• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

I loved the movie. I want to watch it again but don't want to pay... or drive to the theater... lol..

My one problem was...

At some point during the movie but well into the movie they were on Ego and just before Ego showed himself to be a asshole I thought to myself "wait a minute! Where the hell is the threat? Where's the threat to the Galaxy? Are they going to have some drive by villain?" Just after I thought that Ego showed himself to be a asshole and all was good with the world.

I liked the Gamora scenes with her sister. For some reason I got invested in those scenes. I wish they spent a few more scenes with those two together.

Groot - was Okay during the movie but I love him during the ending credits.

Drax - was amazing. I liked how Marvel convey Drax sadness threw Mantis. It added to his character. Favorite character this movie.

Rocket Raccoon - eh... I liked him but wasn't impressed. I was expecting more from his character this movie. He had his moments though.

StarLord - I liked him this movie but for different reasons I liked him in the first movie. He wasn't as out there and as funny as he was in the first movie but he did grow as a character. Fucking David Hasselhoff!!! Trololololol!!!

Adam Warlock - I was like "Yo! That's Adam Warlock!" Everyone else in the theater was like "who the fuck is this guy?"

Love the funeral scene. I don't like the fact they killed off Ego but understandable considering that would've eventually made Peter OP.

I'm Mary Poppins ya'll!!!!

Arkeband

Banned
Downplaying the threat as "a blob eating a Dairy Queen" is kind of silly as it zoomed out a few times and showed it devouring entire cities and earlier showed it capable of devouring planets, possibly thousands or even the entire universe.

dankir

Watched it again tonight, and I only just caught Peter's grandfather in one of the scenes with the giant Ego blob growing.

He's in the blue car getting pushed.

Or, I'm pretty sure it's him.

Oh with the black lady? I was wondering they showed them too.

This is a conversation I had during one of the post-credits scenes.
Friend 1: Who could that be?
Friend 2: I think it's Captain Atom.
Friend 1: Google it
Friend 2: It says its DC
Friend 1: So DC bought the rights to it?
Me: I think it's this Adam Warlock
Friend 1 and Friend 2: Who?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This is a conversation I had during one of the post-credits scenes.
Friend 1: Who could that be?
Friend 2: I think it's this person.
Friend 1: Google it
Friend 2: It says its DC
Friend 1: So DC bought the rights to it?
Me: I think it's this guy
Friend 1 and Friend 2: Who?

BUT WHO WAS GUY

Speevy

Banned
Downplaying the threat as "a blob eating a Dairy Queen" is kind of silly as it zoomed out a few times and showed it devouring entire cities and earlier showed it capable of devouring planets, possibly thousands or even the entire universe.

The day Ego's blob devoured a Dairy Queen and possibly the entire city in which it presided was the most important day of his life.

But for The Avengers, it was Tuesday.

Christian

Just got out of the movie with the waifu. First night out since the birth of our first child. Left the little dude with the parents-in-law. Totally worth it. God, I love cosmic Marvel. AMAZING.

Zen Aku

At some point during the movie but well into the movie they were on Ego and just before Ego showed himself to be a asshole I thought to myself "wait a minute! Where the hell is the threat? Where's the threat to the Galaxy? Are they going to have some drive by villain?" Just after I thought that Ego showed himself to be a asshole and all was good with the world.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of this. It took me till after Ego turned bad that I realized "oh shit, he's the villain!" Because he sold the good dad angle really well. I thought Ego and Quill was going to have some badass father/son final battle moment together. While that did happened, they were on opposite side. o_O

I think that's a testament to how good Russell was, that we can see his bad revelation coming a mile away but we were still shocked by it.

The day Ego's blob devoured a Dairy Queen and possibly the entire city in which it presided was the most important day of his life.

But for The Avengers, it was Tuesday.
Taco Tuesday. Wait till Thanos come during Swarma Sunday. He's gonna get fucked.

10/10 for me.

Guardians got the action comedy market cornered.

Ego was awesome and angry face Ego Planet was awesome.

As was Pratt when Ego admitted to killing his mom

I missed his explanation for why he killed his mom. Was it simply because he didn't want to go back to Earth anymore (because then he'd never want to leave?). Is that correct? So instead of being stuck there in love (and maybe losing his immortality), he just put a tumor in her head and let her die? lol. clown shit.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I loved the movie. I want to watch it again but don't want to pay... or drive to the theater... lol..

My one problem was...

I liked the Gamora scenes with her sister. For some reason I got invested in those scenes. I wish they spent a few more scenes with those two together.

Groot - was Okay during the movie but I love him during the ending credits.

Drax - was amazing. I liked how Marvel convey Drax sadness threw Mantis. It added to his character. Favorite character this movie.

Rocket Raccoon - eh... I liked him but wasn't impressed. I was expecting more from his character this movie. He had his moments though.

StarLord - I liked him this movie but for different reasons I liked him in the first movie. He wasn't as out there and as funny as he was in the first movie but he did grow as a character. Fucking David Hasselhoff!!! Trololololol!!!

Adam Warlock - I was like "Yo! That's Adam Warlock!" Everyone else in the theater was like "who the fuck is this guy?"

Love the funeral scene. I don't like the fact they killed off Ego but understandable considering that would've eventually made Peter OP.

I'm Mary Poppins ya'll!!!!
The thing with killing ego tho is why would that take away SL's power? He inherited the power by blood so why would his powers die with ego, he should still have it, right?

Kelsdesu

Ego being a Celestial is bit weird for me. How could he not know about the others? Hopefully he is explained as still an infant sometime in the future. That would also explain why he didn't have the actual body we are used to seeing.

The thing with killing ego tho is why would that take away SL's power? He inherited the power by blood so why would his powers die with ego, he should still have it, right?

I think he should still retain his part Celestial-hood but loses all manifestation powers. Remember that it took Ego millenia to get to the point that he could do what he did and it was Ego's planet specifically that allowed Peter to manifest anything. Like it magnified Peter's abilities.

This way would allow Peter to do things like, temporarily hold Infinity Stones but there would never be enough time for him to manifest Ego-like powers specifically since his human side makes him mortal.

I think he should still retain his part Celestial-hood but loses all manifestation powers. Remember that it took Ego millenia to get to the point that he could do what he did and it was Ego's planet specifically that allowed Peter to manifest anything. Like it magnified Peter's abilities.

This way would allow Peter to do things like, temporarily hold Infinity Stones but there would never be enough time for him to manifest Ego-like powers specifically since his human side makes him mortal.

Hopefully this is the case. Because him getting thrown around like a rag doll in the future will seem awkward with him being an ordinary guy again.

The Kree

Banned
Why is this a bad thing? Haven't read the comics so I don't know what being a Celestial intels.

Because his name is Ego. It kinda diminishes him if he's a random disembodied mind from another species. Identifying him as a Celestial makes it too easy to guess why he exists and where comes from. He'd be a scarier concept if he's one of a kind. They could have framed him as an abstract entity like Death or Eternity.

MoeDabs

10/10 for me.

Guardians got the action comedy market cornered.

I missed his explanation for why he killed his mom. Was it simply because he didn't want to go back to Earth anymore (because then he'd never want to leave?). Is that correct? So instead of being stuck there in love (and maybe losing his immortality), he just put a tumor in her head and let her die? lol. clown shit.

Correct. Peter's immediate reaction was amazing.

Because his name is Ego. It kinda diminishes him if he's a random disembodied mind from another species. Identifying him as a Celestial makes it too easy to guess why he exists and where comes from. He'd be a scarier concept if he's one of a kind. They could have framed him as an abstract entity like Death or Eternity.

Ironically, his master plan fit his name perfectly though.

Correct. Peter's immediate reaction was amazing.

Yes it was. lol

And now that I think about it, what he did to Peter's mom fits his name perfectly as well.

The Kree

Banned

They needed an excuse to stage a super powered god fight and still have Peter be human after it ends because he just needs to be the human in the group. It's like when Chitauri all drop dead after the portal closes. It's lame, but it wraps things up neatly without leaving any complications behind.

Kelsdesu

That would have been better for me, but making him an abstract means you would have to change the entire story since you cant kill an abstract.

Speevy

Banned
They needed an excuse to stage a super powered god fight and still have Peter be human after it ends because he just needs to be the human in the group. It's like when Chitauri all drop dead after the portal closes. It's lame, but it wraps things up neatly without leaving any complications behind.

That's what I was asking about earlier in the thread. I thought they were making Peter more powerful permanently.

Volimar

That would have been better for me, but making him an abstract means you would have to change the entire story since you cant kill an abstract.

Ask the Living Tribunal if you can kill an abstract.

Actually, he may be unavailable. Better ask Order and Chaos.

The Kree

Banned

All the abstracts were killed twice in the last three years in the books. LOL

They were just replaced last month though by new abstracts.

MartyStu

Uh, what? Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Vol. 1 instead of 2? Because this isn't the slightest bit true.

She wasn't the sole female, there was Nebula and Mantis. And she wasnt a buzzkill, like in the first one. She had her funny moments too, but she's also the more serious and sensible member in the group.

I loved what Gunn did with her here. She was the only Guardian from the first that I didn't care for.

I watched them back to back, so there is that. But I distinctly remember several situations where she is delegated to being the mother-hen like voice of reason. Especially when dealing with Rocket and Peter earlier on.

And Nebula and Mantis are sort of outside the core group, but you are right, she is not the only female. Perhaps this is a criticisms better fitting the first movie, but it was fresh in my mind when I watched the second one. Particularly because I really like Gamorra from the comics, and I find she is the furthest away from her source material.

Still, I really liked her interactions with Nebula. That probably saved her character for me.

Volimar

I really really want a solo project with Nebula. A film, a mini series, web shorts, watercolors, I don't care. Karen Gillan absolutely kills in that role.

Kelsdesu

All the abstracts were killed twice in the last three years in the books. LOL

They were just replaced last month though by new abstracts.

Killed or just went away? I count nothing in ANAD Marvel.

Ask the Living Tribunal if you can kill an abstract.

Actually, he may be unavailable. Better ask Order and Chaos.

Are abstracts not tied to existence? As I understood it you could inprison them, or incapacitate, but not kill.

Having T.O.A. or the Living trubunal involved in the movie would be wasted. Inwant to see them in infonity war.

Etzer

Just got out of the theater. Absolutely loved it.

That Zune joke killed. I like that they went the extra
mile and got the Zune Premium earphones, too. 😂

The Kree

Banned
Killed or just went away? I count nothing in ANAD Marvel.

Are abstracts not tied to existence? As I understood it you could inprison them, or incapacitate, but not kill.

Having T.O.A. or the Living trubunal involved in the movie would be wasted. Inwant to see them in infonity war.

In-Betweener, Order, and Chaos sorta all ate each other and formed a new thing called Logos after killing Living Tribunal.

Replicant

Guardians of the Galaxy, where no one has a good father in their life.

Bad father is such a prominent theme in scifi, well actually many stories. Unfortunately I had one as well and the fact that this theme seems used often makes me wonder if good fathers are anomalies in life.

I watched them back to back, so there is that. But I distinctly remember several situations where she is delegated to being the mother-hen like voice of reason. Especially when dealing with Rocket and Peter earlier on.

And Nebula and Mantis are sort of outside the core group, but you are right, she is not the only female. Perhaps this is a criticisms better fitting the first movie, but it was fresh in my mind when I watched the second one. Particularly because I really like Gamorra from the comics, and I find she is the furthest away from her source material.

Still, I really liked her interactions with Nebula. That probably saved her character for me.

Mantis is part of the core group going forward, she's even going to be in Infinity War. Nebula might not technically be part of the team, but I expect her to serve just as large a role in Vol. 3.

Kelsdesu

In-Betweener, Order, and Chaos sorta all ate each other and formed a new thing called Logos after killing Living Tribunal.

Ran credit checks. You right; ima hold the L on that, but in my head the abstracts are basically living ideas. How do you kill that?

Is there a list of which songs from the soundtrack played with which scenes. I'm having an argument with a friend about which song was playing during certain parts and I'd love a list.

Really enjoyed it. Thought it was a little too heavy on the jokes at times and leaned a lot on baby griot humour. Otherwise it was great and had a lot of heart.

Badass Rocket and Yondu scenes.

J_Viper

Seems like my fears of this turning out underwhelming were wrong to have

I thought it was excellent. The baby Groot intro was a bit obnoxious, in a Borderlands way, but the movie recovered quickly and never let up for me.

Slayven

I keep going back to the scene where Drax is looking serene and at peace but Mantis barely touched him and broke down.

Also it goes back to what Drax was telling peter "There are two types of people, ones that dance and those that don't"

This film has a ton of call backs

I keep going back to the scene where Drax is looking serene and at peace but Mantis barely touched him and broke down.
It might be my favorite scene from the middle section of the movie, in hindsight: she sees and feels the emotion Drax has for his daughter, and releases how much of a monster Ego is to kill thousands of his own children.

Top Bottom