• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

DJChuy

I loved it. I did enjoy the first one more though as it felt more focused and charming.

However Vol 2 had more emotional weight imo. The big revelation was fantastic, and everyone was into the movie after that. Funeral scene was also very well done.

This movie definitely made me love Yondu and Drax.

Pagusas

Elden Member
There were no stakes whatsoever because you don't think a blob that's swallowing all life to turn the planet into an extension of Ego is scary looking enough?

Do you even hear yourself?

....do you hear your self? No the giant blob was not scary, it was silly looking and lacked any sort of scale or direct emotional ties to it. Oh no it destroyed the Dairy Queen in no where USA, Oh no it's engulphing some random planet! There was no credible threat there, no real tension or emotion connections at risk.

Were you honestly on the edge of your seat worried about those planets even slightly? I just can't image anyone caring.

AndersK

....do you hear your self? No the giant blob was not scary, it was silly looking and lacked any sort of scale or direct emotional ties to it. Oh no it destroyed the Dairy Queen in no where USA, Oh no it's engulphing some random planet! There was no credible threat there, no real tension or emotion connections at risk.

Were you honestly on the edge of your seat worried about those planets even slightly? I just can't image anyone caring.

Unsurprisingly, all the stakes were present with the team during that final struggle. The blue blob stuff was just the immidiate consequence of them failing, a bomb with a timer, if you will. Its what ego wants to do, of course the movie Is gonna show a bit of it. You don't need to be intimidated by it destroying a dairy queen, all the stakes are present in the actual fight with ego.

Dalek

Just watched it. I found it boring honestly. So disappointed.

image.php

He planted those things on hundreds of planets, who cares if you didn't care about em 😭 One of em even appeared to be Xandar if my memory serves me correctly, which they spent the whole first movie protecting. There were stakes. You not caring is a you problem lmao

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I really liked it. It was always going to be hard to match the first one, but this one was an excellent follow-up.

Arkeband

Banned
I forgot to mention, I think the joke that got the biggest reaction was the Mary Poppins gag, which was well deserved by that point in the movie.

Really loved that no matter how mad they get at one another that they are a family. Really liked this movie. Marvel continues to make enjoyable movies for me :)

I forgot to mention, I think the joke that got the biggest reaction was the Mary Poppins gag, which was well deserved by that point in the movie.

I'm Mary poppins! Loved that scene lol.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Nah, I disagree. I mean, no, I wasn't on the edge of my fucking seat. It's not a thriller, so relax a little. But it was still a clear threat.

Oh, and they literally killed off one of the heroes, which I think is only the second time in the MCU ever. No stakes? Come on.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nah, I disagree. I mean, no, I wasn't on the edge of my fucking seat. It's not a thriller, so relax a little. But it was still a clear threat.

Oh, and they literally killed off one of the heroes, which I think is only the second time in the MCU ever. No stakes? Come on.

He wasn't a main hero and it was overly foreshadowed at the very beginning. Maybe I'm just not into guardians like you guys are, but nothing in this film felt earned or of any threat. Oh no the whistle guy from the first bit the dust as expect from the foreshadowing from the very beginning, didn't see that coming or expect it. maybe it's just seeing mechanical structure of the plot as something forced that's causing me to have this reaction. Everything was obvious. All the emotional parts of the film were trying to earn that funeral ending and it was just too in your face for me, to the point it became expect, uninteresting and boring

I still said it was ok, I just don't see at it anything special. It felt like Dr Strange, well made but completely forgettable and probably won't watch it again, ever. But it was pretty, had good music and I adore Karen Gillian.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

The stakes involved our heroes, this was more of a personal stories with them than and ending the universe type thing. I mean, it was still that, but literally no one but the Guardians will know what the hell just happened, most planets probably didn't have any die and they will not understand what the blue stuff is. Not every story has to be about our heroes saving the universe, to them, this was more about saving each other and they kinda saved the universe while doing it.

I wasn't at the edge of my seat because a DQ got destroyed, I was on the edge of my seat because I wanted the Guardians to kill the guy that murdered Peter's mom.

jph139

Liked it a lot. A notch or two below the original for me - poor pacing in the middle, I feel, and Drax felt a bit more "forced" this time around. Gamora is still stuck in the "team mom/love interest" box, which sucks, and Ego was really kind of a generic cosmic baddie, which wasn't unexpected. Still better than Ronan, though.

Other than that, I think it delivered. More emotionally resonant AND funnier than the first one, more creative visually, and of course tons more character moments. Particularly loved Nebula getting more attention, since she was the standout for me in the first one... my beautiful surly bald space princess...

And man, those hooks for the third installment!
Guardians vs. Adam Warlock? With the OG team (consisting of some KILLER actors) in the mix? I'm hyped.
If Gunn can stick the landing, I think this'll easily be the best comic book trilogy of all time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The stakes involved our heroes, this was more of a personal stories with them than and ending the universe type thing. I mean, it was still that, but literally no one but the Guardians will know what the hell just happened, most planets probably didn't have any die and they will not understand what the blue stuff is. Not every story has to be about our heroes saving the universe, to them, this was more about saving each other and they kinda saved the universe while doing it.

I wasn't at the edge of my seat because a DQ got destroyed, I was on the edge of my seat because I wanted the Guardians to kill the guy that murdered Peter's mom.

You make a good point but also I feel help enforce mine. You could have removed all the shots and story line of the other planets getting engulfed with the blob and still would have the exact same emotional impact in the film, not a thing would be lost. It was a throw away plot device to make the whole thing bigger than the immediate action.

CloudWolf

I'm honestly really surprised that so many people say they teared up at the ending. All the emotional stuff in this film was cliché as fuck IMO to the point of feeling like a parody. The only way they could've made it even more melodramatic was if Gunn had put Cat's in the Cradle in somewhere.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm honestly really surprised that so many people say they teared up at the ending. All the emotional stuff in this film was cliché as fuck IMO to the point of feeling like a parody. The only way they could've made it even more melodramatic was if Gunn had put Cat's in the Cradle in somewhere.

But he's Mary Poppins y'all...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You make a good point but also I feel help enforce mine. You could have removed all the shots and story line of the other planets getting engulfed with the blob and still would have the exact same emotional impact in the film, not a thing would be lost. It was a throw away plot device to make the whole thing bigger than the immediate action.

It gives context to what Ego is actually doing. I mean, he told us that when he starts doing it but him just saying "it has begun" or something like that doesn't make it clear what exactly he is doing.

It's kinda like when Tarkin blows up Alderaan, it's more about how Lea feels about it rather than the actually people dying.

He wasn't a main hero and it was overly foreshadowed at the very beginning. Maybe I'm just not into guardians like you guys are, but nothing in this film felt earned or of any threat. Oh no the whistle guy from the first bit the dust as expect from the foreshadowing from the very beginning, didn't see that coming or expect it. maybe it's just seeing mechanical structure of the plot as something forced that's causing me to have this reaction. Everything was obvious. All the emotional parts of the film were trying to earn that funeral ending and it was just too in your face for me, to the point it became expect, uninteresting and boring

I still said it was ok, I just don't see at it anything special. It felt like Dr Strange, well made but completely forgettable and probably won't watch it again, ever. But it was pretty, had good music and I adore Karen Gillian.

I can understand not caring about a threat, but saying there was no threat in a film when there clearly was is just objectively wrong. That's all. *shrug*

AndersK

Knowing something is coming does not mean it can't hit you. It can enhance stuff too. Fair game it did not work for you, foreshadowing just ain't a Reason, really. I knew damn near everyone was going to die in the first Alien, the great part was the how.

deafmedal

Super great, liked it as much as the first one! Mary Poppins gag was freakin great, also liked when Mantis got whacked then Drax told her to watch out, kid and I both busted out laughing. Movie had me in tears, funniest thing I've seen since Lego Movie, I may have laughed even more here.
Yondu's death was sad, brilliant send off. Wasn't sure about Stone but he didn't muck it up. I was legit pissed at the way those jack asses treated Groot. Teenage Groot scene was great asswell. And that Hoff song at the end, awesome. I did like the soundtrack from the first film better.
Maybe it's the scifi-ish setting, I dunno, but these are my favorite Marvel movies. Never really got into comics as a kid but these GOTG movies just do something right for me.

Might even go check it out in 3D in the next couple of weeks 8)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Knowing something is coming does not mean it can't hit you. It can enhance stuff too. Fair game it did not work for you, foreshadowing just ain't a Reason, really. I knew damn near everyone was going to die in the first Alien, the great part was the how.

Absolutely 100% agree, foreshadowing is a tool, one that can be used to GREAT effect, and knowing the future in a narrative can be a great way to do things, so many good films have made it work perfectly (moulin rouge comes to mind). I, personally, just feel this one beat us over the head with things to much, it tried to hard, made things too obvious and really really wanted us to care and tear up in the end. For me it was heavy handed and backfired. For others it didn't. I get and respect that, just sharing my throughs.

Just watched it .

I loved every minute of it.

The jokes wereon point , the action was great and the sad moments worked.

The movie was colorfull , the 3d was correctly done , despite so many 3d effects , it never felt wrong and overall , even the smallest nitpicks are too small for me to care.

10/10 .. would watch stan lee talk about his adventures with the watchers every day , every hour.

AndersK

Absolutely 100% agree, foreshadowing is a tool, one that can be used to GREAT effect, and knowing the future in a narrative can be a great way to do things, so many good films have made it work perfectly (moulin rouge comes to mind). I, personally, just feel this one beat us over the head with things to much, it tried to hard, made things too obvious and really really wanted us to care and tear up in the end. For me it was heavy handed and backfired. For others it didn't. I get and respect that, just sharing my throughs.

Ahh, i understand . Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Bizazedo

Thought the first one was better. This one felt goofier than the first. Best way I can explain it is that the first one had jokes and funnies that felt natural. The sequel felt more built around the funnies and jokes than the first, it didn't get there as naturally.

I still enjoyed it, though, thumbs up.

I was pleased / psyched to see Ben Browder from Farscape, but disappointed he was just in the one scene.

Got

Banned
Saw it for the second time today. Even better on second viewing. The story is pitch perfect and the characterization of everyone is amazing. Best villain since Loki which isn't hard but still.

BSherrod

Even as a comic guy I have barely no idea about what makes Adam Warlock cool or the possibilities of him in the next movie adds? Anybody want to fill me in.

Film was excellent in every aspect. Visuals, audio, script, and acting at parts. A little bit of pacing improvement here and there would've been nice but they still nailed what they were going for.

Saw it last night, and I think at this point GotG just isn't for me. Jokes landed less than half of the time for me, and some were so bad like when Kraglin says that awful line after Nebula gives her dark backstory. Baby Groot felt like just a ploy to prod the audience's emotions and got annoying fast. Also, the story was just too cliché and predictable for me.

However, I did really like that Gamora had more screen time/exposition, that was my biggest problem with the first. Kraglin and Yandu were probably my favorite characters in the movie, and I hope we get more Kraglin in future movies.

Just saw it. Honestly felt the first movie was just OK. This one was fantastic. More emotional connection to the characters and the humor was off the charts and full of great gags. Love that an action comedy of this sort can be pulled off successfully with great emotional drama.

Cuburt

After watching this, I don't really mind that they want to reboot Big Trouble in Little China...

...as long as they ditch the Rock and give it to Crisp Ratt.
I read Taika Waititi edited a bunch of clips of BTiLC together when making his pitch for Thor Ragnarok so you might get your wish in some way.
The only two off moments for me were the Tazerface (which paid off later) and the tape (which destroyed the tension and pacing of the scene).
While I generally agree with this sentiment, after watching it again, the Tazerface gag remind me a lot of a Monty Python or Mel Brookes gag. It's a little humorous how serious he takes it which is why it pays off later and even gets a little chuckle out of me when his crew are laughing under their breath. I think where it fails is that it's a dumb name but not dumb enough that it elicits the reaction Rocket has, so it's hard to laugh along with him. Maybe if more people knew Taserface from the comics it would at least have that inside joke aspect to it.
Also, the opening sequence's long shot was an incredible way to kick things off. I was dying.
It's hilarious to think Gunn used such an expensive visual effect with really cool choreography in a blurry background fight while everyone focuses on Gunn's goofy improvised Groot dancing instead. I'd love to be a fly on the wall as Gunn pitches the idea to Feige and other execs. "I need more money for the background fight everyone will ignore".

If not for the blue blobs on every planet in the galaxy, they wouldn't have any reason to be fighting Ego. If not for the blobs Ego wouldn't have any power outside of his planet. The worst he could do is destroy his own planet, killing himself, which is what they end up having to do.

He planted those things on hundreds of planets, who cares if you didn't care about em 😭 One of em even appeared to be Xandar if my memory serves me correctly, which they spent the whole first movie protecting. There were stakes. You not caring is a you problem lmao
Yup.

Tansut

Just saw it earlier today. tfw a talking raccoon has a charcater arc that you went through irl

So yeah, I liked it a lot and thought it was really good, but I think I prefer the first maybe? It's hard to gauge because I know some of the factor is that the freshness is gone. While there are higher emotional highs and an actual good villain, some of the jokes were goofy as fuck. Which isn't problematic but it makes the tone of the movie jump all over the map.

Overall I'm not sure it exceeds the first but it's also a worthy follow up for sure.

jph139

Even as a comic guy I have barely no idea about what makes Adam Warlock cool or the possibilities of him in the next movie adds? Anybody want to fill me in.

I'm sort of in the same boat - like, I've read Cosmic Marvel from Annihilation onward, but never really "got" Adam Warlock. But I picked up the Marvel Masterworks for him earlier somewhat coincidentally, and Roy Thomas said the following in the introduction:

"The two main spurs to his creation were Jesus Christ Superstar and, in a vaguer sense, Jack Kirby's 'Fourth World' comics at DC...I simply thought that, since there's always been a messianic side to super heroes, which had recently been embodied by the Silver Surfer in particular, perhaps it was time to carry that notion to the next level."

So, like, a 70s style messiah superhero that takes the "cosmic philosopher" archetype that comics are so fond of to the next level. Bitchin'. Hopefully he can fill the void in our sad, Surfer-less MCU.

Quick

Banned
Watched it again tonight, and I only just caught Peter's grandfather in one of the scenes with the giant Ego blob growing.

He's in the blue car getting pushed.

Or, I'm pretty sure it's him.

Top Bottom