• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla celebrates 20 years

LordOfChaos

The year we formed Guerrilla, 2003, was an interesting time for gaming. The PlayStation 2 had launched three years earlier to critical acclaim. People were losing their minds over the technological feats being achieved with all the power it offered (six whole GFLOPS!).

Early days of development​

Meanwhile, we were working hard in the Netherlands – some of us making Game Boy Color games. We were called Lost Boys, we were scrappy, maybe flying by the seat of our pants a little, but we were also ambitious. So, when the opportunity came up to create these new experiences that push boundaries and steer the industry, we grabbed it with both hands.

It was a time of experimentation, and it was exciting to be at the forefront of innovative, interactive technology. I think it’s clear that’s still in our DNA – in Decima, especially.

As Guerrilla, we made a lot of work for ourselves right off the bat, creating 3D immersive games with Shellshock: Nam ‘67 and Killzone. Unexpectedly, our small studio was quickly catapulted to the global stage. Killzone’s gritty galactic war captured the imagination of gamers, and we were proud of having made a mark in the industry and having developed a first-person shooter for Sony.

Boy I'd love to see what a PS5 only Killzone looks like, especially after Burning Shores looking so good. We can all agree to forget the plot of Shadowfall even 😅

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Would be cool if we got a killzone where you play as the helghast. they moved past Horizon already.

Fixed that for you.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

Last edited:

CamHostage

Kind of a shame they couldn't find a way to put any Killzone Liberation footage in there, as that's actually one of my favorite games from then, but otherwise a good retrospective. Looking forwards to what the next 20 brings...

envyzeal

Behemoth studio. Great numbers and a technical marvel. I'm not very into Death Stranding, but I can't wait to see what Kojima will create with the new engine.

Alebrije

Hope they deliver a new IP soon..something different ...think they have the expertise to release a RPG combining KillZone and Horizont...

Kurimao

Phuck them for ignoring their legacy franchise that what made them they are now.

Remaster/Remake Killzone 1 & 2 bitches!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Damn, 20 years already? We getting old, fam.
Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

I unironically fired up Killlzone Mercenaries last night on the Vita after not playing it for years, and I am still blown away at how fantastic it looks and plays. Best Killzone next to 2.

Damned wizards with their tech. Especially when there is more powerful handheld hardware out now that has yet to match that fidelity.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Damn, 20 years already? We getting old, fam.
Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

I unironically fired up Killlzone Mercenaries last night on the Vita after not playing it for years, and I am still blown away at how fantastic it looks and plays. Best Killzone next to 2.

Damned wizards with their tech. Especially when there is more powerful handheld hardware out now that has yet to match that fidelity.
I think what Mercenary nails (besides the graphics) is how its sessions are built around being a portable game. It’s not just a console game that’s put on a handheld. It’s a 100% handheld game, but with console graphics.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think what Mercenary nails (besides the graphics) is how its sessions are built around being a portable game. It’s not just a console game that’s put on a handheld. It’s a 100% handheld game, but with console graphics.
Could not agree more. Easy in and out modes with great challenge/missions structures that is perfectly ideal for handheld gaming sessions.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Brian Cox was the perfect choice - but damn - that script. That’s the stuff of dreams for any actor. Every syllable was delivered with perfection.
Killzone 2 intro is god tier.

I’ve dreamed for a day where we get a Killzone console game where we play as the Helghast. I mean, i was kind of on their side the whole time. Their story is fucked up.

Humdinger

Cool. I loved the first Horizon, enjoyed the second, too. I tried a Killzone once but couldn't get into it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A new kill zone would be amazing . Especially if they added an extraction mode.

Tarkov gameplay loop with kill zone graphics ? Sheeeeeesh.

Top Bottom