• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

I would personally classify Ego akin to something similar to a high functioning sociopath with a God complex born from his status as a Celestial. However I can also see the argument that Ego is driven partially by emotions based on Kurt Russell's performance and dialogue. If you take Ego's rationalisation as sincere it is still evident that his decision to kill Meredith is him overriding whatever affection he may have had and turning down the notion of staying by her side in favour of adhering to the belief that his loneliness would be better quelled by propagating throughout the universe. It is a cold and detached perspective and the principle reason why one would observe Ego's plan as driven far more by logic than emotion.

Just because Ego's plan may have been initially instigated by feelings of loneliness it is still driven by a logic based on his own notions as a Celestial. A logical plan doesn't inherently make a plan infallible as what is logical to one individual may not be to another nor does flawed logic imply being driven by emotions.

So when Yondu makes the distinction between Ego and himself referring to the 'heart' as what drives him we understand that to be in reference to his empathy and compassion which stands in stark contrast to Ego who while emotional at times is driven far more by the detached logic of his plan than any notions of empathy for individuals other than himself.
Not sure I agree with this, killing meredith is an emotional act not a logical one. It's an extreme reaction that cannot be spawned by rational thought, however distorted a personality is.

It's difficult to argue the logic behind his plan since I don't understand what he was going for exactly or how it'd change his current problem of being anchored on his planet.

I know where Yondu was coming from but it remains a poor justification for a projected empowerment.

Renpatsu

Not sure I agree with this, killing meredith is an emotional act not a logical one. It's an extreme reaction that cannot be spawned by rational thought, however distorted a personality is.

It's difficult to argue the logic behind his plan since I don't understand what he was going for exactly or how it'd change his current problem of being anchored on his planet.

I know where Yondu was coming from but it remains a poor justification for a projected empowerment.
What makes you think killing a lesser being than yourself (as Ego sees it) "cannot be spawned by rational thought"? Where is your the basis for that other than opinion alone? Ego explains his views on other beings quite clearly, they're beneath him, and while Meredith may have made him reconsider slightly ultimately he falls back on those views as evident by his actions.

At any rate all Yondu is saying is that Ego has never cared for or had Peter's interests at heart whereas from the moment Yondu decided to keep Peter and raise him as a Ravager he was making a decision for Peter's well-being.

Edit: Tangentially related - For similar reasons why pairing Mantis with Drax is interesting I think that there is a very specific contrast being cast by having Mantis, an Empath, accompany Ego, a Celestial with a lack of empathy for mortal beings. When Mantis refers to herself early in the film as akin to being Ego's "pet" at first it feels like a joke, but it also calls into question the role she occupies among Ego and foreshadows his climactic revelation on life beyond his own. With hindsight by introducing the two characters together Mantis becomes another avenue for Gunn to subtly highlight Ego's character deficiencies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
What makes you think killing a lesser being than yourself (as Ego sees it) "cannot be spawned by rational thought"? Where is your the basis for that other than opinion alone? Ego explains his views on other beings quite clearly, they're beneath him, and while Meredith may have made him reconsider slightly ultimately he falls back on those views as evident by his actions.

At any rate all Yondu is saying is that Ego has never cared for or had Peter's interests at heart whereas from the moment Yondu decided to keep Peter and raise him as a Ravager he was making a decision for Peter's well-being.

He's just arguing to argue, don't engage.

Was this Stallone's first appearance in the MCU? I feel like I missed his introduction or something. Who were those with him at the end? I assume he's confirmed for Vol3?

I'm not saying killing altogether cannot be spawned by rational thought, after all we kill to eat all the time. Specifically killing meredith can't be rational borne.
If Meredith was beneath Ego he could have ignored her wholesale, if it's true that he killed her because of growing to attached it's fear that drives it.

I don't follow the latter paragraph at
if "everything is ego" then he's no longer anchored.
how would that work?

Fliesen

i thoroughly enjoyed the movie, it was kinda predictable though. (and i'm not a comic book reader, so ...)

Yondu dying. Saw that coming from a mile ago.

An "i am everything" being wanting to pretty much eat the universe. What a twist! ... the fact that he actually killed Peter's mom was unexpected, though.

Also, that whole:
"Group meet friendly looking guy / person /family that is somehow related to one member of the group. Rest of the group finds things super suspicious and tell their one member to be careful. Member reacts with that whole 'You're just jealous that ...' routine"

was SUPER familiar. not just for the tropyness, but pretty much beat by beat. Can't put my finger on it, though. Any ideas what film / TV show / piece of media i could be thinking about?

IHaveIce

Banned
so does the Abilisk have any relation to Shuma-Gorath?

shuma_gorath_chaos_dimension_animation_by_nickmarino-d569n1w.gif

not likely. More with the beasts living between universes also from the GotG run by Abnett and Lanning. Which they needed Adam Warlock for to shut the Rifts

I didn't see Yondu coming. I was expecting a last minute resurrection right up until he got "cremated".

Really felt impactful. An upside to all MCU deaths being either impermanent or unimportant.

Peff

i thoroughly enjoyed the movie, it was kinda predictable though. (and i'm not a comic book reader, so ...)

An "i am everything" being wanting to pretty much eat the universe. What a twist! ... the fact that he actually killed Peter's mom was unexpected, though.

Also, that whole:
"Group meet friendly looking guy / person /family that is somehow related to one member of the group. Rest of the group finds things super suspicious and tell their one member to be careful. Member reacts with that whole 'You're just jealous that ...' routine"

was SUPER familiar. not just for the tropyness, but pretty much beat by beat. Can't put my finger on it, though. Any ideas what film / TV show / piece of media i could be thinking about?

It might be the Futurama episode where Leela runs into what looks like another cyclops. I know I was thinking of that for a while there too, haha.

Was fun, not a novelty like the first one, but awesome. Not sure they can dispose of any of the Guardians and have it still work. Also, the world the Guardians exist in is a bit silly, or very silly, not sure how it will work once they need to live in the more serious universe of the Avengers...

Also, that whole:

Toy Story 2, among many others.

Minamu

I just saw it tonight and it was pretty good. Unfortunately, I ended up next to one of those "beautiful on the inside", supposedly, that Drax talked about. Ya'll know his hilarious laughter. I had a woman trying to emulate his laugh all throughout the entire movie right next to me... It drove us insane. I don't think she had ever been introduced to the concept of an inner voice, she reacted LOUDLY!!!! to pretty much everything all the time. We had to watch the end credits from the exit near the speakers just to get away and we could still hear her talking and laughing, commenting on every single "I am groot" in the credits... the room can take about 400 people and she talked over everyone :lol

I need to rewatch this at home ome day.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I didn't see Yondu coming. I was expecting a last minute resurrection right up until he got "cremated".

Really felt impactful. An upside to all MCU deaths being either impermanent or unimportant.

Yo me too I was really waiting for it, I was close to shedding a tear I thought Star Lord would have been able to bring him back with his father powers some how 😓

The film was fucking great one of the best superhero films I've ever seen everyone needs to see it

Blue Lou

Has anybody spotted a scene where Hulk is fighting an alien during the montage with Rocket, Yondu, and Kraglin hopping through space?

Astral Dog

So peter's dad was a giant God planet that looks like Kurt Russel?? And his mom a pink alien? very strange twist.

Im surprised at the sexual themes this movie has,not just all the jokes but there are some implications there with the dad planet only caring about reproducing , representing an egoic man with delusions that leaves his children and "wifes" behind like garbage.if he didn't looked so dumb it would be horror movie creepy.

Replicant

So peter's dad was a giant God planet that looks like Kurt Russel?? And his mom a pink alien? very strange twist.

No, his mom is just a normal Earthling. The pink alien was just a young girl Ego encountered when he first went beyond his own planet. Although I'm sure Ego mated with another Pink alien somewhere in his seeding timeline.

Im surprised at the sexual themes this movie has,not just all the jokes but there are some implications there with the dad planet only caring about reproducing , representing an egoic man with delusions that leaves his children and "wifes" behind like garbage.if he didn't looked so dumb it would be horror movie creepy.

Sadly it doesn't take an egoistic planet for this scenario to materialize in real life. That's part of what makes Peter's story somewhat relatable.

Astral Dog

Oh i thought he was talking about his mom when they show the pink alien it makes sense he later mentioned his human mom.

Im a bit surprised they showed restraint and his true form wasn't a gross giant phallic thing. D:

though that could been too obvious

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Jesus christ. Why do you always get so worked up about this? It really doesn't matter.

I am not worked out at all, I promise ;) I just fight Fake-News in an area where I am able to, I also always do this, too when someone claims that Disney makes Star Wars movies ;)

I am 100% calm.

Edit: When I sound a bit rude, I could change my catchphrase, it wasnt intended to come over aggressiv.

Fox doesnt own the Fantastic Four rights, stop spreading Fake News, Constantin Film owns the FF rights.

Telling someone to stop doing something implies they're doing it deliberately which he obviously wasn't. If someone is just under the wrong impression about something there is no need to be rude and accuse them of things.

Can't overstate how great both the soundtrack and the score are. Gunn should give other directors in the genre a lesson or two.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Telling someone to stop doing something implies they're doing it deliberately which he obviously wasn't. If someone is just under the wrong impression about something there is no need to be rude and accuse them of things.

Like stated, I didnt wanted to come off rude, so I will change my wording.

casiopao

Well, thats kinda boring. I mean, which character will survive and which will die is seen far far before the ending.

The story feels more or less the same Marvel story again and again. A bit tired with this story nowadays sadly.T_T

IbukiLordSA

Movie was good, I enjoyed it more than the first one. Had a good few laughs, nice to see Adam Warlock is coming. Has me excited for the next Avengers if he comes and goes one on one with Thanos.

Just didn't like how Stallone is playing such a badass character but nothing was shown, just a glimpse would have been cool but at the moment most people will just walk away thinking he is just a nobody in charge of a couple pirates.

Well, thats kinda boring. I mean, which character will survive and which will die is seen far far before the ending.

The story feels more or less the same Marvel story again and again. A bit tired with this story nowadays sadly.T_T

The overreliance on (surprise) death as a storytelling device is a cancer upon this medium and I fully blame Game of Thrones for it.

Chuckie

The overreliance on (surprise) death as a storytelling device is a cancer upon this medium and I fully blame Game of Thrones for it.

As a huge GoT fan.... I have to agree with you. I enjoyed it very much in GoT but it is by no means some sort of necessity.

Everyone saw Darth Vaders death and the heroes survival coming too. Didn't make it any less good.

Trunx28

Saw it with my son this saturday. Overall a nice SciFi parody movie. Best part was the intro with Baby Groot dancing around while everything happens in the background. Great 3D!

The story was pretty much forgettable and I had the feeling that Starlord fell pretty short: He appeared in the movie, but I never got the feeling that he was "there". Hard to explain, but Rocket got a lot more screentime and was the real hero of this movie - but that's probably only my perception.

Soundtrack great as ever. Perfect Popcorn-movie. 8/10

Fox doesnt own the Fantastic Four rights, stop spreading Fake News, Constantin Film owns the FF rights.

so, does Marvel make a deal with Constantin Film for Watcher to appear and can now make Fantastic Four movies?

I don't care if Fox own the rights or not.

El Topo

so, does Marvel make a deal with Constantin Film for Watcher to appear and can now make Fantastic Four movies?

I assume that they'd have to deal with Fox for that (for the most part) actually. Obviously the legal situation is complicated and we have no idea what deal Constantin Film and Fox actually struck.
If I had to guess, Constantin Film might be fine with all this as long as they keep the movie rights, the co-producer credit and the distribution rights for the DACH region. I don't think they're really involved much.

I think one of the biggest mistakes of the film was making the Sovereign goofy. When they're flying ships around that make Galaga noises and are constantly cracking jokes, it just takes away from their ability to present themselves as a threat.

Ronan may have been "boring" but the humor involved with him worked better BECAUSE he was a dire threat. Not being able to understand why the hell Starlord was dancing for example. Having these jokey villains with no personality really takes away any menace they may have had.

Oh well, at least Ego worked.

We don't even know if they had to make a deal to use the Watchers. People are just speculating.

I think one of the biggest mistakes of the film was making the Sovereign goofy. When they're flying ships around that make Galaga noises and are constantly cracking jokes, it just takes away from their ability to present themselves as a threat.

Ronan may have been "boring" but the humor involved with him worked better BECAUSE he was a dire threat. Not being able to understand why the hell Starlord was dancing for example. Having these jokey villains with no personality really takes away any menace they may have had.

Oh well, at least Ego worked.

I thought the Sovereign being such a conceited pack of douchebags worked really well alongside actual threats such as Ego and the Ravagers.

I think it had a big job coming off the freshness of the 1st movie, but while it doesn't hit that high...it sure has a fun time trying. Yondu stole the movie though, Rooker is so awesome.

Only negatives..I didn't understand a fucking word Stallone said and the stingers were all a let down, but the credits themselves were awesome.

Shit like this degrades the meaning of fake News, so when real important issues are brushed under the carpet or counter progressive facts are made up it goes unnoticed or ignored because people are sick of the phrase.

Top Bottom