIRC there's brainstem but I can't find an image of it as of now to check.

The whole brain vs heart talk didn't work for me as there is no functional difference in my eyes. Even if there was, metaphorically speaking, Ego didn't act solely calculating and completely logical like you'd expect of a brain but very emotionally. He was impulsive and angry as well as a bit dejected.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I was talking about a metaphorical one too, I even used quotation marks to make it clear, Not sure why the opposite meaning of that was taken.

Ego's brain works, except for being in a form that's confined to a skull and connected to a spine. IIRC there's brainstem but I can't find an image of it as of now to check.

The whole brain vs heart talk didn't work for me as there is no functional difference in my eyes. Even if there was, metaphorically speaking, Ego didn't act solely calculating and completely logical like you'd expect of a brain but very emotionally. He was impulsive and angry as well as a bit dejected.

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore.

No-one is saying that Ego lacked emotions. We're just saying that he's literally an immortal brain that cannot be killed by natural means, and that he isn't guided by said emotions. Which is different to Peter, who is entirely guided by his emotions.

Osahi

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyable, but not as great as the original by a long shot. It's a tad slower, the plot is more straightforward and the team dynamics are less engaging as they start out pretty much as friends. (The original was way more exciting, as most characters had oposite goals or hated each other and were forced to work together and to overcome their differences). Sometimes it seemed like the film wasn't moving forward, while the original never sat still.

Had a few big laughs though, especially with Drax. And some scenes are pretty great (the opening with the action on the background of Baby Groot dancing, fantastic). Overall a fun flick, but not a particulary memorable one

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore.

No-one is saying that Ego lacked emotions. We're just saying that he's literally an immortal brain that cannot be killed by natural means, and that he isn't guided by said emotions. Which is different to Peter, who is entirely guided by his emotions.

you never knew what I was arguing in the first place. Hence your weird reply.

Ego os absolutely guided by his emotions. He ventures forth out of loneliness, he was disappointed in the life he found, he killed Meredith because of attachment and feeling dutybound to his cause.

If his plan and actions were all governed by logical thought, it should to some point be agreeable but it's not, it's a stupid idea and wouldn't even quell his loneliness.

deleted

Disappointing on a high level for me.

My feeling was, it played it way too save. Lots of little Groot, because that was one of the highlights in the last one. Huge Action set piece surrounding the flute arrow, because it received so good feedback in the first one. No real advancements in the romance department, but a new interest for Drax, who was a little too relatable.

Not of that is bad, it just strung very expected cords when the first one already played those.

Plot wise I'm not a fan. It's nice to do this kind of plot for character advancement, but there was so much stuff that didn't make much sense...

Ego could only build on human? Why not build more if the first one failed or stayed on earth to be with the one he loved and let another one place his seed? Why not stay on earth for 60 years, which is nothing for an eternal being?
He was building 'what he imagined live would look like' and arrived at a human with 80s fashion? And he took on all those other races in this form? Sure... No wonder, none of his childs had the celestial gene if he impregnated them all as a human.
Peter was floored by the revelation that he is part god, but he didn't seem mind controlled. But the first thing he says about his friends is: oh yeah, sure - sacrifices have to be made...? Only to immediately snap out of it when Ego conveniently revealed that he killed his mother? He didn't have to do that at all, especially because he sensed that Peter was still dominated by his human side..
And then there's the end battle... You have a planet being and you do the 'two superhuman punch the shit out of each other' endfight? That one screamed missed potential.
The Nebula subplot worked surprisingly well though. Even if Gamora had to be pretty dense to not get that stuff in the past.
Bringing earth into all of that didn't work for me neither. Nobody had any connection to that stuff. Why show it at all?

So, not a fan of the plot at all. Could have been dope, but wasn't.
Visually it was amazing! Loved Stalone and the golden people - felt almost like something imagined by Douglas Adams.
The end-credits felt so-so.

Replicant

Soundtrack feels a bit more miss than hit but there are some that I like, mostly towards the end of the film:

Sliver - Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang (When Ayesha and the Sovereign launches counter-attack during the climax)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzBZQf_7Tk

Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home to Me (Quill and Gamora's dance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BaTfQ1yduc

Cat Stevens - Father and Son (you know, the Onion chopping scene. Stupid Onions!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leC5WE7P2To

Parliament - Flashlight (The funky end credits)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYuMXGMcuNA

The Sneepers Ft. David Hasselhoff - Guardians Inferno (The funky end credits 2: Electric Boogaaloo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guxsR0k_AU

Renpatsu

Ego os absolutely guided by his emotions. He ventures forth out of loneliness, he was disappointed in the life he found, he killed Meredith because of attachment and feeling dutybound to his cause.

If his plan and actions were all governed by logical thought, it should to some point be agreeable but it's not, it's a stupid idea and wouldn't even quell his loneliness.
I would personally classify Ego akin to something similar to a high functioning sociopath with a God complex born from his status as a Celestial. However I can also see the argument that Ego is driven partially by emotions based on Kurt Russell's performance and dialogue. If you take Ego's rationalisation as sincere it is still evident that his decision to kill Meredith is him overriding whatever affection he may have had and turning down the notion of staying by her side in favour of adhering to the belief that his loneliness would be better quelled by propagating throughout the universe. It is a cold and detached perspective and the principle reason why one would observe Ego's plan as driven far more by logic than emotion.

Just because Ego's plan may have been initially instigated by feelings of loneliness it is still driven by a logic based on his own notions as a Celestial. A logical plan doesn't inherently make a plan infallible as what is logical to one individual may not be to another nor does flawed logic imply being driven by emotions.

So when Yondu makes the distinction between Ego and himself referring to the 'heart' as what drives him we understand that to be in reference to his empathy and compassion which stands in stark contrast to Ego who while emotional at times is driven far more by the detached logic of his plan than any notions of empathy for individuals other than himself.

Soundtrack feels a bit more miss than hit but there are some that I like, mostly towards the end of the film:

Sliver - Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang (When Ayesha and the Sovereign launches counter-attack during the climax)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzBZQf_7Tk

Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home to Me (Quill and Gamora's dance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BaTfQ1yduc

Cat Stevens - Father and Son (you know, the Onion chopping scene. Stupid Onions!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leC5WE7P2To

Parliament - Flashlight (The funky end credits)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYuMXGMcuNA

The Sneepers Ft. David Hasselhoff - Guardians Inferno (The funky end credits 2: Electric Boogaaloo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guxsR0k_AU

I dunno - been rocking the soundtrack the last few days and it is a great mix. As good as the first, I'd say.

longdi

Banned
So in terms of power levels shown so far in MCU:

Ego > Domamu > base Thanos > noob Starlord > Thor/Hulk/Ronin/Odin > Vision/Loki/Drex/Nebula/Gamoru > Strange > rest?

DeathyBoy

Banned
No but Korath does call him the most powerful being in the universe and Gamora says she doesn't know if killing him is possible. He's obviously above Ronan too so there's a bottom level of where he might sit.

It's worth noting no one knows Ego is alive. And Dormannu is from a different universe.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Which I find a bit strange to be honest, given e.g. his dealings with the Ravagers. Then again, not really important. I'm sure *some* groups know about Ego, they just don't show up in the movie.

Yeah, it's odd. But the Nova Corps/Sovereign clearly don't. I'd say a planet is on Thanos's level.

Bishop89

so does the Abilisk have any relation to Shuma-Gorath?

shuma_gorath_chaos_dimension_animation_by_nickmarino-d569n1w.gif

longdi

Banned
We havent seen thanos doing anything yet.

We already seen 2 cosmic entities in the last 2 MCU movies, more powerful beings that got pushed back by 1 avenger. I hope Marvel has a good villain in Thanos, so far he is on 0/7 infinity stones despite so much shit have taken place. There isnt even a Thanos cameo in GotG2.

Infinity Wars should be a Thanos movie imo.

El Topo

Yeah, it's odd. But the Nova Corps/Sovereign clearly don't. I'd say a planet is on Thanos's level.

They might just not consider Ego a threat and/or simply don't suspect his celestial origin. For all they know, it's some being that travels the universe to fuck.
Thanos on the other hand has probably wreaked havoc quite often and is a known threat.

During Rocket's and Yondu's 700 jumps they fly over a wasteland with two humanoid beings fighting. At first I thought one of them was Thanos because of the colour but I think I'm off the mark. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
During Rocket's and Yondu's 700 jumps they fly over a wasteland with two humanoid beings fighting. At first I thought one of them was Thanos because of the colour but I think I'm off the mark. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Someone else in this thread made the same comment. Guess we'll have to wait and see if anyone else sees it properly.

Dormammu stomps Ego.

It was 3 humanoids iirc, 2 were standing and 1 was on his knees. I didn't really see who/what they were though.

Top Bottom