• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

I can just imagine T'Challa's response to that.

I'm not entirely sure Wakandans would use it, but again, wouldn't be surprised if they did (though I'm sure it'd be way less than black Americans do…I think. Some Africans use the shit a ton because it's been so permeated through pop culture).

I can just imagine T'Challa's response to that.

iOQrHIl.jpg

Jonogunn

did not meet my hype but still pretty good

lack of action though especially in the middle. other than the staby stabby at the beginning drax didn't fight at all in the entire movie.

lack of action = less star lord wearing his mask which i don't like

it ran into the similar problem as age of ultron...too many jokes. both gunn and whedon took the funnies that made the first films great and went overboard.

Cuburt

If Vol 1 taught him anything it's that aimless pursuit of revenge earns him nothing. He nearly got the entire squad killed doing that. He says it lightly at the end of 1, almost as if he acknowledges it's out of reach/not worth pursuing.
He still has his bloodlust, but yeah his pursuit of vengeance is no longer his sole purpose, especially now that he has a new family. I bet as soon as Thanos appears he relapses hard though because his last quote to Gamora in 1 wasn't that he agreed with her that his quest for vengeance was over or that it was pointless, but that he put his energy in the wrong person. I mean that was the joke, that you think it was over then realize he hasn't learned a thing, but I think Gunn left that open for Drax to have a reason to still go after Thanos himself and I think they'll definitely explore that.

I'm not. Still under Disney. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they let Black Panther get away with dropping a "nigga" or two.
Which why I'm glad Disney does not own the movie rights to EVERYTHING, like X-Men. Pretty sure Logan would have not been made otherwise.

In regards to Blank Panther, did not read the comics. Do they use the n-word often?

People are complaining about Drax?
They are?

Other than Rocket, Drax is the best part about Vol. 2 for my money. So many great bits.

it ran into the similar problem as age of ultron...too many jokes. both gunn and whedon took the funnies that made the first films great and went overboard.

Feel like the jokes serve so much of a purpose in Guardians of the Galaxy that people need to just accept it. I can see if you thought they didn't hit, but I thought this movie's joke success rate was a lot better than the average MCU film's.

Which why I'm glad Disney does not own the movie rights to EVERYTHING, like X-Men. Pretty sure Logan would have not been made otherwise.

In regards to Blank Panther, did not read the comics. Do they use the n-word often?

They are?

Other than Rocket, Drax is the best part about Vol. 2 for my money. So many great bits.

I'd trade Logan for a ton of competently made X-Men films in a heartbeat.

Just caught it and thought it was great.

I actually liked the "lack" of a through-line beyond "The Guardians (and Starlord in particular) learn to truly come together as a family."

I also think Ego made for one of the better Marvel villains, primarily because Kurt Russel is the fucking best. The moment when Starlord finds out Ego killed his mother is really fantastic. There's zero time between Ego finishing his reveal and Peter shooting the hell out of him.

The film was funny, but it also had a TON of heart, and that for me is what's made the Guardian films some of my fav in th MCU.

LotusHD

Banned

No, unlike AoU, the majority of the jokes in this movie were actually funny, while some even serve a purpose. GOTG is so far the one series where they can keep doing what they're doing.

I hope that when Gunn eventually leaves Guardians that he still stays on as a producer or advisor for the galactic side of the MCU at least. You can tell that he really really cares about the world and its inhabitants. It's a shame he couldn't get Adam Warlock in time for Infinity War but I think I got a good idea of what they'll do with him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope that when Gunn eventually leaves Guardians that he still stays on as a producer or advisor for the galactic side of the MCU at least. You can tell that he really really cares about the world and its inhabitants. It's a shame he couldn't get Adam Warlock in time for Infinity War but I think I got a good idea of what they'll do with him.
He could get him but didnt wanted

hydruxo

did not meet my hype but still pretty good

lack of action though especially in the middle. other than the staby stabby at the beginning drax didn't fight at all in the entire movie.

lack of action = less star lord wearing his mask which i don't like

You can only go overboard on jokes if they don't land, and the humor in this movie was on point all the way throughout the whole thing.

Kin5290

That's because Drax's arc isn't about him being stabby stabby, it's about him coming to terms with his grief over the deaths of his family and coming to see Mantis as a surrogate daughter figure in a way.

Actually, speaking of Age of Ultron, people always rag on AoU and other superhero movies for shoehorning in an army of faceless grey mooks for the heroes to tear through on the way to the villain. I'm pretty surprised that GotG didn't do that, forcing action for the sake of action. Gamora and Nebula don't have a huge part in the final confrontation either, and what they do have revolves around their emotional story instead of their badassery.

WalshyB

I feel like there were too many jokes which kind of dragged me away from getting enticed into the story. The turd one made me cringe hard.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's because Drax's arc isn't about him being stabby stabby, it's about him coming to terms with his grief over the deaths of his family and coming to see Mantis as a surrogate daughter figure in a way.

Actually, speaking of Age of Ultron, people always rag on AoU and other superhero movies for shoehorning in an army of faceless grey mooks for the heroes to tear through on the way to the villain. I'm pretty surprised that GotG didn't do that, forcing action for the sake of action. Gamora and Nebula don't have a huge part in the final confrontation either, and what they do have revolves around their emotional story instead of their badassery.

There's also something amazing about Gamora and Nebula staring at those bones in horror. Like the reality of death, of what monsters like Ego and Thanos are, has dawned on them.

Gamora in particular must be crushed that Peter's father is as bad as hers.

Syriel

You can only go overboard on jokes if they don't land, and the humor in this movie was on point all the way throughout the whole thing.

Sounds like you had a great time watching the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

Don't expect the same out of Vol. 2 though, as much of it falls flat.

Original = Cool kids being cool.
Vol. 2 = Parents trying to emulate being cool kids.

There's also something amazing about Gamora and Nebula staring at those bones in horror. Like the reality of death, of what monsters like Ego and Thanos are, has dawned on them.

Gamora in particular must be crushed that Peter's father is as bad as hers.
But Thanos was her adoptive father like Yondu was for Peter. Her real parents were killed like Nebula's were. Peter had to kill his own father and watch his daddy die in his arms.

It is nowhere near that bad.

DeathyBoy

Banned
But Thanos was her adoptive father like Yondu was for Peter. Her real parents were killed like Nebula's were. Peter had to kill his own father and watch his daddy die in his arms.

My point was more that Gamora was suspicious, but until then she didn't know how fucked up Ego really was. To her the idea of Peter being allied with that must be nightmare fuel for her.

Kin5290

The original has the emotional depth of a thimble compared to this.

Volimar

After watching this, I don't really mind that they want to reboot Big Trouble in Little China...

...as long as they ditch the Rock and give it to Crisp Ratt.

Volimar

The only two off moments for me were the Tazerface (which paid off later) and the tape (which destroyed the tension and pacing of the scene).

MartyStu

Had a really big issue with the editing and the overall flow of the movie. The director REALLY needed to work on transitions.

In addition, the music was perhaps too stifling this time. Way too much of it. Same with the jokes, but as most of them land, the high quotient is just bearable.

That said, this movie is still quite good. I would rate it at around the first movie. I little worse in some aspects, a little better in others.

Ego is probably one of the better villains in the MCU. In fact, I think he may be my favorite.

Also, Gammora gets too many 'chick' moments. As is often the case with the sole female in a cast, she is written as being a bit of a shrill buzzkill at times. The character deserves better than that.

J_Viper

I haven't watched this yet, but as someone who enjoyed the hell out of the first one, I'm afraid this will turn out to be another Age of Ultron.

I watched the Double Toasted review, and those guys bringing up the increase in "goofiness", and its making me a bit sad.

Not that the first one wasn't goofy, but there was a balance there. It seems like this one might have over done it a tad.

I haven't watched this yet, but as someone who enjoyed the hell out of the first one, I'm afraid this will turn out to be another Age of Ultron.

I watched the Double Toasted review, and those guys bringing up the increase in "goofiness", and its making me a bit sad.

Not that the first one wasn't goofy, but there was a balance there. It seems like this one might have over done it a tad.

Almost everyone agrees there's more emotion to this one in addition to the humor.

Volimar

it's a comic book movie

with a talking raccoon

And it still ends up being pretty poignant.

Dominator

Will be curious for me to see how I feel about whoever kills Thanos. Right now I want Nebula and Gamora to end him, and I don't see any destruction or killing of someone else to upend the feeling of daughters wanting to kill their abusive father. Anyone else doing it will not have the impact for me.

It won't be them but I wish it would be.

Volimar

Will be curious for me to see how I feel about whoever kills Thanos. Right now I want Nebula and Gamora to end him, and I don't see any destruction or killing of someone else to upend the feeling of daughters wanting to kill their abusive father. Anyone else doing it will not have the impact for me.

It won't be them but I wish it would be.

1). It's Marvel so who says he dies?

2). His defeat will almost assuredly be a cheesy group effort.

3). I would be ecstatic for a moment where Gamora decides she's better than Thanos and spares him only for Nebula to say "I'm not" and kill him.

Kin5290

Also, Gammora gets too many 'chick' moments. As is often the case with the sole female in a cast, she is written as being a bit of a shrill buzzkill at times. The character deserves better than that.
She's improved a lot since the first movie, where she got a ridiculous amount of Chick moments and for some reason also served as the Heart of the group. Cynical, violent mercenary talking the team into charging into danger against an overwhelming threat for altruistic reasons instead of a pragmatic one? That's just dumb. Plus there's her scene of being cornered and intimidated by some random prison thugs just so Peter can swagger in and protect her with his white male heroness.

Her telling Quill that it's ok if they go with his dad and if he turns out to be evil they'll just kill him was pretty good, IMO.

Litan

Uh, what? Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Vol. 1 instead of 2? Because this isn't the slightest bit true.

She wasn't the sole female, there was Nebula and Mantis. And she wasnt a buzzkill, like in the first one. She had her funny moments too, but she's also the more serious and sensible member in the group.

I loved what Gunn did with her here. She was the only Guardian from the first that I didn't care for.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't think the Tazerface thing was supposed to be funny in itself, just how much the characters in this world thought it was funny. Which then has a big pay off when someone who you wouldn't expect it to think it was funny, especially in the context of the scene, found it funny.
Actually, Rocket not only gave me some of the biggest laughs of the movie, but also some of the biggest feels, so props to them.

Everyone was giving me feels.

Poor lil' Groot getting bullied or him crying when his friends had to go were really sad, too.

There was this mom next to me which was "awwwing" each time someone was mean to Baby Groot.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think the Tazerface thing was supposed to be funny in itself, just how much the characters in this world thought it was funny. Which then has a big pay off when someone who you wouldn't expect it to think it was funny, especially in the context of the scene, found it funny.

Yea this, and the fact that they kept hammering the joke at you and having everyone laugh at him, which slowly made it more and more funny to me, was what made me love it.

Dark_castle

Everyone was giving me feels.

Poor lil' Groot getting bullied or him crying when his friends had to go were really sad, too.

There was this mom next to me which was "awwwing" each time someone was mean to Baby Groot.

There was a lot of awww in my theatre. I wish I could shut them up.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yea this, and the fact that they kept hammering the joke at you and having everyone laugh at him, which slowly made it more and more funny to me, was what made me love it.

It's a Family Guy style joke that gets funnier through repetition, then stops being funny, but has a great payoff by Gunn.

He's a damn fine writer.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There was a lot of awww in my theatre. I wish I could shut them up.

Reactions like this is why I love seeing movies opening night, at least for Marvel/DC/Star Wars type movies. If it's something more serious, where I don't want people laughing at scenes that shouldn't be laughed at, I tend to watch it a few days later and at an odd time so the theater isn't too full.

Like I liked hearing that mom "aww" cus she was sad that people were fucking with Baby Groot and I liked that some bits completely killed the theater and everyone was laughing their asses off. It makes it more fun.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Reactions like this is why I love seeing movies opening night, at least for Marvel/DC/Star Wars type movies. If it's something more serious, where I don't want people laughing at scenes that shouldn't be laughed at, I tend to watch it a few days later and at an odd time so the theater isn't too full.

Like I liked hearing that mom "aww" cus she was sad that people were fucking with Baby Groot and I liked that some bits completely killed the theater and everyone was laughing their asses off. It makes it more fun.

The woman who yelled "fuck him up, Starlord" after the Ego tumour reveal made it a great cinema experience,

I love how people pretend to know exactly how many people were laughing at each specific joke. Like do you sit at the front and turn around to monitor each people's face expressions. How small are your theaters that you can hear if some one is laughing on the other side of the theater.

Top Bottom