• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge to close. Sony makes changes to European studios structure

ps3ud0

Well thats shit news - would have hoped for similar treatment as Evo got, not a good look Sony - really feels like theres much less slack for poor performance this gen than there was during the PS3. Outside of sales I cant see where GG Cambridge put a foot wrong...

Shocking how much of a husk the UK game industry has become - damn those dreams of learning to program on some obscure home computer in the 80s!

ps3ud0 8)

dezzy8

I wish Sony would have let them continue with the Killzone series since mercenaries was so good. They also knocked it out the park with RIGS. Wtf is with all these devs going under?

My likelihood of buying psvr dropped some more. I dont trust sony to standby platforms other than mainline consoles.

This is another big takeaway. Just as people point to Scalebound's cancellation as an indication of Microsoft being unwilling to take risks, this closure shows Sony isn't exactly backing PSVR to the hilt.

The weird thing about Cambridge being shut is since last gen, they seem to have always delivered what Sony wanted.

Well-made tie-in to popular TV show? Yep.

Tech support for struggling European-made games on PS3? You got it.

Incredibly well-made portable version of new "Play-Create-Share" hit IP at a time when the console in question was dying? Yep.

Incredibly well-made portable spinoff of Sony's premier FPS franchise? Check.

New IP showing the possibilities of Sony's new hardware addon? Uh-huh.

But it seems none of that was enough.

xabbott

...From what I've read and heard, RIGS is maybe one of the top 3 VR games released - what more could the studio have done?

I don't think it was a top game in any way other than possibly marketing. I don't think it sold well digitally or in retail. (Full year of download sales here)

Even those that liked it didn't seem to really push it as one of the must have titles. I have a PSVR and I tried the demo. Seemed ok but wasn't the type of game I wanted for vr.

Edit: They did make the only Killzone title I liked though...

nampad

It has been, starting around the end of the PS3/launch of PS4.

http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

And that went as shitty as everything Yoshida touches. Puppeteer and Rain bombed so hard. Really "smart" releasing both of those games as PS3 exclusives while platforms like Vita needed more software and would probably have been a better choice.

And let's not forget the masterpiece Knack.

The weird thing about Cambridge being shut is since last gen, they seem to have always delivered what Sony wanted.

Incredibly well-made portable version of new "Play-Create-Share" hit IP at a time when the console in question was dying? Yep.

Software for a PS3 TV addon? Yep

And that went as shitty as everything Yoshida touches. Puppeteer and Rain bombed so hard. Really "smart" releasing both of those games as PS3 exclusives while platforms like Vita needed more software and would probably have been a better choice.

And let's not forget the masterpiece Knack.

Releasing those games, especially Puppeteer at the end of the PS3 was one of the things that gave Sony a lot of good will going into PS4, that late support with brand new games though so it was a trade off.
They should have remastered them by now though since they came out so late.

Also, it seems like those were small-ish projects designed to get the processes in order again.

nampad

Releasing those games, especially Puppeteer at the end of the PS3 was one of the things that gave Sony a lot of good will going into PS4, that late support with brand new games.

I agree with that sentiment BUT maybe they should have cared about some good will for the Vita so it might have performed better. There was no reason for those games to be exclusives. They could have also been cross generation games for the PS4.

And the good will for the PS4 wasn't difficult to get after MS was literally a shit show with their Xbox vision.

Patapwn

The studio has for many years always pulled through on supporting niche platforms with relatively good quality games. I'm looking at a list of their record and I see psp, move, psvita and then finally VR. If Sony is going to commit to new mediums they need high quality studios dedicated to that task.

I think Sony is being shortsighted here. Yeah, the games probably weren't very profitable (if at all) on their own but I would think supporting a platform and giving it as much chance to succeed is the the better option. PSVR could have done with more Guerrilla Cambridges, not less

And then people wonder why they're not making money for Sony and releasing multi million selling games.

They were never supposed to.

Fezan

Sad to hear this news. Sony is really mismanaging smaller studio a lot this gen. Also closing studio which made best VR definitely gives me confidence in the project.

I love shu and I love that Sony gives creative freedom to developers but this seems to be case of mismanagement by higher ups

yurinka

Its fine that they made a psvr exclusive, they are supporting thier platform, but they need to not judge them based on a game with a TINY install base.

They should have let them make a ps4 game before deciding thier fate.
The studio has a long story with many projects. I doubt Sony decides to shut it down just because the sales of one launch game that has been well received.

For sure, it's almost impossible that a launch game has great sales. I doubt it has been shutted down just because of that.

Maybe they have a long history of non-profitable games, problems delivering milestones, issues in their colaboration with HQ or other studios, or something like that.

Sony is really mismanaging smaller studio a lot this gen.

I love shu and I love that Sony gives creative freedom to developers but this seems to be case of mismanagement by higher ups
Tell me more. They have a long history of releasing a fairly big amount of great games, both big and small in this a previous gens. Why is there a mismanagement issue from he higher ups?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another terrible piece of news for the UK gaming industry. Last year we lost Lionhead and Evolution, there aren't many decent-sized studios left. Really hoping Sea of Thieves can be a hit, for Rare's sake.

If closures need to be made, make them based on quality of output - not geographical location. From what I've read and heard, RIGS is maybe one of the top 3 VR games released - what more could the studio have done?

It's not as though Sony closed Cambridge because it's in the UK. The simple fact of the matter is that Sony is a business and the studio's output could no longer justify its existence. Such is the harsh reality of being part of a stable: once you no longer fit into the broader picture, you're out.

I wouldn't say it's strange. No publisher operates a studio purely out of goodwill.

I agree with that sentiment BUT maybe they should have cared about some good will for the Vita so it might have performed better. There was no reason for those games to be exclusives. They could have also been cross generation games for the PS4.

And the good will for the PS4 wasn't difficult to get after MS was literally a shit show with their Xbox vision.

Well, yeah, but I don't think they planned for that MS fiasco in advance.

But yeah, they could have brought those to Vita, they probably weren't hugely taxing games and it has since become more common for PS4/Vita cross-platform development.

I actually wonder how Knack did, it probably did better than we think lol.

The studio has for many years always pulled through on supporting niche platforms with relatively good quality games. I'm looking at a list of their record and I see psp, move, psvita and then finally VR. If Sony is going to commit to new mediums they need high quality studios dedicated to that task.

I think Sony is being shortsighted here. Yeah, the games probably weren't very profitable (if at all) on their own but I would think supporting a platform and giving it as much chance to succeed is the the better option. PSVR could have done with more Guerrilla Cambridges, not less

Yeah, I do think it's possible they were a little too tight with the wallet on this one, this studio has done pretty good work on their less served platforms.

Sydle

What makes you say that? They've made a ton of money for Sony with LBP and their games are also a critical success.

As we can see with the dev of topic in this thread, it's not so much about what you've done for me in the past it's about what you're doing now. It's always going to be about money at the end of the day.

I don't think Tearaway did very well and Dreams looks like it's made for a niche audience. My thoughts are that MM may still be small enough that they coast by however.

Probably because Sony feels that money can be better spent elsewhere. I mean to be frank what is better for Sony's bottom line, Syphon Filter and Medieval or having the budget for those games being put towards a AAA title or a marketing deal. The BLOPS3 bundle helped to sell more PS4s last December and this year than any first party title could.
But they keep harping about this is #4theplayers. Fans would love a new entry in both franchise for sure, even if sales will disagree.

They should change that hashtag to #4themoney.

But they keep harping about this is #4theplayers. Fans would love a new entry in both franchise for sure, even if sales will disagree.

Do you understand what marketing taglines are? You realize you can't literally "Have it your way" at Burger King, right?

When people take marketing taglines too seriously....All businesses want money, crazy I know.

Do you understand what marketing taglines are? You realize you can't literally "Have it your way" at Burger King, right?

You can't? I smell lawsuit.

Raylan

Banned

Yeah, let's ignore all the other games they brought back. It's only #4themoney, because they didn't resurrect your favourite PS1 IP, right :'D

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Yeah, let's ignore all the other games they brought back. It's only #4themoney, because they didn't resurrect your favourite PS1 IP, right :'D
I have zero stakes in these two IPs but I would love to get them on PS4.

Now if we talk about Legend of Dragoon, sure. I want a sequel to it. DAMNIT.

Helping with Shenmue 3, helping with Crash, LocoRoco, Patapon, WipEout, Parappa, etc.
Shenmue 3 is a funny story since the IP never released on PS. Not sure how it was associated to that platform :p

I will give you Crash but Loco Roco and the rest of the game are all PSP re-releases or HD remasters.

As we can see with the dev of topic in this thread, it's not so much about what you've done for me in the past it's about what you're doing now. It's always going to be about money at the end of the day.

I don't think Tearaway did very well and Dreams looks like it's made for a niche audience. My thoughts are that MM may still be small enough that they coast by however.

None of studios that have been closed have generated any where near the revenue that Media Molecule has in recent memory. They were probably 3rd behind Naughty Dog and PD last gen.

I also think it is way to early to call Dreams niche. We have seen nothing of the campaign yet. I think will be designed to be a micro-transaction goldmine just like LBP was.

Ooccoo

I wish Sony would have let them continue with the Killzone series since mercenaries was so good. They also knocked it out the park with RIGS. Wtf is with all these devs going under?

Bad priorities set by the players. When what people want are BETTER GRAPHIX, you get shitty games that are extremely expansive to develop.

Bad priorities set by the players. When what people want are BETTER GRAPHIX, you get shitty games that are extremely expansive to develop.

Plus with Day One DLC/Day One Editions, Microtransactions, Season Passes, more focus on FPS's, Sports, Open World games, Japanese games like FF XV being westernized, & all of this other shit on top.

This is why no generation will ever be as memorable to a lot of sensible people like myself as the 3rd through the 6th gens.

Bishop89

It's not weird at all. The titles underperformed.

I wouldn't say it's strange. No publisher operates a studio purely out of goodwill.

And yet Yoshida said (not too long ago I believe) something like 7/10 of their titles don't make money and they rely on the money made from 3/10ths of their releases to fund everything.

A studio that has been tasked pretty much solely with developing for hardware that was becoming obsolete (PSP); had become obsolete (Vita) or was never relevant to begin with (VR) delivered what was required for them every time and largely external factors (i.e. the hardware itself) signaled their lack of sales.

I know it's a business world and all that, but it seems especially heartless.

nampad

Microsoft terminate ropey product: 4000 posts of rage in 24 hours.

Sony terminate successful studio: 1000 posts of mildly miffed observations in 24 hours.

WTF is going on around here?

We are already more used to Sony closing down first party studios!

And yet Yoshida said (not too long ago I believe) something like 7/10 of their titles don't make money and they rely on the money made from 3/10ths of their releases to fund everything.

A studio that has been tasked pretty much solely with developing for hardware that was becoming obsolete (PSP); had become obsolete (Vita) or was never relevant to begin with (VR) delivered what was required for them every time and largely external factors (i.e. the hardware itself) signaled their lack of sales.

That's pretty much how publishing media works.

I agree with you that Cambridge has to suffer even tough they always delivered on their tasks. The issue was the management.

CamHostage

I mean, I'll miss Cambridge, but they were kept alive for 20 years and their top franchises were Primal and Medievil ... I feel like it's hard to say this came out of nowhere.

Also, as it said in the statement, Sony is "making changes to European studios structure", which would be a corporate analysis of business with lots of adjustments across operations, it'd just make sense that as part of this, they'd close offices that don't fit the new business plan. Cambridge helped with some engine tech, it helped with the European DVR, it made a VR game, etc; it was a versatile office, but (except for VR, which is interesting and unfortunate that Sony is closing a company that I had assumed would be more or less dedicated to VR the way other studios were more or less PSP/Vita developers) but the new roadmap may call for different needs.

I agree with you that Cambridge has to suffer even tough they always delivered on their tasks. The issue was the management.

As an owner of C-12, 24: The Game, I believe even TV Party (as well as several others from Cambridge), I wouldn't go THAT far to say that was the only issue. Then again, Killzone Mercenary was awesome and I have heard lots good about RIGS, so the Guerrilla relationship seemed like it was placing everything in place for a brighter future that sadly will not happen.

Dremark

Banned

They didn't underperform because of the work they did though, the games were solid, the stuff Sony had them make were titles to support things like new hardware rather than something which was likely to be a retail hit.

If they had them make something which actually fit the market they may have actually made a hit game.

I bet sony did this just for laughs and because they are evil.

You know it is actually possible to look at the from a realistic position and not agree with Sony's conclusion. It doesn't mean we think Sony is evil or vindictive or w/e it means we saw different value in the studio.

It is always sad to see a talented studio closing, we can think that Cambridge would have deserved its chance on PS4 but I do not know if the studio would enough have been big to develop his own AAA.

Sony should now concentrate to strengthen its biggest studios by allowing them to have the resources to form a second team.

Servbot24

Banned
Fuck Sony. Seriously annoyed when I heard this :(

It's Sony's oldest studio I believe.

So many good memories from my time there too, such a shame. It was in a great location too.

If you're gonna say "fuck" anyone, fuck the fans. It's not Sony's job to throw money in the trash.

Novocaine

If you're gonna say "fuck" anyone, fuck the fans. It's not Sony's job to throw money in the trash.

I guess it depends on whether or not it was their idea or Sony's to make games for their niche platforms or not. KZ and Rigs would have had way better exposure and in turn probably had much better sales if they were on PS4 instead.

If it was Sony then a "fuck them" is valid IMO. If it was their choice well they kind of shot themselves in the foot.

Either way it's sad to see them gone, I had a lot of fun with their games.

I'm sure Cambridge wanted to work on Play TV, a PSP version of LBP in 2009, a Move only party game, a Vita game from another studio's franchise and now a launch game for an accessory.

I mean it's obvious Sony commissioned most of those games.

CamHostage

If they had them make something which actually fit the market they may have actually made a hit game.

...But we're talking about a company with 20 years of history at Sony (and more before that.) They made things for the market, and they were not hits.

Granted, it was years ago, but Primal, GhostHunter and 24 all performed well below hopes and were shucked off of SCE America's release library for disinterest in publishing. (Yes, that was a bad time for SCEE/SCEA relations for some weird reason, but I have all three of those and don't like them for much more than their ambitions.) PS3 era, they became a utility studio and survived and thrived, but it sounds like Sony's not looking for that need anymore. Killzone Mercenary was awesome and I believe sold okay, so that was something to build on, but not necessarily a calling card that this team was now AAA again. I was hoping that KZ:M and the Guerrilla relationship was their new future (haven't played Rigs and have only heard wild love or brutal hate so I'm not sure how it'd perform without VR sickness getting in its way,) but the studio has been on a don't-call-us-we'll-call-you basis for a long time with few homeruns to prove it is better than its rep. Cambridge has no active brands that makes it invaluable, and its best work was on a franchise (Killzone) that appears to be moving into a dormant period. And it just makes sense that if Sony is going to restructure its European operations, and in general look at where its market is now without a portable and with VR in flux and with no middle tier between franchises and indies, they'd take a hard look at teams like this.

Top Bottom