• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

Zen Aku

Gunn can fucking nail the emotions. I agree that scene in Guardians 1 was incredible, and I adored the scene in Guardians 2 where Yondu says he controlled the arrow not with his head, but with his heart, and it showed those flashes of Quill with the various Guardians. Beautiful stuff.

Guardians has HEART in spades, and that makes up for its missteps for me. You can feel the love poured all over these films

I fucking love that the song used for that scene is called "Black Tears" which you can also hear in the main theme for the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I still can't believe that Marvel somehow made us fell in love with a bunch of misfits that almost no one knew about 4 years ago. Now they're recognizable everywhere.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ever since Thor Ragnarok was announced, I've assumed that whoever the villain in the marketing was would be a feint, and the film would end with Thanos launching an assult on Asgard and destroying it utterly.

Thanos doing so and killing Odin would be an excellent way of establishing him.

Hela is set up as the villain in the trailer but when she says "Asgard...is dead" she almost looks sad so im pretty sure she has nothing to do with the actual Ragnarok.

Zetta

I need the clip of ego telling peter he gave his mum cancer

When Ego said I knew if I went back a fourth time I wouldn't be able to leave I just said "oh no" outloud lol. This was just a great scene all together. This movie had the most feeling out of all the MCU and was just all around fantastic.

What was that team at the end Stallone was saying he was glad to be back together?

It's a reference to the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

valentinoguardians.jpg

Stallone - Starhawk (Flying Yellow/Purple Dude)
Michael Rosenbaum - Martinex (Crystal Dude)
Michelle Yeoh - Aleta (Fire Hair)
Ving Rhames - Charlie-27 (Big White Dude)

Galactus is showing up when Fox realizes that they can't make F4 happen so they sell them to Marvel.

I'm operating under the assumption this has already happened tbh. I don't believe for a second the Watchers was something they could use if it hadn't. I don't expect them to reveal anything until this phase is over with though.

I fucking love that the song used for that scene is called "Black Tears" which you can also hear in the main theme for the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I still can't believe that Marvel somehow made us fell in love with a bunch of misfits that almost no one knew about 4 years ago. Now they're recognizable everywhere.

I remember reading an interview where Gunn says Tyler Bates played Black Tears for him the first time and he damn near bawled listening to it (knowing, of course, how he would use it). It's one of like 3 tracks from the original score that's still on my phone. That brief moment where they seem to have contained the stone's power and they all glare at Ronan, followed by that iconic line from Peter? Powerful shit.

....do you hear your self? No the giant blob was not scary, it was silly looking and lacked any sort of scale or direct emotional ties to it. Oh no it destroyed the Dairy Queen in no where USA, Oh no it's engulphing some random planet! There was no credible threat there, no real tension or emotion connections at risk.

Were you honestly on the edge of your seat worried about those planets even slightly? I just can't image anyone caring.

Was it Ant Man's Dairy Queen?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Very few things make me happier than the fact that Rocket Raccoon and Groot have become household names.

Several years ago...

DC: let's reboot the most popular super heroes ever!

Marvel: let's do a movie about a talking raccoon and a tree that says 3 words

ZeoVGM

Banned
literally an audible gasp all throughout the theater when Ego dropped the cancer bomb.

Same reaction in my theater. A number of legitimate gasps.

I was thinking it throughout the film but honestly thought Ego might just be a good guy with the wrong intentions and that he accidentally gave her cancer.

But nope, it was purposeful and he dropped that bomb in the harshest way possible.

m0dus

Banned
Same reaction in my theater. A number of legitimate gasps.

I was thinking it throughout the film but honestly thought Ego might just be a good guy with the wrong intentions and that he accidentally gave her cancer.

But nope, it was purposeful and he dropped that bomb in the harshest way possible.

Literally popped into my head at that moment:
8fHBbXS.jpg

RIP Heimdall

Easily defeating Odin, if not killing him, would be a good measure for the moviegoing audience I think. Without the stones, he's close to Odin's power level. With a stone or two he might have an edge. Especially if he can fight him before Odin can call up the full power of the Odinforce.
Whether that will be a good measure or not depends entirely on what happens in Ragnarok. I don't recall Odin getting off his throne to do much to date. He was sick in most of Thor 1 and I don't really remember him doing much in Thor 2.

In fact the only people that we've seen demonstrate superior power in the Thor (movie) universe is Thor. If they're going to use someone as fodder to demonstrate Thanos' power, they're probably going to have to build them up in Ragnarok. Whoever it is. Otherwise, the movie going audience might not have the kind of perspective that you're suggesting.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Overall, my initial impression upon leaving the theater was that I liked the first one better. But this movie had some great, great moments.

My only minor gripes were that I wasn't sure I could buy the Nebula turn and I think Gunn should probably tone it down with the potty humor. I get that it's his kind of humor but I just felt like there was one too many of those kind of jokes.

Renpatsu

Casting Kurt Russell with his history of affable charismatic characters is completely on point for what Gunn wanted to achieve following this reveal and Ego's true character.

Zen Aku

My only minor gripes were that I wasn't sure I could buy the Nebula turn and I think Gunn should probably tone it down with the potty humor. I get that it's his kind of humor but I just felt like there was one too many of those kind of jokes.

Were you a bit distracted by the potty humor? you big turd blossom.

Slayven

It's a reference to the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

valentinoguardians.jpg

Stallone - Starhawk (Flying Yellow/Purple Dude)
Michael Rosenbaum - Martinex (Crystal Dude)
Michelle Yeoh - Aleta (Fire Hair)
Ving Rhames - Charlie-27 (Big White Dude)

You mixing Nikki with Aleta

39a9e60c5aca84f1a84cd5afaf83fc79.jpg

I am disappointed in you

Joeku

Gunn can fucking nail the emotions. I agree that scene in Guardians 1 was incredible, and I adored the scene in Guardians 2 where Yondu says he controlled the arrow not with his head, but with his heart, and it showed those flashes of Quill with the various Guardians. Beautiful stuff.

Guardians has HEART in spades, and that makes up for its missteps for me. You can feel the love poured all over these films

There's a little too much of characters describing how they feel versus expressing how they feel, and that is some weak screenwriting. Yondu was especially bogged down by this.

BSherrod

I'm sort of in the same boat - like, I've read Cosmic Marvel from Annihilation onward, but never really "got" Adam Warlock. But I picked up the Marvel Masterworks for him earlier somewhat coincidentally, and Roy Thomas said the following in the introduction:

"The two main spurs to his creation were Jesus Christ Superstar and, in a vaguer sense, Jack Kirby's 'Fourth World' comics at DC...I simply thought that, since there's always been a messianic side to super heroes, which had recently been embodied by the Silver Surfer in particular, perhaps it was time to carry that notion to the next level."

So, like, a 70s style messiah superhero that takes the "cosmic philosopher" archetype that comics are so fond of to the next level. Bitchin'. Hopefully he can fill the void in our sad, Surfer-less MCU.

Thanks man, great info!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fucking loved it. So colorful, stronger use of the characters, more emotional poignancy. I liked the first movie a lot but the main story, villain, and action scenes were all underwhelming. It was propped up by its characters.

But this felt so much stronger on all fronts, not necessarily because it's better made or whatever, but purely because you're invested in the characters and they dig much deeper with them.

RIP Yondu. Michael Rooker owned the role here. Kurt Russell dropping the cancer bomb literally made me say "you motherfucker" in the theater.

I'm operating under the assumption this has already happened tbh. I don't believe for a second the Watchers was something they could use if it hadn't. I don't expect them to reveal anything until this phase is over with though

The watchers are shared between Fox and Marvel just like Quicksilver and Scarlet.

http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-kevin-feige-interview/2/

And that’s also a question I had, the Watchers, aren’t they Fantastic Four owned by Fox? Has there been a deal made?

No. There’s joint custody with a number of things. There are certain characters that they have, but races that we share. If that makes sense?

First act was good.

Second act was muddy.

Third Act is where Gunn sticks the landing.

I agree that the first one is overall a more solid movie but man. Guardians 2 is not a bad follow up at all.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Please let John C. Reilly get one more scene.

He's gonna make an SOS call to Quill.

Rey: Starlord...
Quill: How'd you get this number?
Rey: It's Thanos. He's attacked Xandao and stole the Infinity Stone. And Peter... Peter...
Quill: Yeah?
Rey: He's one hundred percent a dick.

(Xandar explodes)

opricnik

Banned
They really did show that woman (was rip-off Hela) for purpose right? many people confused her with Thor trailer lol. even voice was imitating

Keihart

I went into this movie really blind, so as soon as he said the name Ego, I got a huge grin on my face.

I can't believe they went with Ego for the second movie and Quills origin. And the watchers? And Adam?

Fuck. Movie was filled with tons of awesome moments.

Also, the Gurren Lagann line. Amazing.

I wonder if that line is a reference to something else or is a Gurren Lagann reference indeed.

Just got out of the theater. Absolutely loved it.

That Zune joke killed. I like that they went the extra
mile and got the Zune Premium earphones, too. 😂

Couldn't help but wonder if somehow the Zune aftermarket booms because of this. I just picture people being like "What's a Zune?" and have to have one. How perfect would that be? lol

The thing with killing ego tho is why would that take away SL's power? He inherited the power by blood so why would his powers die with ego, he should still have it, right?

I don't think Ego fully knows what he's capable of. He called himself a Celestial but seems to be unaware that there are more Celestials in the Universe. I don't think he's dead and Peter lost he's immortality and Celestial Powers. I think they needed to get rid of those powers for now because that would've made Peter way too OP.

Top Bottom